PDA

View Full Version : PDC 05-New Vista Screenshots

drizek
September 13th, 2005, 02:43 AM
http://blog.uxevolutions.com/pdc05/entries/16

should be leaked in a day or two. looks pretty good compared to beta 1.

Edit: OMG, total KDE rip http://www.win-vista.net/modules.php?set_albumName=VistaCodenameLonghornBui ld%3A5219&id=10_G&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
and this http://blog.uxevolutions.com/pdc05/images/7

Qrk
September 13th, 2005, 04:24 AM
I really like it. Thats a neat theme they have going on. XP's theme looks old compared to this. While XP seemed cartoonish, this is very classy. Could they place the trash bin on the panel ala Ubuntu?

Brunellus
September 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I really like it. Thats a neat theme they have going on. XP's theme looks old compared to this. While XP seemed cartoonish, this is very classy. Could they place the trash bin on the panel ala Ubuntu?
awww. cute. Microsoft is getting all grown-up!

poofyhairguy
September 13th, 2005, 04:30 AM
http://blog.uxevolutions.com/pdc05/entries/16

I hope you can turn the transparancy off.

YourSurrogateGod
September 13th, 2005, 04:41 AM
I'll burn for saying this, but that was pretty slick.

It's actually coming to the level of XFCE and Gnome in terms of slickness (the desktop that is.)

And I'll second the notion that XP looks sort of childish and corny.

drizek
September 13th, 2005, 05:00 AM
theres a actually a feature where it turns off by itself. if you bought a $500 video card instead of the $800 one, the transparency is turned off automatically!

the looks are OK, not too good IMO though. and looking at thos escreenshots and hte sidebar, i just realised how much better kde 4 will be. with longhorn, everything is docked in a panel. with osx and dashboard everything is on the "third layer" and movable. KDE 4 will let you drag n drop applets from the panel to the desktop as well as the hideable "third layer."

im still pretty pissed about how they just totally ripped off those KDE features. oh well, at least MS is doing their part to improve interoperability.

That aside, i just cant wait to fire up minesweeper on my new 7800gtx. although i might have to play at medium settings cause it doesnt meet the recommended requirements :(

YourSurrogateGod
September 13th, 2005, 05:07 AM
im still pretty pissed about how they just totally ripped off those KDE features. oh well, at least MS is doing their part to improve interoperability.
In all fairness, when it comes to GUIs, sometimes things are sometimes invented simultaneously. That and earlier versions of Gnome (I believe) had a "begin" button in the same spot that Windows had their start button.

When it comes to GUIs, those are minor things ;) . Personally, I'm interested in what's under the hood.

skoal
September 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM
I love it. I like the way they do transparency, which is far cleaner an approach. I always find myself turning off transparency on linux since it bleeds into the foreground window and text (no matter how I set it with transset).

Vista still doesn't seem to have multiple desktops that I can see from those shots, so it gets a health "B-" from me...

\\//_

drizek
September 13th, 2005, 05:20 AM
When it comes to GUIs, those are minor things ;) . Personally, I'm interested in what's under the hood.

the same old crap, in this build at least. this is just eyecandy. the under the hood stuff will be in vista beta 2, which should come out near the end of the year.

as for the transparency thing, transparency in linux ATM is pretty crappy compared to this. but KDE 4 should provide a lot of the same features and more. the only thing that might be missing is the transparency of the toolbars. otherwise, its already possible to use fake-ish transparency with lighting and stuff on the window manager. http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13969

Imrahil
September 13th, 2005, 05:36 AM
In all fairness, when it comes to GUIs, sometimes things are sometimes invented simultaneously. That and earlier versions of Gnome (I believe) had a "begin" button in the same spot that Windows had their start button.

Wow you could have at least searched the net for some dates to back this up. Windows 95, which features that famous start button, predated gnome by 2 years. A better (and more accurate) way to put it would be that there are only four corners on a screen and the best place to put a programs menu is one of them.

