PDA

View Full Version : In search of a great MashPotato Recipe

kevdog
December 25th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Ok -- Im supposed to make the Mashed Potatoes for Christmas dinner. But I need a killer recipe. Anyone have any ideas or links??

nalmeth
December 25th, 2007, 09:16 PM
There might be a good write up in Krecipies :)

They are pretty simple though, boil the potatoes, mash 'em, add some milk and butter, and mash 'em some more to desired consistency.

steveneddy
December 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM
There might be a good write up in Krecipies :)

They are pretty simple though, boil the potatoes, mash 'em, add some milk and butter, and mash 'em some more to desired consistency.

That's pretty much it. Boil until they will smash up. Check with fork. Maybe about 20 minutes or so depending on elevation. Add salt, pepper and butter to taste.

Pretty easy.

Leave peels on for the country look and taste and peel for creamy goodness.

Beat with whisk if possible.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Some people like garlic in them, we just had a Christmas dinner on Sunday, and they were a hit. I didn't eat them, I am a vegan and don't touch butter (all animal products)

Lostincyberspace
December 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Try putting in both red and brown potatoes it makes it taste really good and creamy and gives it some nice red color. And if you are strapped for cash just use fake potatoes (potato pearls/flakes) for about half of it and people won't know the difference. also once it is done sprinkle paprika on the top in a star pattern. You can do this by cutting a piece of paper to have a star shaped hole then sprinkling fairly heavily. you could also do a bunch of small stars or what ever other shape you want and really impress people.

@LaRoza: How do you get your complete proteins? I hate beans so I could never use them for my self, though I like soy beans but they are really expensive.

Linuxratty
December 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
You can add cheese to them after they are mashed,or butter if you want..
Or,you can bake them in the over,scoop out the potato, mash it and adding milk,cheese,etc..Then take the empty skins and fill with the mashed potato..Add cheese on top,bake till the cheese melts and serve.

steveneddy
December 25th, 2007, 10:09 PM
You can add cheese to them after they are mashed,or butter if you want..
Or,you can bake them in the over,scoop out the potato, mash it and adding milk,cheese,etc..Then take the empty skins and fill with the mashed potato..Add cheese on top,bake till the cheese melts and serve.

That's not mashed potatoes. That is called twice baked potatoes. Tasty none the less.

Toffeeapple
December 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Butter, Mayonnaise and/or cream... and grated onions...

steveneddy
December 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Butter, Mayonnaise and/or cream... and grated onions...

That sounds good.

Nano Geek
December 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM
You're asking geeks to help you prepare food?!?
*Danger Alert* :)

w7kmc
December 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Roast a little garlic and add it to your mashed potatotoes. .it adds a lot of flavor.

az
December 26th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Ok -- Im supposed to make the Mashed Potatoes for Christmas dinner. But I need a killer recipe. Anyone have any ideas or links??

A simple rule when cooking for guests is to add a lot of fat and salt. Put a ton of butter (or oil) in your mashed potatoes and add a lot of salt. I mean a lot like a cup of butter for potatoes for ten people.

@LaRoza: How do you get your complete proteins? I hate beans so I could never use them for my self, though I like soy beans but they are really expensive.

Complete proteins are a myth. You would be hard pressed to eat 2000 calories of anything and not get all your amino acids. That myth was dispelled ten years ago.

Roast a little garlic and add it to your mashed potatotoes. .it adds a lot of flavor.

Garlic parmesan mashed potatoes rock. Again, a cup of butter and a cup of grated parmesan for per pot of mashed potatoes.

kevdog
December 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM
The potatoes were a hit -- you guys were right -- a lot of salt -- butter -- and roasted garlic. I threw in two other ingredients. I had about 10 potatoes and threw in two spoonfuls of sour cream, and cream cheese. The cream cheese added just a subtle different flavor. Whipped it all together and added melted cheese on top.

Mmmmmm Good.

-grubby
December 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM
The potatoes were a hit -- you guys were right -- a lot of salt -- butter -- and roasted garlic. I threw in two other ingredients. I had about 10 potatoes and threw in two spoonfuls of sour cream, and cream cheese. The cream cheese added just a subtle different flavor. Whipped it all together and added melted cheese on top.

Mmmmmm Good.

I want some!

az
December 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Mmmmmm Good.

That's great!

My all-time favorite starch is egg-bread, though:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=116223&postcount=27

BLTicklemonster
December 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM
We always leave the skin on the taters. They add a nice texture to the mix. Also we use mayo, sour cream, and a tad of miilk, garlic, and if it pleases the court, smother it with shredded cheddar cheese, and bake just enough to melt the cheese (or microwave it).

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM
We always leave the skin on the taters. They add a nice texture to the mix. Also we use mayo, sour cream, and a tad of miilk, garlic, and if it pleases the court, smother it with shredded cheddar cheese, and bake just enough to melt the cheese (or microwave it).

I like them with skins on, but with no butter or anything, so I have to grab them before they are finished.