PDA

View Full Version : Lets let Nokia know that we use Linux!

bluefightingcat
December 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi,

I have a nokia phone and I use linux. I really like both Linux and my Nokia phone. I don't want to change either. But it bugs me that Nokia are not willing to make a PC Suite that runs of linux. I know there are other programmes that can communicate with my phone but I would like to use Nokia's software.

I think we should all send a message to the Nokia Customer Care to let them know how we feel. I suggest that anybody who uses a nokia sends a polite message at:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/email

Just let them know that we use Linux and we would like to see Nokia make their software for Linux. It might not change anything but at least it will make them aware that the Linux market is growing and that our needs should be addressed. Who knows in the future they might actually do something about it.

BFC

RudolfMDLT
December 27th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Nokia do make the best phones as far as I'm concerned so I'll give it a go! :)

Spike-X
December 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I'm happy to get behind this - I'll be looking for a new phone soon, to replace this Motorola RAZR piece of crap, and I'll definitely be thinking about going back to Nokia.

dgoosens
December 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I am rather convinced of Nokia as well...
and even more lately...
Check out the N810...
http://europe.nokia.com/A4568593
Have a look at the specifications and you'll notice a rather interesting line... "Internet Tablet OS: maemo Linux based OS2008"

So I think Nokia is fully aware of the bright side of the force...

daou
December 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I am rather convinced of Nokia as well...
and even more lately...
Check out the N810...
http://europe.nokia.com/A4568593
Have a look at the specifications and you'll notice a rather interesting line... "Internet Tablet OS: maemo Linux based OS2008"

So I think Nokia is fully aware of the bright side of the force...

They have had this Linux based tablet line for a while. The first, 770, came out in early 2005. I own one and have hacked on it quite a bit. I certainly recommend them. It seems they are interested in the possibilities of deploying Linux on mobiles, and this line is somewhat of a poking at the market to see how well it might work.

BreathEasy
December 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Aye, I've wanted a native version of the PC suite in Linux for quite some time. Closest I can get is through virtualization. Will they ever make a version? Hard to say; they seem to embrace Linux in some areas (like their tablets) and shun it elsewhere.

quanumphaze
December 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I received a Nokia 6300 for Xmas and I can only access the microSD card as a mass storage device.
I would love for them to release it for Linux, editing the contacts imported from the SIM card is tedious on the small keypad.

bigbrovar
December 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM
just sent my own mail ... really hope that the consider making a pc suite for linux soon..

terminal
December 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Same goes for sony ericsson . they dont have a linux suite as well .

stijngysemans
December 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I also mailed nokia!

Spike-X
December 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Sony Ericsson would be my other choice. My children's mother has one, and I'm quite impressed with it.

Prodromoi
December 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM
For what it might be worth, this is the reply that I received from Nokia after e-mailing them (through their website form) asking about when PC Suite will be converted to Linux...

Dear Alex,

Thank you for emailing Nokia Care.

In response to your email, Nokia PC Suite currently supports Windows XP (Service Pack 1 or 2) and Windows Vista operating systems. Meanwhile, Apple has developed an application for Nokia phones to synchronise contacts and calendar entries. However, I would not be able to confirm if a PC Suite equivalent for Linux will become available. Nevertheless, I have highlighted your interest to the relevant department for consideration.

Kind regards,

Pamela Ng
Nokia Care

Now, while it doesn't give any kind of solid answer, it does at least prove that the e-mails get read and hopefully something might eventually happen!

The more enquiries they get, the better chance we have of getting a Linux version. Keep sending those e-mails...!

Berduchwal
January 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
email sent today!

Please keep it going to apply customer pressure!

jeyaganesh
January 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I too sent an email:guitar:

whayong
January 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Done, although I dont know how much impact this will have. I too have the Nokia 770. Sweet little device especially for the price these days. I recommend the N810 though, much faster and better hardware.

bluefightingcat
January 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hey its great to see everyone doing this! Keep up the pressure!

BFC

steeleyuk
January 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Done.

helliewm
January 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Done. If they have a phone that supports Linux I would buy it.

Helen

steeleyuk
January 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Its not that the phones don't support Linux exactly, most of the newer ones are mounted as mass storage devices or you can use OBEX (like on my N80).

Its just the PC suite which has some pretty nifty features.

Even if Nokia provided some specs to the community, someone somewhere would be able to knock something together...

PartisanEntity
January 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I completely missed this thread, I too like my Nokia phone and would love to see a PC Suite made for Linux. I'm going to send an email right away.

p.s. but being in Austria I guess I should look up nokia.at or do you think it matters at all?

bluefightingcat
February 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Lets keep the momentum going. Keep sending those messages. The more messages that get sent and the longer the momentum keeps going the more likely they might do something about this.

I guess you can send messages to any of the nokia support emails in your country.

BFC

SKhan
May 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Done.

Iowan
May 23rd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Closed - Two year old threads deserve a rest.