PDA

View Full Version : OS at work

bomanizer
December 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM
So, let's see what you're using at the workplace. Let's simplify and assume that the box/os that you use the most is the one you "use"....

My daily joy is a Win2K box, though the hardware is fairly new... :)

Ardrias
December 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Ubuntu on my laptop. RDP / VmWare remote to the other OS's I need.

Samhain13
December 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Just Ubuntu.

padams10001
December 28th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Vista on probably 3 quarters of the machines, but mine still has XP (thankfully?) due to a couple of programs we don't yet have for vista.

stalker145
December 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
So, let's see what you're using at the workplace. Let's simplify and assume that the box/os that you use the most is the one you "use"....

Mine is a Win2K box, but we are transitioning to XP.

Majorix
December 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The computers at school are loaded with XP, however I sometimes pop in an Xubuntu LiveCD in them :D

tcpip4lyfe
December 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM
XP pro and 3 dapper testing servers. I love my job.

mellowd
December 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Windows XP not by choice. Most of my time is spent on routers, firewalls and servers though. Some of them linux, some of them 2k3, some others too

xeth_delta
December 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I am a student. The computer I most use is my laptop, which runs Kubuntu 7.04. Other computers I use at the University department, be they workstations or servers, run RedHat Enterprise Linux WS 4 and a very few of them some version of Solaris/SunOS.

rickyjones
December 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM
All workstations connected to my network are Windows XP Pro SP2 except for two ancient Windows 2000 computers (they run the machines in the machine shop so they stay just the way they are).

Our main server runs Windows Server 2003 SBS. This hosts a VMWare session of Ubuntu Server for our Intranet sites.

-Richard

Sunflower1970
December 28th, 2007, 03:45 PM
XP Pro at work, but I make a point to use Openoffice, Gimp, Firefox and whatever open source programs I can instead of MS Office or IE, etc.

ukripper
December 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
XP but not out of choice used mainly for database apps development

omegamike3
December 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I've got Ubuntu installed on my desktop at work with XP Pro running in VMware for the couple programs I'm not allowed to get running in WINE. :)

ukripper
December 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I've got Ubuntu installed on my desktop at work with XP Pro running in VMware for the couple programs I'm not allowed to get running in WINE. :)

i am using VBOX

Paqman
December 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Win 2000 here, although most of our aps are running off the servers, so the OS is just window-dressing really.

There are rumblings about migrating to XP, which would be nice as XP actually manages to do helpful little things like unmounting my flash drive reliably.

Espreon
December 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
If you count school as work then all the machines (even the server) are loaded with Winblow$, and to top it off what makes it even scarier one of the math teachers in my school is a Micro$oft Certified Professional (I saw the certificate in his classroom)...

Ahh, theres lots of stuff that can happen at private schools such as mine.

skwishybug
December 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Ubuntu.

But then again, I am self employed and have full say over what goes on the computer.

rickyjones
December 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
and to top it off what makes it even scarier one of the math teachers in my school is a Micro$oft Certified Professional (I saw the certificate in his classroom)...

Why is having the Microsoft Certified Professional certification scary? I have mine - definitely makes me more attractive to potential employers.

-Richard

mellowd
December 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM
If you count school as work then all the machines (even the server) are loaded with Winblow$, and to top it off what makes it even scarier one of the math teachers in my school is a Micro$oft Certified Professional (I saw the certificate in his classroom)...

Ahh, theres lots of stuff that can happen at private schools such as mine.

What's wrong with that?

BDNiner
December 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with windows certs. You definately need them if you plan on working in the IT field. I don't have mine but i will probably need them when i try and find a new job. I split my time with ubuntu and XP. Slowly transitioning over to ubuntu, there are still some apps that don't work in linux like they do on XP. Novell's console one being one of them. (missing too many features present on XP).

apothecaryaaron
December 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
We use XP Pro connected to a Win2k server. Great for everyone else, but I still have DamnSmall Linux running with Qemu so I can stay useful.

SjRaptor
December 28th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I run both Windows XP Professional and various Linux distros and the BSD's.

evil316
December 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Currently I'm working on XP doing AD and other windows server stuff. I used to work on HP Tru64 Unix and before that VMS. Also have done some Solaris 10 stuff.

