PDA

View Full Version : Booting Windows off an external hard drive?

Dark Aspect
December 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi

I know this unrelated to Ubuntu but I was hoping some one would have an idea on how to do this or know its possible.I am trying to boot windows XP off an external hard drive with little success,I tried (illegal activity is banned on ubuntu forums) .After modifing my XP disc I got though the entire installation but I can't boot off the hard drive,it stalls at the Windows XP logo and restarts my entire computer.

I don't really want people to help me as much as I would like to know if people think this is hardware related.I brought the USB drive primary to boot off of it and it would defeat the purpose in having it if I can't find a way to boot off USB.I have a ASUS A8N-E motherboard and I am trying to boot off a SimpleTech SP-U35/250.

This is my model (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000NF8X9C/themussou0516485-20)

Sef
December 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Locking the thread since what is described in the tutorial is illegal and removing the link to the howto.

3) Dumping the original Windows CD into an ISO File

Pretty easy one. Simply open WinISO, and select Actions -> Make ISO from CDROM, and save your CD image.