PDA

View Full Version : Text message spam

Mateo
December 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Anyone else had this problem? I have gotten a few spam messages the past couple of months. Since I don't have an unlimited text message plan (since I don't use them), these things are costing me 15 cents!! 15 cents for the pleasure of getting spam! What can be done?

fatality_uk
December 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Anyone else had this problem? I have gotten a few spam messages the past couple of months. Since I don't have an unlimited text message plan (since I don't use them), these things are costing me 15 cents!! 15 cents for the pleasure of getting spam! What can be done?

WRITE to your service provider email and MOST of all, by registered letter. Tell them, the date, time and message ID of each bit of spam. Then tell them that you did NOT request these messages and that you actively protect your mobile/cell phone number. Tell them that if any further SPAM messages sent to you, THROUGH THEIR NETWORK, that you will initially expect a full refund for any and all charges related to the retrival of these messages.

If messages continue to come to your inbox, you will take the matter further.

Should do the trick, worked for me.

Hope it helps

mikeypizano
December 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I got one of them too. The funny thing was that the message was about computer programing!

zipperback
December 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I'm guessing you're talking about text messages on your cell phone RIGHT?

There is very little that can be done about text message spam at this point, unless your phone can create a "safe list" for people who can text message you, and then just block those who aren't in your safe list.

It's very similar to email spam.

If you don't use text messages at all on your phone, contact your cell company and have them disable text messages on your account, and then you wont get them at all.

Keep a record of all spam text messages and report them to your cell provider, and request refunds for them.

- zipperback
:KS

mips
December 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Where do you live that you pay for incoming text messages ? I find that weird, over here you don't pay for anything incoming, be it calls, text, mms etc.

I would complain to your service provider. First try their customer care number then email them & then write to them.

Fortunately we don't get much in the ways of text spam here. Maybe the people are scared of our electronic laws which cover spamming and you can get a hefty fine if guilty.