PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft OKs open-source license

rockin_goliath
December 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
I just stumbled on this article. I'm not a developer, so I don't know how much of a help it will be for the Hardy release, but it is nevertheless encouraging.

Microsoft OKs open-source license
Agrees TO SHARE DATA ON WINDOWS WITH GROUP

By Matthew Newman
Bloomberg News
Article Launched: 12/21/2007 01:40:38 AM PST

Microsoft, whose software powers about 95 percent of the world's personal computers, reached an agreement on licensing terms that will allow open-source products to connect to the Windows operating system.

Microsoft will license proprietary information on how Windows shares files and printers with the non-profit Protocol Freedom Information Foundation, which will make the data available to open-source developers working on a file and printing system called Samba.

The agreement will "allow Samba to create, use and distribute implementations of all the protocols" to allow so- called workgroup servers to connect with Windows, Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft said in a statement Thursday.

The accord furthers Microsoft's bid to resolve legal disputes worldwide that have been weighing on its shares. The company in October gave in to European Union demands to license the protocol data.

In the past, Microsoft refused to license its technology to open-source software makers. Programs such as the free operating system Linux and the Samba system are distributed under terms requiring access to the source code, or underlying operating instructions.

Samba said in a statement that the agreement involves a one-time fee of 10,000 euros ($14,350). The protocol data will be held "in confidence" by Samba. The agreement allows source code to be published "without further restrictions," Samba said.

Under a 2004 EU decision, Microsoft had to disclose information to competitors and sell a version of Windows without a built-in video and audio player.

mellowd
December 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
This could be good news. Samba could be heavily improved

bapoumba
December 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Thread moved to "Community Cafe".

ronacc
December 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
This could be good news. Samba could be heavily improved

I beg to differ this is probably an attempt by MS to inject a "poison pill" into samba, effectvely killing it . MS NEVER does anything that is not 100% in their intrest AND 100% destructive to others.

mellowd
December 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
I beg to differ this is probably an attempt by MS to inject a "poison pill" into samba, effectvely killing it . MS NEVER does anything that is not 100% in their intrest AND 100% destructive to others.

I don't think so. There are plenty of samba developers who know what they are doing. They are not handing the whole thing over to MS to code.

rickyjones
December 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM

I love how some in the open source community complain about FUD from Microsoft yet will join in and throw as much, if not more, FUD at Microsoft. I just find it very humorous.

As to the actual topic, I believe that this could definitely enhance SAMBA. Time will tell as always.

-Richard

ronacc
December 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
you of course have a right to your opinion , I have been around since befotre there was a microsoft . I have seen them actively and intentionly contribute to the demise of many projects and companies . All they have to do to cause us a world of hurt is sneak in some non GPL code. what I am saying is that when a bunch of greeks arrive with a big wooden horse look out.

DoctorMO
December 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
you of course have a right to your opinion , I have been around since befotre there was a microsoft . I have seen them actively and intentionly contribute to the demise of many projects and companies . All they have to do to cause us a world of hurt is sneak in some non GPL code. what I am saying is that when a bunch of greeks arrive with a big wooden horse look out.

The irony is that if Microsoft kill Samba they'll hurt Apple, IBM and a number of hardware manufacturers that all use samba. Oh and they'll manage to hurt Microsoft too.

Microsoft use the Samba test suit to test their internal code. The first thing that the samba team are going to do with these docs is write more tests for their test suite. And that directly benefits Microsoft's development of it's own server platform.

Dr. C
December 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
There in an excellent artilce on this at Groklaw

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071220124013919

This can best be described as the terms of defeat for Microsoft before the European Commission, and a huge win for Samba and Free software. What we have here is a non disclosure agreement for the Microsoft protocols, that allows any disclosure that may occur by the distribution of source code, with comments that are standard in the Free software industry. There is no patent license but Microsoft must identify any patents that they claim may be infringed upon by use of the protocols. The latter makes the patent search manageable for Samba.

By the way Samba went to the GPL v3 really early, ahead even of most of the GNU projects, and this agreement is indicative of the wisdom of that move.

