PDA

View Full Version : The answer to all your troubles is...

Vadi
December 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
For your entertainment, our new scapegoat:

"My Mozilla crashed, I think it's because of Compiz." (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mozilla-thunderbird/+bug/105171))

"My Firefox, evolution-alarm-notify, gtk-window-decorator, gnash, all crash because of this bug." "It's because of Compiz. It still has weird issues. "But it happens without it too..." (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/122858))

"I try to open Amarok/Open Arena, but it forces me to log out." "Did you try disabling compiz?" (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/147960))

"My evolution segfaults. I suspect Compiz is to blame." (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/161071))

"When I type in a page number in Evince, it jumps to the right page, but the immediately jumps back to the one I was currently viewing." "Are you using Visual Effects (compiz) ? Does it happens without them?" (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/176886))

"My computer was frozen after the screensaver... I have compiz enabled with that "restricted driver" nonsense." (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20/+bug/99271))

"Rhythmbox crashes when trying to play a file with a japanese name." "Do you have visual effects enabled?" (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/153537))

Visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ for more! :KS

LaRoza
December 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Turning off Compiz just to eliminate possible sources of weird behavior makes sense, but in my expereince, Compiz is rarely the problem.

Video playback and the "Hot Babe" app have issues with it.

hanzomon4
December 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM
Good lord, compiz is rarely the problem..... It's the app we Love to Love and Hate

Luggy
December 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM
While I suspect that problems with "Desktop Effects" very from video card to video card I have noticed issues with it, hence I don't use it.

boast
December 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
flash could not become fullscreen because of... compiz!

disabled compiz for the better.

Spike-X
December 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
I tripped and stubbed my toe the other day. Luckily, this hasn't happened again since I disabled Compiz.

Polygon
December 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
anything to do with video, graphics, 3d or 2d accelleration could be very well be because of compiz.

for example, i cant play videos with compiz enabled, it just shows a black screen

and there are a lot of reports that flash cant go full screen with compiz enabled, but it works once they disable it.

but causing evolution or other programs like that to segfault is hardly compiz's fault.

LaRoza
December 22nd, 2007, 01:47 AM
Turning off Compiz just to eliminate possible sources of weird behavior makes sense, but in my expereince, Compiz is rarely the problem.

Video playback and the "Hot Babe" app have issues with it.

See, I was right, it is mostly video display.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
I tripped and stubbed my toe the other day. Luckily, this hasn't happened again since I disabled Compiz.

After 9/11 the US government disabled Compiz and we haven't had anymore airplanes crash into buildings.

TBOL3
December 22nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
O for heaven sakes, give it up. (To the people that blame it on compiz)

I find that totem and rythembox are still after YEARS of development, WAY more buggy then compiz has EVER been. (Of course I never used compiz before it came with Ubuntu).

Whoever says compiz should be left out because it's unstable, should check out the software that comes with ubuntu by default.

Dimitriid
December 22nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Beta software on top of beta drivers is not the smartest thing to do you know, but what do I know? People like shiny effects, not working systems.

boast
December 22nd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Whoever says compiz should be left out because it's unstable, should check out the software that comes with ubuntu by default.

you should see how unhappy the compiz dev's were when ubuntu packaged compiz on default.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
you should see how unhappy the compiz dev's were when ubuntu packaged compiz on default.
Why were they unhappy? Sabayon Linux included Beryl by default a long time ago and Quinn was happy about it.

gn2
December 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
I do not have Compiz and everything works perfectly.

Which is nice.

Just what does it do that's genuinely useful, damned if I could find what that is?

Vadi
December 22nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Scale plugin. That thing rocks on it's own.

Or, you can also check out this humorous video (click (http://fusioncast.blogspot.com/2007/12/video-practical-uses-of-desktop-effects.html))

Edit: And not everybody has to like it. But it's a fact that compiz is bringing legions to linux, and is completely changing the "old" image of linux 180 degrees (yes, everything else was ready, but compiz is the "bump" that seals the deal) :)

hanzomon4
December 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Beta software on top of beta drivers is not the smartest thing to do you know, but what do I know? People like shiny effects, not working systems.

Damn right!

picpak
December 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
"My computer was frozen after the screensaver... I have compiz enabled with that "restricted driver" nonsense." (click (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20/+bug/99271))

This happens to me and I've never used Compiz.

bufsabre666
December 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM
i love compiz, i know it causes some incompadibility but im willing to deal with this, i always turn it off before gaming and thats the only real time i have such a problem, to suggest that compiz should be left out is ignorant.

now im against the recent change in direction of all recent os's which have all changed to "oooooooo shiney" from stability, the next version of ubuntu should be more stable ((reinforcing the steel house with wood)) and should also have more eye candy. i have a very good computer thats ubuntu friendly so it works very well and never has any problems, and i love it and would never want to get rid of compiz

gn2
December 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
to suggest that compiz should be left out is ignorant.

Not very open minded of you.

I believe that it should not be included in Xubuntu but included in Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

I feel a poll coming on.

hanzomon4
December 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
i love compiz, i know it causes some incompadibility but im willing to deal with this, i always turn it off before gaming and thats the only real time i have such a problem, to suggest that compiz should be left out is ignorant.

now im against the recent change in direction of all recent os's which have all changed to "oooooooo shiney" from stability, the next version of ubuntu should be more stable ((reinforcing the steel house with wood)) and should also have more eye candy. i have a very good computer thats ubuntu friendly so it works very well and never has any problems, and i love it and would never want to get rid of compiz

What makes you think distros are focusing more on "ooooooooo shiny" over stability? With every new release things get better for me. New things like codec buddy, restricted drivers manager, the redesigned appearance configuration are very noticeable improvements. I no longer expect my apps to just crash and disappear because it rarely happens anymore. I'm also sure that many things I can't see have been improved(the move to app armor by default comes to mind). I think your sentiment only exist because compiz is so "up front" to the user. But really the only reason compiz is being integrated more is because of improvements to X, things like the restricted drivers manager and compiz. Compiz now has a solid plan for future development and it's stable for hardware that supports it. Now is the time to start getting it out to the people; the people that want the latest tech they can reasonably use on machines they depend on. It's also worth noting that things that make compiz better(restricted drivers manager, X improvements) improves many other ares of our desktops.

bigbrovar
December 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I love compiz very much .. but ever since i got a lappy that uses Nvidia geforce 8400 GT i have been have a lot of problems runing compiz most times my screen would just freeze with forcefully shuting down being the only solution.. this makes me a laughing stock among my window friends.. although i cant blame it on compiz rather this is a clear issue bad driver never the less it has made my system very very unstable .. the painfull thing is that am heavily compiz dependent cus i run programs like AWN,cairo clock, and screenlet all of which wont work well if am not running compiz

Znort_Ubern00b
December 24th, 2007, 11:21 AM
My wife refuses to sleep with me, shall i uninstall compiz??? :lol:

gn2
December 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
My wife refuses to sleep with me, shall i uninstall compiz??? :lol:

That would depend on whether you want to stop sleeping with your younger, sexier and more vivacious mistress?

toupeiro
December 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
For your entertainment, our new scapegoat:

-- ensued flogging

I hate goats....

Znort_Ubern00b
December 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
That would depend on whether you want to stop sleeping with your younger, sexier and more vivacious mistress?

well it is xmas time and i wish to over indulge...:lol:

bufsabre666
December 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM
What makes you think distros are focusing more on "ooooooooo shiny" over stability? With every new release things get better for me. New things like codec buddy, restricted drivers manager, the redesigned appearance configuration are very noticeable improvements. I no longer expect my apps to just crash and disappear because it rarely happens anymore. I'm also sure that many things I can't see have been improved(the move to app armor by default comes to mind). I think your sentiment only exist because compiz is so "up front" to the user. But really the only reason compiz is being integrated more is because of improvements to X, things like the restricted drivers manager and compiz. Compiz now has a solid plan for future development and it's stable for hardware that supports it. Now is the time to start getting it out to the people; the people that want the latest tech they can reasonably use on machines they depend on. It's also worth noting that things that make compiz better(restricted drivers manager, X improvements) improves many other ares of our desktops.

have you seen leopard or vista?