PDA

View Full Version : What do u think of KDE4 so far?

theharshone
December 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Since kde4 is coming out, i was wondering what everyone else thought about it. I've compiled the svn versions and they are coming good, but what do YOU think?

**edit: sorry for posting in the wrong forum

mike^_^
December 29th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I tried the OpenSUSE kde4 livecd, although I've never been much of a KDE fan. I was actually pretty dissapointed, as much hype as it's gotten so far, it didn't really live up to what I expected it to be. But as with most "factory" SUSE DE's it had quite a few SUSE-centric integrations; I suppose once vanilla kde4 finds it's way into the portage tree i'll try it again.

RomeReactor
December 29th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi. From what I've seen so far I definitely like it, but it's still early to early to fully evaluate since it's a beta product. I am expecting a more polished KDE by January, though.

TidusBlade
December 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
It looks awesome, but I will only use it if it is fast and productive, or else Ill wait for KDE4.1 or cling to 3.5
I guess it will suck at the very start because of a few bugs but the KDE team will iron them out!

billgoldberg
December 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I installed the KD4 RC2 on ubuntu, but after one session I ditched it.

The bottom panel is just WAY to big. It looks nice and all but it took like 20% of my screen.

That's just to much.

I also find it "start" menu not to be snappy enough and not very handy.

I like the widgets.

Changing a wallpaper by right clicking the desktop, was HELL.

Having two filemanagers is a bad idea.

mrgnash
December 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Rubbish.

SunnyRabbiera
December 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I will remain on the fence till KDE 4.1

smartboyathome
December 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Eh, I tried the RC1, but didn't like it that much and haven't bothered with it since.

geekgod
December 29th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I loaded rc2 on a partition and all looks ok.. I havent tore into the settings to smooth it out but seems clunky.. Dont like the menus so much.

happysmileman
January 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
I like it, just not really the way it looks, but then again I found KDE3.5 to be ugly as well, until I themed the hell out of it. I have a feeling with a few trips to kde-look.org it'd be perfect, but I have no idea when any good themes will be made for it.

Darkhack
January 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm really impressed with KDE 4 as a development platform with Qt, KParts, Phonon, Plasma, Solid, and all the other goodies they're putting in. Those under the hood changes are amazing. Unfortunately, I think the KDE developers have forgotten what it is they are working on. They're writing a desktop environment for end users. KDE is not just a development platform, but a GUI and series of applications for end users too. The libraries are RC quality and are safe to start developing against while maintaining binary/source compatibility, but the end user experience quite frankly sucks. It's alpha quality software and a lot of things aren't even done! I think it is very deceiving to users to release such poor quality software as a "stable" release (4.0). KDE 4.0 needs another six months of development time. They're like the Vista of the FOSS world; rushing something out the door when it isn't ready and making us wait for SP1 or SP2 (KDE 4.1 / 4.2) until it is usable.

If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall that the original release date way back when was October 23, 2007. I'm not a KDE developer, but I've been following their work. Even way back then, I knew this date was unrealistic. I was almost laughing at how silly such a date was and when it was postponed to only December, I was practically begging the release team to tell me what they were smoking because I wanted some! My original estimate was March 2008.

kellemes
January 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
They're like the Vista of the FOSS world; rushing something out the door when it isn't ready and making us wait for SP1 or SP2 (KDE 4.1 / 4.2) until it is usable.

I feel there is a lot of innovation coming from KDE. They take people serious by building the biggest featureset of any w/dm. It's very customizable and with a little tweaking it can run pretty damn well on lighter systems.
I've been running KDE(mod) on Arch for some time and haven't seen this performance using Gnome on any system, eventhough KDE has a bigger featureset.

They have the guts to make a lot of changes, time will tell if it'll be a improvement.

snakeeyes
January 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
KDE has always been excellent, I really hope KDE 4 is as customizable and usable with the release of KDE 4.

maniacmusician
January 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
KDE has always been excellent, I really hope KDE 4 is as customizable and usable with the release of KDE 4.
Well, many of the pieces of software that make up the "end-user experience" aren't slated to be finished until 4.1, so you may want to wait till then to start using it. Of course, you could go with 4.0 with the intention of helping with bug finding and usability testing, I'm sure that would be appreciated by the developers.

I'm really looking forward to 4.1 for the completion of many of the programs that I'm excited about; Amarok 2, KOffice 2, Plasma, etc. I'm also looking forward to 4.2; I think the period of time between 4.1 and 4.2 will see one of the largest bursts of user-generated content. Themes, Plasmoids (this has a lot of potential; alternative menus, panels, system trays, along with conventional applets, will offer previously unattainable levels of customization), the possibilities are really endless.

tehet
January 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
One of the first Plasma themes:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Theme:+Slim+Glow?content=74329
I think it looks very nice.