PDA

View Full Version : Help with regexes?

sammydee
December 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hi all

I'm a bit stuck here.

I want to search within my music directory and display all files that do NOT contain a '[' character.

I think I can do it with

ls -R | grep -E someregex

I've googled for ages but can't find any site that tells me how to only match strings that do NOT contain a certain character.

Any help?

Sam

psusi
December 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
[^x] matches a character OTHER than x, so what you want is:

[^\[]*

Which will match any sequence of 0 or more characters other than '[' ( which has to be escaped with \ since it has special meaning ).

sammydee
December 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Well I tried with:

ls -R | grep '[^\[]*'

But it didn't work. It still listed a load of files with [ in the filename.

I think I should add that the '[' character could be anywhere in the filename, not necessarily at the beginning.

I think what '[^\[]*' does is to match any string that does not BEGIN with a '['. The '[' could be anywhere in the filename.

Any ideas?

Sam

ghostdog74
December 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM
if you have GNU ls, which i assume you do,
you can use the ignore option

# ls -ltr --ignore="*\[*"

or if you want to use grep

ls -ltr |grep -v "\["

read up the man page of grep and ls for more info.

psusi
December 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
That shouldn't work either. I just realized that with the star, it will match any string that contains 0 or more characters OTHER than '[', even if it does contain a '['. Without the star, it matches anything that contains exactly one character that is not a [, even if it still has a [ in it.

You need to use the start and end of line anchors to exclude the possibility of any other characters on the line:

^[^\[]*$

That will match any sequence of characters other than '[' that lie between the start and end of the line ( with nothing else ).

ghostdog74
December 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Any ideas?

yes, read this (http://kaspersandberg.com/~redeeman/Mastering.Regular.Expressions.3rd.Edition.chm)