PDA

View Full Version : Distrowatch.com discussion thread

tunyawat
December 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know why PCLinuxOS has been #1 in Distrowatch.com. Is there something wrong with Ubuntu? Is it because of the default orange colour theme?

stoodleysnow
December 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM
No, it's because PCLinuxOS have been cheating.:(

sloggerkhan
December 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
It's because nobody visits distrowatch often, and I believe that page rankings are based on people clicking the distro link on the distrowatch page. Ubuntu people probably don't go there too often, and pclinuxos probably has a campaign to boost their ranking or something.

kinematic
December 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Isn't it funny how nobody can stand to see someone else do good and start accusing PCLOS of cheating. I used to use PCLOS when I first started my Linux adventure and I can say that they DO NOT cheat. It's a very solid distro wich caters to people who are new to Linux without them having to worry something will blow up in their face when updating the system, maybe that's why they're number 1. (Ubuntu could learn a trick or 2 from the PCLOS devs in that department).

snakeeyes
December 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Isn't it funny how nobody can stand to see someone else do good and start accusing PCLOS of cheating. I used to use PCLOS when I first started my Linux adventure and I can say that they DO NOT cheat. It's a very solid distro wich caters to people who are new to Linux without them having to worry something will blow up in their face when updating the system, maybe that's why they're number 1. (Ubuntu could learn a trick or 2 from the PCLOS devs in that department).
I agree!

oldb0y
December 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
What is the big deal? Who cares where Ubuntu is placed on a silly ranking...

Don't you experience Ubuntu the same way?

evil316
December 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
They link to distrowatch from their homepage. I don't see the big problem anyway cause it looks like a very nice distro.

sloggerkhan
December 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I don't think they cheat. I think they care more about distrowatch than ubuntu users, so go there more and encourage their users to do so. I don't see how that's cheating.

stoodleysnow
December 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
OK, sorry. Just thought that was it since PCLOS doesn't seem to be anywhere near as popular in the real world, and I've heard rumours. :mrgreen:

sub2007
December 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well actually, if you add Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu then they exceed PCLOS. But that's beyond the two most important points:

1. Just because it is top of Distrowatch doesn't mean that it is a more popular distro, it just means that it has more page hits at Distrowatch and is not at all related to the number of people using the distro, it's probably more related to the amount of interest for the distro at the moment. It certainly doesn't mean that it's a better distro.
2. Does it really matter which distro is at the top? I don't care, as far as I see it's not a competition to be the most popular distro. It's a matter of finding a distro that you're comfortable with and enjoy using. I think that the more GNU/Linux users there are the better, I don't mind whether they want to use Ubuntu, Debian, PCLOS, Mandriva, Open SUSE or any of the other distros.

For what it's worth (probably not much but still) I don't buy the whole "PCLOS cheats" idea...

stoodleysnow
December 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM
So long as Ubuntu wins:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::-D:mrgreen::rolleyes:

GeneralZod
December 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know why PCLinuxOS has been #1 in Distrowatch.com. Is there something wrong with Ubuntu?

No, there's something wrong with Distrowatch :) Basically, Distrowatch rankings measure page hits for each distro, which gives a good idea of ... how many page hits each distro gets on Distrowatch. And little else.

gn2
December 28th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Distrowatch themselves state the rankings are just for fun and indicate nothing significant.

PCLinuxOS is a far better introduction to Linux than Ubuntu.

It has GUI configuration tools for everything, an area in which Ubuntu has improved recently, but there's still things missing.

XFCE aficionados should note that Sam Linux has just released a 2008 RC1.

Now that's something useful on Distrowatch, keeping track of interesting releases rather than how many times a particular link has been clicked.

evil316
December 28th, 2007, 07:26 PM
If you click on major distro's link from the distrowatch homepage you'll notice Ubuntu listed first and it says it's the most popular desktop linux distro.

Plus with low number of Ubuntu users clicking on distrowatch can also be viewed as Ubuntu users are satisfied with their distros and don't care what else is out there.

OoooMatron
December 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Being a ubuntu user the last page i actually check for ubuntu news is distrowatch.

