PDA

View Full Version : Either Power Supply or MotherBoard

Black Mage
December 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM
So for X-mas is got a new computer...to build. Everything is connected but nothing turns on. Whats the test for seeing if my power supply is dead?

Lostincyberspace
December 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Does the fan blow on it? Also is the switch on the back set to 0?

hardyn
December 25th, 2007, 12:50 AM
push the power cable into the power-supply HARD! and yes, make sure the switch on the PS is turned on! make sure 110/220-240 is correct!

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 12:54 AM
So for X-mas is got a new computer...to build. Everything is connected but nothing turns on. Whats the test for seeing if my power supply is dead?

Try a known good one.

Or use a multimeter.

The Noble
December 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Lick it.

Black Mage
December 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thnx guys. I rebuilt the computer from scrap and it worked. But it doesn't always turn on, only when it feels like it. I'm guessing there might not be enough power in the surge protector for a 500w computer.

Btw, Merry X-mas

hardyn
December 26th, 2007, 01:32 AM
from scrap eh?

is the power supply old? 500w should be more than enough for just about anything, if it does not want to start i would say is more than likely something with the power switch its self. if that proves to be relyable, it is likely the motherboard, or the power supply.

can you borrow a power supply, or find another from scrap?

Black Mage
December 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Lol, from scrap I mean I took the whole entire thing apart and started over again.

The problem is wierd because whenever I move the whole computer, at first it won't start up. But after it actually starts up the first time after being moved, I can shutdown and reboot as many times as I want and it works fine, no problems.

So I can't pinpoint the problem.

gn2
December 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Could just be a faulty power switch, or loose power switch connection wire.

Or time for a new CMOS battery.

If the PC works at all, it's probably not the PSU.

Typically when PSU's fail nothing works.

djsroknrol
December 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM
This may seem stupid, but I had the exact same thing happen to me some time ago and I found that the plug wasn't seated all the way in on the PS...it's worth a look...