PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth usage

trash
December 24th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I'm just curious to see how many people out there have to watch their bandwidth due to ISP limits.

For example I am on satellite, monthly fee and no bandwidth limit, BUT they do not allow the use of filesharing programs. When a client 'abuses' bandwidth they are automatically limited to the equivelent of 56k for a period of 5 hours.

I was told they monitor daytime and nighttime activity differently which is good, so far I have not had problems, so I guess i'm wstaying within limits.
Somebody I know tried using TV equipment but they were shutdown quite quickly.

Lostincyberspace
December 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I am on the utopia system in Utah and it is illegal to do that on it. I upload terabytes of data most months.

Kingsley
December 24th, 2007, 07:16 AM
No limits here. I use Comcast.

trash
December 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I am on the utopia system in Utah and it is illegal to do that on it. I upload terabytes of data most months.

Whats illegal?

Lostincyberspace
December 24th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Limiting uploads/download totals speed they can limit all they want. But 20-50 Mbits is fine for me.

-grubby
December 24th, 2007, 07:18 AM
no bandwidth limits at all.
@trash: I assume he means it's illegal to set bandwidth limits

trash
December 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Limiting uploads/download totals speed they can limit all they want. But 20-50 Mbits is fine for me.

Got ya, thats about what i limit myself at night, during the day i do 5/15 which i'm fine with since my other option is 36k dialup LOL

as0l0
December 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM
my limit is 40gb, which is fairly large and possibly even huge for Australia. After that, it's shaped down to 64k.

Polygon
December 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM
here there is no limit, but comcast will cut off your service if you upload/download too much (but the cut off limit is so extreme its really hard to do...its like GBs of files...)

Spike-X
December 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM
my limit is 40gb, which is fairly large and possibly even huge for Australia. After that, it's shaped down to 64k.

Same here. My usage is split into peak (8am-12pm) and off-peak times; 20 Gb each. I currently have only 6 Gb remaining in my peak allowance, with two weeks to go until it resets.

D-EJ915
December 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Cox cable here in virginia, it says that if you go over the limit they'll cut it off or whatever (happened to my friend when it was first installed back in 99 or 00 or whatever) but I've never had any problems.

In 143 hours I've had 18GB down 12.4GB up just on this computer, so I really download/upload a lot and have never gotten any issues.

adam.tropics
December 24th, 2007, 08:46 AM
12GB then shaped after that. Bigpond, Australia)

Kosimo
December 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Unlimited here in Barcelona (Catalonia)

I lived several times in some places where internet have some limit (Ireland, Australia...) It really s*cks guys.. How about watching videos in Youtube, listening a stream radio, download ISO's (Ubuntu Betas, Fedoras, etc etc...)

I usually spent all my traffic on the first week of use...

Anyway I don't have any limit anymore. :KS

LaRoza
December 24th, 2007, 08:53 AM
There is probably a hidden clause somewhere which allows our ISP to restrict it after a certain limit, but I would have to really try hard to reach it.

It is "unlimited" although there is no such thing in real life.

Kosimo
December 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
There is probably a hidden clause somewhere which allows our ISP to restrict it after a certain limit, but I would have to really try hard to reach it.

It is "unlimited" although there is no such thing in real life.

I can assure you that I know people (using the same ISP) that is literally using P2P programs 24/7 downloading and uploading the whole universe..... During years..

Still not paying even a single euro more than the usual rate.
By contract there is no limit at all.

trash
December 24th, 2007, 09:03 AM
It just dawned on me recently that there are no real standards in place to regulate ISP's which can really suck.... one example is pricing, I am paying over $100/mth for what i get.

My ONLY option for highspeed where I live is satellite and ONLY two companies to choose from. Really they could limit me to whatever they liked so I feel quite lucky with what i have but others may not even have it so good.

LaRoza
December 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM
It just dawned on me recently that there are no real standards in place to regulate ISP's which can really suck.... one example is pricing, I am paying over $100/mth for what i get.

My ONLY option for highspeed where I live is satellite and ONLY two companies to choose from. Really they could limit me to whatever they liked so I feel quite lucky with what i have but others may not even have it so good.

