PDA

View Full Version : Desklets are cool, but are they useful?

SomeGuyDude
December 27th, 2007, 05:34 AM
This has been bugging me for a while.

I really like the various screenlets/desklets you can find, both gdesklets and Screenlets, but despite this I've yet to make much use of either. I keep trying them, have both installed, and I periodically put a few on my desktop but then later get rid of them.

The problem is, they're behind everything. So I keep a busy desktop, but if I want to see something that's in the back I need to minimize everything but can't do it via the "show desktop" button because that minimizes them as well. They aren't in the taskbar so I can't select them via that.

I tried the compiz widget layer thing, but that deactivated everything else. I could bring all my widgets to the front, but I couldn't do anything else while they were ON the front. Then there's the problem of finding any that do anything really necessary.

I love the IDEA of desklets because, as I've said in other posts, I love the concept of the "physical" desktop and desklets aid greatly in that. Thus far I haven't been able to implement it.

So any of you users of these things, if you could tell me what I'm doing wrong or how you make them work for you that'd be fantastic.

BLTicklemonster
December 27th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Are you using gnome? Desklets are great for desktop environments or window managers like fluxbox, icewm and all where you don't have desktop icons, and have very limited - anything.

SomeGuyDude
December 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Are you using gnome? Desklets are great for desktop environments or window managers like fluxbox, icewm and all where you don't have desktop icons, and have very limited - anything.

Yep, I'm a GNOME user. My hardware isn't a limiting factor at all (using 25% of my memory currently), and I dislike desktop icons. I don't even like it when I have an icon on my desktop when I mount hardware. Spoils the image in my mind.

p_quarles
December 27th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I don't have much experience with Gnome-based desktop apps, but I've used Superkaramba and Conky extensively. Anyway, they can be useful, but it depends entirely on what you're doing with them. Having Conky tell me exactly which process suddenly decided that it needed 100% of both processors is very useful. A panel that tells me it's snowing and cold when I can just as easily detect these facts via my window -- less useful.

Asking whether "desklets" are useful is kind of like asking whether applications are useful. There is no answer to such a general question.

Dark Hornet
December 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM
I completely understand what you are saying...and for me, I switched to AWN curves--its a "dock", but you are able to put different applets on it such as time, weather, cpu utilization, etc...Good Luck!

hhhhhx
December 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Depends entirly on what your doing. tok me a while untill i found something usefull for desklets, and now im all conky, all the way