TravisNewman
September 13th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Wow you could have at least searched the net for some dates to back this up. Windows 95, which features that famous start button, predated gnome by 2 years. A better (and more accurate) way to put it would be that there are only four corners on a screen and the best place to put a programs menu is one of them.
I think wwhat he meant is that, sometimes things are invented simultaneously, and sometimes things appear in Linux AFTER Windows, so it's not all microsoft's fault.

YourSurrogateGod
September 13th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I fail to see how I have stated something inaccurate.

Some earlier versions of Gnome did have such a button and this is something that it has had in common with Windows. Notice how I didn't specifically state which one was earlier.

You misread my post bro.

YourSurrogateGod
September 13th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I think wwhat he meant is that, sometimes things are invented simultaneously, and sometimes things appear in Linux AFTER Windows, so it's not all microsoft's fault.
Close enough :) .

drizek
September 13th, 2005, 05:50 AM

while thats true, that is not the case here. KDE has had that picture preview feature for years, and this is the first time MS has ever showcased it. It is entirely possible and rather probably that they copied it straight from KDE. Because while this might seem to be a conincidence, there are a lot of "new" features in vista that have been in kde/gnome/*nix for ages.*cough*su*cough*.

Back to the start menu thing, the three gnome menus, the k menu and the windows menu are different. and in kde 4, there will be a totally different menu system too. that is ok. but these two preview features are exactly the same as the kde versions with no less and no more functionality.

although i could be wrong about all of this and MS really did come up with this on their own, but wheres the fun in that? ;-)

Qrk
September 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Thats what you paid 200 bucks for.

tseliot
September 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I think that the aspect of an OS is the easiest thing to change. They can make Windows look like Linux but they can't make it WORK like it. And that's the reason (well, one of the reasons) why I switched to Linux and I won't install windows any more.

darkmatter
September 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
That is SLICK. One thing that has impressed me about Vista is how elegant and professional the eye candy is.

If only the same were true for the underpinnings...

ssck
September 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM
looks very nice and slick .... definitely better than the cartoonish win xp

joker
September 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I love it. I like the way they do transparency, which is far cleaner an approach. I always find myself turning off transparency on linux since it bleeds into the foreground window and text (no matter how I set it with transset).

Vista still doesn't seem to have multiple desktops that I can see from those shots, so it gets a health "B-" from me...

\\//_

I hate to say it, but windows XP has multiple desktops, so i would think Vista will also. The multiple desktop selector is hidden by default in XP, I guess they figure that it would just confuse most people. To turn it on right click in the dock where the clock is, select properties, then select customize, change the multi desktop option to "always show" and your set. The desktop selector is not implemented in an intuitive way like it is in... well pretty much any of the linux window managers, so we still have that O:) .

drummer
September 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I hate to say it, but windows XP has multiple desktops, so i would think Vista will also. The multiple desktop selector is hidden by default in XP, I guess they figure that it would just confuse most people. To turn it on right click in the dock where the clock is, select properties, then select customize, change the multi desktop option to "always show" and your set. The desktop selector is not implemented in an intuitive way like it is in... well pretty much any of the linux window managers, so we still have that O:) .I would never have known.. and there i was, thinking Windows just ignored any and all good interface disigns. The XP Start menu is still the worst I've seen though.. it's damn confusing and has some pointless/annoying features.

escuchamezz
September 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM
it looks great, i can't wait till it gets released. Linux is still catching up with XP, Microsoft have another top OS on their hands here, well done to Gates, Ballmer and the team :smile:

YourSurrogateGod
September 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM
it looks great, i can't wait till it gets released. Linux is still catching up with XP, Microsoft have another top OS on their hands here, well done to Gates, Ballmer and the team :smile:
Keep drinking out of the propaganda well.

Muhammad
September 13th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Eh... Windows doesn't seem to impress me anymore...

Stormy Eyes
September 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM
The emperor is still naked, and he is still poorly endowed.

YourSurrogateGod
September 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM
If I simply start buying Gamecube games instead of PC ones, I can fully move my ass over to Linux and have no need for my NTFS partition. Oh yes...

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 12:23 AM
it looks great, i can't wait till it gets released.

For once I actually have to agree with escuchamezz. I think it looks kinda cool. Lots of stuff I read about it (like how when you run the mouse along the taskbar you are shown thumbnails) makes me think "man, thats cool."

