PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Konqueror instead of Dolphin?

Lord DarkPat
December 25th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I do, I like it better. I think dolphin was a waste to put forth.

cdiem
December 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well, since Dolphin has some problems with the "kdesu" in Kubuntu 7.10, I use Konqueror; it's very fast application, a very full featured one (actually, they both are).

TidusBlade
December 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I like Dolphin more actually, theyre both good, but Dolphin seems to run faster for me and I haven't had problems with it...

Arathorn
December 25th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I prefer Konqueror. Dolphin for KDE 4 is quite nice, but the KDE 3 version is horrible. In the new Dolphin I still miss the tree view from Konqueror though.

GeneralZod
December 25th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I'll probably be using Konqueror for the forseeable future. Dolphin is nice (and a far better default file manager), but doesn't really meet my needs.

What I'd really like to see is a dedicated Web Browser for KDE, as I feel that Konqueror is a much better file manager than web browser. I'm very surprised that no one has done this yet.

HotShotDJ
December 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
One should realize that the version of Dolphin that can be used in KDE 3.5 should be thought of as a "technical preview" that is feature incomplete. It really isn't fair to draw too many conclusions yet.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Since the thread didn't restrict the choices to KDE users, I prefer Thunar and Dolphin. I like Konqueror and think it is quite impressive, but rarely use it.

Lord DarkPat
December 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Although I like Dolph, Konq is better for me. Never tried Thunar. Might do so.

Jucato
December 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I still use Konqueror on KDE 3.5, but usually use Dolphin on KDE 4 (for some technical reasons).

The Dolphin in KDE 3.5, at least the one used in Kubuntu, is not the real Dolphin. It is actually D3lphin, a "fork" of Dolphin after the main developer(s) decided not to continue developing it on KDE 3 and focus on the KDE 4 version. D3lphin is in absolutely no way representative of what Dolphin really is. A lot of changes, fixes, and improvements have been made that sets it far apart from the real Dolphin.

@Arathorn: Dolphin (KDE 4) has a tree view side panel if that's what you meant. View -> Panels -> Folders.

EdThaSlayer
December 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I prefer to use Dolphin since I like the way it is set-up. It is also faster out of the box. I did use to have frequent dolphin crashes but they stopped once I updated my brand new Kubuntu system.

miggols99
December 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I do not use the KDE3 dolphin but I use the KDE4 dolphin, which is extremely nice. The nice thing is that the KDE devs aren't forgetting about Konqueror and putting Dolphin inside Konqueror (I'm not sure what it's called though).

samwyse
December 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
D3lphin is very slow when moving many files, because it refreshes the view after every file, also the preview thing makes changing folders slow and then without it it's not very usable. The tooltip preview in Konqueror is a much better feature. Also it lacks a tree view and the split view is buggy and D3plhin crashes often.

So yeah, I use Konqueror.

fuscia
December 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
i like dolphin and have high hopes for it being the kde equivalent to thunar, my favorite file manager.

samwyse
December 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if D3plhin is going anywhere, it was too optimistic to make it the default filemanager in Kubuntu. The few developers Kubuntu has should focus on other issues and not add more untested software to maintain. Not that I know much about development.

Also, D3plhin has been without a maintainer for a month.
https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin?action=recall&rev=31
https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin

nalmeth
December 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
For fast systems (and even some not-so-fast-ones), I don't think anything beats Konqueror.

-grubby
December 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM
well I voted other. I use dolphin,konqueror,thunar, and nautilus

Arathorn
December 26th, 2007, 12:02 AM
@Arathorn: Dolphin (KDE 4) has a tree view side panel if that's what you meant. View -> Panels -> Folders.
Nice! Thank you, I hadn't found that yet. It's a shame though that it doesn't list hidden folders, even if I've made them visible in the main window (Konqueror doesn't seem to be able to do that either, but I kinda hoped for Dolphin). Or do you know another setting I can't find?

yatt
December 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
When I started using KDE, I used D3lphin to get by. Eventually, I switched to Konqueror, as my web browser is perpetually open.

GSF1200S
December 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM
The biggest thing I miss with Dolphin is tabs.. While I respect the developer's decisions, I cant believe Tabs werent at least an option. Thunar is my second favorite...

Bachstelze
December 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Konqueror for ever.

tonytraductor
December 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I dig konquereor, and even use it as my FM in flux, because it has lotso useful features.
I installed xfe, which is quick and light, but lacks some of the features of konqueror.
But, I use firefox for web browsing.

happysmileman
December 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM
What I'd really like to see is a dedicated Web Browser for KDE, as I feel that Konqueror is a much better file manager than web browser. I'm very surprised that no one has done this yet.

That's what they're trying to start by making Dolphin the file manager, Konqueror will always have a file manager, at least for the foreseeable future, but it won't be developed much compared to Dolphin and the browser-ness will be developed much more than it has been up to now.

ronacc
December 30th, 2007, 05:27 AM
I think KDE should admit their mistake and bury the fish . Kongueror is one of the best features of KDE.

clueless
December 30th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'll probably be using Konqueror for the forseeable future. Dolphin is nice (and a far better default file manager), but doesn't really meet my needs.

This is exactly what I think. It's strange that all that many people (in other websites I have visited) say that Konqueror is a better web browser than file manager) and that was the reason the KDE team decided to make a new file browser and keep konqueror as a web browser.

der_joachim
December 30th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I prefer d3lphin at home, while at work I use konqueror. My file browsing demands at work are more um.. elaborate. That and I lurve the integrated fish interface. :)

bailout
December 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I think they should have split the web browsing from konq into a seperate app and then tidied up konq and made it easier to customise rather than develop dolphin. Unfortunately the simplistic MS explorer clones like nautilus seem to be more popular and the kde devs are just following MS like gnome did.

abalter
February 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I prefer to use Konqueror. I'm trying to figure out how to choose it as default file manager short of uninstalling Dolphin.

By the way, this editing pane does not obey my browser's (Firefox) font size selection. I'm on a laptop with 1440x900, and this is very small type!

der_joachim
February 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I prefer to use Konqueror. I'm trying to figure out how to choose it as default file manager short of uninstalling Dolphin.

If you use KDE 3.5, it's easy!

- Make sure that the package Kcontrol is installed. It is the KDE configuration panel and it is more complete than Kubuntu's default system settings application. Just install it using your favourite package manager. I never found this option in System settings.
- Click KDE Components >> File associations
- Select inode >> directory.
- Click Konqueror in the application preference order and move it to the top of the list.
- Click 'Apply'. You should be set.

TeaSwigger
February 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
All they had to do was to offer separate bookmarks for web and file manager profiles, and Konqueror would have been perfectly suited to both tasks.

So I'm astonished Dolphin ever came into it. I'm waiting to try Dolphin when KDE 4 is default in Kubuntu, but it does seem to be a waste of development better spent on Konqueror.

Likewise if a separate browser be desired, I'd suggest what's needed is a "mid weight" browser - standards compliant, but not gecko and doesn't try to do it all so remains faster than the biggies - since there isn't one.

It isn't a question of Dolphin, which I'm sure is groovy, just of the need for it in KDE.

P.S., I respectfully disagree about following MS. I don't see how either approach is based on MS or follows them, but if one were to argue resemblance, I'd suggest the Konq approach was more like it, since Internet / Explorer always felt "joined at the hip" to me.

DoktorSeven
February 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I generally use bash for a file manager :)

But if I really want to use a GUI, XFE rules.