PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for computer speakers...

holdie
December 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM
So I'd like to get some speakers for my computer (Dell Inspiron 6000, if that matters)...I'm a big music dude, and although i don't have to have the best of the best I would still like to get mid-high quality sound (or at least better than these damn laptop speakers...)

anyways, what would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I'm curious as to what is out there

thanks a bunch

zcal
December 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I'm curious as to what is out there

You should check your local thrift stores. I got a Koss 4.0 stereo system at Goodwill for $20 because its 3-CD changer didn't work. It does, however, have stereo auxiliary inputs. Paired it with a headphone jack to audio RCA cable from Radioshack and now I've got an awesome sound system for my laptop, dirt cheap. :D

hardyn
December 26th, 2007, 01:02 AM
So I'd like to get some speakers for my computer (Dell Inspiron 6000, if that matters)...I'm a big music dude

Then you probably already know pretty much what you want. there are literally zillions of speaker packages to choose from, so its really going to be your money that is limiting you. Like the previous poster mentioned, do you already own anything with an AUX in? if not i know that creative offers speakers from 20$ to about 500$ and you can go much beyond that.

I have found that the cheap speakers offer very little in tonal control, and the bass is usually far too pronounced (probably a selling feature... "wow, cool bass man!") and because speakers are a pretty much a purely mechanical device, the better the speaker the larger and heavier the enclosure must be.

Its boxing day tomorrow... if you have the nerves, brave the shopping and see what is out there, you might get a floor model or something discontinued really cheap this week.

cheers.

el_ricardo
December 26th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I bought some altec lansing speakers for £50 (around $100, i'm assuming your in the states) and they are fantastic, they have a nice powerful sub, the satellites have 2 tweaters and a down-facing mid range speaker. I couldn't believe i could get such good quality speakers for so little money (i would have expected to spend at least £150 for a system like this) I sort of expected them to deteriorate, because i listen to a lot of loud music, but i've noticed none whatsoever!

i'd definatly recomend altec lansing

my speakers (http://www.alteclansing.co.uk/proddata.php?partno=E3235&desc1=Altec%20VS4121)

altec lansing website (http://www.alteclansing.com/)

Kiwitech
December 26th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Seriously it does not matter what kind of speakers you buy,the biggest question you need to answer is one of affordability, there are many different types around, also check the nearest thrift shops, second hand stores etc. Good luck, and happy hunting. :)

Spr0k3t
December 26th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I'm a bit of an audiophile myself. I use a combination of JL/Clarion Pro/Memphis Audio in my car. I've got a matched set of Boston Acoustics T-830 (4 total) with the paired BA-A60 and BA-A40 bookshelf speakers.... but I digress

Let me get to the point. The best computer speakers I've ever had are the Altec Lansing ACS56. The set is a 4.1 surround and the tonal quality on this set is nearly unmatched price for performance. Very few sets will allow you to hear the ambience and overtone differences between a violin and a viola. You can get this particular set real cheap now through online stores. I've seen the set go for as cheap as $45 in great working condition. I've got three sets and have yet to find a better set for even twice as much as I originally paid.

holdie
December 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I tried looking for those Altec Lansing speakers, but I couldn't find any retailers that had them in stock (not to mention I'd like to get something from bestbuy as a result of gift cards and such)...I checked newegg and they've got a deal on a set of speakers that Creative makes...anyone ever dealt with these speakers before? They seem to be getting pretty positive reviews...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116153

holdie
December 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQ2P2/sr=1-2/qid=1198695504/ref=pd_cp_e_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1198695504&sr=1-2&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000H5F0KS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MTZ1N1WBFB54CC92FC7

sorry, but I think these are actually ore of what I'm looking for as far as music goes...what do you think?

mips
December 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Personally I would go to a secondhand, pawn, slavation army store etc find myself a nice NAD stereo amp and two nice bookshelf or monitor speakers to go with it.

That is my current setup and I prefer them over pc speakers which I think are crap.

gn2
December 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Personally I would go to a secondhand, pawn, slavation army store etc find myself a nice NAD stereo amp and two nice bookshelf or monitor speakers to go with it.

That is my current setup and I prefer them over pc speakers which I think are crap.

I agree 100%

I have a Rotel RA930 and a pair of Mordaunt Short MS25i floorstanders connected to the PC I listen to music on.

I also have a Creative Labs MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D PC speaker system and contrary to all the reviews I read beforehand, the sound quality from them is simply appallng.
This was a big disappointment because they were supposed to be a very good top notch product.

If you want to listen to music, do not buy PC speakers.

holdie
December 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM
alright well it seems the recurring theme here is to check out some of the second-hand places around here, so that's what I think I'm gonna do...as far as that goes, anything I should be on the lookout for in particular? Additionally, as far as hookup goes would I just use an auxilliary input to go from my headphone jack into the back of the speakers?

thanks

wolfen69
December 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM
these Klipsch 2.1 speakers http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx are incredible. they will blow you away with quality and loudness. they are loud enough to fill a large room.

zcal
December 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM
alright well it seems the recurring theme here is to check out some of the second-hand places around here, so that's what I think I'm gonna do...as far as that goes, anything I should be on the lookout for in particular? Additionally, as far as hookup goes would I just use an auxilliary input to go from my headphone jack into the back of the speakers?

I would go into the hunt with a basic idea of what you want in mind. The easiest thing to do would be to look for some sort of setup that uses simple auxiliary inputs. More than likely, you'll end up needing a receiver or some central unit for doing this. But, the best part about thrift shopping is that it's such a wild card. You just don't know what you're going to find, so be flexible and keep an open mind. Thrifty audio setups can turn into a great DIY project.

Some of the posters in this thread have expressed discontent with PC speakers in general. Just to add my two cents...I bought a $20 (or $15, can't remember) 2.1 set of OEM USAP PC speakers a few years back when I was building a desktop machine, and they turned out to be some of the best I've ever owned. Shopping for PC speakers does seem to be hit or miss.

chrismine
December 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I have a set of Altec Lansing MX 5021 speakers and they are exceptional.

If you can lay your hands on Altec Lansing you won't be sorry.

Connecting your PC to Hifi is also a good idea - have done this with my NAD 3020B with 90 W RMS SEAS speakers and the Altec Lansings @ 73W RMS and it was great fun!

funrider
December 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM
go for those with THX label, they are the best.

oldos2er
December 27th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I have a set of Altec Lansing MX 5021 speakers and they are exceptional.

If you can lay your hands on Altec Lansing you won't be sorry.

I have the mx5021 speakers too. Very satisfied with them.

anemptygun
December 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM
logitech makes good speakers.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=us,en

mips
December 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM

thanks

Find a good stereo amp with auxilary inputs. Brands like NAD, Rotel, Denon, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Marantz should be fine (NAD 3020 is my favourite).

Speakers are going to be a bit harder but see if you can leave a deposit and try the speakers first if they will allow you. B&W, Infinity, Mission, Jamo, Mordaunt Short, M&K, Kef, Boston Accoustics, Monitor Audio, Dali etc should do the job just fine.

Yes, you will connect to your headphone socket on the laptop. You need a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack to 2x phono RCA jacks.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=96917&doy=27m12&C=SO&U=strat15
http://www.cheapcablesshop.com/

BradwJensen
December 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
For some of us, can you please name you highest price, and are these speakers just going to sit in a specific room all the time?

Midwest-Linux
December 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I picked up a pair of amplified speakers at Big Lots for $5.99 U.S., they work and does its job.

gn2
December 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
go for those with THX label, they are the best.

That's what I thought till I bought a set of Cambridge Soundworks 250D speakers.

Great for games and movies, but utterly useless for music unless you like thrash metal.

Linuxratty
December 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM
i agree that you can find nice stuff at thrift shops or yard sails...Nich,cushy earphones are also good to use.

blueturtl
December 27th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'll vouch for Boston Acoustics. Incredible sound for reasonable prices. Only problem is they've pretty much discontinued their computer speaker lineup so you'll have to find them used.

I am yet to hear anything (in the PC speaker realm) that could top BA in terms of natural reproduction. If you're a bass-nut you may prefer something else though, as Boston's systems don't really allow you to exaggerate the bass.

BA635 = entry 2.1 set (retailed for about $69 when new), this set is legendary for it's incredibly compact size, low price and full range sound

BA4800 = larger set with rear speakers as well (retailed originally for $300)

holdie
December 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
so I went and checked out some of the local thrift shops, and I have to say there wasn't really much to pick from...the only piece of decent equipment I found were a set of Boston Acoustic speakers that were going for 60, the rest was mostly just sony or magnavox or another generic brand...not to mention the average price for an amp that I saw was around 120 bucks!

Does this all sound normal to you guys? I don't really have a ton of money to spend and dropping upwards of a hundred on only the amplifier sounds like it may be a bit above my wallet level...any suggestions?

blueturtl
December 29th, 2007, 11:53 AM
so I went and checked out some of the local thrift shops, and I have to say there wasn't really much to pick from...the only piece of decent equipment I found were a set of Boston Acoustic speakers that were going for 60, the rest was mostly just sony or magnavox or another generic brand...not to mention the average price for an amp that I saw was around 120 bucks!

Does this all sound normal to you guys? I don't really have a ton of money to spend and dropping upwards of a hundred on only the amplifier sounds like it may be a bit above my wallet level...any suggestions?

Well when looking at used stuff you have to realize people won't easily let go of something they really like. That's why used sales ads are usually of the same crap that's on the shelf at the store: Creative, Logitech, Labtec... etc.

I wouldn't touch those with a long stick anymore, I love my BA635s so much.

If quality stuff makes it into the arena the prices are usually driven up by demand.

OffHand
December 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I got the Logitech X-230 which I am very happy with. I think the follow up is the X-240: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/232&cl=us,en

jonero
December 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
It doesn't matter the type of speaker you buy just make sure it works with your system, I NEED HELP FROM ANY INTERESTED READERS OF THIS FORUM I AM USING COMPACQ HP PRESARIO B1900 AND ABOUT A WEEK AGO THE AUDIO DEVICE STOP WORKING AND I HAVE TRYING MEANS TO DOWNLOAD AUDIO DRIVERS FROM THE INTERNET ALL EFFFORT PROOF FUTILE CAN ANY ONE BE OF HELP.

zcal
December 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Thrift shops are just luck of the draw. If nothing strikes your fancy, you're probably better off going with some new speakers. Now you should probably start looking into some of the PC speakers others have suggested on this thread. Good luck!

BradwJensen
December 29th, 2007, 06:58 PM
If you're an honest music lover, spend the extra money. get something nice!

You'll appreciate it more all together and it will most likely last you longer, too.

I got the "SS-F7000" Sony Tower Speakers for $200, they seriously sound amazing for the price i got them at..

Here they're for $150.00,
http://www.landtelectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=120238

Check out the specs on those.. The only thing is you'll need a receiver or special soundcard and cords to hook the computer up to them...

They sound great both up high and when turned down quiet. Bass is nice too along with soring highs like Steve Perry's voice from Journey and the guitar rifs. yeah.

I HIGHLY recommend these speakers to ANY music lover. No Doub't i'm gonna buy another pair sometime soon! :-)

Lostincyberspace
December 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
If you want extreme sound get the speakers custom built. Once I get enough that is what I am going to do probably a few thousand dollars for a small set up.

Kimm
December 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Philips SPA2500

Those are really good! I have the 2.1 version, but there is 5.1 version as well :)

pmgr33r
December 30th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Logitech z2300

holdie
January 4th, 2008, 11:38 PM
so I'm going to make another quick shot at picking up some used equipment, and in the event that this doesn't work I may just have to get somethin from Best Buy...

what I wanted to know is what kind of money I should expect to spend on an amplifier + 2 speakers...

swoll1980
January 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
bose there not that expensive $199 US and they sound good enough to replace all the audio in you house maybe even improve it depending on what your using for your home stereo it comes with two speakers and a sub that makes beter base than my 10 in. floor speakers

Pethegreat
January 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM
what I wanted to know is what kind of money I should expect to spend on an amplifier + 2 speakers...
I have spent as little as $10, on a set that works fine. I got the system at a yard sale. I new set will run you at least $100(separate) speakers and amp).

You can find Technics speakers and amp easily. I have 2 pairs of speakers, and an amp from them, The stuff was made in the late 80's early 90's so it should work and not cost a lot.

If you want extreme sound get the speakers custom built. Once I get enough that is what I am going to do probably a few thousand dollars for a small set up.
Custom speakers are nice, but they don't offer a whole lot of improvement for the cost.

For consumer speakers I would pick Altec Lansing or JBL.

holdie
January 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
after searching around town for some speakers and such, I realized that I may have some laying around my house from an old computer...what I found were 4 Harmnan/Kardon computers which had hardly been used at all!...anyone heard of this company? I know they've been around for quite some time, but unless someone really doesn't think so, I may just use these for the time being...

koleoptero
January 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Harman Kardon is the company that owns JBL (really really good professional oriented speakers) or the other way around.

If you want good pc spakers and the logitech z-2300 are within your price limit then get them. I have them and they surpass anything I've ever heard so far with such a low price. If you want something that's really better then you must get a seperate amplifier-speaker set which will cost you a fair deal more. Paying $50 more, won't give you better sound.

mips
January 11th, 2008, 12:19 AM
To the last two posts, Harmon Kardon & Logitech PC speakers sound like rubbish. I have owned both brands. Harmon Kardons home/stereo stuff is good but they are no speaker comapany sorry to say.

koleoptero
January 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
To the last two posts, Harmon Kardon & Logitech PC speakers sound like rubbish. I have owned both brands. Harmon Kardons home/stereo stuff is good but they are no speaker comapany sorry to say.

The logitech speakers I have sound far from rubbish. The z-2300 are a far better setup that the lower-end models that do indeed sound like rubbish.