PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Getdeb?

JurB
December 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
20 days without new packages.
Does anyone know what's going on?:confused:

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM
Christmas.

Or perhaps they realised the questionable quality of their packages.

Vadi
December 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, holidays.

bruce89: got a better solution?

TBOL3
December 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM

Umm, they all died of sudden and unexpected hart attacks.

undine
December 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah, holidays.

CNR.

Haha, I made a funny.

Vadi
December 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, there's a good one! Too bad most of the downloads are in repositories already.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
*cough*My PPA*cough*

FuturePilot
December 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
*cough*My PPA*cough*

Ooh! You have Gimp 2.4.2 :D

smartboyathome
December 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
Awesome! I was thinking of doing a local repo from my comp for GIMP 2.4.2, but I will use your PPA instead (right after I am done with my mockup, that is :P).

macogw
December 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Christmas.

Or perhaps they realised the questionable quality of their packages.

Like the Pidgin 2.1 that with certain plugins enabled would eat 700MB of RAM?

S3Indiana
December 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
CNR.CNR.com (http://www.cnr.com/index.seam) has updated packages available (including Adobe Reader (http://www.cnr.com/product/productOverview.seam?productId=18106) 8.0 for Linux)...

Vadi
December 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Dunno, I only have 512 ram, and Pidgin never ate more than 20mb (that was when I had 6 conversations open for several days, so they were quite long).

JurB
December 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
*cough*My PPA*cough*
Didn't know about PPA's, but it sure seems like a interesting concept.
This is a relatively new thing, right?

Mateo
January 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
it appears to be totally dead to me.

Vadi
January 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
It's only 1st of jan. I'll give them a week or so.

However, if you look on their launchpad.net page, quite a bit of packages were prepared during this period.

MaX
January 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well getdeb seems dead.

I tried to get an account like a month ago but the supposedly automatic mail never arrived so I could confirm my account.

No one answered my question about it either...
To bad, it was a nice way of getting new stuff since backports doesn't seem to work in anyway at all as good as it used to.

Matt Yun
January 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Looks like getdeb.net is back up: new packages posted as of Jan 1 and 2, 2008.

picpak
January 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think this comment says it all:

When i try to install it with gdebi it says that the dependecy is not satisfiable: libawn0

The last time I checked, their package of avant-window-navigator had hardly any applets. Getdeb is a great service, but the quality of their packages leaves something to be desired.

Vadi
January 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Better than nothing, or worse yet, letting your system wide-open to security holes (see, cnr.com).

S3Indiana
January 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Better than nothing, or worse yet, letting your system wide-open to security holes (see, cnr.com).Huh... There are packages available at CNR.com (http://www.cnr.com) not available in the native OS repositories, but it's a mirror of the default repositories (are you implying the default repositories are suspect???)...

Vadi
January 2nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
No, I'm implying that the software I have to install in order to get stuff from cnr has security problems.

(Why couldn't they just use .packages, but instead had to come up with yet another format?)

angryfirelord
January 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Simple, compile from source. Yes, it's a scary though, but trust me, it's not that bad.

S3Indiana
January 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
No, I'm implying that the software I have to install in order to get stuff from cnr has security problems.

(Why couldn't they just use .packages, but instead had to come up with yet another format?)The CNR Client uses a standard .deb package (post install found /var/cache/cnr/client/pool); a very small .cnr file is used to invoke the install (IOW set the proper mime type), all else is a standard Debian install...

Vadi
January 2nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Uh huh, that small .cnr one is the one to blame for security, I believe.

Why can't I have access to the .debs directly? I'm already familiar with how to install those, gdebi get those done for me easily. In fact every project that provides a .deb I can use gdebi with.

S3Indiana
January 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Uh huh, that small .cnr one is the one to blame for security, I believe.

Why can't I have access to the .debs directly? I'm already familiar with how to install those, gdebi get those done for me easily. In fact every project that provides a .deb I can use gdebi with.You can if you want, but then you're kinda not using CNR.com (http://www.cnr.com) :):

# Additional Sources
deb http://apt2.freespire.org/CNRUbuntuExtra gutsy-extra main restricted
deb-src http://apt2.freespire.org/CNRUbuntuExtra gutsy-extra main restricted
# Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports' repository.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
BTW the .cnr file does nothing unless you've given access to use the associated mime type (IOW a non-privileged user account can't use CNR); isn't that the security design in a Linux enviroment??

