PDA

View Full Version : Office 12 Screens.....yuck...

KingBahamut
September 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Its all artsy fartsy aqua looking and crap.

What is this , a facelift or a version release?

Stormy Eyes
September 13th, 2005, 07:54 PM
The blue-eyed programmer cat is not impressed. *meow*

PatrickMay16
September 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Looks to me like the interface is completely different to older versions in no way that is useful.

kostkon
September 13th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Not impressed at all...!!

KingBahamut
September 13th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Ok maybe im an idiot, but

wtf is an Alpha Channel?

Stormy Eyes
September 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Ok maybe im an idiot, but

wtf is an Alpha Channel?

Here's a definition. (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/alpha_channel.html)

Muhammad
September 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM
In my opinion, the new color theme looks disgusting, but that's just my opinion.

Stormy Eyes
September 13th, 2005, 08:39 PM
In my opinion, the new color theme looks disgusting, but that's just my opinion.

I agree. You'd have to pay me to use Vista or Office 12. Then again, you have to pay me to use Win2K.

KingBahamut
September 13th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Would take a bit more than payin me to get me to use Vista or its compliant Office product.

Id liken it to something like The Rack, or the Water Wheel, or some other disgusting dungeon related device.

caspar_wrede
September 13th, 2005, 08:55 PM
HHmmmm, keep get it factual here people. These are just pictures. You guys have no idea what actual features the new Office has.

Let's remember that even though Microsoft gives us enough reasons to feel anything between dislike (in my case) and hate for them, they do make absolutely ground-breaking office software (overall) and will continue to so for at least three years. By groundbreaking I mean office software that everyone else tries to copy (yes I'm talking about OpenOFfice and Evolution here) in terms of usability (and I'm exlucing closed standards here).

Let's not become parodies of ourselves here are try and talk bad about EVERYTHING that microsoft does.

KingBahamut
September 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM
caspar, I have no problem militaristically berating M$ for what it does and how it chooses to do it. I have great disdain for what MS tries to do , based merely on the fact that other are more successful than MS is comparitively. As for what MS does with its Office Product. Its proprietary, that alone is reason enough for me to hate it.

If MS as a company opened up a little, I might , and I emphasize the word MIGHT, have a little more of an open mind about what they do and dont do.

tageiru
September 13th, 2005, 09:08 PM
The color scheme might be a bit on the wild side, but i like how they have solved the toolbar. It gives a better overview then the endless rows of buttons that currently constitutes the word processing interface.

It will be interesting to see how long it will take for OpenOffice.org to copy it.

tseliot
September 13th, 2005, 09:16 PM
HHmmmm, keep get it factual here people. These are just pictures. You guys have no idea what actual features the new Office has.

Let's remember that even though Microsoft gives us enough reasons to feel anything between dislike (in my case) and hate for them, they do make absolutely ground-breaking office software (overall) and will continue to so for at least three years. By groundbreaking I mean office software that everyone else tries to copy (yes I'm talking about OpenOFfice and Evolution here) in terms of usability (and I'm exlucing closed standards here).

Let's not become parodies of ourselves here are try and talk bad about EVERYTHING that microsoft does.
I used Openoffice in Windows xp as I like it more than Microsoft Office. Thanks to Openoffice I discovered the world of opensource software and Linux. I assure I have used windows since version 3.11 and tried them all (Office versions included) and I thank God every day for the choice I made (bye bye Windows...). I know how Microsoft works and I don't like it.

I'm not so blind that I cannot recognise whether a software is better (for my needs) than another one and if Microsoft products were the best ones (for me, again) I would have no problems to use them and I would switch back to them. Believe me, I'm sincere.

However I understand your point and you're right to think the way you do.

izmaelis
September 13th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Hell yeah, dude, I do agree with you in all 100%. Please, all of you who don't think the same, don't get me wrong, but shouting "M$ sucks & must die", "OMG M$ iz ugly" is not so cool anymore. IMHO, there are much more obvious ugliness in my Linux desktop right now (maybe, I can blame only me for being n00b), but I took red pill of knowledge and that's the main difference (not in "how does it look" thing).

Hamman
September 13th, 2005, 10:20 PM
This is really good for OpenOffice, as this will require corporations to re-educate their employees. MS just lost one thing: famliarity. If you have to re-educate, why not choose the version that is free?
The only benefit Office really has over OOo (for corporations) is better support for MS' formats and the fact that a giant company such as MS is backing it.
Some people claim that Office is better at certain tasks, but that I can't comment on.

