PDA

View Full Version : what "Box" do you use?

-grubby
December 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM
what WM (I mean like "Boxes", not like compiz or metacity) do you use? BTW, I use Fluxbox
EDIT: could you list what "boxes" you use?

hhhhhx
December 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM
come again???

fedex1993
December 27th, 2007, 07:30 AM
i prefer openbox black box and fluxbox but openbox is still my long time favorite :0

kellemes
December 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Don't really see what the question is..
Is this about the boxes? flux/open/black-box etc.. Or is this about Window/Desktop-managers? In that case there are a couple missing..

Anyway, currently on blackbox.

-grubby
December 27th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Don't really see what the question is..
Is this about the boxes? flux/open/black-box etc.. Or is this about Window/Desktop-managers? In that case there are a couple missing..

Anyway, currently on blackbox.

well I kind of meant Window managers that function as "Whole" environments (compiz doesn't have menus when you right click, for example)

rjmdomingo2003
December 27th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I use fluxbox although I am also interested in trying openbox, and see what the fuss is about. :)

DoktorSeven
December 27th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Fluxbox always, now, and forever. I [heart] flux.

mellowd
December 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM
terminal :)

fuscia
December 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
i used openbox for a long time and then, fluxbox. now, i'm hooked on wmii. it's had the odd effect of me seemingly losing my interest in wallpapers (i'll be stunned if this lasts).

bonzodog
December 27th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I have become an openbox addict, but I am looking at xmonad for an ultra-lightweight desk.

runningwithscissors
December 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Fluxbox, for the heck of it. I really have no preference one way or the other. I'm happy with almost any WM or DE (GNOME annoys me, but I can live with it).

notwen
December 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I use the GNOME DE on my everyday machines, but I have a Etch server w/ Flux loaded on it, should I ever need a GUI. I've played w/ Flux more than the others, but both OpenBox and BlackBox look interesting, if only I had more time to tinker.

urukrama
December 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Openbox. I haven't seen anything that I liked more. It is a great window manager, fast and light, and great to theme.

Occasionally I also use IceWM. I'm not entirely sure why, but for some odd reason I like it.

And I also use Fvwm-crystal (voted FVWM) occasionally. Very difficult to configure (compared to the ease of Openbox or IceWM), but fun.

vishzilla
December 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM
fluxBOX

jviscosi
December 27th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Fluxbox, OpenBox, and Window Maker.

For reasons that I haven't been able to pin down yet, the Fluxbox development branch (I'll have to get used to not calling it "Fluxbox SVN" anymore) has been quite unstable for me lately, so I've been spending more time in OpenBox and Window Maker than usual.

init1
December 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I tend to change my window manager every once in a while. Currently I'm using 9wm, but I've already changed my /etc/X11/Xsession so that I'll have wm2 the next time I start X. I also use lwm and fluxbox at times.

walkerk
December 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Openbox :)

fuscia
December 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I tend to change my window manager every once in a while. Currently I'm using 9wm, but I've already changed my /etc/X11/Xsession so that I'll have wm2 the next time I start X. I also use lwm and fluxbox at times.

9wm is good, clean fun. wmii rulez!

init1
December 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
9wm is good, clean fun. wmii rulez!
I've used wmii before. I don't remember why I stopped though. I think it was because the keybindings clashed with an app I was using. Right now I'm in TWM.

D-EJ915
December 30th, 2007, 05:53 AM
openbox doesn't have the bar thingy (I don't remember what it's called), out of black/open/flux I use flux when I have a "box" craving.

LaRoza
December 30th, 2007, 05:57 AM
openbox doesn't have the bar thingy (I don't remember what it's called), out of black/open/flux I use flux when I have a "box" craving.

Slit

Fluxbox for me

http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Black%2BWhite?content=72542

nathangrubb has a bunch on there, he's pretty good at making them.

I hide the slit in my theme. If OpenBox doesn't have one, I just may use that instead.

urukrama
December 30th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I've rediscovered my love for Pekwm. It has been quite a while since I've last used it, but it is the default again on my laptop. A great, light, configurable window manager. The only downside is the scarcity of good themes.

(I can't vote for Pekwm as I've voted already :()

I hide the slit in my theme. If OpenBox doesn't have one, I just may use that instead.

The slit in Fluxbox (http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docbook/en/html/chap-slit.html) is where the dockapps go. Openbox has one too, but calls it the 'dock'. But I take it you meant the panel with the tasklist, tray, clock and workspace name? Openbox does not have one of those (but you can add one -- pypanel, fbpanel, lxpanel, etc.).

RedSquirrel
December 31st, 2007, 02:40 AM
Fluxbox Git version for me (almost 10 days old now... maybe it's time for an upgrade!).

I'm using fbpanel with it at the moment instead of the default toolbar. I have a small conky setup to keep an eye on the health of my CPU and fan. ;)

I used dockapps in the past, but only briefly since I don't like clutter and most of the apps were not all that impressive in my opinion.

Dr Small
December 31st, 2007, 02:42 AM
I'm using IceWM

dashnak
December 31st, 2007, 02:46 AM
I use openbox...

-grubby
December 31st, 2007, 04:17 AM
Slit

Fluxbox for me

http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Black%2BWhite?content=72542

nathangrubb has a bunch on there, he's pretty good at making them.

hey thanks laroza. Right now I'm about to upload another

jpkotta
January 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
FVWM, because window managers should be hackable. I just tried out FvwmProxy's groups feature, and I am extremely impressed. You tag windows as belonging to a group, and the group effectively becomes one window (they move together, they get resized together, etc.).

siepo
January 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Fvwm here. I started using it when it was the only game in town and got it tuned to a T. I still do some tinkering with it, but it no longer is the time sink that it used to be. Now and then I try something else but I am just not going through this effort again if I don't have to.
Complete desktop environments (KDE/Gnome/XFCE) just get in my way.

bobbocanfly
January 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I am currently using Openbox.

EnergySamus
January 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I like the X-BOX 360 ! Just kidding!!!!!:lolflag::lolflag:

I use Compiz, yeah, I know that it isn't a box!

EnergySamus

DjBones
January 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
on my laptop I run gnome/compiz
but on my other computers i run awesome & ion & flux respectively
i have to say that ion is still my fave of those though lol

Chipter
January 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
sorry, total noob.

What is a "Box"?

-grubby
January 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
sorry, total noob.

What is a "Box"?

Basically I'm refering to a "standalone" Window Manager (one that doesn't require a Desktop envirornment to work). I suppose "box" is just a term I used to refer to that. Sorry that I threw you off

macogw
January 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Fluxbox for me! I'm borrowing my roommate's laptop while mine gets fixed, and instead of installing all of Ubuntu, I just did a text install and added Fluxbox, Firefox, Pidgin, vim-full, LaTeX, and evince (so I can see my LaTeX output).