PDA

View Full Version : In search of a book on the history of certain religions.

RudolfMDLT
December 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Helo!

It's Christmas time and it's that time of the year you see friends and family that you only see once a year! :)

I have been talking with a guy, he really reads a lot. I'm looking for a book that he mentioned, that discusses the origins and history of Christianity, Judaism and I think Islam. He said the the title was "Battle for the gods" and that the author is Sarah Armstrong.

I have not been able to find anything that matches that title or author.... neither have I been able to contact this bloke as they have moved and are still waiting for phone lines to be installed.

Does anyone have any books/authors that they could recommend on the subject. I'm Christian by choice but any book that is clear and thought through even if its views are completely atheistic is fine. I just want something factual and I don't care what the auther's point of view is.

Thanks for any help on the subject!

Rudolf

urukrama
December 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I think you are looking for Karen Armstrong's Battle for God (http://www.amazon.com/Battle-God-Karen-Armstrong/dp/0345391691/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198593284&sr=8-1)

Dixon Bainbridge
December 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" is very good.

sailor2001
December 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
will durant: "History of civilization" book "age of faith"

I think ALL libraries have this series

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM
The Bible?

RudolfMDLT
December 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys! :) urukrama - You where spot on, thanks! How did you find it? Have you read it before?

Dixon Bainbridge - I'll hunt that book down aswell, thanks.

The Bible?

I've read it, being Christian and all... though of late I have been having some troubles with it. :(

verb3k
December 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I would recommend the Qur'an, contains history and stories about Christians, Jews and others.

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I would recommend the Qur'an, contains history and stories about Christians, Jews and others.

The Book of Mormon is also very interesting.

The Satanic Bible is also interesting to read, although I do not find anything in it compelling, it is worth getting another's opinion.