Curlydave
September 13th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Some people claim that Office is better at certain tasks, but that I can't comment on.

It kinda sucks when you need to add an equation and R2 value to your regression line/curve in OO Calc and you can't do it and end up losing points on an assignment because you forgot to bring your MSoffice CD to college...

drizek
September 13th, 2005, 11:15 PM
dont want to sound like an anti-MS fanboy or anything, but when i saw those screenshots i just couldnt believe it. its like they bought a book on interface design and took a huge **** on it. Not only is this crap confusing, it takes up so much space as well. not to mention the fact that it is ugly as sin.

Office 2000 was the last decent one out there. Oh wait, nevermind, it had clippy.

jdong
September 13th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Am I the only one to see the Apple-style brushed metal look?

bored2k
September 13th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Am I the only one to see the Apple-style brushed metal look?
Nope.

jdong
September 13th, 2005, 11:31 PM
check it out, guys, I made my Openoffice look just like the new Office!

bored2k
September 13th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Lol that's so _*bleep*_ funny.

KingBahamut
September 13th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Bored your 9/10ths of wrong for that one.

I think It looks just like it.

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 12:37 AM

SOOOOOOOOOOOO funny.

Office 2k was the peak of the series. It works so well in Crossover, I should just buy it on ebay.

bob_c_b
September 14th, 2005, 12:43 AM
they do make absolutely ground-breaking office software (overall) and will continue to so for at least three years. By groundbreaking I mean office software that everyone else tries to copy

As someone who works full time supporting many Windows only clients I have to ask; what ground breaking features? Ask even the most devout Office supporter and even they will admit that Office XP and 2003 are incremental updates at best, the last major Office release was the step to Office 2000. XP was a money grab and 2003 was supposed to push more MS server products on the back end (so far it has failed).

Office 12 is designed specifically to create lock-in and tighten MS grip on your data, each version released will be semi-crippled without the complimenting online service or MS server product on the back end of your network. There is a huge push for any business to almost need an Exchange Server to get their moneys worth. I consult for a large firm and we are required to sit through a couple MS events every quarter (part of our "Gold Partner" status agreement to keep the seats looking full at press events/sales pitches). We just went to a "your enterprise and Office 12" prep meeting last month, this is truly a case of "nothing to see here, move along" which is why they are already greasing the rails with the mid to large VARs and channel partners, they know 2003 was a tough sell and Office 12 will be tougher. The entire meeting was "move your customer to Office 12 and within 90 days you will be back in to upgrade their Exchange Server, or add other server products to "enhance" their Office experience. This is all about Exchange, SQL and SharePoint Portal Server, which also just happen to require a server OS license and per seat CALs as well. Money grab. ](*,) After this dog-and-poney show my boss asked me to start putting together proposals for StarOffice/OpenOffice rollouts and is finally talking about LAMP in a serious way, he knows our client base cannot afford solutions this expensive and we will need alternatives. Thanks MS!

The only parody would be if we pretended MS had really brought anything new to the table here, and they haven't. While I don't consder myself an ABMer I also have no illusions left that MS is pushing out yet another incremental upgrade that has way more to do with file formats and license revenue than it does with "groundbreaking" features. F/OSS is they key to breaking this cycle and MS knows it.

Muhammad
September 14th, 2005, 12:49 AM

LMAO

skirkpatrick
September 14th, 2005, 03:43 AM
You know, every time I upgraded my wife's machine to a new version of Windows or Office, the first thing she would complain about is that she couldn't find anything because it had been moved around or looked different. It would her weeks or months (part time usage) to get back to her old productivity level. I'm willing to bet that MS is going to **** off a whole bunch of part-time users. How many people have bought Word and use it only occassionally?

In my opinion as a programmer for 15 years, most of which was spent developing user interfaces, that is one ugly piece of crap and looks difficult to use. And I had always thought that MS was one of the best UI developers out there.

professor_chaos
September 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Thanks for you input bob_c_b!

Office 2000, is all most need (if they want MS Office). But Openoffice does everything I need. Office 2003 was major bloat, and Office 12 doesn't look that good.

Right on, Right on, Right on!

benplaut
September 14th, 2005, 05:31 AM
you know... i don't care how good or bad it is. if it can't be WINE'd. i aint usin it.