I use DW to check out news of other distros, pclinuxos included.

kshane
December 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Every once in a while, I get bored and try another distro. I go to Distro Watch then. I've tried a number of other distros, but I've only clicked on Ubuntu from there once: when I first downloaded Ubuntu (Feisty).

Oh, I have never tried PCLinuxOS, but I think I'll give it a whirl. It'll probably end up in my stack of other distros, including Vista, that are gathering dust...
:lolflag:

Kevin

lyceum
December 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I read a post written by the webmaster of Distrowatch and, if I read it right, he took PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu off for a day (or so) and Ubuntu was #1. I think people just click on it to see why it is #1, and that gives it the most views. If there was no distro watch, Ubuntu would get the most clicks.

zipperback
December 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I don't know why PCLinuxOS has been #1 in Distrowatch.com. Is there something wrong with Ubuntu? Is it because of the default orange colour theme?

Distrowatch reports the following for the top 4 distros.

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 PCLinuxOS 2743
2 Ubuntu 2224
3 openSUSE 1516
4 Fedora 1222

*H.P.D = hits per day

All that is saying is that there were 2743 hits to PCLinuxOS on Distrowatch as compared to 2224 for Ubuntu on Distrowatch.

There are things about PCLinuxOS which appeal to people, just as there are things about Ubuntu which appeal to people.

Given the fact that Ubuntu happens to be in the top 10 distributions of Linux on distrowatch should speak for itself though.

:KS Ubuntu :KS is a great distribution and :KS PCLinuxOS :KS is a great distribution.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

- zipperback

evil316
December 28th, 2007, 08:19 PM
It's interesting that the default orange theme for Ubuntu was mentioned. If you think that holds Ubuntu back you should also consider that the name PCLinuxOS is not a catchy name that that could be holding PCLinuxOS back.

gnomeuser
December 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I have honest to Einstein never met a real life PC Linux OS user, I'm beginning to doubt they exist. Then again Distrowatch doesn't really present an honest statistic of use, the best in that respect is still smolt.

I do suspect cheating has been involved, it wouldn't be the first time.

Saint Angeles
December 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM
why am i not on the list?

im just as cool as PCLOS

Dark Hornet
December 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
You know...its funny...I have been using Ubuntu for 1.5 years, and I have NEVER visited distrowatch...lol.

Vaelrith
December 28th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Never used it, but the logo and the window borders remind me of windows. That doesn't mean it's bad though, it looks good, but I'll not try it, not a fan of KDE.

fatality_uk
December 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Figures like these are always angled depending on how you count them. For instance, the current market share for Linux is estimated at about 1.5% That's about 1% short of what I think is the reality. Think of all the "OLD" PC's out there using Linux as a media server for the home or just a way to bring back an old PIII!! Think of all the PC's that have Linux unstalled but don't visit the sites that go into making up these lists!!

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/linux-desktop-i-want-to-believe.jpg/bmi_orig_img/linux-desktop-i-want-to-believe.jpg

Spr0k3t
December 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM

It doesn't matter who holds the "#1" position on Distrowatch. What matters is Linux popularity is growing.

tunyawat
December 28th, 2007, 11:34 PM
It's interesting that the default orange theme for Ubuntu was mentioned. If you think that holds Ubuntu back you should also consider that the name PCLinuxOS is not a catchy name that that could be holding PCLinuxOS back.

How did you know my thought. I have had a really hard time spelling PCLinuxOS as I always remember it as PCOSLinux!!! This might be one of the reasons why people go to DistroWatch to reach the PCOSLinux page.

jrusso2
December 29th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Its because PCLinux OS is much easier to use for new users. It has all the codecs and flash and java and nvidia and ati ready to go.

Linux Mint was moved way up on distro watch too.,

Won't be long before Ubuntu is behind Mint

bgast1
December 29th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I am a new user to Linux and I don't think PCLOS is easier to use than Ubuntu. Perhaps because the Ubuntu community is a lot more supportive than over at the PCLOS community. I can post in a forum here and get an answer a lot more quickly.

I would like to give Open Suse a whirl, but I can't get my video card to work in that distro.

PCLOS works like a charm, but it had other problems with my hardware, and I was not able to install it the way that I wanted to.