Wow. Here it is less than $30. Of course, it is a city, and the wires were already in place.

adam.tropics
December 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Wow. Here it is less than $30. Of course, it is a city, and there wires were already in place.

Jealous...I pay A$80, which is about $70 US for the 12 GB (1500/256kbps)

edit:but given that I have not so distant memories of sharing one 56k modem between multiple machines, I'm not complaining!

trash
December 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Wow. Here it is less than $30. Of course, it is a city, and there wires were already in place.

Last year I lived 25km from here in a slightly bigger city and got DSL unlimited for 50/mth. I realize there are prices for living in rural areas but a lot of the reason for those price are just because the big players won't extend their services if it will cut into their profit making:(

PreviousN
December 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I personally have cox cable internet. Overall I'm relatively happy with their speed, but sometimes their service sucks (ie: if you need someone to come in- it takes forever and they are rude, assuming that the customer is an idiot). I have unlimited usage and I have about 3mbps bandwidth for about 40 bucks a month. Its reasonable.

My parents, on the other hand, have DirecWay (they live in the country). They are REALLY UNHAPPY. First of all, its expensive as hell. Second of all, its slow because they (direcway) has too many people using a single satellite and wont send another satellite up. Thirdly, their customer service sucks so bad! My mom has called so many times that she has a special number she calls and she still has to wait like a half hour to two hours on the phone in hold sometimes. She used to have to wait even more.

Then, lastly, my parents have a limit on per day downloads of 300 megabytes. And since we can't forward ports for torrents we're/they aren't connectible, which means that I basically have to download over ftp or http. This SUCKS because if I want to get a linux ISO, I have to use some sort of throttling on http or use a download manager. If I go over the limit and the dl times out, the download fails and I have to start again. I once wanted to install linux on their computer and gave up because after about a week of trying to get an iso, I couldn't. I just remembered to dl and burn a cd for them. Should have used ubuntu's ship it option. Would have been faster. :-/

I'd recommend EVERYONE on these forums to stay the **** away from direcway. They are terrible. And for what my parents pay, they should get something a lot better. They pay like 120+ dollars a month or something. And they are locked into a contract because otherwise they would have had to buy an overpriced Frisbee (dish).

Also, if my parents need computer help, since they can't forward ports, I can't help them out...ever. I finally switched my parents to ubuntu because I could at least use ssh -R to make a reverse tunnel and help them out if I need to, but with the lag and latiency, it takes forever for one character to show up. And if I run top out of habit, wow...expect to reconnect the whole thing over again.

trash
December 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
for those who may be interested i got mine through these guys...
http://www.satellitecomsource.com

EdThaSlayer
December 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Unlimited here. It costs around $100 though.

RudolfMDLT
December 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
In South Africa the ADSL is limited prerry much because all the copper wire belongs to 1 supplier so all ISP's have to sing along to Telkom's tune.

ADSL here mostly has restricted bandwidth and packet prioroty: That is I can only get X gig/month for $Y/month and that certain protocols get a lower priority that others. HTTP, HTTPS are top, followed by FTP SMTP and POP - things like SIP get the lowest priority so SIP calls tend to be bad quality sometimes.

Spike-X
December 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Jealous...I pay A$80 for the 12 GB (1500/256kbps)

Mate, you are getting ripped off.

But then, it is Bigpond...

samjh
December 26th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Limited with two over-limit options: shaping or $ per Gigabyte.

bwhite82
December 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I have hughesnet (used to be called Direcway). This is the biggest scam in the market. I am limited to 200mb/day, if I go even 2kb over that, my speed is cut down to SLOWER than dialup for 24 hours (not even usable). I only have this because I have no other broadband options available to me. The only way to do large updates or download isos is to use a download manager (i use d4x) to schedule a download between 3am-6am which is hughesnet sans-limit time frame.

kronocyber
December 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I am useing comcast they are the monopaly cable provider in portland oregon usa. the only other "choice" for internet is dial up or a dsl provider. to get similar or better speeds from dsl I would have to pay many times as much plus extra for every GB. the internet service in northwest usa is junk. I have an old 100mb eathernet card that I rarely ever reached 1% of its capabilitys with my current isp they're a joke. It would cost me more than my rent to get a decent connection and the phone company charges to have a line run out the house so I use comcast.:mad:

mellowd
December 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Virgin broadband. Unlimited but I do seem to get throttled between 16:00 - 23:00 or thereabouts (I'm on 2MB and I seem to get throttled to 512kb, so not too bad)

