PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu and mepis

stlcoptony
December 29th, 2007, 05:31 AM
This is not meant to be a "which is better" post. I have a laptop that is ubuntu only, after it won a long hard battle with vista. My desktop had vista and ubuntu and was used mainly for games. After only having the computer for about 4 or 5 months, vista died. I could not even get it to boot. I had to use an ubuntu live cd and transfer what I could to the external hard drive. I am anticipating a long, hard battle with HP to try to get an install disk for vista, so I am going linux only for a while. I used Mepis for about year and it was my intro to linux. However, at that time I knew nothing at all about linux in general.

Now I have progressed to knowing slightly more than nothing about linux and I am considering the new mepis 7 for the desktop. What differences should I expect (I can't remember too much about mepis, except that they also have a superb, though smaller, forum and community, and that I really liked amarok at the time)? I used mepis exclusively for about a year and it is what made me decide that windows wasn't that great after all. is the "sudo" command the same? what is "su"? I imagine I will be putting ubuntu on there also, but I just wanted everyones take on what challenges will be different.

thanks,
tony

Lostincyberspace
December 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM
su changes the user its like logging in again as root, sudo just lets you do a command or two as root.

stlcoptony
December 29th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Also, sorry to be asking this here, but I think I had this problem with ubuntu as well. When I boot up mepis 7's livecd, I do not get a gui screen and the option for one (pressing ctrl+alt+F7) does not work either. When I try to login in graphically and type startx, it tells me that no devices are detected. I am currently installing after selecting the vesa option at boot. I know that I will have to edit the xorg.conf file to get this to work, but can anyone tell me how?
P.S. - Although I like problem solving with linux, this alone is a strong endorsment to stick with ubuntu. I hope this is something they fix. I wish they had stayed ubuntu-based!!

stlcoptony
December 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
cancel that, I just decided to go all ubuntu. I want to learn one distro before trying another and I am just starting to understand ubuntu

thanks