PDA

View Full Version : What OS are you running on Asus Eee ?

ukripper
December 27th, 2007, 09:46 AM
How many ubunters are using ASUS Eee and what OS are your running?

Personally, I have just ordered my Eee and going to install eeeXubuntu http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home dual boot with custom xandros (comes with asus).

wersdaluv
December 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Good question! I'm planning to get one. :)

ukripper
December 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
i thought ASUS Eee sold 350,000 and going to sell 1.4 million till end of this year. Looks like not famous among our community folks.

m0eman
December 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I tried eeeXubuntu but ended up installing ubuntu after a bit, Runs pretty well after i installed http://code.google.com/p/eee-ubuntu-support/

wersdaluv
December 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Yah. It's so popular even in my place.

ukripper
December 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I tried eeeXubuntu but ended up installing ubuntu after a bit, Runs pretty well after i installed http://code.google.com/p/eee-ubuntu-support/

kool any particular reason you dint like eeexubuntu?

And also the link you provided it gives eee-ubuntu download of only 2.9 MB am i missing something?

TheSpecs
December 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Im running the full desktop version of the default Xandros which is included although i have to say i'm not a lover of it. I was looking at Xubuntu to install on it or maybe Ubuntu. I just saw Fluxbuntu (http://fluxbuntu.org/js.html) which im going to look into more :)

How well does Xubuntu andUbuntu run?

HermanAB
December 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM
The default Debian Etch is fine for me. I added a couple files to make the 'Full Desktop' mode (KDE) work, but I mostly use IceWM with a couple of small configuration changes.

I don't see the point in changing from Debian to Ubuntu, since it is the same thing with a different name - no diff really. When using this little toy, applications are usually maximized, so the 'desktop' is mostly invisible anyway.

RelativelyQuantum
December 28th, 2007, 06:19 AM
My vote goes toward Edgy...outdated, but still my old standby.

ukripper
December 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM
My vote goes toward Edgy...outdated, but still my old standby.

I would have agreed with you 3 months ago but since gutsy came out, i have changed my perception. Gutsy detects most hardware so I would vote for that but I am bit unsure whether gutsy runs well on Eee or should I stick to customised eeexubuntu as i am getting my lil eee beast today.

m0eman
December 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM
kool any particular reason you dint like eeexubuntu?

And also the link you provided it gives eee-ubuntu download of only 2.9 MB am i missing something?

It's a script that you run on ubuntu after you install it. Works pretty well, but you have to make sure you lock the version of the original kernel release (done in synaptic) because the patch only works on the original kernel.

And the only reason i run ubuntu instead of xubuntu is because i like the way gnome is set up. I'll try eeeXubuntu again on 8.04 though.

gn2
December 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Waiting for the 10 inch screen version, 800x480 just isn't enough pixels, but apart from that a very desirable piece of kit.

Mateo
December 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I'm using the default distro, whatever it's called. Until someone comes up with a ubuntu subdistro that can get startup times to under 20 seconds, i see no reason to switch.

init1
December 28th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I'm using the default distro, whatever it's called. Until someone comes up with a ubuntu subdistro that can get startup times to under 20 seconds, i see no reason to switch.
The default is Xandros.

Mateo
December 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
but it's not standard Xandros, it's highly modified. It needs a proper name. It's sort of like what Fluxbuntu is to Ubuntu.

RelativelyQuantum
December 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Ah - I'll have to give it a try.

ukripper
December 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
My testimonial EEEPC (eeexubuntu)-I have installed eeexubuntu on external 8GB VEHO SDHC Class 6 card it rocks. installed eeexubuntu from scratch within 45 mins
bootup time to login screen under 43 sec

Dual booting eeexubuntu(external SDHC) with Xandros(SDD internal)

My sincere thanks to eexubuntu team/indvidual who spent hours of their hard work customising this distro to work with eee pc (cant ask more).
All devices detected out of the box and running on sdhc doesnt feel any different to using normal ide.
top notch distro million thanks and a very happy new year -keep up with good work folks!:guitar:

PS: Skype beta working perfect with webcam on eee.

simd
December 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM
The lack of software in the Xandros repositories is disappointing, but it looks like the eeepc community will step up and start an independent repo.

I'd like to use Ubuntu, or some ICEWM derivation of it, just for consistency across my computers. However, the boot up time of Xandros is just amazing, and I'd hate to lose that.

TheSpecs
December 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
I just installed eeeXubuntu 7.10.3 onto it and works like a charm not to mention it looks ten times better! It took 50 seconds to boot up which is double the 25 seconds on Xandros.

