PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Texas

Yzzerdd
December 28th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Hi all, I am new here. Just joined about 20 minutes ago. I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Ryan Harvey, and I stumbled across Linux about 6 months ago, maybe longer ago. My dad showed it to me. I have grown rather fond of Kubuntu. I like its customality as well as it's cool modern look. With a few clicks, I can give it a friendly retro look. I am amazed at how huge this forum is. It seems like every thread has had a new post within the last half hour. It is rather high-paced, but I will get used to it. This is only the second forum I have joined, the first being a vintage computer enthusiast forum, vintage-computer.com/vcforum. I go by the same name there. New posts are frequent in the mornings and evenings, were there are usually about 20 new posts per day. Only about 50 active users exist, of which I have befriended and come to know all of them.

Anyhow, I hope to get to know the most of you on here. I hope to be able to contribute as much knowledge as I consume.

--Ryan
(Denton County, TX)

CCNA_student
December 28th, 2007, 06:26 AM
What do you think of Linux so far?

Sin Cere,

CCNA

Yzzerdd
December 28th, 2007, 06:39 AM
It's great! Multiple desktops are awesome! The general feel of it is nice. I also like that on Kubuntu, the web browser(Konquerer) automatically checks my spelling. I have been working on getting Linux on my Macintosh Classic II, or my Toshiba Satellite 235CDS, to no avail.

--Ryan

Majorix
December 28th, 2007, 06:44 AM
What are the problems? You can create a topic in the Absolute Beginner section or explain the problems here and I am sure someone will help.

CCNA_student
December 28th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I would suggest that you use Firefox as it is annoying to get Adobe Flash Player to run in Koqueror. Also, I found that a lot of web sites do not work right on Konqueror. And what goes wrong on the laptop installations exactly?

Sin Cere,

CCNA

Yzzerdd
December 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I have not found any Linux O/S for my Macintosh except different versions of Debian, but of course, all of the servers I try to get it from are down. As for Damn Small Linux(DSL), I can't find the whole thing as a few images. I would have to download every file seperately.

--Ryan

Yzzerdd
December 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I would suggest that you use Firefox as it is annoying to get Adobe Flash Player to run in Koqueror. Also, I found that a lot of web sites do not work right on Konqueror. And what goes wrong on the laptop installations exactly?

Sin Cere,

CCNA

For the Dell(2004) I am on now, the only thing that went wrong is i had to find a command for the terminal so I could acccess my Windows partition. As for the Toshiba(1997), see my above post.

CCNA_student
December 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM
So you can access your Windows partition though? For me in Ubuntu 7.10, my Windows XP partition mounts as soon as I can see the desktop. Add the reason that you are having a problem installing on your old Macintosh is that most Linux distributions are no longer supporting the PPC architecture, or they made it a community supported distribution which means that those versions of Linux for PPC computers are full of bugs. But you could go to the PPC user section of the forums for help. I could not give you much as I have never used one of those computers. I hope that this helps you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

CCNA_student
December 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I have to get to sleep soon so if you have any more questions for me just click on my avatar and send me a private message. Have a good night.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

Majorix
December 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM
What do you mean by "accessing the partition"? Read/write permissions or the partition doesn't mount at all?

Yzzerdd
December 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM
On every computer I have ever installed Linux on, I could never view my other partitions. I could see that it was there, but I got an error, something about UID 1000 all options refused or something like that. Anyhow, after typing a few lines into the terminal, all was well.

--Ryan