PDA

View Full Version : Nothings going Microsofts way.....

nebu
December 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Microsoft has been developing this new multi touch system based on vista called Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/), for the past couple of years..... the ads they have put up on the net and the videos i have seen on you tube are very impressive... however to finally get ur hands on one of these..... ull have to dish out a small fortune....

Now this guy has figured out how to use the wiimote’s infrared camera beam to make any surface multi touch device..... this works out to be a much-much cheaper alternative to the surface.... and with some more software.... in a few days it may even rival the surface

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Very nice

GSF1200S
December 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
And someone already has it working for Linux!

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1896018&forum_id=766286

Dude.. im seriously thinking about trying this...

I really respect this guy putting it up on sourceforge... its guys like this that make the tech world a better place...

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'm going to try it out when I get home

kamaboko
December 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Interesting, but it is missing substantial features of the MS Surface. For instance, one is not going to put their camera on the desktop surface and have all of their pictures download from the camera and be displayed on the surface of the table. Next, one cannot move pictures or music from one cell phone or Zune to another. And, the Surface does not require one to hold LED pens or devices in their hands to manipulate objects, not to mention place LED reception devices off to the side to access 45 degree angle views of LED emitting devices. I could go on, but I won't. The point has been made.

Seriously people...there are major deficiencies here relative to the Surface.

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Interesting, but it is missing substantial features of the MS Surface. For instance, one is not going to put their camera on the desktop surface and have all of their pictures download from the camera and be displayed on the surface of the table. Next, one cannot move pictures or music from one cell phone or Zune to another. And, the Surface does not require one to hold LED pens or devices in their hands to manipulate objects, not to mention place LED reception devices off to the side to access 45 degree angle views of LED emitting devices. I could go on, but I won't. The point has been made.

Seriously people...there are major deficiencies here relative to the Surface.

Including the price. The OP was about emulating certain features for a tiny fraction of the cost

GSF1200S
December 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Including the price. The OP was about emulating certain features for a tiny fraction of the cost

Agreed.. This isnt some corporate release- its a guy using a wii remote! This is a cheap way to accomplish what MS has probably spent millions. I mean, one could definitely develop and implement controls to rid the use of the pen...

Even if not, its a cheap substitute to a very expensive computer. And just wait until its freely available.. Linux will be all over it...

scizzo
December 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Thats really cool!

oldb0y
December 26th, 2007, 03:33 PM
That was really neat. If I ever get myself a Wii, I will try this for sure.

fatality_uk
December 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM
AMAZING!!! When I get back to the UK I may well give this a go
Thanks great post

mellowd
December 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
That was really neat. If I ever get myself a Wii, I will try this for sure.

just get the Wiimote itself :) Around £30 but the Wii only comes with one, so when you get it you'll have 2.

jondecker76
December 26th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Very interesting.. There are several DIY multitouch projects that work in linux. Most of them use an FTIR board made of plexiglass so you can use your fingers directly.. Using the Wiimotes IR camera would probably work great with those setups too (most of them are using webcams with an IR filter over the lense)

klange
December 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I prefer the VR headtracking, now that is an awesome DIY WiiMote project that I want added as a plugin to Compiz...

Nekiruhs
December 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't own a Wii but this is cool. This, among the other amazing plethora of Wiimote hacks, makes me want to buy a Wiimote by itself. Anyone know how much they are? If its under $30 I'm in heaven!

mips
December 26th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't own a Wii but this is cool. This, among the other amazing plethora of Wiimote hacks, makes me want to buy a Wiimote by itself. Anyone know how much they are? If its under $30 I'm in heaven!

Official list price is $39.99+shipping, you could probably get one for $40 with shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000IMWK2G/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_pg_new?ie=UTF8&coliid=&startIndex=0&qid=&sellerID=&sr=&colid=&condition=new

Another option might be Ebay:
http://video-games.search.ebay.com/wii_W0QQa51Z24257QQa6Z24244QQalistZa51Q2ca6QQcatre fZC12QQgcsZ1132QQpfidZ1411QQpfmodeZ2QQreqtypeZ1QQs acatZQ2d100

kamaboko
December 26th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Agreed.. This isnt some corporate release- its a guy using a wii remote! This is a cheap way to accomplish what MS has probably spent millions. I mean, one could definitely develop and implement controls to rid the use of the pen...

Even if not, its a cheap substitute to a very expensive computer. And just wait until its freely available.. Linux will be all over it...

Not. MS didn't spend millions trying to figure out how to track a light pen. Either do the research into the technology and make informed comments, or just sit by the side line and read comments made by informed people.

Black Mage
December 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I was wondering the whole video, how does he double click or use the right click?

gn2
December 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Interesting and very clever.

Reminded me of this kind of thing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/2000/dot_life/2326077.stm

stalker145
December 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Microsoft has been developing this new multi touch system based on vista called Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/), for the past couple of years..... the ads they have put up on the net and the videos i have seen on you tube are very impressive... however to finally get ur hands on one of these..... ull have to dish out a small fortune....

Now this guy has figured out how to use the wiimote’s infrared camera beam to make any surface multi touch device..... this works out to be a much-much cheaper alternative to the surface.... and with some more software.... in a few days it may even rival the surface

This is by far one of the best hacks I've seen in quite a while. I just sat here gasping at how cool it was... LOL

Not. MS didn't spend millions trying to figure out how to track a light pen. Either do the research into the technology and make informed comments, or just sit by the side line and read comments made by informed people.

Come on, man. It's not about this guy trying to put MS in its place. This is about getting similar, not identical, functionality for a fraction of the cost. Just sit back and enjoy the ingenuity of this guy. I know I will be trying out his projects just for fun :D

Vaelrith
December 26th, 2007, 07:19 PM
That's awesome. Too bad my wiimote it out of batteries...

How does the wiimote know when the pen touches the screen/table/whatever surface?

GSF1200S
December 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM

No but they do cost 5-10k a piece, and I can imagine that near that amount was spent on development. Was I talking about a light pen? No, I was talking about Surfaces design, which does not incorporate a light pen.

Im sorry Mr. Windows avatar if I offended you with generalizations, but why should I stand by when you feel it perfectly acceptable to attack me?

Come on now.. I didnt attack you...

stalker145
December 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM
That's awesome. Too bad my wiimote it out of batteries...

How does the wiimote know when the pen touches the screen/table/whatever surface?

From the looks of the video, the WiiMote will pick up the LED once it's turned on. At least that's my guess with the momentary on/off button on the pen.

So, when you're ready to write/move/whatever, turn on the pen and just do it ;)

Vaelrith
December 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
From the looks of the video, the WiiMote will pick up the LED once it's turned on. At least that's my guess with the momentary on/off button on the pen.

So, when you're ready to write/move/whatever, turn on the pen and just do it ;)

Ahh, thanks, i see the button on the pen now :)

jperez
December 26th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I nearly crapped my pants seeing that ;~;

Boredom at it's best! :lolflag:

No, but seriously, that rocked so hard that it made me wanna wet myself. I SO wanna try that once my Financial Aid check comes in. :)

Jesse~