One little thing i dont like is the fact that the home key doesnt bring up the applications menu any more, anyone know how to fix that? :)

Specs

LowSky
December 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Go to the System \ Preferences \ Keyboard Shortcuts menu item. Scroll down till you see the "Show the panel menu" item. Click in the Shortcut column, and when it changes to "New accelerator…", hit the Windows Key.

Mateo
December 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM
The lack of software in the Xandros repositories is disappointing, but it looks like the eeepc community will step up and start an independent repo.

I'd like to use Ubuntu, or some ICEWM derivation of it, just for consistency across my computers. However, the boot up time of Xandros is just amazing, and I'd hate to lose that.

I added the Xandros repos to my Eee. Still not as big as the ubuntu repos, but much better than the default Eee (which has almost nothing on it that's not preinstalled). But if you do this, make sure you edit /etc/apt/preferences so that the Eee repos have presedence.

ukripper
January 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I added the Xandros repos to my Eee. Still not as big as the ubuntu repos, but much better than the default Eee (which has almost nothing on it that's not preinstalled). But if you do this, make sure you edit /etc/apt/preferences so that the Eee repos have presedence.

I dint get chance to go back to xandros yet since i have installed eeexubuntu. i will check it out for sure!

ukripper
January 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
What you lot think of CLoudbook? would it surpas the asus eee in UMPC.
http://www.cloudbooker.com/category/cloudbook/

GrannyTux
January 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I have tried eeeXubuntu, Ubuntu , slack and even uggh windows xp on the eeepc. Bottom line I like Xandros the best for it , it works fine out of the box and with minimal effort ( adding repos ) i got a few programs I liked to use ie gfp, gimp and vlc. The rest is pretty much there already there except OO is an older version.

I liked Xandros as the apps were already configured for the screen and I didn't have to **** around with getting the devices to play nice together.

Save my tweaking for the bigger boxes..

ukripper
January 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I have tried eeeXubuntu, Ubuntu , slack and even uggh windows xp on the eeepc. Bottom line I like Xandros the best for it , it works fine out of the box and with minimal effort ( adding repos ) i got a few programs I liked to use ie gfp, gimp and vlc. The rest is pretty much there already there except OO is an older version.

I liked Xandros as the apps were already configured for the screen and I didn't have to **** around with getting the devices to play nice together.

Save my tweaking for the bigger boxes..

in eeexubuntu you really don't need to tinker around with devices it is out of the box. And also you can install OO 2.3 straight from gutsy repos no need to find repos for latest OO on xandros.

Can't wait for eeexubuntu 8.04 LTS hope it is considered!

jseiser
January 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
since these are small screens. You might benefit from running evilwm/ratpoison or matchbox, match box being designed for small displays.

http://matchbox-project.org/ --you can use it to replace metacity as well.

init1
January 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
since these are small screens. You might benefit from running evilwm/ratpoison or matchbox, match box being designed for small displays.

http://matchbox-project.org/ --you can use it to replace metacity as well.
Yes, Matchbox would be a good choice for such a small screen. So would flwm.

ukripper
January 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I wonder what sony was thinkin with this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126153
look at the price tag just crazy

init1
January 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I wonder what sony was thinkin with this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126153
look at the price tag just crazy
Yeah but the specs are amazing for such a small device. I've never even heard of 32GB of flash memory. The EeePC available now only has 4GB.

dgoodma
January 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Was thinking about the Eee, until I saw what is coming to Wal-Mart, the 30 GB, Everex with the gOS. I downloaded a VM of that, and it looks pretty cool. And I think it is Ubuntu, customized for ease of use.

Looking for something inexpensive, easy, durable, for my 2 year old grandson to start playing with.

Maybe this will start a price war with these emerging small laptops running Linux, the more the merrier.

w116tjb
January 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Since the EEE PC has been so successful, I wonder what the possibility of Canonical releasing a light weight version of Ubuntu specifically for it. 350,000+ sold is pretty impressive. Especially for a laptop that comes preisntalled with Linux, which tends to scare your average user away.

ukripper
January 12th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah but the specs are amazing for such a small device. I've never even heard of 32GB of flash memory. The EeePC available now only has 4GB.

32 gb sd cards have been announced http://www.betanews.com/article/Panasonic_develops_32GB_SD_card_with_Class_6_speed/1199730167

i guess they have announced price around 350£ for 32 gb

whereas I have got 8 gb card class 6 for only 35 £

w116tjb
January 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Waiting for the 10 inch screen version, 800x480 just isn't enough pixels, but apart from that a very desirable piece of kit.

You might be waiting quite awhile to get an EEE PC then... Rumor has it that it will be 8-10 months before a version with a larger screen is released.

ukripper
January 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You might be waiting quite awhile to get an EEE PC then... Rumor has it that it will be 8-10 months before a version with a larger screen is released.

