PDA

View Full Version : Any body have games?

kool_kat_os
December 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi, has anybody made a C++ or C text game? If so can you post it's code on this thread?

samjh
December 24th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Here's a very simple game written in the past 10 minutes. I'll leave it to you to figure out how it works!

The language is C.

Save it to a file called guess.c then compile it using gcc -o guess guess.c and run it by typing ./guess

I'd also recommend trying hangman style games as well. Battleship style games can also be fun to write and can help teach you a lot about programming.

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
int choice, counter, guessed, target;

choice = 0;
counter = 1;
guessed = 0;

srand(time(NULL));
target = rand() % 10 + 1;

printf("The number guessing game!\n");
printf("Can you guess the random number between 0 and 10?\n");

while (!guessed) {
printf("Guess %d: ", counter);
scanf("%d", &choice);
if (choice < target) {
printf("Your guess is too low!\n");
} else {
if (choice > target) {
printf("Your guess is too high!\n");
} else {
guessed = 1;
printf("You got it! :)\n");
}
}
counter++;
}

return 0;
}

Majorix
December 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I was working on a Py game based on a TV show, but since the show is copyrighted I won't post the code. And it is not C/C++ as you requested.

Do you have any good ideas that could be converted to a C game?

kool_kat_os
December 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
samjh, the game you wrote, when you guess the right number the programs exit automatically.

Wybiral
December 24th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ah, the infamous number guessing game! This is probably one of the best projects for new programmers to learn the basics of loops/conditions/operators!

mike_g
December 24th, 2007, 08:12 PM
samjh, the game you wrote, when you guess the right number the programs exit automatically.

here:

while (!guessed)
This loops until guessed is not equal to zero.

here is where guessed is set to non-zero:

guessed = 1;
printf("You got it! :)\n");

If you don't see "You got it!", Thats probably because there nothing ( like a getchar()) causing a pause when the program is about to end. If you run the program from the command line you should see the string.

revanthedarth
December 24th, 2007, 08:44 PM
But text-based programming isn't like programming graphical games.

I have made a RPG with C++, if i find its source, I'll post it here. I also have made a HotDog Tycoon, but it was far too unbalanced and i didn't try to fix it. I chose the way to do more bugs, adding a rival :D But if i find its source, i'll post it too. But those games were written with so little knowledge of programming, so every work is done sooo unwisely that i might be ashamed to send it :D

samjh
December 25th, 2007, 12:30 AM

You have to run it from terminal to see the "You got it! :)" output.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Ah, the infamous number guessing game! This is probably one of the best projects for new programmers to learn the basics of loops/conditions/operators!

It isn't a number guess game in reality, the quickest way to solve it is a mental binary search and it takes any fun out of it.

mike_g
December 25th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Well tbh I don't think there was much fun in it to begin with, but its a good place to start for someone new to coding.

LaRoza
December 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Well tbh I don't think there was much fun in it to begin with, but its a good start for someone new to coding.

It is good to start with, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't.

It can lead to more fun games, as most games require some randomness.

califman831
December 25th, 2007, 01:43 AM
A linux version of Dominos and Checkers would be great