Microsoft gets the European Commission of their back and 10,000 euros every 5 years so they do not lose out entirely either.

ronacc
December 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
they have tried to stick it to both IBM and Apple in the past, Sun also among many others , they right now are trying to torpedo ODF , I may be pranoid but in all things concerning Microsoft paranoia is the safest path. I was a long time Suse user , I jumped off that ship when Novell MS deal went down.

bonzodog
December 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
It is also in the major interests of interoperability - failure to do so is illegal under EU law as they would be classed as a monopoly. MS have realised that they have to make Linux Just Work with Windows, otherwise they could be prosecuted to a major degree in the EU, and possibly other continents. The EU fine for this is 400,000 a DAY.
It's also more a footnote to mention that they have in fact contributed to Wine and what was the Gaim project, all in the interests of getting windows protocols and applications to talk to Linux at a native level.

toupeiro
December 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
This could be a win-win for linux and Windows. There is nothing stopping windows from taking work developed by samba and using it in their own OS. By giving samba access to their source, they could turn the product of that around into the next version of thier windows OS, much improving their own SMB I/O.

Sure, I'm skeptical of the intentions here, and what will come of it, but this is still the kind of things I like to see and that need to happen.

Dr. C
December 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
they have tried to stick it to both IBM and Apple in the past, Sun also among many others , they right now are trying to torpedo ODF , I may be pranoid but in all things concerning Microsoft paranoia is the safest path. I was a long time Suse user , I jumped off that ship when Novell MS deal went down.

I agree, but in this case Microsoft really did not have much of a choice.

SunnyRabbiera
December 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Well not everyone in the company is bad though, I have met some microsoft workers here and there thanks to my old job and some of them are nice.
Its the company as a whole i dont trust, while it would be nice if they did allow other operating systems to work nicely with them and vice versa, but its like owning a pet scorpion, never know when its going to sting

ronacc
December 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
I never said anyone at microsoft was bad , even Bill himself seems likeable if a bit preachy , It is the companies way of doing buisness that I object to , IMHO unethical and often illegal , but they have deep enough pockets to even fight the US Justice Dept . to a standstill . As a US citizen my hat is off to the EU for enforcing their laws.

GSF1200S
December 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I never said anyone at microsoft was bad , even Bill himself seems likeable if a bit preachy , It is the companies way of doing buisness that I object to , IMHO unethical and often illegal , but they have deep enough pockets to even fight the US Justice Dept . to a standstill . As a US citizen my hat is off to the EU for enforcing their laws.

Another disappointed US citizen in this regaurd...

I dont want Microsoft coming anywhere near Linux- its been made OBVIOUS in the past that MS views Linux as a cancer, and as a corporate entity they will do anything to proprogate their dominance.

I dont deny MS could do wonders for Samba and Linux if they wanted to- but they dont. Being an ostrich and burying your head in religious sand could KILL linux in this situation...

smartboyathome
December 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Another disappointed US citizen in this regaurd...

I dont want Microsoft coming anywhere near Linux- its been made OBVIOUS in the past that MS views Linux as a cancer, and as a corporate entity they will do anything to proprogate their dominance.

I dont deny MS could do wonders for Samba and Linux if they wanted to- but they dont. Being an ostrich and burying your head in religious sand could KILL linux in this situation...

Microsoft doesn't think Linux is a cancer, Ballmer does. I just disreguard what Ballmer says, as he is just talking (its not harming any of us).

ronacc
December 23rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
unfortunately Mr Balmer has a huge agressive legal department at his disposal which he uses very effectvely as a sledgehammer to back up his talk, as MS has done repeatedly.That is just one of MS's unethical tactics , filing bogus lawsuits because they know they can bankrupt most companies and many governments with legal fees.

Kernel Sanders
December 23rd, 2007, 01:01 AM

That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. If it were that easy they would have destroyed Open Source long ago.

K.Mandla
December 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
I'm also a bit skeptical, although I find the Groklaw interpretation somewhat reassuring. I had watched this in the news, so it was interesting to see MS finally, begrudgingly comply.

nowshining
December 23rd, 2007, 03:24 AM
100% agree with u on that one buddy. :)