Now everex in competition they might launch 10inch within 6 months you never know it all depends on how everex is accepted among people.

w116tjb
January 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Now everex in competition they might launch 10inch within 6 months you never know it all depends on how everex is accepted among people.

The Everex is hideous though... It doesn't even have a standard touchpad... It's at the top of the keyboard... The touchpad is on the right and the buttons are on the left side. Even if it had a bigger screen, I'd still take the EEE PC over it anytime.

ukripper
January 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
The Everex is hideous though... It doesn't even have a standard touchpad... It's at the top of the keyboard... The touchpad is on the right and the buttons are on the left side. Even if it had a bigger screen, I'd still take the EEE PC over it anytime.
agree ith you 100% on that

init1
January 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
32 gb sd cards have been announced http://www.betanews.com/article/Panasonic_develops_32GB_SD_card_with_Class_6_speed/1199730167

i guess they have announced price around 350£ for 32 gb

whereas I have got 8 gb card class 6 for only 35 £
I remember in 5th grade when one of the tech teachers was showing off her USB drive. I don't think any of us had ever head of it. Now everyone has one. It's amazing how quickly technology advances.

w116tjb
January 13th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I remember in 5th grade when one of the tech teachers was showing off her USB drive. I don't think any of us had ever head of it. Now everyone has one. It's amazing how quickly technology advances.

And it's amazing how quickly prices come down!

init1
January 13th, 2008, 07:06 AM
And it's amazing how quickly prices come down!
Yes, that too :D

Balazs_noob
January 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I am now waiting for the Asus Eee or the Everex to appear
in Hungary...
which will take about 6 months :S
so maybe then we will have the 10 inch version :D

also note that the 128gb SSD is very near:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/07/ces_sams_128gb_ssd/

ukripper
January 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I am now waiting for the Asus Eee or the Everex to appear
in Hungary...
which will take about 6 months :S
so maybe then we will have the 10 inch version :D

also note that the 128gb SSD is very near:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/07/ces_sams_128gb_ssd/

i hope 128 gb sdhc card be out soon would be easy to install in eeepc

ukripper
January 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
if anyone looking to put 16 G internal in eeepc here is a good hack/mod
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=3982

GSF1200S
January 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Anyone tried Arch KDEmod on the eeepc? Sidux maybe? KateOS? Zenwalk?

Im looking for a nice lean and fast distro to work on the eeepc before I buy it. Prolly wait till the 10" screen comes out too...

markp1989
January 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
currently running ubuntu 7.10 on it, and have just ordered a 2gb class 6 sd card to install somthing else on , nt decided what yet, thinking of putting the eeexubuntu live image on it

ukripper
January 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Anyone tried Arch KDEmod on the eeepc? Sidux maybe? KateOS? Zenwalk?

Im looking for a nice lean and fast distro to work on the eeepc before I buy it. Prolly wait till the 10" screen comes out too...

eeexubuntu is fast enough on eeepc even on external SDHC card and i am also using gnome 2.2 (standard ubuntu desktop) on it.

ukripper
January 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
currently running ubuntu 7.10 on it, and have just ordered a 2gb class 6 sd card to install somthing else on , nt decided what yet, thinking of putting the eeexubuntu live image on it

ebuyer is offering 8 gb SDHC class 6 for 27 £ and it is really fast as I am using it, here is the link - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136210

markp1989
January 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
ebuyer is offering 8 gb SDHC class 6 for 27 £ and it is really fast as I am using it, here is the link - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136210

thats cheap, i just paid £7 plus postge for a 2gb, not here yet :(

ukripper
January 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
thats cheap, i just paid £7 plus postge for a 2gb, not here yet :(

i m waiting for 32G to come out and another 6 months for price drop!:guitar:

markp1989
January 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
i m waiting for 32G to come out and another 6 months for price drop!:guitar:

yer, 32gb would be excellent, but im a bit impatient

michaelzap
January 25th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Wow! I hadn't noticed that about the Cloudbook, but you're right! That might make it unbearably cumbersome to use...

I am trying to decide between an Eee PC or a Cloudbook. I have my doubts about the lack of storage space on the Eee PC, I'm not convinced that I'd like Xandros, and I also don't want to end up in a dead-end alley for hardware support in a year (when the folks working on eeeXubuntu move on to other things). But the Cloudbook is a bit clunkier, the touchpad placement is bizarre, and I'd at least have to change the file manager in order to be happy with gOS...