Vista might be the first MS OS I buy not as part of the new computer tax...

(unless KDE 4 is released by then. No dice if that happens)

skoal
September 14th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Multiple desktops on XP? Holy smokage. I have never used XP, but that's very interesting to hear...

No matter your affiliations, any true geek worth his weight in hair grease would anticipate any such tech release, albeit software or hardware, from Linux or Microsoft. I too congratulate Mr. Ballmer. I for one welcome my new chair throwing hairless overlord!

\\//_

YourSurrogateGod
September 14th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I for one welcome my new chair throwing hairless overlord!
:lol:

Lemme guess, you're a farker as well?

xequence
September 14th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Heh, with all the DRM it doesent matter what vista looks like, I wont use it. Though the minimize, and close buttons look cool.

it looks great, i can't wait till it gets released. Linux is still catching up with XP, Microsoft have another top OS on their hands here, well done to Gates, Ballmer and the team

Eh? Linux is lightyears ahead of windows.

endy
September 14th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Exactly, this eyecandy is attracting people like a moth to a flame, have Microsoft spent all their time making it look pretty or did they spend time stabilising and securing the beast?

drizek
September 14th, 2005, 02:54 AM
(like how when you run the mouse along the taskbar you are shown thumbnails) makes me think "man, thats cool."

THATS A KDE FEATURE

Clickety (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=16261)

MetalMusicAddict
September 14th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Eh? Linux is lightyears ahead of windows.
OK kid. Back it up. How? :) I have an opinion on this but lets see what you have to say.

On the screenshots note; I like alot of the new eye-candy but so far I dont know if its gonna be enough to shell out cash for 1 of the 5 or 6 versions that they are going to have. Im feelin' more and more @ /home (<-Im so l33t) everyday in Ubuntu. ;)

YourSurrogateGod
September 14th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Exactly, this eyecandy is attracting people like a moth to a flame, have Microsoft spent all their time making it look pretty or did they spend time stabilising and securing the beast?
Well, to be fair, XP is reasonably stable. The reason why it is unstable is because someone in Microsoft thought of a genius idea to have drivers for all of the devices integrated into the kernel :roll: , which is why we have the blue-screen of death. If they simply buried the kernel away from the drivers, you'd simply get an annoying error message and the OS would continue to work fine...

YourSurrogateGod
September 14th, 2005, 03:36 AM
OK kid. Back it up. How? :) I have an opinion on this but lets see what you have to say.

On the screenshots note; I like alot of the new eye-candy but so far I dont know if its gonna be enough to shell out cash for 1 of the 5 or 6 versions that they are going to have. Im feelin' more and more @ /home (<-Im so l33t) everyday in Ubuntu. ;)
I'll probably get Vista sooner or later (most likely later.) All of the games will be on Windows and I like games, so I'll have to buy the darn thing. I'll simply wait after the release for 2 reasons, 1) let the developers get all of the bugs out 2) I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for that, I'll wait for the price to come down.

Qrk
September 14th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Its not enough to make me buy windows. But it just might be enough for me to try KDE 4.0.

drizek
September 14th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Newsflash: you dont need vista to play games or run windows programs. Windows xp will work just fine for that until at least 2008. hell you will even be able to run office 12 and a bunch of other longhorn technologies like avalon and a partial winfs on windows xp

in fact, other than winfs integration(which you wont need if youre going to be using linux for daily tasks anyway), there really is nothing really new and exciting under the hood. its the same old crap in a new wrapper.

before you know it, beta builds of KDE 4 and maybe even gnome 3 will start to show up and youll forget this thing even exists.its new and shiny now, but i already feel they went overboard with the graphics. too much bevel and lighting and they commited the apple sin. form>function. you cant really tell from the screenshots, but when you use this thing, youll know that there are a few new usability issues as a result of ths facelift. however, the new solitaire does look nice.

skoal
September 14th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Lemme guess, you're a farker as well?
What's a farker? Seriously. I'm pretty oblivious to such things. I checked out farker.net but can't quite figure out the cut of their jib. I'm always looking for new cults to throw my money into. How do I join this farker elit3? According to most drivers whizzing by me on the highway, they seem to think I'm a farker too...a slow one at that. Is the middle finger some kind of secret handshake for us farkers? As I roll in my '64, I've been throwing up gang signs instead (see the sig)...

