PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's website is the best

forrestcupp
December 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I was looking around at various distribution's websites and I came to the conclusion that most of them absolutely suck. Most of these websites don't even consider the prospective user that wants to find out what their distro is like. It's all a bunch of information that is good for the developers, but meaningless garbage to an end-user who wants to find out about their distro.

I checked out the websites for OpenSUSE, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, and Sabayon Linux, and couldn't easily find any useful information that explained what those distros are like. On the websites for Gentoo, Debian, and Linux Mint, I was able to find out information about them, but it wasn't easy, and their websites sucked like they were created in 1995.

Ubuntu's website on the other hand is professional looking and any info you want about it is extremely easy to find.

I'm not bashing any of these distributions, just their websites. If they want to cater to new users, they need to learn how to sell their product better.

billgoldberg
December 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I couldn't agree more. The whole ubuntu website/forum is very professional.

The pclinuxos and linux mint website are pathetic.

Lostincyberspace
December 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Ubuntu is good, Mandrivia is pretty good too.

Giradman
December 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Quite new to Ubuntu 7.10, and am enjoying this website considerably - my only problem is that it is TOO ACTIVE! :KS

Always feel that I'm 'missing something' - I sign-in and go through 250 or so posts, and realize that only the last 2 hrs are covered! :(

Need some 'guidelines' for NEWBIES on how to best utilize the forum and not miss some valuable advice, recommendations, etc. - any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks - :)

new2*buntu
December 25th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I love Linux Mint, but I agree their web site is poor. It still has the Celena screenshots up!

LaRoza
Quite new to Ubuntu 7.10, and am enjoying this website considerably - my only problem is that it is TOO ACTIVE! :KS

Always feel that I'm 'missing something' - I sign-in and go through 250 or so posts, and realize that only the last 2 hrs are covered! :(

Need some 'guidelines' for NEWBIES on how to best utilize the forum and not miss some valuable advice, recommendations, etc. - any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks - :)

Read the Ubuntu wiki and psychocats.net

They usually cover the most common problems and questions.

adam.tropics
...Guidelines' for NEWBIES on how to best utilize the forum and not miss some valuable advice, recommendations, etc. - any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks - :)

Try the rss feeds (http://ubuntuforums.org/cv_rss_feeds.php)...keep you up to date! Plus thread subscriptions.

wersdaluv
December 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I like opensuse.org :)

Midwest-Linux
December 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I spend way too much time here :) But seriously, who needs a Linux/Ubuntu how to book, when we have the best source right here...up to date...very timely...super informative...

forrestcupp
December 25th, 2007, 02:06 AM

Well, the forums are great, but I'm talking about Ubuntu's official website (http://www.ubuntu.com). My point is that most distros don't sell their product very well because they don't do a very good job creating a website.

cookieforyou
December 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I feel sorry for the people hosting this site...the data throughput per month must be staggering ;)

new2*buntu
December 25th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I feel sorry for the people hosting this site...the data throughput per month must be staggering ;)

I agree. And Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays to those that do not celebrate Christmas) to everyone!