Supposedly the Cloudbook will be released tomorrow, so I guess we'll have reviews to read soon.

ukripper
March 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Has anyone done tweaking for fast boot for eeexubuntu?

ilanesh
May 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM
well, I don`t no what you all have aginat the xandros on eeepc, xandros is the best and it is just ready for the eee pc, I tried today this eee xubuntu, but this is very buggy, I really dont like xfce, no good desktop software is not running like on gnome or kde,
hardware problsms, usb problems, sound problems on xfce, etc, and as to skype who is the most importent sotware needet on every ditro, non, and need to download from skype website, after dwonloading and running, no outgoing sound, only incomming, what is good with that?
I say, xandros rocks, I have the full kde sytem installed on xandros and have everything running out of the box, no looking around to find missing software like in xubuntu.
all in all, xandros don`t need any tweaking after getting the full kde desktop.

ukripper
May 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
well, I don`t no what you all have aginat the xandros on eeepc, xandros is the best and it is just ready for the eee pc, I tried today this eee xubuntu, but this is very buggy, I really dont like xfce, no good desktop software is not running like on gnome or kde,
hardware problsms, usb problems, sound problems on xfce, etc, and as to skype who is the most importent sotware needet on every ditro, non, and need to download from skype website, after dwonloading and running, no outgoing sound, only incomming, what is good with that?
I say, xandros rocks, I have the full kde sytem installed on xandros and have everything running out of the box, no looking around to find missing software like in xubuntu.
all in all, xandros don`t need any tweaking after getting the full kde desktop.

Strange for me evrything worked out of the box on eeexubuntu, i guess it is personal opinion. There is nothing missing in xubuntu I am running it as my testing server now with Apache, citadel mail server, PHP, mysql and also voice chat using skype with no problem. You need to enable relevant repos before you can install applications.

will1911a1
May 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I haven't felt the need to remove the default Xandros install. It's stable and does everything I want it to do, so why change it?

HermanAB
May 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
There are a few things that are broken in the Xandros install, for example 'rdesktop'.

So, I installed Mandriva 2008 and it works like a charm.

Mateo
May 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Default xandros. I've tried others, like eeebuntu. Too many issues. Like suspend/resume not working well all the time. Like external monitor display not working. Now I see why ubuntu people stress the importance of preinstalled OSes "just working". Because it's certainly true in Eee.

lamegaptop
June 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
sidux 2008-2 Pre1. Works great, very fast, and all the eeedebian work applies as sidux is sid.

Can't get the pesky volume and wifi function keys working. All else is go.:popcorn:

ukripper
June 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
sidux 2008-2 Pre1. Works great, very fast, and all the eeedebian work applies as sidux is sid.

Can't get the pesky volume and wifi function keys working. All else is go.:popcorn:

very interesting, new contender in eee arena that is what i like choices more choices........

how is package management in sid and security updates?

lamegaptop
June 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM

Package management is apt. Synaptic if one wishes to use a gui. kio-apt in konqueror, if one wants to search. Updates are handled by a script called smxi, done from a console.

I've been using sidux for about a year and a half on a variety of machines with great success. I thought "new eeepc 900 - sidux - why not". Turns out that it was a great decision. the 2.6.25 kernel is needed for sound to work on the 900 (according to the Debianeeepc wiki) and the default desktop in 2008-2 scales nicely to the 8.9 inch screen.

ukripper
June 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM

Package management is apt. Synaptic if one wishes to use a gui. kio-apt in konqueror, if one wants to search. Updates are handled by a script called smxi, done from a console.

I've been using sidux for about a year and a half on a variety of machines with great success. I thought "new eeepc 900 - sidux - why not". Turns out that it was a great decision. the 2.6.25 kernel is needed for sound to work on the 900 (according to the Debianeeepc wiki) and the default desktop in 2008-2 scales nicely to the 8.9 inch screen.

has new 900 got faster processor, is it still underclocked?

gn2
June 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
has new 900 got faster processor, is it still underclocked?

The Eee900 uses the same Celeron (but clocked a bit faster) as the Eee700, there will be a faster more efficient 1.6ghz Atom CPU model in the redesigned Eee901.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2008/05/5-14-08-eee901.jpg

ukripper
June 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
The Eee900 uses the same Celeron (but clocked a bit faster) as the Eee700, there will be a faster more efficient 1.6ghz Atom CPU model in the redesigned Eee901.

sounds wicked!!Atoms are getting popular in mobile world though!

gn2
June 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
sounds wicked!!Atoms are getting popular in mobile world though!

And set to get even more popular when the Acer Aspire One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShPGRQE3qE&feature=user) launches on July 10 for the astonishingly low price of £199.

Mmmm shiny, want one, want one NOW!

Kernel Sanders
June 23rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 bit with all the eye candy. It's super fast!

ukripper
June 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
And set to get even more popular when the Acer Aspire One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShPGRQE3qE&feature=user) launches on July 10 for the astonishingly low price of £199.

Mmmm shiny, want one, want one NOW!

