PDA

View Full Version : Drop your opinions (IE Vs Firefox)

jack83
December 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hey guys,
I am new in net surfing. I am using IE (version 6.0). I want to know your opinions about IE and Firefox. Which one you like to prefer to use? Please feel free to give a frank and independent opinion.

~LoKe
December 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Since I use Ubuntu, I prefer to use Firefox. It renders websites correctly, whereas IE doesn't.

SunnyRabbiera
December 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Firefox by a mile, as its cross platform and not limited to one operating system

SOULRiDER
December 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
IE is horrendous in every aspect. If i were you i would use anything but IE.. and im not joking.

digital_exhaust
December 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I personally prefer Firefox.... It's just more comfortable for me.

LaRoza
December 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Opera, on Linux and Windows. As a web developer, I can assure, IE6 is the worst browser of its time and shouldn't be used.

dlegend
December 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I use Firefox (for adblock + features that sites have only made for firefox). Their plugin / theme system really does it for most of us plus their overall standards are much better than IE at the moment. I heard though that IE8 has passed the acid 2 test so in the future IE will be more competitive in that regards. In terms of speed/memory usage, I find IE to be slightly better, but the latest Firefox is actually really fast so I can't be sure about that one...

scizzo
December 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Firefox in first since I don't like how IE really handles the information provided from a website. However IE has its good parts also IMO.

brad1138
December 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I would use FF exclusively but I find a Web sight every so often that needs IE or at least doesn't work with FF.

Brad

angryfirelord
December 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I usually prefer Firefox and Opera on my machine because both adhere to open standards and perform well. However, if you must use IE, you really should upgrade to IE7. IE6 is horrible and still has many vulnerabilities, IE7 is at least tolerable and renders pages a lot better than 6.

new2*buntu
December 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
In terms of speed/memory usage, I find IE to be slightly better, but the latest Firefox is actually really fast so I can't be sure about that one...

I tried out the Firefox 3 beta yesterday and it was really fast! Much faster than Firefox 2. Can't wait until it is released.

RaiD_5
December 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM
something about IE being the same browser as the file browser scares me..

p_quarles
December 25th, 2007, 10:07 PM
something about IE being the same browser as the file browser scares me..
Umm, it's not. They're both called "Explorer," but they are different programs.

Also, there isn't a single modern web browser that can't look through the filesystem.

RaiD_5
December 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Umm, it's not. They're both called "Explorer," but they are different programs.

Also, there isn't a single modern web browser that can't look through the filesystem.

I'm going to try to delete iexplorer and see what happens.

k99goran
December 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM
IE6 is falling behind feature-wise. Tabs are so integrated in the way I use web browsers today that I can't switch back.
IE7 is just barely catching up with Firefox, and with the weird user interface I just didn't see any reason to learn how to use it.

popch
December 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Now I have dropped my opinion, where do I get a new one?

IE has the disadvantage that it contains many features which are strictly platform dependent. This is very nice for Microsoft, it is very convenient for some suppliers of web based software, it is very restricting for those who are trying to manage a fleet of PCs.

Firefox is a bit on the slow side.

new2*buntu
December 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I prefer Mozilla Firebox because it runs much faster than IE. Firefox has much more features that make surfing the web more comfortable and pleasant. If you want to test that then you just open the same games sites in IE and Firefox, you will see that FireFox is much faster than IE. You may also take a review of different browsers on http://www.browsers-review.com and see for yourself as to which one is the best!

:lolflag:

vishzilla
December 27th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Firefox FTW!
Currently using FF3 b2, very impressed by it!

Spike-X
December 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM
When I built this computer nearly two years ago, the only time I used IE was to download Firefox.

I've not used IE7 at all, so I can't comment about that.

picpak
December 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM
My sister actually deleted the Internet Explorer shortcut off of the laptop. The only way we can get to IE now is to go to My Documents and type in an address, but in that time I might as well have opened Firefox.

Firefox: it's that good.

Spike-X
December 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM
My sister actually deleted the Internet Explorer shortcut off of the laptop.

I did the same with a computer I recently fixed for a guy at work. Took me four hours to get all the spyware and crap off it. I installed Firefox, and he's quite happy with it (once he got used to the tabs).

Spike-X
December 27th, 2007, 10:23 PM
The only way we can get to IE now is to go to My Documents and type in an address...

Or you can go to Start > Run then type "iexplore" (without quotes).

jken146
December 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Microsoft Internet Explorer is not standards-compliant. It is non-free. It is full of security flaws. It does not run natively on linux.

Firefox has loads of extensions, some of them excellent, but without a bit of tweaking (or Swiftfox) it can be a little on the slow side.

Epiphany is quite fast and has a really nice way with bookmarks.

