PDA

View Full Version : #ubuntu-women?

geekchic9
September 12th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Is anyone here interested in running a #ubuntu-women channel on IRC? I'd do it but I have no idea how. That is, I've created a channel on IRC at Freenode, but I have no idea how to op it or anything.

Any advice or participants would be welcome.

Morgan Landry

TravisNewman
September 12th, 2005, 05:41 AM
ooh, good idea! I'll have to dig up the info I had for setting up chat rooms, etc, tomorrow (hopefully) and set it up.

How far have you gotten in creating it? just typing /join #ubuntu-women will "create" the room. Have you gone through the registration process?

geekchic9
September 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
How far have you gotten in creating it? just typing /join #ubuntu-women will "create" the room. Have you gone through the registration process?

I've just created a room by typing /join #ubuntu-women, and I've set up a topic: "Supporting both women and men who use Ubuntu." That's about it.

Morgan

KingBahamut
September 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Ill add the channel to my list of joiners.

Thats on freenode, correct GC?

from freenode's site

freenode provides nickname and channel registration services. These should be used to avoid disagreements about nickname use and to maintain clear operational control of channels. You must register your nickname to register a channel or to be added to its access list. If you'd like to register a channel here, remember that we are a special purpose network devoted to peer-directed projects. If you're running a software project, please be sure to take a look at our licensing policy before registering your channel.

For general information on nickname or channel registration services, use "/msg nickserv help" or "/msg chanserv help". For specific information on registration, use "/msg nickserv help" or "/msg chanserv help".

geekchic9
September 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Ill add the channel to my list of joiners.

Thats on freenode, correct GC?

Yes, it is! Thanks for adding the channel.

I've registered the channel, and I am reading the information for setting it up.

Thanks again for all your help.

Morgan

KingBahamut
September 12th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Not a problem, thats what im here for.

KingBahamut
September 12th, 2005, 08:14 PM
geekchic how many are there in that group, ubuntu-women?

geekchic9
September 13th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I've sent you a private message answering that.

az
September 13th, 2005, 01:33 AM

What about joining forces with debian-women? I seem to remember that they are a pretty low-volume channel, too.

geekchic9
September 13th, 2005, 02:30 AM
What about joining forces with debian-women? I seem to remember that they are a pretty low-volume channel, too.
Uh, I don't know about that. They're very pro-Debian. Also, they're not on Freenode. They're on a new server called OFTC.net. So, those things would be a hurdle. But, I could ask, just in case.

geekchic9
September 13th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Ok, 2 things:

1) They are a very high-volume channel, and
2) they don't want to join forces.

Maybe this was a bad idea?

Morgan

az
September 13th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Maybe this was a bad idea?

Morgan

Indeed.

TravisNewman
September 13th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Debian-women, in my experience, are incredibly elitist (sorry if I'm offending anyone, I'm sure that's not the majority but a few more outspoken members).

Maybe they hate me because I'm a man.

geekchic9
September 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Debian-women, in my experience, are incredibly elitist (sorry if I'm offending anyone, I'm sure that's not the majority but a few more outspoken members).

Maybe they hate me because I'm a man.

Hmm, I've been there for about a month, and I haven't seen any examples of elitism. Could you be more specific?

Also, if you'd noticed in your time in #debian-women, you're required to put your real name in your /whois function (I'm not sure what that's really called.) But anyway, if you look at them, you'd discover that several of the people in #debian-women are men. The men and women in that group get along splendidly. So, they can't possibly hate you because you're a man. More likely, you did something that did not jive with their policies, and that's what annoyed them about you.

Morgan

KingBahamut
September 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I think the idea of Ubuntu-women has merits certainly.

There is a large discord of individuals that think that women have no input when involved with IT related issues. I find this largely not the case however. So I find the concept sound.

however in accordance with Thumbs post, I do aggreee. There are a number of people that would troll in such a channel just looking to create trouble. However if the channel is moderated properly and policed properly It could be done , and successfully. So Morgan, dont tread down your idea of doing it, I think you should do it. Ill certainly back you. My wife would most likely do the same.

bored2k
September 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I think the idea of Ubuntu-women has merits certainly.Yes.

There are a number of people that would troll in such a channel just looking to create trouble.If we are to run away from trolls we will never be able to accomplish anything. It's a proven fact, no matter how good an idea is, there will always be people that will disagree and try to dismantle the work of the few "braves" just to try and make everyone think the way they do. If anything this should encourage the channel. We're not afraid of all the trolls are there, or are we? Like I said, if we are to run away from trolls, all forums, irc channels, Katrina/Iraq/fundraisers should be closed.

Morgan, rock on.-