PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Just ROCKS

bukdor
November 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Man! Ubuntu just rocks!

It's the only distro that I have that actually runs on my computer. All the others seem to have some sort of problem with it! Inculuding, and not limited to Red Hat Enterprise!

I've tried Fedora and all that other stuff, and it all seems to have problems running on my computer.

But since I've found Ubuntu, there is no turning back from it! It's got everything that I want in a desktop PC! And everything else that I install onto it, Flash, JAVA, msfonts, DivX, etc. all install without any problems what-so-ever!

Now if only there was Ubuntu for servers! :D

arctic
November 29th, 2004, 01:24 PM
you can download all you need for setting up servers via apt-get as far as i know. ;)

mr_ed
November 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Or alternatively, if you don't want X and all the desktop stuff, you can install with "custom" at the Ubuntu CD boot prompt.

jdodson
November 29th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Now if only there was Ubuntu for servers! :D

your wish has been granted:) you can use the regular ubuntu cd to install a "server". you can remove the xfree packages(if you wish) and install apache/php/mysq/postgres/ssh/sftp/ftp/samba/etc/etc/etc all via apt-get. you can also configure them all via the console. i personally have setup apache2/php/mysql/ftp/dhcpd on my desktop/server box and it works great.

remember that the line between "desktop" and "server" is blurred in gnu/linux. the only difference between the two is package selections really and firewall rules, etc.