£10 a month

slimdog360
December 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I try to use the full spectrum

Samhain13
December 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I'm on unlimited bandwidth but the speed could be better, only 400 kb/s.
Although it only costs around $20 monthly.

slimdog360
December 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Jealous...I pay A$80, which is about $70 US for the 12 GB (1500/256kbps)

edit:but given that I have not so distant memories of sharing one 56k modem between multiple machines, I'm not complaining!

I get the same speed but 8GB with TPG for $50. I hardly ever go over the 8GB.

tadcan
December 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I live in Ireland.

I pay €40 per month for 5GB Upload/Download. Except its like been back with dial up. It became slow because we busted the limit. Now the full service doesn't seem as full as it was.

For €48 per month I can get an unlimited(abuse restricted) service so I'll probably move to that when my contract ends.

trash
December 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I live in Ireland.

I pay €40 per month for 5GB Upload/Download. Except its like been back with dial up. It became slow because we busted the limit. Now the full service doesn't seem as full as it was.

For €48 per month I can get an unlimited(abuse restricted) service so I'll probably move to that when my contract ends.

Most of the time if you want to upgrade packages they ignore the contract... call em and see.

Wow, the varying numbers of the poll are worse than i thought they would be.

gfg
December 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I have unlimited up/down, and there are no loopholes in the contract so the provider can limit the bandwidth usage, as it's illegal. Also there are alot of competing companies, thus the prices are pretty low for a decent line. The telephone lines are owned by the state, so no one company can have a monopoly. Right now I pay $40 for 10mb up and down. Broadband is pretty good here in Norway, although in Sweden it's freaking amazing.

runningwithscissors
December 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm just curious to see how many people out there have to watch their bandwidth due to ISP limits.

For example I am on satellite, monthly fee and no bandwidth limit, BUT they do not allow the use of filesharing programs. When a client 'abuses' bandwidth they are automatically limited to the equivelent of 56k for a period of 5 hours.

I was told they monitor daytime and nighttime activity differently which is good, so far I have not had problems, so I guess i'm wstaying within limits.
Somebody I know tried using TV equipment but they were shutdown quite quickly.
If they have that many restrictions on how you may use your connection, then the "unlimited" tag is just false advertisement.

I don't download a lot of stuff, but I do run a few services off my box, and would never accept an internet connection with bandwidth caps.

Everywhere you look, people are bloody out to fleece you.

corstar
December 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I have an adsl 2 connection with iinet that I'm still waiting for a port for.....
But, the speed is still reasonable.
The volume usage is 120 gig a month, that's 60 peak 60 offpeak.
I pay A$120 per month.
I plan to start using their naked adsl (so no telephone carrier is required) early next year and that will knock A$30 off the price too.

The reason I have a large volume is that I havn't watched tv for months (because it sucks so bad, even more so in Oz) and i get everything streamed or downloaded off the net.

mellowd
December 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
If they have that many restrictions on how you may use your connection, then the "unlimited" tag is just false advertisement.

I don't download a lot of stuff, but I do run a few services off my box, and would never accept an internet connection with bandwidth caps.

Yet sometimes that is all there is. If this is the case it's either capped or nothing.

trash
December 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM

The only other option for highspeed here is another satellite company with worse speeds and almost double the cost of installation($1400.).

Mine is normally $899 installed. I got lucky and found a second hand modem and dish for $150... KU-band so I didn't have much choice what company to go with after that(the other is KA-band). I installed mine myself and then had a guy come and tweak it($90).

kronocyber
December 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
quick update looks like fios will be available some time year in portland oregon no word as of yet if it will be available in my neighborhood.:confused: fingers crossed. looks like halfway decent bandwidth 30/15 kinda pricey but so is adsl2 which isn't in this part of town so whatever. nice if we could see another telecom step up with some fiber and start price waring. not likely but theres always hope:)

oldb0y
December 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I have unlimited usage, and also I have fibre to my home, which means I'm getting what I'm promised:) The speed is 10Mbit up and down. It cost about $80 a month.

runningwithscissors
December 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The only other option for highspeed here is another satellite company with worse speeds and almost double the cost of installation($1400.).

