PDA

View Full Version : not heard: Kubuntu hardy = no LTS support

nowshining
December 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005960

so if u plan on using Kubuntu apparently with Kubuntu ONLY it will NOT be a LTS supported version, and u'll get only 18 months of support as usually, however it looks like ubuntu with gnome on hardy heron will get the LTS label.

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Old news, but yes. With the work they are doing with KDE, it doesn't make sense to have an LTS version.

Darkhack
December 28th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I think it's a stupid idea and they are allowing themselves to succumb to the hype of KDE 4. Kubuntu 8.04 should be an LTS release with KDE 3.5 and then allow KDE 4 to mature with testing in Kubuntu 8.10.

hanzomon4
December 28th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Well there is talk of closing all kde 3.X bugs once 4 comes out and Kubuntu already has some kde4 elements like dolphin and stargi(sp?). Kde is in fluxs so it makes sense that kubuntu not be LTS. LTS does mean 4 years support on the desktop right? By then kde 4 will be king and perhaps many parts of kde 3.X will be unmaintained.

vexorian
December 28th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I think we may be giving far too much importance to the whole LTS deal.

hanzomon4
December 28th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Really,

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I think it's a stupid idea and they are allowing themselves to succumb to the hype of KDE 4. Kubuntu 8.04 should be an LTS release with KDE 3.5 and then allow KDE 4 to mature with testing in Kubuntu 8.10.

It has to do with the KDE release cycle.

You can install KDE on Ubuntu LTS, so there isn't a problem.

The point of LTS isn't increased stability, but for Businesses and those who need a system supported for longer than 6 months.

Spr0k3t
December 28th, 2007, 05:29 AM
At the time of release of KDE4, it's going to be in its infancy... you can get kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3 with the LTS label. At least, this is what I read somewhere... but lost the link.

bruce89
December 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Indeed, I look upon LTS as boring. Strangely, the majority of people still use Dapper (Ubuntu counter).

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Indeed, I look upon LTS as boring. Strangely, the majority of people still use Dapper (Ubuntu counter).

Maybe the counter wasn't updated.

hanzomon4
December 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM
It has to do with the KDE release cycle.

You can install KDE on Ubuntu LTS, so there isn't a problem.

The point of LTS isn't increased stability, but for Businesses and those who need a system supported for longer than 6 months.

Amen!!!

tdrusk
December 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM

fo rl

the only reason I can see lts being necessary would be for servers and business.

the server part can be filled by debian which make for stabler servers anyway.

Vadi
December 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM
If we ever want Ubuntu to be popular, it needs to be used outside of the usual home enviroment.

And nobody in the business word likes the word "unstable".

snakeeyes
December 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I agree.

23meg
December 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Read this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4007400&postcount=22).

hanzomon4
December 31st, 2007, 08:32 AM
If we ever want Ubuntu to be popular, it needs to be used outside of the usual home enviroment.

And nobody in the business word likes the word "unstable".

You say that as if the regular Ubuntus are unstable. They are just as stable as an LTS release; Long Term Support i.e it's supported longer then regular Ubuntus. I don't know why everyone thinks LTS means more then it does.

23meg
December 31st, 2007, 09:49 AM
I don't know why everyone thinks LTS means more then it does.

Probably because the only LTS version up to now, Dapper, had an added ~2 month bug fixing period in its development cycle, which was meant to make it as stable and supportable as possible.

It's entirely arguable and possible that Dapper is more stable than the other Ubuntu releases, partly due to this, and partly due to the fact that it was made coincide with some of the most "stable" periods in the development of some upstream projects, such as the kernel and X, in a while. It doesn't, however, necessarily mean that every LTS release will be more stable than every non-LTS release.