I also like to try different distros, because it is fun for me.

Windows XP has never given me any problems on my computer. Linux has a huge learning curve for me. But I can't stand Microsoft, hence I would rather run Linux completely.. I just wish Linux was better with gaming.

Elvish Legion
December 29th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Using PcLinuxos then coming back to ubuntu or debian I must admit a huge difference

Ubuntu you have to work a little on some things (flash/ codecs etc) if you don't know where to look, pclinux this is already done for you.

Ubuntu seems a much larger distro than pclinux (and much better repos) who cares what ranks where on distro watch...I mean look at debian!

Sporkman
December 29th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Is it because of the default orange colour theme?

:lol:

K.Mandla
December 29th, 2007, 01:16 AM
It is with great pleasure that I move this thread to Recurring Discussions.

mick222
December 29th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Its because PCLinux OS is much easier to use for new users. It has all the codecs and flash and java and nvidia and ati ready to go.

I like mint but is it really a distro or just a version of Ubuntu if linux is going to stay " free" people will always need to install codecs etc . Fedora now includes an app that asks you to pay for licenses for codecs , maybe to stay legal other distros will have to follow suit.
bgast1 I'm like you tried linux loved it and won't ever go back to windows but might settle down and use only ubuntu because of the community.
p.s. who cares about charts.

foxmulder881
December 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I though I'd express my opinion here on the popularity of Ubuntu and how long it can remain at the top of the list of popular tux distros.

The screenshot below was only just taken from Distrowatch.org so it's up-to-date as of right now.

http://img.techpowerup.org/071229/Screenshot.png

Here are my observations in reference to the top 4 big guns, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse and PCLinuxOS.

Over the past 12 months, Ubuntu has been the only distro to lose popularity over all categories of 12, 6, 3 and 1 month comparisons.

Fedora has had a good year across the 12, 6 and 3 month categories. But for some reason dropped slightly in the last month. I suspect that will change as Fedora 8 seeps into the community.

OpenSuse has not really performed as good as I would have expected this year. As both Gnome and KDE releases of 10.3 were solid releases and well-worthy of an install.

PCLinuxOS has had a ripper of a year and has edged out Ubuntu from the #1 spot in 3 of the 4 categories. Overall after 12 months, Ubuntu remains #1. But PCLinux not being far behind Ubuntu at 2495 and 2534, respectively.

My preditions for 2008:
Ubuntu will still be popular as it has been for several years now. But I don't think it'll remain #1. I'm not saying it won't get #1 again, but I don't think it will be in 2008.

Fedora will have a good year and seems to be getting more popular all the time. And as each release gets more polished and more stable, it's got to be doing something right.

OpenSuse. Well, I was wrong about them for 2007, so I don't think I can tell what's going to happen with the in 2008. I suspect it'll be much the same as this year. Stable. Still, OpenSuse remains one of my favs on my personal list of tux distros.

PCLinuxOS will be a strong contender in 2008. I think it'll be a good tough battle between Fedora nd PCLinuxOS in 2008.

Feel free to express any opinions of your own. All text above is simply my opinion(s) and I fully respect anyone who begs to differ.

Afterall, this is an open discussion.

icechen1
December 30th, 2007, 05:07 AM
PCLinuxOS is #1 is because of some bots,according of what i heard.
The distrowatch statistics are not very accurate,many people finds their linux distro without using this site.

K.Mandla
December 30th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Sent to Recurring Discussions.

Sef
December 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM
It doesn't mean a thing. Just more other users clicking on the bottom link.

-grubby
December 30th, 2007, 06:56 AM

well ubuntu says that it's 100% open source. Besides, it makes these easily available

mdsmedia
December 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM
If it's any indication, on one forum I frequent, frequently, you'll find a lot of users who say "I use Ubuntu" or "on OpenSuSE..." but not many mention "I use PCLinuxOS". There are a number though, who, whenever Linux is mentioned, say an article is about "the latest Ubuntu", will pipe up with "try PCLinuxOS...it's the greatest", or words to that affect. And the same names keep cropping up.