Mine is normally $899 installed. I got lucky and found a second hand modem and dish for $150... KU-band so I didn't have much choice what company to go with after that(the other is KA-band). I installed mine myself and then had a guy come and tweak it($90).
I actually kept going with dialup for a few years and didn't buy the "slightly-faster-but-capped" plans. Perhaps the caps are bearable in your case, however, here they were so damn low (400MB-1GB monthly) that I knew I'd overshoot them. I was downloading more than that at dialup speeds (thanks to my shiny Gentoo install).

Anyway, those providers did worse business than they expected with their capped ******** and gradually introduced uncapped plans at reasonable speeds. I now have a 256Kbit/s up/down connection (not exactly "fast"), but it's uncapped. And for my needs it's fast enough.

argie
December 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I have unlimited internet. However the rate is 256kbps, but unlimited is unlimited. For half again the price I could get 512kbps but I don't need it.

LinuxIsInnovation
December 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Limited uploads, loads of downloads.
I get unlimited download at 2mbps..

iPower
December 29th, 2007, 06:54 PM
10Mbit/10Mbit $25/month unlimited and without ISP firewall

bigyoy
December 29th, 2007, 08:23 PM
well it should be unlimited, once BT get around to installing my new phone line!

I've just moved into a new flat so am feeling pretty cut off without any internet. (Posted from my friends house!)

gn2
December 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I am with Namesco in the UK.

1gb of data is included in the basic plan and additional data bundles can be pre-paid or you can just pay for the additional data used.

I currently pay £22.50 per month for "up to" 8mbps download speed (and achieve 6.5) with 26gb of data allowance per month.

It's not the best deal in the UK, but I'm limited because of the lack of LLU in my exchange.
(Local Loop Unbundling)

NovaAesa
December 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
300MB on peak and 600MB off peak, 512kpbs/64kbps. But I get shaped very often due to having 5 computer users in my house. Normally I'm only on 512k for about 4 days out of every month, and then it gets shaped to 28.8kbps :(. And then of course the 28.8k has to be shared among the 5 computer users :(

MickePicke
December 30th, 2007, 03:14 AM
100 Mbit up and down (duplex). Unlimited bandwidth usage, it's perfectly fine to use all of my BW 24/7. I actually get to use all of it when downloading /uploading torrents.

Gotta love ISPs in Sweden :)

Costs about 40$ / month

sstusick
December 30th, 2007, 03:57 AM
My FAP is 5 GB's a month. If I go over that limit during one month, according to the TOS, Verizon will terminate my account. I don't think I have ever gone over the 5 GB limit in the past 2 years that I've had the service, and if I have, Verizon didn't do anything about it, thankfully.

But I am relocating soon, and won't have need for the evdo, so I will call up my local cable company and get hooked up with them. Screw Verizon and their FAP.

bobbocanfly
December 30th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Virgin Broadband. Speed fluctuates all the time and normally restricted at 300-500kbps down and 30-50kbps up. Sometimes speed just drops randomly to about 150/200kbps down towards the end of a month. Must be something to do with bandwidth. Basically its totally useless.

Pethegreat
December 30th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I have verizon DSL. I get 3mb(once I get a newer modem) down not sure how many up. As far as I know it is unlimited. I would love to see FIOS come to where I live. I would get 10 times the speed.

I want to see what I get when I go off to college. I assume they should have massive amounts of bandwidth.

iPower
January 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
Gotta love ISPs in Sweden :)

Me too :)

kodoku
January 1st, 2008, 02:37 AM
I want to see what I get when I go off to college. I assume they should have massive amounts of bandwidth.

Sure they do, but some colleges have limits. Mine really sucks (5gb per month, download + upload).

x0as
January 1st, 2008, 03:52 AM
60GB per month download, unlimited upload, static ip, 7424Kb/448Kb connection for £30 month

macogw
January 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM
No limits here. I use Comcast.

