PDA

View Full Version : why cedega need charge for using?

horry
December 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM
i am new guy. i have a confuse about cedega. the softwares should be free for using on linux, isn't it? why cedega need charge, is it conflict with the spirit of GNU?

slimdog360
December 25th, 2007, 11:35 AM
they need money to eat, they need to eat to live, they need to live in order to keep developing. Besides, I dont think $5 a month is unreasonable. Actually its very kind considering for that you get the most up to date version of the program for so long as you keep paying.

Ceemee
December 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
i am new guy. i have a confuse about cedega. the softwares should be free for using on linux, isn't it? why cedega need charge, is it conflict with the spirit of GNU?

The spirit of GNU is that software be free to use how you see fit, and modify how you wish.

Cedega isnt charging you for the software, its charging you for continual updates, support, and for the promise of continual rapid development.

Cedega is exactly the kind of buisness model that Open Source Software supports and promotes. Verses a Microsoft style buisness model - ie: Sell the software once, only patch security issues, and make the user purchase a large upgraded software next time for up-to-date features.

Yes your still paying for the most up-to-date features, however if MS went out of buisness tomorrow no one could pick up where they left off and keep supporting the software - anyone could pick up where Cedega leaves off.

bonzodog
December 25th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Cedega also charges for the licensing of the small bit of proprietary software they include with it, which unlocks the SafeDisc protection used by a few games. They had to pay the makers of SafeDisc a small fortune for the licence.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Cedega also promises far more than it delivers. If you want to play windows games, dual boot and keep XP.