Thingymebob
December 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Win 2k on my machine, though 90% of the site is running winXP embedded on HP thin clients

Espreon
December 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
What's wrong with that?

I think M$ is on to me and my unrealistic plots to end M$...

jseiser
December 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM
this week i convinced the boss to let me turn this XP box into linux. Running Arch Linux, ratpoison and rdesktop, because we all terminal into a win2k server. All is working fine, i got my linux, and i can still get into the server to use the programs on it.

odiseo77
December 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Three computers where I work have win98 (probably the worst OS ever built by M$); two machines have winXP, and sometimes I boot PuppyLinux from my usb flash drive on one of these machines, so I voted "Other" :)

Kadrus
December 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Since I am a 14 year old student and don't go to work...and I have my own laptop..I use Ubuntu and Gentoo :):)...

rickyjones
December 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Three computers where I work have win98 (probably the worst OS ever built by M$); two machines have winXP, and sometimes I boot PuppyLinux from my usb flash drive on one of these machines, so I voted "Other" :)

My vote goes to Windows ME for being the worst /anything/ built by Microsoft.

:)

-Richard

moffatt666
December 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM
My Toughbook runs Win98 but the newer issue of laptops run xp. Training school computers run xp.

beercz
December 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Ubuntu on my laptop. RDP / VmWare remote to the other OS's I need.
+1 here

Exactly how I operate.

oyvindaa
December 28th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Unfortunately, Windows XP.

jespdj
December 29th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Windows XP. Ofcourse I don't have a choice in this, it's a company PC with a standard set of software.

I'm a Java software developer.

macogw
December 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Current workplace, OSX. Last one, I had to use XP while the two other guys in my cube used Ubuntu. I tried using my laptop, but their network barfed and wouldn't give me a working IP address. The other guy had that happen to his Ubuntu box the same day. Somehow, after lots of reboots, dhcp discovery magically worked again. He never shut down for fear of re-losing the internet connection. Operations doesn't know they had Ubuntu. They weren't the type that'd ever call tech support anyway though.

Kzin
December 29th, 2007, 12:43 AM
My workstation is Ubuntu, running VMWare in order to meet corporate compliance and be "One of them" (M$ers).

Tmi
December 29th, 2007, 01:14 AM
"Work" in this case is my university.

There are XP, Debian and Solaris workstations scattered around the buildings.

If I'm alone I only use the Debian computers. If I'm doing some sort of group work it's usually the XP computers since that's what most other students are familiar with.

Bungo Pony
December 29th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Most of the PCs at work run WinXP. However, my job requires me to use multiple computers, so I'm not always stuck on WinXP. Here's what else I use:

Laptop: Running Win98: I usually use this for copying files between computers with a serial cable, as I HATE using floppies. I also have some Win98 specific software, and also some software that requires real DOS.

Laptop: Running DOS / Win3.1: Don't use this for much anymore and it's basically collecting dust.

PC: Running Win95: Solely used for programming chips and transferring the occasional 5 1/4" floppy.

PC-XT: Running DOS (5?): Can't remember what version of DOS this ancient thing runs, but I multitask in it using Desqview. This computer is used solely for testing specific circuit boards. The software is reliant on the computer's speed for timing (8MHz?) which is why we cannot upgrade it. The software is custom (written in Fortran) and there's a custom interface board which was made completely with wire-wrap.

D-EJ915
December 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Solaris, sometimes Windows or SLED when forced to :(

ukripper
December 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM
Why is having the Microsoft Certified Professional certification scary? I have mine - definitely makes me more attractive to potential employers.

-Richard

I found MCP exam piece of cake and Comptia linux+ was same, easy!
rest of the MCDBA exams were bit harder for me.

I guess MCTS is a new thing employers looking for.

graabein
December 31st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Mostly Windows XP at my workplace. Someone even installed Vista instead of sticking with XP! I can't get them... Why I ask, why!!??

We develop on the Windows platform with Visual Studio, .NET and SQL Server. This year most of us are going to get .NET certified and that will be interesting. Hope to try out some mono stuff while I learn all the .NET basics.

I'd like to work with open source stuff or at least do some Java programming but that's not gonna happen where I'm at now...