Damn looks like the evolution of new kind has begun!!!ultramobile devices competing at ridiculous prices...

the_darkside_986
June 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Is it true that the default Xandros setup runs everything as root user? I don't have one of these devices but if I ever bought one I would want to know how to fix it. There is no excuse for running apps as root on Linux, as it is a TRUE multi-user environment.

ukripper
June 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Is it true that the default Xandros setup runs everything as root user? I don't have one of these devices but if I ever bought one I would want to know how to fix it. There is no excuse for running apps as root on Linux, as it is a TRUE multi-user environment.

No it doesn't run in root user mode. Not sure if the latest one had been tweaked to do that then it would be considerable problem.

sharkinfested
June 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
I bought the Linux version of the 900 a couple of months ago, but I found myself not using it. It was fun to play with for the first couple of days but then I migrated back to my regular laptop when I was at home. The deal breaker came when I went on a trip. I ended up taking my MacBook instead. I mean, it’s not THAT muck bigger but it has so much more horsepower.
I sold my Eee PC after that. Those UMPCs are cool, but not for me.
At any rate, I was so impressed with Xandros that it got me looking at other Linux distros. I tried Puppy, Dreamlinux, and PCLinuxOS, before settling on Ubuntu. In the end I’m really happy that I tried out the Eee PC line or I might not have tried out Linux.

Mr.Auer
June 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have Eee PC 4GB. I use it with the default Xandros, mostly because it boots fast, all quick Fn keys work (like wireless etc) and my USB 3G modem works flawlessly. Im using Xandros in advanced desktop (KDE) mode, and I have added several repositories with Xandros-compatible programs.
Ive installed all the essentials like Opera, Xchat, new Pidgin with encryption, XMMS for music, Gftp and some other tools.

Im no great fan of Xandros, but this works well enough for me to bother reinstalling. I know Xandros is one of the MS deal firms as well.. Ubuntu would be nice if it would boot as fast and every other thing would work..Ive also noticed some bugs in things like Synaptic, which imho is not nice..Using search in Synaptic causes it to be unable to refresh repoisitories at times, before repeatedly running dpkg --configure -a.

Mateo
June 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Default Xandros is still the way to go. Suspend/resume doesn't even work on the other OSes. Not to mention the superfast load times in Xandros.

Kernel Sanders
June 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 bit with all the eye candy. It's super fast!

No-one picked up on the joke :(

tinny
June 23rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Im running Ubuntu Hardy on my eee 701.

I followed the Ubuntu community documentation for this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

gn2
June 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
No-one picked up on the joke :(

Maybe it just wasn't funny?

Some clown did install Vista on an Eee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2GQxwkUHo0

aysiu
June 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Technically, no. But for all practical security purposes, yes.

Xandros on the Eee makes you user (and the username is always user, no matter what you say your display name is) with the ability to sudo. But sudo does not require password authentication for any commands, and if you edit the /etc/sudoers file to have it ask you for your password, you will render Xandros unbootable.

gn2
June 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Xandros on the Eee makes you user (and the username is always user, no matter what you say your display name is) with the ability to sudo. But sudo does not require password authentication for any commands, and if you edit the /etc/sudoers file to have it ask you for your password, you will render Xandros unbootable.

Sounds like another good reason to choose the Acer Aspire One over the Eee.
(or just install eeeXubuntu)

Does it render it unbootable even if you edit the sudoers file with visudo?

daverich
June 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
puppeee :)

I could be bothered with the hassle to get xubuntu to install with only a 2 gig flash drive.

Puppeee is great,- a little slow to boot, but lightning fast after.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

aysiu
June 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Does it render it unbootable even if you edit the sudoers file with visudo? Yes.

smartboyathome
June 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I am thinking of getting one (In a few months after I have saved up enough) but installing Arch Linux on it. It just seems like the perfect combo for it. :)

GCoffee
June 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
You couldn't dual-boot with a ee-pc because, as far as I know, they only come with a 4gb hardrive (althought apparently you can buy more..)

This leaves you with these problems:

1) Dual booting becomes near impossible
2) Most OS'/Distros take up a 2gb root partition at least..
3) Not much space on hd.

Just my 2 pence.

Mateo
June 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM

True statement, and unfortunately. However, the fast-boot and suspend/resume still makes it the best choice of all available options. I can live with the 1 in a million security risk for those two things (which I use every day).

Mateo
June 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
You couldn't dual-boot with a ee-pc because, as far as I know, they only come with a 4gb hardrive (althought apparently you can buy more..)

This leaves you with these problems:

1) Dual booting becomes near impossible
2) Most OS'/Distros take up a 2gb root partition at least..
3) Not much space on hd.

Just my 2 pence.