\\//_

YourSurrogateGod
September 14th, 2005, 04:43 AM
What's a farker? Seriously. I'm pretty oblivious to such things. I checked out farker.net but can't quite figure out the cut of their jib. I'm always looking for new cults to throw my money into. How do I join this farker elit3? According to most drivers whizzing by me on the highway, they seem to think I'm a farker too...a slow one at that. Is the middle finger some kind of secret handshake for us farkers? As I roll in my '64, I've been throwing up gang signs instead (see the sig)...

\\//_
Try fark.com...

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 04:57 AM
THATS A KDE FEATURE

Clickety (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=16261)

You just made my life better.

KDE 4 will be better than sliced bread.

YourSurrogateGod
September 14th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Umm... I don't get it, how will this be a blessing?

drizek
September 14th, 2005, 05:41 AM

but thats from kde 3.2. they stolded it from us. the precious is lost!

KDE 4 may fall short of vista in a couple of ways, but thats ok. blackcomb will be a much less ambitious project than was longhorn. linux will leapfrog vista in a matter of months. every windows release is plagued by something unforseen and linux is always the way out. there will be issues with vista, im sure of it. when windows xp was released, MS fixed a lot of the stability issues, but then the widespread adoption resulted in a flood of spyware and other security issues. vista is far from immune from these, and the security measures MS has taken to prevent them will be annoying and frustrating to the user.

i think the biggest issue with vista is just going to be MS's ability to sell it to the masses who dont care about eyecandy and crap like that. it is unfamiliar to them and they wont want to learn a new interface, especially one as badly designed as vistas is. the bloat is unbelievable. also now with the release of beta 2, i think all the enthusiasts who would otherwise be wetting their pants for longhorn are going to get rather bored of it over the enxt year and by the time it is released, they would want to switch to something else like linux.

when you think about it, although linux is touted as an open system, it is actually much more closed than windows. the large majority of our software comes from a few well-regulated repositories and this is a major reason why we dont have a lot of the issues windows does. even source code mostly comes from something like sourceforge.

poofyhairguy
September 14th, 2005, 05:52 AM
but thats from kde 3.2. they stolded it from us. the precious is lost!

The one with icon zooming too. I need to find an old Knoppix disk from that era!

benplaut
September 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM

i agree.

when it comes out, i will get a new computer to run it on :neutral:

Perfect Storm
September 14th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I think people are forgetting how a monster PC is needed for running VISTA...It's a waste in good resources which could be used for programs instead.

skoal
September 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I think people are forgetting how a monster PC is needed for running VISTA...It's a waste in good resources which could be used for programs instead.
Yeah, I dunno though. It sure is a lot funner the Vista way. I saw one guy at the 1/4 race track who crammed a 572ci/720hp crate motor into a pinto. Watching flames shoot out the sides and smoke hit me in the face sure made up for the $7 Budweiser...

\\//_

MetalMusicAddict
September 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I dunno though. It sure is a lot funner the Vista way. I saw one guy at the 1/4 race track who crammed a 572ci/720hp crate motor into a pinto. Watching flames shoot out the sides and smoke hit me in the face sure made up for the $7 Budweiser...

\\//_
HELL YEA!!! :)
572 Crate (http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1950-1959/1955-Buick-Roadmaster-Jay-Leno-572-Crate-Motor-1280x960.jpg) & Pinto (http://www.cardatabase.net/photos/big/00006912.jpg) For those not in-the-know. ;)

drizek
September 15th, 2005, 04:16 AM
About that task preview feature, in KDE it is just a screenshot of the window. in vista it is actually live and you can even watch videos in there. BTW, the build has leaked, pm me if you want at link to the torrent, or check out piratebay.

BTW, it is "legal" to download and use this with the cd key included with the nfo file. but it is not legal to activate it, and the unactivated version dies after 30 days. so you dont really have to worry about it from that POV, and if the moderators dont object, i can put up a link to the torrent right here.