PDA

View Full Version : LGP's X2 and X3?

KingBahamut
September 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Since the LinuxGamePublishing "Guess the Game" Competition is over, we know that the upcoming game will be X2 from EGOSOFT.

We contacted EGOSOFT and asked about a Linux port of the next generation of the x universe X3: Reunion. The Sequel to the award winning X²: The Threat will introduce a new 3D engine as well as a new story, new ships and a new gameplay to greatly increase the variety in the X-universe.
Currently it is not known if there will be a Linux port of the game. We can only speculate that LinuxGamePublishing will port X3 too.

We have created a petition. You can sign it here -- http://www.petitiononline.com/ego42/petition.html

External Links
http://www.egosoft.de/games/x3/info_en.php

slux
September 12th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Well I'm just wondering... who is this really pointed at? Egosoft sold the porting rights of X2 to LGP, it's not very likely that they're going to port this themselves or offer the rights of X3 to LGP for free but LGP may of course well get X3. The best way to "petition" them for it of course would be to buy X2 but I'm not so sure this is necessary...

Mishura
September 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM
My question is, is that how long will it take LGP to port X2? As far as I can tell, they *still* have some unfinished ports, like Ballistics and Disciples II. In fact, the majority of the games that they do sell, were ported elsewhere, like Runesoft (Robin Hood) or Ryan Gordon (Postal 2).

I'm just saying, LGP has a pretty slow work pace. It may be years before X2 Linux comes out, and by then, X3 would've been released. I feel sorry for anybody that preorders from them.

Of course, I'll still probably get X2-Linux. This game never interested me while it was on Windows.. but I do like the space-sim genre and Descent 3 can get kinda old.

slux
September 13th, 2005, 11:23 AM
My question is, is that how long will it take LGP to port X2? As far as I can tell, they *still* have some unfinished ports, like Ballistics and Disciples II. In fact, the majority of the games that they do sell, were ported elsewhere, like Runesoft (Robin Hood) or Ryan Gordon (Postal 2).

Work is apparently progressing well and LGP is hopeful that X2 will be released some time this year. Keep your fingers crossed...

I'm just saying, LGP has a pretty slow work pace. It may be years before X2 Linux comes out, and by then, X3 would've been released. I feel sorry for anybody that preorders from them.

Disciples 2 has apparently been a very difficult codebase to work on and Ballistics has some remaining multiplayer issues IIRC. They did release at least Soul Ride themselves. :P

I feel the pain too, LGP has been painstakingly slow with their releases lately, personally I've been waiting for Gorky 17 which looked very good when I tried the Windows demo. The reason for their slow pace is partly that they aim for full-featured releases and things like multiplayer aren't always that easy. Don't feel too sorry for people preordering though, I understand that you get in to the beta test when you preorder an LGP title. :)

fragmental
September 13th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Work is apparently progressing well and LGP is hopeful that X2 will be released some time this year. Keep your fingers crossed...

Disciples 2 has apparently been a very difficult codebase to work on and Ballistics has some remaining multiplayer issues IIRC. They did release at least Soul Ride themselves. :P

I feel the pain too, LGP has been painstakingly slow with their releases lately, personally I've been waiting for Gorky 17 which looked very good when I tried the Windows demo. The reason for their slow pace is partly that they aim for full-featured releases and things like multiplayer aren't always that easy. Don't feel too sorry for people preordering though, I understand that you get in to the beta test when you preorder an LGP title. :)
IMO, Soul Ride is not much of an accomplishment(that might have been your point). When was it released? 96? Supreme Snowboarding would have been a much better choice.

I understand the wisdom in waiting until a game is totally finished, but for some games I think they could just release it with a note saying "IOU multiplayer. We'll release a patch for free when it's finished." If they distributed through download online, it would be even less of an issue and people could get their games sooner and easier.

Mishura
September 15th, 2005, 06:24 AM
I personally like having completed ports, unlike Medal of Honor, Serious Sam, and Alien Vs. Predator (gawd, where is compiled binaries for that?!) So, I understand the problems and the timeline. It's just that its been years for some of these games. I remember hearing about Disciples 2 for Linux when I was just a meek Linux newbie, and that was almost 2 years ago.

Soul Ride isn't bad, I played the demo, and although the graphics aren't the best, it does give me my snowboarding fix. Not to mention, that its like the only "sports" game for Linux; which I'm not too big on, but snowboarding/skateboarding games are kinda fun. Sure beats the multitude of first person shooters that saturate the Linux game market. (We need more RPGs!) :)

As long as LGP doesn't go the way of the Loki, I'm cool. I just wish there was more porting houses, or better yet Inside linux development from the game devs themselves (Take a lesson from id and Epic).

Don't feel too sorry for people preordering though, I understand that you get in to the beta test when you preorder an LGP title.

Thats good at least. :)