Could put it on a SD card.

ukripper
June 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have eeexubuntu running on 8gb SDHC card without any problem. Works great nowadays 16gb SDHC cards are available for what price i got 8 gig 6 months ago.

michaelzap
June 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I used the default Xandros with the full KDE desktop for a few months, but then it finally annoyed me one too many times and I installed Ubuntu Eee instead. I fell in love with my Eee PC all over again after that. Ubuntu Eee is a regular Hardy installation that's optimized to run on the Eee PC and has a script to enable wifi and do a bunch of other tweaks easily.

I very highly recommend Ubuntu Eee to anyone with any Eee PC except the 2GB Surf model. Mine is a 4GB 701 with 1GB of RAM, and Ubuntu runs very nicely on it. I have enabled Compiz effects, etc. and it doesn't cause it any trouble at all.

Could put it on a SD card.
Or a USB stick (which is what I do when I want to boot BackTrack 3).

tarps87
June 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Will Ubuntu 8.04 run on the atom processor? I hope it will

gn2
June 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Will Ubuntu 8.04 run on the atom? I'm assuming it will but just want to check.

Should be fine, but I have no knowledge if it has been tried yet.

The netbook remix of 8.04 is Atom only and could be well worth a try.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080604-hands-on-with-the-ubuntu-netbook-remix.html

BinaryDigit
July 2nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Eeexubuntu runs pretty well on my Asus 2G surf on the 2GB ssd with Compiz. I'd like to get a bigger SDHC card and run the Ubuntu EEE version now. :)

the yawner
July 11th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I just installed eeeUbuntu hardy on this 4GB eeepc but I had to replace openoffice with just Abiword and Gnumeric to reduce disk space usage. I also installed the netbook remix and so far it improves the experience. If I could just find a way to bind the home key to the go-home applet.

tact
July 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Should be fine, but I have no knowledge if it has been tried yet.

The netbook remix of 8.04 is Atom only and could be well worth a try.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080604-hands-on-with-the-ubuntu-netbook-remix.html

The ubuntu 8.04 netbook remix is most definitely NOT for the atom chip only.

I installed full version ubuntu hardy (gnome) onto my eeepc 900 (non-atom CPU) and after getting all the peripherals (wifi, sound, mic, etc) working properly I then created a separate user account and installed the netbook remix on it.

There are a few little gotchas in the install, to be expected as its early dev days yet.

Now I have my eeepc so that I can log in as one user and get a normal hardy desktop complete with compiz etc... or log in as another user and have the netbook remix interface.

I gotta say - the netbook remix is really VERY good. No need to add "for a work in progress"... its plain and simple - good - already :)

It does not use compiz but you still get nice tasteful effects and transparencies here and there. And it seems to use less resources, the eeepc runs nice and snappy.

Love it.

ashvala
July 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with netbook remix launcher :-)

Mateo
July 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
how did you all install netbook remix on your Eees? I'd like to try and give it a shot.

tact
July 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
THis site is a good starting point....
https://launchpad.net/netbook-remix

Take the advice on one of the pages to create a separate account login for installing the remix. Make that test user a member of "admin" group so you can sudo and install software.

Log into that account. Once you add the repos to your sources list, and use synaptic or apt-get to install the appropriate packages...

Then its not spelled out clearly in the instructions - you have to do some manual configuration... delete the bottom panel, remove a few applets from the top panel, then manually add the go-home and window-picker applets to the top panel.

You also need to add an entry for "maximus" applet in your "sessions" for that user.

Later when you log in to a "normal" user account (one not set up to use the netbook remix)... you will find that the ume-launcher has been added to "sessions" and running.

It will be in the way and not play well with compiz (if you use it) - so you need to open "sessions" and disable it... repeat this for all "normal" user accounts on the PC.

Then enjoy. :)

ukripper
July 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Looks like we got competition almost there, Ubuntu7.10 and Xandros closing in eeexubuntu.

:) nice one people i like this poll more diverse as such.

ukripper
July 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Was just reading more about Netbook remix looks really nice - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080604-hands-on-with-the-ubuntu-netbook-remix.html

Tom Mann
July 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm running Mandriva here, full eeePC support out of the box, with no code to compile/make and it'll serve me until Ubuntu 8.10 when Ubuntu should have full eeePC support :)

ukripper
July 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm running Mandriva here, full eeePC support out of the box, with no code to compile/make and it'll serve me until Ubuntu 8.10 when Ubuntu should have full eeePC support :)

yeh I read in linux format about Mandriva Spring which has full support for eeepc.

How are you finding mandriva on eeepc?

Tom Mann
July 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
It was a bit of a pain getting on there, I did a network install with a hard wire in the end, but it seems to have worked and has given me a KDE desktop, which then added my wireless card via a package update :)

It's simple enough to use, a little bulky on the eee I think, but does everything I would like it to do, firefox, openoffice, etc.