That'd be the *second* option. They say there's no limit. They do limit it though. They degrade packet quality in some cases or send packets that tell the other computer that you disconnected or they'll cut you off if you use a whole lot of bandwidth.

trash
January 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
We just had a storm here with winds averaging 50k but gusts much higher.. it blew my dish out of alignment so i need to get it fixed... that'll cost me at least $50 :(.... meanwhile i hit it with a stick and am connected again though my speeds are really unstable.

At first though i thought i was cut off for exceeding my limits so i called em to find out, but infact they don't cut off they just reduce speeds for 5hrs at a time... I did find out that the other satellite company will cut their users off completely for 24 hours!!!! I am so glad i am not with them lol

el_ricardo
January 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I have a 30GB limit per month during the days, and 300GB offpeak (evening and weekends), i like this because they don't take the **** with fair use policies or bandwidth shaping, and its easy to stick to as long as i set all my torrents to just go at night!

if your in the UK, my ISP is the UK free software network, they offer up to whatever your [honeline can support speed wise, and all their profits go to support opensource projects!

Lster
January 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
We get 5GB per month and 1GB for £2 after that.

Octagonal
January 15th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Yah, anyone that says Comcast is unlimited is illinformed.
I use Comcast here in CO and it's really my only option. The only other option is Qwest in my area and that is significantly slower.
I received a call from Comcast a couple months ago telling me that if I don't drastically reduce my bandwidth they will ban me from their internet service for 12 months. If you ask them what the limit is they say they don't have one only that if you exceed a certain percentage of use relative to the users in your area your account is flagged. They said I was in the top 0.1 percent of internet users in my area and my total traffic for one month was 731GB. This has happened to other users and has been reported on various websites if you want to read more just google for comcast and bandwidth hogs or something like that.

markp1989
January 15th, 2008, 02:41 AM
with aol uk, not my choice my parents, have 1mb down, unlimited,i think (i have downloaded over 30 gb my self in a month, and there are 2 other people who use the internet daily)

my phone line wont support more then 1mb :( really should get that updated

inversekinetix
January 15th, 2008, 05:36 AM
the online restriction I have is the other users' upload bandwidth. I've uploaded 1TB+ some days and can easily download triple that.

praise be to fibre.

trash
January 15th, 2008, 05:54 AM
if your in the UK, my ISP is the UK free software network, they offer up to whatever your [honeline can support speed wise, and all their profits go to support opensource projects!

Awesome!

exactopposite
January 22nd, 2008, 04:35 AM
[QUOTE=el_ricardo;4136574

if your in the UK, my ISP is the UK free software network, they offer up to whatever your [honeline can support speed wise, and all their profits go to support opensource projects![/QUOTE]

wow that sounds like a great project

intense.ego
January 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM

What exactly do you upload?

the online restriction I have is the other users' upload bandwidth. I've uploaded 1TB+ some days and can easily download triple that.

praise be to fibre.

And what do you download. I have an unlimited 24mbps connection for 18 pounds and I always like to keep it saturated but I struggle to find things to download (even torrents).

ssam
January 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
i have 45GB/month on peak, and 300GB/month off peak for £25 (GBP) from UKFSN (http://www.ukfsn.org/).

i think thats better than most 'unlimited' options in the UK.

Also they get close to 8Mb/s out of a line that tiscali said could only do 512Kb/s (and i have plently more grumbles about tiscal.)

other good things is that they have a page that lists all outages, planned and unplanned, with explanations of what happened. and they give sponsor students to work on free software with all their proffits( http://www.ukfsn.org/finance.html ).

----update

el_ricardo beat me to it.

ODF
January 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
In Québec you get screwed pretty badly.

http://www.videotron.com/services/index.jsp used to have a 10 Mbit/s unlimited but its now over.

trash
January 22nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
In Québec you get screwed pretty badly.

http://www.videotron.com/services/index.jsp used to have a 10 Mbit/s unlimited but its now over.

