PDA

View Full Version : Pleased to meet you....

MACaddict
December 28th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Hello All,

I just thought I'd introduce myself. As indicated by my user name, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mac Addict.

Outside of a decade in the realm of the "OS-whose-name-I-dare-not-mention", I've largely used Macs at school and at work as a Web Designer/Developer.

A recent foray into managing a dedicated web server has convinced me hat I need to know more about Linux, so here I am....pleased to meet you all.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a web-development environment for the Linux Desktop?

MACaddict

-grubby
December 28th, 2007, 02:52 AM
hello. Sorry I don't anything about web development but hello again.

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a web-development environment for the Linux Desktop?

Hi.

Nice to see everything worked out (inside statement, you all won't understand :))

I am a web developer also.

I do not know what you use, but:

* GIMP: Graphics
* Kate: Editing
* Kwrite, Gedit, and Vim: Editing
* Opera, Firefox: Testing and browsing
* Web Developer Toolbar and Firebug extensions for Firefox

If you need a server locally:

sudo tasksel

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

MACaddict
December 28th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Hi.

Nice to see everything worked out (inside statement, you all won't understand :))

I am a web developer also.

I do not know what you use, but:

* GIMP: Graphics
* Kate: Editing
* Kwrite, Gedit, and Vim: Editing
* Opera, Firefox: Testing and browsing
* Web Developer Toolbar and Firebug extensions for Firefox

If you need a server locally:

sudo tasksel
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

Hi LaRoza,

Yeah, I was right it actually was the confirmation email....went right to Junk Mail. Avatar edit started working just fine once I confirmed my enrollment.

Thanks for the advice on the web development tools. I'll try Gimp for image manipulation. I don't know if you've tried it, but CODA for the mac has ann integrated editing (with html/php/javascript/mysql markup support), preview pane, FTP and terminal window...and it supports multiple site definitions.

I'm looking for something like that...an integrated environment without all the bloatware that products like DreamWeaver pack in to justify their pricetag....

Any suggestions on an IDE?

MA

p_quarles
December 28th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I'm looking for something like that...an integrated environment without all the bloatware that products like DreamWeaver pack in to justify their pricetag....

Any suggestions on an IDE?
Personally, when I'm feeling bloated I use Quanta+. It's a very nice and full-featured web development environment, though it has the reputation of being kind of unintuitive for people used to DreamWeaver. Give it a try in any case.

nowshining
December 28th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Dear MACaddict,

We here at Ubuntu Welcome you as a new forums member to this community, and we here at Ubuntu wish you a happy holiday season and that you have peace and goodwill. We here at the forums also hope you have a wonderful stay here. Also I personally would like to add that if you have any questions and I am on aim, yahoo IM or googlechat, that you are welcome to instant message me and add me to ur list as a buddy, friend, or whatever. I myself have not got into hosting on the web yet and I may or may not continue that journey.

Happy Holidays, Peace, Love and Happiness,

The Ubuntu Community.

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I see. There is no such IDE that I know of.

I use different browsers and many resolutions, a single app isn't enough.

For editing, I look for:

* Tabs for the editor, all that I mentioned have that.
* Syntax highlighting, all that I mentioned have that
* Directory view, not all have it by default, but Kate does by default

I use Crimson Editor in Windows. I actually do most of my web development on Windows, and it is the sole reason I use it.

MACaddict
December 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Personally, when I'm feeling bloated I use Quanta+. It's a very nice and full-featured web development environment, though it has the reputation of being kind of unintuitive for people used to DreamWeaver. Give it a try in any case.

Thank you, I will try it.

-MA