I posted a thread some time ago about how PCLinuxOS was starting to annoy me, and it was its users' fanboism. I'll use any distro but PCLOS simply because of its fanbois. I've heard it's a nice distro. I've heard it doesn't have much in its repos. I've heard it "just works", and I've heard "it doesn't work". I've also heard its community isn't much chop.

Distrowatch can easily be "rigged" by fanbois. I mean, we're only talking numbers in the thousands. Having said that, it's also possible that Distrowatch has had a lot of hits for PCLOS from people interested in converting from Windows. If that's the case, more strength to PCLOS. That's how it's promoted.

I like Ubuntu. I've only seen one other distro I "like" and that's Sabayon, but I haven't really tried any others and Sabayon only on LiveCD. I like Ubuntu's philosophy and it seems to really try to stick with that philosophy despite cries for codecs etc. As long as it does that I'll probably stick with Ubuntu.

evil316
December 31st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Don't forget Ubuntu has regular new releases where as most of the other distro's new releases come out whenever they come out. That's a big plus for Ubuntu in my opinion.

foxmulder881
January 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM
Don't forget Ubuntu has regular new releases where as most of the other distro's new releases come out whenever they come out. That's a big plus for Ubuntu in my opinion.

But keep in mind, more seems to change from release to release with distros such as OpenSuse and Fedora Core. Reason: Because their release cycle may not be so frequent as Ubuntu.

With the Ubuntu 6-month release cycle, not much seems to change in each release. A few major and minor bug fixes here and there, software updated to the latest version(s) and the occasional new release of Gnome when update is available.
I found when I used OpenSuse and Fedora, each version has its own personality and feel to it. Ubuntu still has the same feel as what it did when I first started using it with Breezy Badger.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging Ubuntu in any way. I'm simply stating in regards to the above quote, that more frequent releases versus less-frequent releases is arguable. And I believe the less-frequent cycle most certainly isn't a bad thing.

pieisgood4589
March 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
OK, I realize that the Distrowatch rankings have nothing to do with how popular a distribution is, but today, Ubuntu has once again overtaken PCLinuxOS as the leader of the hits per day! It just makes me feel good when the Ubuntu community grows... Hooray! This is a time for celebration! :):rolleyes:

andrewabc
March 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
The PClinuxos bots must be down. ;)

pieisgood4589
March 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Haha.

+1 Linux Mint :guitar:

robobomb#1
March 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Correction, We are now number one in the 6 month rating

While pclinuxos might focus on newbies I'd say we are on even ground in terms of that. It's an excellent distro but it's nothing close in terms of popularity compared to the big guns such as fedora opensuse and ubuntu it's security team and community size are the two things that are particularly inferior to ubuntu

My prediction, ubuntu will continue to rank #1 and grow like it has so far at a steady pace:guitar:

Nano Geek
March 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
The PClinuxos bots must be down. ;)No, Ubuntu bots are back up. :)

(jk)

Foster Grant
March 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
OK, I realize that the Distrowatch rankings have nothing to do with how popular a distribution is, but today, Ubuntu has once again overtaken PCLinuxOS as the leader of the hits per day! It just makes me feel good when the Ubuntu community grows... Hooray! This is a time for celebration! :):rolleyes:

Meh.

If you change from the default 6 months to any other time period, Ubuntu is on top. PCLOS had a big surge last fall but has been dropping steadily since then.

Last three months, for instance:

1 Ubuntu 2043>
2 PCLinuxOS 1458<

Last 30 days:

1 Ubuntu 2498>
2 Mint 1603>
3 openSUSE 1467>
4 PCLinuxOS 1379<

Last 7 days:

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Ubuntu 2976>
2 openSUSE 1719>
3 Mint 1487>
4 PCLinuxOS 1378<

mikewhatever
March 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM

What does it have to do with the size of Ubuntu community? I dare say, the day will come when Ubuntu will join the club of well known distros like Suse, Fedora and Debian. Once a distro has been around and prominent long enough, I think people just don't bother clicking it anymore. They'd either go straight to the home site, or the forum, or elsewhere. Distrowatch simply can't provide any new information at that point, but newer distros will still catch attention and climb up the ranking scale. So, chill out, nothing to celebrate here.

K.Mandla
March 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM