PDA

View Full Version : No Viruses?

kool_kat_os
December 22nd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Why doesnt linux have viruses and windows does?

sstusick
December 22nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Linux has viruses, but they are not as common because the security on Linux is superior to Windows. Windows on a default install, allows the user to run in administrator mode or the root equivalent on Linux making it much easier for spyware and virii to take over the system. Linux by default prompts you to enter the root password before you install any programs, thus allowing the user to have more control over the system. Unlike Windows where any program can install without the users' consent. Not to mention, MORE computer users use Windows than Linux, thus making Windows the prime target for virii.

piege
December 22nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Actually I beleive both linux and windows has viruses but linux as significantly less viruses and I think it's also 'safer'. Anyone got some more facts about linux security to chew on ?

Whiffle
December 22nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
Linux does have viruses.

They're just rare, and only are a problem if you're running the exact version of about 20 different pieces of software...Not to mention they're rare in the wild.

But, anyway. Windows viruses are much easier to write, as far as making them effective. Most people run with administrator rights on windows, so anything that the user downloads can affect any file on the system.

On linux, normal users only have rights to change the files in their home directory, so any malicious programs can only damage their home directory, not the whole system. This makes it much more secure from viruses.

Some people say its because there are fewer linux computers (and more windows computers) out there, which I wholly disagree with. There are millions of linux boxes out there, running very important stuff, and they havn't had virus issues. I don't think its because of a lack of effort on the part of virus writers.

LaRoza
December 22nd, 2007, 04:18 AM
Use google to find discussions and articles, this topic has been brought up many times.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

-NOTE The Linux distro called "Lindows" is now called Linspire.

Mud.Knee.Havoc
December 22nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Installing wine gives the common linux user access to the hundreds of thousands of viruses that Windows users have been enjoying! ;)

(seriously, I would be careful trying to run a Windows virus under wine... it could still mess up your home directory)

Sef
December 22nd, 2007, 04:54 AM
Moved to reocurring discussions.

sstusick
December 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Installing wine gives the common linux user access to the hundreds of thousands of viruses that Windows users have been enjoying! ;):lolflag:

LaRoza
December 22nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Installing wine gives the common linux user access to the hundreds of thousands of viruses that Windows users have been enjoying! ;)

(seriously, I would be careful trying to run a Windows virus under wine... it could still mess up your home directory)

Most viruses should mess up the registry and alter system files, so they have little impact in Wine, although you are 100% correct about the home directory getting borked.

PmDematagoda
December 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Most viruses should mess up the registry and alter system files, so they have little impact in Wine, although you are 100% correct about the home directory getting borked.

You can't really say the Home directory, the Windows directory would be more accurate since the viruses would mostly focus on the system files and those in the C drive.

vishzilla
December 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM
My friend has an encrypted folder of Windows viruses. He studies the code and their behavior.

LaRoza
December 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
My friend has an encrypted folder of Windows viruses. He studies the code and their behavior.

I have the code also for several, they are quite simple in most cases, and rely on Windows flaws.

bufsabre666
December 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
I have the code also for several, they are quite simple in most cases, and rely on Windows flaws.

i have this too, i usually just refer to it as my sisters computer

rune0077
December 23rd, 2007, 04:10 AM

Used to be a time when people just bought an aquarium :)

LaRoza
December 23rd, 2007, 04:27 AM

It was mainly for learning exactly what they did. It is simple, they usually rely on Window's default admin account, and file extension associations and the fact that the registery is so fragile.

Throw in a little social engineering, and all one has to do is double click.

mdsmedia
December 24th, 2007, 07:20 AM

ROFL, I love it.

Thanks for the link to The Register article. A few years old but it still tells the story.