PDA

View Full Version : What version of Ubuntu should I recommend to my Linux User's Group

CCNA_student
December 27th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I would like to ask everyone as to whether I should recommend Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu to my Linux User's Group, and whether it should be 7.04 or 7.10. Could you also explain why please? I was just curious as to what everyone here thought about this. Thank you.

Sin Cere

CCNA

-grubby
December 27th, 2007, 06:20 AM
recommend all of them!

hhhhhx
December 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM
recomend the choise to them of which one (or all) you should show them

bufsabre666
December 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM
i say give them a choice, but i say if you have to nothing wrong with strait up gutsy ubuntu

jrusso2
December 27th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Go with the newest and Ubuntu is always the most polished of the three since thats what they focus on.

t0p
December 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Like the majority of participants so far, I voted Ubuntu 7.10 in the poll - if you must recommend just one version, you may as well go with the latest - but (again, like most participants) I think you shouldn't recommend one over the others. All recent releases have a place. Some hardware may do better with Xubuntu. Some hardware may run a different release better. OS selection is a real horses for courses affair, and Ubuntu has a whole stableful of horses to choose from.

Northsider
December 27th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I recommend Gusty...the only other one I tried was 7.04, and that was pretty good too, but I like the multiple monitor support with 7.10

CCNA_student
December 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Could people who think KDE and/or Xfce is better than Gnome please state why? Thank you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

jerrylamos
December 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM
I use both Xubuntu and Ubuntu, multi-booted on two desktops and one laptop.

As an "ordinary user" Xubuntu is faster at booting, internet browsing, especially internet videos, etc. I don't notice much difference in speed vs. Ubuntu in writing documents or internet emails or graphics, photos, and printing remotely on our local lan.

Ubuntu has more function such as screen capture (for Sudoku and word jumbles), browsing and sharing files and photos on our local lan, and comes with gedit pretty good for editing system files.

Kubuntu has more eye candy hence more overhead if what you want to do is work with your pc in itself. As such I find I have to go thru lots more windows to do the same thing as Ubuntu. It also has a hitch in coming with Konqueror instead of Firefox. Konqueror doesn't seem to handle internet videos so I have to add Firefox; at that point might as well use a linux that has Firefox standard like Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

If you're on a PC with 2 gHz or better, Ubuntu is fine. Lower than 2 gHz there are times Xubuntu is noticeably faster.

So you pays your money and takes your choice. Frankly, with a 40 GB hard disk, I can dual boot with a 10G partition for Ubuntu, a 10G for Xubuntu, 20G for a shared /home and don't forget to squeeze in a shared 512 mb swap.

Why dual boot? as time goes on, new releases of Ubuntu come out, much better to try it on one partition leaving an existing partition still running. In that light I always download from Daily Build and never do an upgrade. With backup CD's of previous release there's a life line, and the /home stays put. (back it up too). R/W CD's and/or USB flash memory are good for backup.

By the way, I don't do games or 3D desktops etc. I do like to try new Ubuntu/Xubuntu Alpha, Beta, etc.

Jerry

Sef
December 30th, 2007, 03:41 AM
If you are just starting out and your hardware can support Ubuntu, go with Ubuntu. Most people here use Ubuntu and so help is more often quicker than using Kubuntu. If after a you get used to Ubuntu and want to try Kubuntu, I would encourage you to try it and see if it works for you.

Xubuntu is good for older computers without a lot of CPU and ram.

CCNA_student
December 31st, 2007, 04:18 AM
Would the people who voted for Kubuntu 7.04 please state why. I was wondering if there was a big difference in how Gnome and KDE actually function, which one has more bugs, or if they just look different. Thank you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

smartboyathome
December 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
Would the people who voted for Kubuntu 7.04 please state why. I was wondering if there was a big difference in how Gnome and KDE actually function, which one has more bugs, or if they just look different. Thank you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

KDE focuses on doing GUIs for everything, while GNOME focuses on ease of use. Some people like the extra customizability that comes with KDE, and some don't like the clutteredness of it. Some like how easy and clean GNOME feels, while others don't like how limited it feals. Just depends on what type of person you are.

kevdog
December 31st, 2007, 06:09 AM
I think Ubuntu is the answer according to the poll. Its a good choice for beginners. The actual difference is very little between KDE and Gnome. People like to write about the two like there is a huge divide between the two. Its also possible to install both of them at the same time.

rlpayne
December 31st, 2007, 06:24 AM
There are a lot of Ubuntu based distros out there outside of your native Ubuntu. I suggest gOs to those who are new to linux and are looking to make that transition from windows to linux. I ordered gOs on a live/install CD three days ago and I am totally impressed with what they have done. Basically, you have Ubuntu with the enlightenment DR17 windows manager. So, if your new to linux, I would suggest gOs, but if you've been working with linux for awhile, go ahead and try Ubuntu 7.10.