I do need to have a look at the default package command on Mandriva though, as it's a form of RPM (part based on Fedora I think)

Everything worked out of the box - worth noting, even flash, java etc.

ukripper
July 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM
It was a bit of a pain getting on there, I did a network install with a hard wire in the end, but it seems to have worked and has given me a KDE desktop, which then added my wireless card via a package update :)

It's simple enough to use, a little bulky on the eee I think, but does everything I would like it to do, firefox, openoffice, etc.

I do need to have a look at the default package command on Mandriva though, as it's a form of RPM (part based on Fedora I think)

Everything worked out of the box - worth noting, even flash, java etc.

KDE is bulky for eeepc. Mandrive should have gone for Xfce in first place then it might be complete OTB. In that case it is better to use eeexubuntu than Mandriva.

Tomatz
July 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
7.10 Openbox/gnome Compiz+cairo dock

Runs much faster than xfce and uses thunar instead of nautilus.

Just install the openbox (and ubuntu-desktop if needed) package logout and select session, openbox/gnome.

ukripper
July 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
7.10 Openbox/gnome Compiz+cairo dock

Runs much faster than xfce and uses thunar instead of nautilus.

Just install the openbox (and ubuntu-desktop if needed) package logout and select session, openbox/gnome.

No doubt openbox and fluxbox are faster than xfce.

For eeepc xfce works well and uses thunar for eeexubuntu.

Tomatz
July 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM
No doubt openbox and fluxbox are faster than xfce.

For eeepc xfce works well and uses thunar for eeexubuntu.

I was using xfce on my eee last week i only just installed openbox/gnome (not fluxbox) a few days ago.

Its supprisingly fast. If you run the command below you will be able to install (and uninstall if you dont like) everything easily.

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop openbox

logout, select session

to uninstall everything including dependancys (if you dont like it):

sudo aptitude remove ubuntu-desktop openbox

;)

ukripper
July 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I was using xfce on my eee last week i only just installed openbox/gnome (not fluxbox) a few days ago.

Its supprisingly fast if you run the command below you will be able to install (and uninstall if you dont like) everything easily.

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop openbox

logout, select session

to uninstall everything including dependancys (if you dont like it):

sudo aptitude remove ubuntu-desktop openbox

;)

Nice one mate! cheers

postmortemMT
July 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I've recently purchased an Asus EEE 900 and was thinking of leaving the stock Xandros EEE version but install Ubuntu 8.04 + Netbook Remix on a microSD stick.

Is it possible? If yes can someone please explain the process to me. Bear with me please because I'm a Linux newb.

Regards,
Sam Spiteri

ukripper
July 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hey Guys,

I've recently purchased an Asus EEE 900 and was thinking of leaving the stock Xandros EEE version but install Ubuntu 8.04 + Netbook Remix on a microSD stick.

Is it possible? If yes can someone please explain the process to me. Bear with me please because I'm a Linux newb.

Regards,
Sam Spiteri

It is possible but i would recommedn using SDHC cards which give you better read/write speed than microsd.
i am using VEHO 8GB SDHC u can get 16GB easily for 35£ nowadays.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143242

postmortemMT
July 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
It is possible but i would recommedn using SDHC cards which give you better read/write speed than microsd.
i am using VEHO 8GB SDHC u can get 16GB easily for 35£ nowadays.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143242

I see. Is the following a worthy purchase? http://scanmalta.com/item.php?WebCategory=flashmem&ProductCode=FLA-L99762

If not, which brands should I look out for? I admit I only bought USB sticks or Pro Duo Sticks in the past thus I do not know which are the better brands when it comes to SDHC sticks..

Thanks,
Sam

ukripper
July 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I see. Is the following a worthy purchase? http://scanmalta.com/item.php?WebCategory=flashmem&ProductCode=FLA-L99762

If not, which brands should I look out for? I admit I only bought USB sticks or Pro Duo Sticks in the past thus I do not know which are the better brands when it comes to SDHC sticks..

Thanks,
Sam

that looks expensive for 8gb. you can get 8gb for 16£ from uk online shop (ebuyer) and this one works in eeepc as i use it - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136210
Veho is uk brand

and for 4 gig one is 8£ http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123309

gn2
July 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The ubuntu 8.04 netbook remix is most definitely NOT for the atom chip only.

I must have misunderstood the minimum specs stated on this page (http://www.canonical.com/netbooks) and the lack of any mention of any other type of CPU.

tact
July 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I must have misunderstood the minimum specs stated on this page (http://www.canonical.com/netbooks) and the lack of any mention of any other type of CPU.

Yep acknowledged. There are apparently contradicting of confusing announcements about it.