I was hoping that this poll would provide some good information to send to the CRTC, who I think are responsible for setting standards in broadcasting.

sandr-
January 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I live in Belgium, where there's a duopoly between two government-funded companies: Belgacom ( adsl ) and Telenet ( cable ). They both have the same types of subscriptions, all GB-limited and pay-per-MB fines. The average is 40€ for 12GB/month at 20MBps.

isecore
January 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
I've got a 100/10 connection. That's 100mbps download and 10mbps upload. I've tested it pretty heavily and the real-world speed is more like 80/20. Quite decent. I pay roughly US$50 per month for it. It's not restricted or shaped, and they encourage running your own server.

I run a server on it hosting free music (for a friend) and several domains complete with email and MySQL/PHP. Some days the upload from that machine alone is 5-10 gigabytes. On average I'd say the net usage for all the machines is 50 gigabytes per 24 hour period.

It's a very nice connection :)

Of course, if abuse complaints come in they will shut you down, but only if you've been sending out spam, malware or trying to crack other systems.

Gigamo
January 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Well, here's living in Belgium for you:

No ISP's without datalimits. Fastest one with most data traffic per month costs me 65€/month. And thats 20Mbit dl/ 512kbit upload (...), with a 35GB traffic limit.

I know.

leafhound
January 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
I am 8mb super fast with no limits

Darkhack
January 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Unlimited and I know it's real because I've known people in the area who've done non-stop uploading/downloading and nothing has ever happened. The speed is restricted (obviously) but never the amount of data a month.

Omnios
January 22nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hi voted abuse restricted
: = 60G

= limitations on terent

fatherdaly
January 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
40gb Limit here 8mbits/sec speed.

some sorta off peak system as well though.

Its hard to get descent speed here in the UK if you don't live by a cabled area (optical fibre) instead you have to use the copper phone lines.

top 17 fastest countries (http://whoareamericans.com/2007/12/05/world-broadband-internet-speeds/)

oldb0y
January 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah! Fibre to the home is definitely something for the future. Good thing I have it:D

intense.ego
January 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
40gb Limit here 8mbits/sec speed.

some sorta off peak system as well though.

Its hard to get descent speed here in the UK if you don't live by a cabled area (optical fibre) instead you have to use the copper phone lines.

top 17 fastest countries (http://whoareamericans.com/2007/12/05/world-broadband-internet-speeds/)

Or if your area is served by BE* (bethere.co.uk). They have a very decent price for a 24meg connection and there is not unlimited (I have downloaded/uploaded more than 300gb in a month and nothing happened).

inversekinetix
January 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
What exactly do you upload?

And what do you download. I have an unlimited 24mbps connection for 18 pounds and I always like to keep it saturated but I struggle to find things to download (even torrents).

romsets 8=]

I have some torrents that have share ratios of 200 + on 150GB folders

Paul820
January 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I am on BT and are limited to 5Gb a month, if i go over they charge me 30 pence a Gig for it. They don't slow my connection down which is a good thing i suppose. I could pay more money for unlimited but i hardly go over 5Gb a month and i think the extra 30p a Gig is better than paying £'s for the unlimited connection.

Darkhack
January 23rd, 2008, 04:04 AM
I am on BT and are limited to 5Gb a month, if i go over they charge me 30 pence a Gig for it. They don't slow my connection down which is a good thing i suppose. I could pay more money for unlimited but i hardly go over 5Gb a month and i think the extra 30p a Gig is better than paying £'s for the unlimited connection.

I would use that up in a week. I watch a lot of video. All legal of course; things like podcasts and YouTube videos.

Presto123
January 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Yikes, some of these prices/restrictions for the prices are crazy.

I live about 10 miles from the nearest town of 20k people (or less) and I get 3m down and 768k up and unlimited for about $40.

Windstream rules. ;)

And the funny thing is: I get better speeds and uptime on our home network than I do at work which is only 2 miles from the center of that town. It's running on a cable modem. Nothing works right up there I'm convinced.

dasunst3r
January 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
For the 100 Mbps line I am getting in my dorm (at UT Austin), it costs me about $25/mo and is capped at 4 GB/wk (or 4,000 MB/wk).

Nolander
January 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
for $50au a month i get 2GB a week ant 256kbps, and it gets capped to 64mbps. it sucks cos we cant get adsl 2+.

-nolander