Vadi
January 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah I'm not. I just want the programs, whatever else Linspire,Inc. has in store for me.

getdeb.net is working after the holidays again btw.

S3Indiana
January 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah I'm not. I just want the programs, whatever else Linspire,Inc. has in store for me.What do you think will happen (installing a non-existent Linux virus)??? Thought contributing was the base of this community...

Vadi
January 4th, 2008, 04:39 PM
What do you mean, non-existent. Anyone can write a "virus". Even I can.

I dount that Linspire, Inc. is contributing to the community. They're a private company who seeks to make profit, using Ubuntu (after their own OS failed? They were founded in 2001, and Ubuntu wasn't around back then), a product of another company (but a much more open one), Canonical.

To look at the history of Linspire and security, you can just do a quick google search of "linspire security". If it's good, it'll be praised, if it's bad, it won't be. So lets see what I get:

The first result I get (http://lwn.net/Articles/128869/) confirms why Linspire is made CnR for - making more money. Then again, Linspire's founder is the same of mp3.com's, so his goals aren't really concealed.

As far as Linspire's view of computer security is concerned, not much has changed since earlier releases, and the default state is still "run as passwordless root". That said, a superuser password can be optionally entered during installation and new user accounts can be created from a configuration screen, right after the first boot. I had a lengthy email exchange about these issues with Linspire's president Kevin Carmony. He insisted that enforcement of passwords and user accounts is an annoying and inconvenient "hoop", similar to enforcing strict airport security or placing 12 extra locks on one's house. More interestingly, he also disclosed that Linspire was sponsoring work "at the file system level that will make the OS more secure than it has ever been before, and all without expecting grandma to jump through complicated hoops."

So as you see, security was terrible there. There's a reason why Windows now implemented UAC in Vista, and Linspire back then was like windows XP in regards to security.

The second result (click (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-11-29-honeypot_x.htm)) is just about firewalls. Gladly, Linspire's firewall was on, so just like the Windows machines, it wasn't affected.

Third result is from linspire.com. Skipping that. Fourth is another announcement, skip that too. Fourth is titled "Microsoft inks Linux patent deal with Linspire".

Actually the rest are just linspire annuncements, or annoucements about it. One is from linuxforums.com which wasn't too convincing either.

So, no, I'm afraid that my doubts in Linspire, Inc.'s view on security aren't settled. And since I read that cnr's installer abuses some method that it shouldn't to be root, so... I'll pass, thanks.

S3Indiana
January 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM
What do you mean, non-existent. Anyone can write a "virus". Even I can.Request a link to a Linux virus that spread in the wild (not that one has never been created, just not spread)...

I dount that Linspire, Inc. is contributing to the community. They're a private company who seeks to make profit, using Ubuntu (after their own OS failed? They were founded in 2001, and Ubuntu wasn't around back then), a product of another company (but a much more open one), Canonical.Pls. review the history you've given and you'll see contributions provided by Linspire (both code and cash), but what does that have to do with the original question???

To look at the history of Linspire and security, you can just do a quick google search of "linspire security". If it's good, it'll be praised, if it's bad, it won't be. So lets see what I get:

The first result I get (http://lwn.net/Articles/128869/) confirms why Linspire is made CnR for - making more money.

So as you see, security was terrible there. There's a reason why Windows now implemented UAC in Vista, and Linspire back then was like windows XP in regards to security.Yes in the beginning Linspire's default account ran as root (won't go into the lack of documented cases of any illicit activity due to a single Linux user account, not on a network, running as root), but as you've stated that's history (Freespire - the community version - has never run under root as default). And any responsible admin would create a non-privileged user account providing the full security designed into Linux...

The second result (click (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-11-29-honeypot_x.htm)) is just about firewalls. Gladly, Linspire's firewall was on, so just like the Windows machines, it wasn't affected.The firewall preinstalled with Linspire and Freespire has been activated by default since the initial general release (not so for all OS's released during that time), and why do you think Linspire was chosen as the standard Linux distribution for the test???

So, no, I'm afraid that my doubts in Linspire, Inc.'s view on security aren't settled. And since I read that cnr's installer abuses some method that it shouldn't to be root, so... I'll pass, thanks.Again access to installing applications in an admin level function, so any system should have non-privileged user accounts for daily use (wouldn't that be the prudent thing to do). You appear to be quick to spread the bad news...

Vadi
January 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Nono, you didn't mention spread. You said non-existent. And ones do exist. Spread and existence are different things.

And somehow, I can install applications just fine, so that does not justify the "workaround".

Kernel Sanders
January 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM
What's wrong with CNR??? :confused:

Vadi
January 5th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Just suspicions for now. Although there hasn't yet been an overview of the service that I know of, several knowledgable people looked at their code and did find flaws. The way their installer works is well by abusing something it shouldn't be too.

S3Indiana
January 5th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Just suspicions for now. Although there hasn't yet been an overview of the service that I know of, several knowledgable people looked at their code and did find flaws. The way their installer works is well by abusing something it shouldn't be too.That's inaccurate (http://community.cnr.com/message/1153#1153)...

Vadi
January 5th, 2008, 02:24 AM
... wait, CnR does not ask for password at all?

That's just greeeat. I can leave my laptop by accident, someone can come along, install some sh*t without a password. Whereas they would never be able to via apt.

Yeah, no. It's like removing root passwords entirely.

Mateo
January 5th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Simple, compile from source. Yes, it's a scary though, but trust me, it's not that bad.

well, unless you decide you don't like the software, and then you have to try and track down the 10 dependencies you had to install, to uninstall all of them. Actually, it is pretty bad. It's a nightmare, as a matter of fact.

macogw
January 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Dunno, I only have 512 ram, and Pidgin never ate more than 20mb (that was when I had 6 conversations open for several days, so they were quite long).

Oh it wasn't a matter of time or number of conversations. It would happen *immediately* as soon as Pidgin started. 700MB would go missing when Pidgin started without me starting any convos or anything. Less than 5 seconds of runtime, and it made it so I could barely get top open to see what was wrong and kill it. I don't know exactly why it happened, but all I can figure is that some combination of the plugins I had enabled with their deb did it. When I recompiled Pidgin 2.1 and kept the same plugins enabled, it was fine.

S3Indiana
January 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
... wait, CnR does not ask for password at all?

That's just greeeat. I can leave my laptop by accident, someone can come along, install some sh*t without a password. Whereas they would never be able to via apt.

Yeah, no. It's like removing root passwords entirely.For clarification only packages that are in the CNR repositories can be installed via the CNR Client (IOW you can't just point to any repository and install errant packages - running as an non-privileged user should be the standard if there's concern and CNR will not be available for that account). Also anyone that leaves their machine available in an unprotected area (especially without locking the machine) is exposing their data (truly the critical element on any device) to harmful activity...

wana10
January 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
well, unless you decide you don't like the software, and then you have to try and track down the 10 dependencies you had to install, to uninstall all of them. Actually, it is pretty bad. It's a nightmare, as a matter of fact.

at the end instead of 'sudo make install' run 'sudo checkinstall' this creates a .deb file of the program for easy removal. ;)

picpak
January 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
at the end instead of 'sudo make install' run 'sudo checkinstall' this creates a .deb file of the program for easy removal. ;)

That doesn't help for all the *-dev packages you have to install...

Vadi
January 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
For clarification only packages that are in the CNR repositories can be installed via the CNR Client (IOW you can't just point to any repository and install errant packages - running as an non-privileged user should be the standard if there's concern and CNR will not be available for that account). Also anyone that leaves their machine available in an unprotected area (especially without locking the machine) is exposing their data (truly the critical element on any device) to harmful activity...

Yes, and with CnR, that includes installing/uninstalling programs at will :KS.

(so, no, I see this "feature", one that violates the standards also, as a security flaw)

Getdeb is up anyway, so I'm off :popcorn:.

macogw
January 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM
That doesn't help for all the *-dev packages you have to install...

Well, I don't know about uninstalling, but to install all of the -dev packages you need, if you're just compiling a new version of something already in the repos or recompiling something that's in there, you can do "sudo apt-get build-dep <package>" so if you wanted to compile an updated GSynaptics because it has more features than the one in the repos, you'd do "sudo apt-get build-dep gsynaptics"

S3Indiana
January 6th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Yes, and with CnR, that includes installing/uninstalling programs at will.

(so, no, I see this "feature", one that violates the standards also, as a security flaw)What standards (link pls.)???

xArv3nx
January 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
It makes me sick how divided this community is.

Sef
January 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM
moved to reoccurring discussions.