PDA

View Full Version : Linux Freedom

Ceemee
December 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Too bad they arent headed for MS Headquarters! (Would that be a fitting punishment for a monopoly?)

(If you havent guessed, I'm military, and I did a little artwork!)

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Cool, although somewhat disturbing.

Where are they headed?

What is your job in the military, besides artist?

Ceemee
December 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Cool, although somewhat disturbing.

What is your job in the military, besides artist?

Munitions Systems. I build and configure what you see, among many other things.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Munitions Systems. I build and configure what you see, among many other things.

Sounds interesting. I guess it is a little more dangerous than configuring grub, eh?

Merry Christmas, I hear it is a difficult time for some in the military.

Maybe you can convince the leaders to have it as standard artwork. Maybe a Debian swirl now and then too.

Ceemee
December 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Sounds interesting. I guess it is a little more dangerous than configuring grub, eh?

Merry Christmas, I hear it is a difficult time for some in the military.

Thanks!. And it is, although I should be home by mid January. Still, I've missed 4 months of time with both my new Wife (only married 3 months before I was deployed) as well as all other family.

Luckily no children yet, but that will change promptly when I get back.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks!. And it is, although I should be home by mid January. Still, I've missed 4 months of time with both my new Wife (only married 3 months before I was deployed) as well as all other family.

Luckily no children yet, but that will change promptly when I get back.

Good luck, I wish you the best. :)

23meg
December 26th, 2007, 02:56 AM
So much for "humanity to others"? Painting / writing on bombs has too many historical associations with direct contraries of that notion to be taken as anything other than act of fanatical symbolic violence.

I don't care what military you work for, what noble goals and concepts related to "freedom" you associate with that military, in what way you connect military power and the concept of "freedom" itself as examplified in "Linux" and so on; none of that needs to be discussed to establish that this is a huge oxymoron. And personally I find it disgusting, but I know that not everyone will.

Note that I'm not posting this because I'm taking personal offense in it; if that were the case, I'd just report your post and be done with it.

Too bad they arent headed for MS Headquarters! (Would that be a fitting punishment for a monopoly?)

It wouldn't, and as a new member you'll want to know that this kind of anti-Microsoft humor isn't very welcome here. We don't want to be painted as a bunch of fanatics that want to blindly crush all competition at any cost, much less a bunch of fanatics that would consider employing violence in doing so, even symbolically or jokingly.

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM
A guy away from home at Christmas time working in the military has to find some outlet. He works on these things for a living, and it is not like he went out to buy destructive items to decorate.

Many soldiers paint or decorate items that they can with what they care about.

Green is only so interesting.

23meg
December 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM
A guy away from home at Christmas time working in the military has to find some outlet. He works on these things for a living, and it is not like he went out to buy destructive items to decorate.

I understand that, which is why I'm speaking in general terms as much as possible.

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I understand that, which is why I'm speaking in general terms as much as possible.

Yeah. You can see my initial reaction was a little wary (I saw a lot of irony) but I was also able to see his situation. Just married, Christmas time, and (yay) working away from home assembly explosives.

dasunst3r
December 26th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I personally prefer nonviolence; but when someone strikes with a weapon, I wouldn't be afraid to unleash those puppies on the enemy and blast the stuffings outta 'em.

SolusNunquam
December 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
That's awesome lol

TeraDyne
December 26th, 2007, 04:38 AM
So much for "humanity to others"? Painting / writing on bombs has too many historical associations with direct contraries of that notion to be taken as anything other than act of fanatical symbolic violence.

I don't care what military you work for, what noble goals and concepts related to "freedom" you associate with that military, in what way you connect military power and the concept of "freedom" itself as examplified in "Linux" and so on; none of that needs to be discussed to establish that this is a huge oxymoron. And personally I find it disgusting, but I know that not everyone will.

Note that I'm not posting this because I'm taking personal offense in it; if that were the case, I'd just report your post and be done with it.

Wow, that's just beyond harsh. A guy tries to have some fun, and he gets dissed. I would have seen this and said "From: Humanity, To: The Borg". See, now it's funny to some degree.

