PDA

View Full Version : Best distro for computer without internet

schauerlich
December 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
So, I took a decent older computer off my girlfriend's mom's hands. It's only a few years old, and has a 2,40ghz processor, but it only had 120mb of RAM. I tried Xubuntu and DSL, but neither was really what I wanted. Luckily, I got 1gb of RAM for Christmas, so I plan to replace Xubuntu with something else. The only problem is, I don't have a wireless card in it, and it's not close enough to a wired connection to practically keep it connected. I plan on using it mostly to fiddle around and learn a little bit about Linux. I'd like to use something similar to Ubuntu so that I can use what I learn on my laptop, but Ubuntu relies pretty heavily on constant updates. I've heard alot about Mint, but I don't know if it's the same as Ubuntu with updates. Any recommendations?

terminal
December 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
You should get a big fat distro like fedora or get full cd set for debian so you can have all the packages u want on cd . I will prefer debian over fedora and ubuntu is very very similar to debian .

Lord DarkPat
December 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think Linux Mint XFCE is gonna be great!
2.40 GHZ with only 120 mb ram? Fancy that

schauerlich
December 25th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Will Mint have everything I'd want probably want preinstalled?

Kingsley
December 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Will Mint have everything I'd want probably want preinstalled?
What do you want preinstalled?

schauerlich
December 25th, 2007, 11:16 PM
What do you want preinstalled?

I suppose mine was a dumb question. I don't really have anything I need specifically, I just don't want a distro like Ubuntu where applications constantly get updates that would require connecting to the internet more than once a month.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1392&zenid=bdtg18oc903ftrtmq4vh0q0rs2

Ubuntu with the repositories on disk, it cost a little, but if you live in the US, it should be worth it.

terminal
December 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM
What ubuntu actually get is program updates , since most open source programs gets very frequent upgrades and ubuntu just makes the upgrade easier . Same will be case with most other distros . Install ubuntu, connect it to internet once , apt-get everything u want and let it run alone :D .

schauerlich
December 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I think I'm going to turn it into a testing ground for new distros, and triple boot it with Mint, Mandriva, and whatever else I decide to put on there. Thanks for the input!