From some announcements one gets the impression that the netbook remix will be a whole packaged distro (e.g. comes with packages not in standard ubuntu like liferea etc) but at the moment it is just a small number of packages installed ontop of standard ubuntu install (replacing only things like: window selector, window manager, etc).

Perhaps the differing perceptions are because what is available now is for testing on existing systems. The spins on the page you reference above may be talking about what will eventually be in the hands of vendors to install OEM.

So perhaps what is supplied to vendors to install OEM will be specific to intel atom processors - and the general public will possibly still be able to download the half dozen packages needed to get the remix experience on existing atom, or non-atom, hardware.

geekygirl
July 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I mentioned this in another thred but here goes!

On my EeePC 900 (XP version) with 2G memory

I have the vanilla Xubuntu 8.04 install, installed the eee specific kernel from adamm (eeeuser), sorted out the hotkeys, shrank my /usr folder, and ended up with 2.5G free on the 4G drive! The 8G drive is my /home drive and I have a 16G SDHC for all media and mass storage.

This runs like a dream with very fast boot up times, and shutdown is just about instantaneous. Shrinking the /usr folder sped things up slightly as well. Wouldnt even know it was only a single core CPU!

I opted to go this was as the eeeXubuntu project is no longer being maintained and in a way this is pretty much the same thing.

I have a HOWTO about what I did on my blog.

tact
July 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Had a read of your how-to on your blog geekygirl, nice blog BTW, and nice how to.

About the only suggestion I'd make woud be to add in a bit (as above) about making a "liveUSB" from the ubuntu (or xubuntu) liveCD and do the initial install from a "liveUSB" stick. (For the multitudes with eeepc's but no external CD drive on hand).

It is a pretty simple process (well the one mentioned above is - amongst several other very complicated ways...hehehe) to make a "liveUSB" stick to use for installs. You do not even need a CD drive, and no need to burn the liveCD, to make the liveUSB device - it can all be done (even on a eeepc) directly from the ISO file.

The boot time, and installation process, is much faster than booting a liveCD and installing from that. Much more convenient to carry around too.

Cheers from a fellow Aussie. (Queensland, Beautiful one day - perfect the next.) hehe

geekygirl
July 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for that tact :)

I have had a couple of emails about installation from a USB as well. Will have to have a play around with it and see what I can come up with :)

drascus
July 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
well I use Ubuntu 8.04 on mine.

Tom Mann
July 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm now running Kubuntu Intrepid (KDE4.1 RC1) on my eeePC and it's tasty :-D
Screenshot when I figure out how to :KS

ukripper
July 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Anyone tried ubuntu MID on eeepc yet?

Also, I 've come across this website and found eeebuntu based on netbook remix. has anyone tried this yet? http://www.eeebuntu.org/

ukripper
July 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'm now running Kubuntu Intrepid (KDE4.1 RC1) on my eeePC and it's tasty :-D
Screenshot when I figure out how to :KS

Are you running on internal SSD or on SDHC card?

Bachstelze
July 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Dual-booting Ubuntu Hardy and OpenBSD 4.3.

ukripper
July 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Dual-booting Ubuntu Hardy and OpenBSD 4.3.

hows OpenBSD coping on eeepc? i have always been curious about openBSD. i think it is time for me to try!

Bachstelze
July 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
hows OpenBSD coping on eeepc? i have always been curious about openBSD. i think it is time for me to try!

Very well, if you're fine with using an USB wifi adapter since the AR5007 is not supported yet ;)

(I'm talking about the 701 4G version, by the way)

ukripper
July 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Very well, if you're fine with using an USB wifi adapter since the AR5007 is not supported yet ;)

(I'm talking about the 701 4G version, by the way)

any idea when it will be supported as i have one usb adapter which i am already using on one of my desktop with ndiswrapper.

Do you think ndiswrapper is supported in OpenBSD?

Tom Mann
July 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Are you running on internal SSD or on SDHC card?

Hey I'm running fully on internal SSD - I made a HOWTO for a wired network install (in the sig) if you're interested.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=78492&d=1216664417

mgco
March 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
For quite a long time, I've been meaning to replace the xandrOS-easy that came with my Eee PC 900 (4GB + 16GB SSD)
Currently, I'm seriously considering UNR 9.10 or the Karmic full install.

Need your advice on this please. How to properly proceed & what tools to use etc since I've hit some bumps along the road...

Install Karmic Koala Desktop Ed. on XANDROS error: http://imgur.com/fBDYs.jpg
Test Memory error: http://imgur.com/7V0ns.jpg
Install UNR 9.10 error: http://imgur.com/XIqtd.jpg
Install w/o changes to current OS error: http://imgur.com/1d56u.jpg