Opera is good but non-free.

There are loads more browsers. Get a standards-compliant one (most of them except IE) and make life easier for web developers. People who make sites for IE only should be shot.

Praadur
December 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'm fond of Firefox myself, if one has a good compile of it suited to their processor and Fasterfox is installed then it renders pages with speeds that nothing can really begin to compare to. I also like that it's free software (doubly so in GNU IceCat's case and with anything based off of it) and that the latest builds are easily comparable with Opera when it comes to how standards-compliant it is with page rendering.

I do have to put out a sizable amount of memory for its use, but considering all of the above I think it's thouroughly worth it.

nowshining
December 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM
neither IE nor Firefox

Swiftfox :P

AndyCooll
December 28th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I use Firefox most of the time ...it's the extensions that make it so good. And at work I use IE only when I have to.

Having used Firefox for so long now and got used to its flexibility and features, IE alway seems like a step back to me. However one or two work apps don't seem to work very well with FF (the works Content Management Console for instance) so I'm forced to use it when I'm using those, but apart from that I still prefer Firefox Portable for general Windows use.

I like Epiphany too, but it lacks some of those extension features that I've come to rely on Download Statusbar, Image Zoom, the Search Box etc.

:cool:

Riffer
January 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I prefer Mozilla Firebox because it runs much faster than IE. Firefox has much more features that make surfing the web more comfortable and pleasant. If you want to test that then you just open the same games sites in IE and Firefox, you will see that FireFox is much faster than IE. You may also take a review of different browsers on http://www.browsers-review.com and see for yourself as to which one is the best!

Amazing FireFox gets 5 out of 5 stars and the rest get 3!!!! Who would of thunk (tongue firmly in cheek).

TeaSwigger
January 5th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Don't worry about features IE lacked or lacks. If you wait long enough, Microsoft will steal er lift er adopt the ideas and work of the people who created the features for Firefox without compensation nor credit to the creators and claim them as their own, as Exciting New Features for Internet Explorer to Revolutionize the Way You Use the Internet, Brought to You by the World's Leader in Software and Cutting Edge Communication, Microsoft.

Why do people keep slammin' Microsoft, y'know I just can't imagine why...

angryfirelord
January 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM
neither IE nor Firefox

Swiftfox :P
You may want to look at Swiftweasel as well: http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/ Unlike Swiftfox, the developer for Swiftweasel actually cares about open-source software. (Swiftfox binaries are proprietary, under a different license)

melopsittacus
January 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hi I prefer FF because it has more features, like tabs and feeds (though I think they've integrated them also into IE7 already...)

Once I got very upset with IE when I was developing some JavaScript and it worked perfectly under three different web browsers (FF, Safari and Opera) but failed to work under IE6.

BlueSkyNIS
January 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have been using firefox for years, both on windows and linux. Today I have tried to convert my friend from IE7 to firefox, as it has more features and cool options. ;) We installed firefox 2.0.0.11 for win, and fired it up.
His first words were: "Why is it so slow? Pictures on the page aren't shown yet...?" and I sad that IE7 caches most recently visited pages. :rolleyes:
He proposed to test IE7 and FF in browsing speed. IE 7 cache, history, cookies were deleted and using stopwatch we measured the time needed to complete loading of a page with a lot of pictures. It completed loading of the page in 39 seconds. After that we loaded the same page in firefox. I have expected to be some differences in loading time within 5-10 second. Loading of the page in firefox finally completed, it toke enormous 1 minute and 52 seconds to load, or 2.87 times slower! :( After that we have tried some more pages and the results were obvious: firefox is definitively slower compared to IE7. :sad:
Why is there so much difference in speed, that is beyond me... :confused:

P.S. English is not my native language

angryfirelord
January 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I have been using firefox for years, both on windows and linux. Today I have tried to convert my friend from IE7 to firefox, as it has more features and cool options. ;) We installed firefox 2.0.0.11 for win, and fired it up.
His first words were: "Why is it so slow? Pictures on the page aren't shown yet...?" and I sad that IE7 caches most recently visited pages. :rolleyes:
He proposed to test IE7 and FF in browsing speed. IE 7 cache, history, cookies were deleted and using stopwatch we measured the time needed to complete loading of a page with a lot of pictures. It completed loading of the page in 39 seconds. After that we loaded the same page in firefox. I have expected to be some differences in loading time within 5-10 second. Loading of the page in firefox finally completed, it toke enormous 1 minute and 52 seconds to load, or 2.87 times slower! :( After that we have tried some more pages and the results were obvious: firefox is definitively slower compared to IE7. :sad:
Why is there so much difference in speed, that is beyond me... :confused:

P.S. English is not my native language
Can you give me a link to the web page you tested?