Seriously, anything object that can be evil has just as much chance of being good. It's all dependent on how it's used, and who uses it. For all we know, that bomb coud be filled with the ability to drop packages with Ubuntu CDs, or money for the poor.

I don't like violence, but there is no violence in a bomb until it is used for that task.

It wouldn't, and as a new member you'll want to know that this kind of anti-Microsoft humor isn't very welcome here. We don't want to be painted as a bunch of fanatics that want to blindly crush all competition at any cost, much less a bunch of fanatics that would consider employing violence in doing so, even symbolically or jokingly.

I've seen plenty to contradict that "not be painted as a bunch of fanatics" part. (See also: Launchpad Bug #1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1))

23meg
December 26th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Wow, that's just beyond harsh. A guy tries to have some fun, and he gets dissed.

The guy doesn't get dissed (at least that's not my intention); the act gets criticized, due to its cultural connotations.

Seriously, anything object that can be evil has just as much chance of being good. It's all dependent on how it's used, and who uses it. For all we know, that bomb coud be filled with the ability to drop packages with Ubuntu CDs, or money for the poor.

True, but it usually isn't; that's naive thinking. And in this context we certainly know that it isn't. We know that militaries use bombs to destroy stuff, and we know the kind of intentions / emotions painting stuff on bombs is associated with.

I've seen plenty to contradict that "not be painted as a bunch of fanatics" part. (See also: [url="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1"]Launchpad Bug #1[url])

Me too, but acts of fanaticism are usually met with a negative reaction here. And bug #1 has nothing to do with fanaticism or blindly destroying competition at any cost; it has to do with depriving Microsoft of its dominant status through the success of Ubuntu. I took care to phrase what I said correctly, but it can always be pigeonholed with other things of course.

All in all, this is pretty much an attempt at humor, but it goes against what the logo is supposed to symbolize at a fundamental level, hence the absurdity (some would call it irony). An Ubuntu logo on a bomb is a symbolic oxymoron, no matter how you paint it (sorry for the pun).

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 05:00 AM
All in all, this is pretty much an attempt at humor, but it goes against what the logo is supposed to symbolize at a fundamental level, hence the absurdity (some would call it irony). An Ubuntu logo on a bomb is a symbolic oxymoron, no matter how you paint it (sorry for the pun).

What does it mean when they paint women on weapons then? (Like all those WWII airplanes)

p_quarles
December 26th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Me: Does this thread remind you of anything?
Me: Why, yes, it does!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls

stalker145
December 26th, 2007, 05:33 AM
... this kind of anti-Microsoft humor isn't very welcome here. We don't want to be painted as a bunch of fanatics that want to blindly crush all competition at any cost, much less a bunch of fanatics that would consider employing violence in doing so, even symbolically or jokingly.

Heyyyy :( I'm a fanatic and I'm proud of it :D

(If you havent guessed, I'm military, and I did a little artwork!)

Dude, friggin' hilarious. While some dislike the irony, I love it. It's also good to know there are other ubunteros in the U.S. military (guessing U.S. from the language on the "equipment").

Casual Fan
December 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Connotations be damned, this guy is my favorite geek EVER!

GSF1200S
December 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM
While we probably wouldnt change our actions for the valuable things weve learned about the "establishment" of humanity, many of us are not military fanatics... I cant wait to get out, even though Ive learned alot, including my desire to serve in peace instead of in war...

While the original content may seem harsh, keep in mind that its not normal or healthy for a human mind to be isolated in a desert or on a sea for 6 months to 1 year. Avenues as such are how many deal with distance...

stalker145
December 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
While we probably wouldnt change our actions for the valuable things weve learned about the "establishment" of humanity, many of us are not military fanatics... I cant wait to get out, even though Ive learned alot, including my desire to serve in peace instead of in war...

While the original content may seem harsh, keep in mind that its not normal or healthy for a human mind to be isolated in a desert or on a sea for 6 months to 1 year. Avenues as such are how many deal with distance...

Very true on both counts - only those who have seen war can truly enjoy peace (my opinion, of course) and human isolation in such a barren environment really sucks!