GoA
September 14th, 2005, 06:28 AM
I think it's looking very good. Also Office 2003 looks so much better than openoffice. However, Microsoft has more money than linux distributions so it can develop things more faster than in linux side. Most of the common users will think that that looks good. And I'm one of them. And that's a one problem on linux side, looks. Of course you can get kde and gnome to look good. But then there is openoffice which just isn't intengrated fot the rest of the desktop environment. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't have anything nice extra on looks.

drizek
September 14th, 2005, 06:38 AM
youre very wrong about OOo. i think it looks much better than any version of MS office due to their bloat and it does everything i need.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/79/snapshot15nt.th.png (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot15nt.png)

Qrk
September 14th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I have office 2003. I bought it for 7$ and have only ever used it for powerpoint. Openoffice makes fine presentations, but only if you present it in open office.
2003 is ugly though. They made these tubular blue toolbars that look prety in screenshots, but are visually distracting.

bob_c_b
September 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I think it's looking very good. Also Office 2003 looks so much better than openoffice. However, Microsoft has more money than linux distributions so it can develop things more faster than in linux side. Most of the common users will think that that looks good. And I'm one of them. And that's a one problem on linux side, looks. Of course you can get kde and gnome to look good. But then there is openoffice which just isn't intengrated fot the rest of the desktop environment. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't have anything nice extra on looks.

Judging software by eye-candy is a poor measuring stick at best, and honestly, outside of hiding some menu items (a feature that has been around since Office 2000) and adding transparency (which is far from free as Vista requires a hefty video card to get all those bells and whistles) I don't see any advances here. And honestly, MS wishes it could develop and respond as fast as Linux.

Heliode
September 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
The more I see of new MS products (Vista, Office 12, MSN 7) the happier I am that i've learned to use Linux! Looks like it was just in time, too!

getaceres
September 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I like the new look.
I agree it could be a bad idea from the usability point of view, and I also agree that Office hasn't advanced since Office 2000 so Office XP and Office 2003 are useless.
But I don't think that GUI is ugly. It's modern and it's different from everything I've seen.
I also agree that MS is copying OSX, but that's a different story.

bob_c_b
September 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
The problem is that people are confusing that "new look" with an actual software improvement. Changing widgets, adding transparent borders and shuffling the tool bar icons is hardly innovation worthy of $400+ per seat for most customers.

Perfect Storm
September 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
An Another point of view is that all that eyecandy for an office program is totally waste IMO. Who need fancy resourcing hog eyecandy for letter writtings, excel etc?
In fact it's much better to have a simple neutral non-destracting stuff when doing some work (IMO)...well atleast for me :P

Kimm
September 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
That looks realy realy uggly, I'm sure it has some neat features... but usuability... hm.... I wounder

Lord Illidan
September 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Divided opinions here.

I like it. Well, it does look similar, in fact, too similar to MAC OS X aqua interface, but considering how the aqua interface is considered to be the best interface around, I don't think it is a bad thing.
However, I hope there are more new features than just a face-lift.

For example, look at XP's "new" control panel, which is categorised. Within seconds, I changed it to classical, as I couldn't get anything done. However, newbies find it enlightening...

Heliode
September 14th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I don't actually mind MS copying stuff from Apple. What I mind is them getting away with it. When people who use Vista and Office 12 see OSX, they'll be like "Does Apple do that as well??" (instead of realising its the other way around).

They 'borrowed' the graphical interface from Apple, and since then they have done very, very little innovation themselves. It almost looks like they're using Apple as their marketing research department; as soon as something they do is successful, they do the exact same thing. They let Apple walk the thin ice, and when it seems to hold they move in and claim to have been there first.

I'd hate to sound bitter but I've had too many conversations with pro-MS people who claim MS invented lots of things that were actually either open standards or blatant rip-offs from others.

I guess my point is "Rip off? Fine. But don't claim it is your own."
You'd come to expect more from the richest man in the world.

jdong
September 14th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Microsoft is giving out orders to remove all Office 12 screenshots. To prevent any trouble from MS, I've decided to remove the Office 12 screenshots.

The Save Dialog isn't too specific, so I'll let that stay for now.

kcy29581
September 14th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I will say as far as usability goes, I like what Office 12 looks to be.

Microsoft (not M$...) actually did say in PDC 05 that some (not all...) of the shown features already exist in Office 2003. They are just listening to people as always, and refining the product.

Using my "end-user" profile, I do not care who makes the application; if it does what I want, then great. If it does not, I'll look for an alternative.
Competitiveness is a good thing, maybe the Openoffice devs will see something they like (not code, features), or maybe someone else will add it to their program.

bob_c_b
September 14th, 2005, 11:41 PM
They are just listening to people as always.

That line got a laugh out of me...

kcy29581
September 15th, 2005, 02:41 AM
That line got a laugh out of me...hey, I never said it ALWAYS works! :-P