PDA

View Full Version : How many ubuntu disks have you given out?

barbedsaber
December 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
I don't know code, I donr knwo enough about ubuntu to help much in the forums, I speak a bit of indonesian, but not enough to translate an os, so I try and give out ubuntu live cd's, I buy the blank cd's copy ubuntu onto them, and always have 2 on my person.

atomkarinca
December 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Until now, I've given out more than 20. I'm waiting for my 10 Gutsy CD's and going to do this as far as I can.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM
None in all my years.

barbedsaber
December 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM
I just feel that the best way to increase hardware and software support, is to have enough linux users so that the developers take us seriously.

new2*buntu
December 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
I have given out 1 to my uncle (version 7.04). I didn't teach him anything about it, though, or help him configure it because I rarely ever see him. But he is pretty tech "savy" so I thought that if he put his mind to it he could install and configure it. But my guess is that he won't even think about installing it.... Oh well, at least I gave it a try. But one person that I know really wants to try linux. He has heard of it before and after seeing my computer show of Compiz Fusion, he wants to try it out. He says it will make him "L337" :lolflag: So I will get Linux Mint XFCE installed for him. Maybe I can convert him..........

barbedsaber
December 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

That is a really good test to see which liux distro is right for you, I used it today to
test somone, ubuntu game up as second (after kubunutu) so I gave him ubuntu live cd (happend to have one handy)

odiseo77
December 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
I haven't given any Ubuntu CD's to my friends because they're not too smart when it comes to computers, but I've installed it for free in many of my friends PCs :)

barbedsaber
December 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM
can you imangine that, install it on somones windows pc and ;) "forget" ;) to partion the hard drive. :lolflag:

macogw
December 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Probably at least 30...I gave some to a few cousins, about 6 to people on the train, and then a whole bunch at a LoCo event

LaRoza
December 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
I get requests for them at school.

Kingsley
December 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM
None, I'm very *****rdly when it comes to using up discs. I have installed Ubuntu on 3 computers that aren't mine.

-grubby
December 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
about 3-4

CCNA_student
December 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
I have given out five Linux discs, both Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

bigbrovar
December 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
i a member of the ubuntu user group in my country .. i cant keep track of how many pple i have given ubuntu cds to.. and because of the poor internet connection in my country .. i have to make aptoncd for them so that installing packages would be easy... i get to install ubuntu for at least a guy a day.. sometimes it soo overwhelming keeping up... but its fun being able to do something for the community

t0p
December 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
I have given away the grand total of TWO cds... because most of my computer-using friends are gamers and don't want to use anything but Windows...

But I have a "conversion-rate" of 100%!! Both people that I supplied with cds have gone on to become regular Ubuntu users. And one of them is now more dedicated than me, he has scraped every last trace of Windows off his hard drive while I still have an XP partition (shame on me! :( )

And I might give another CD away this weekend. I'm off to visit a friend tomorrow, and when he stayed with me a month ago he was interested in what was running on my computer. So I'll take a CD to his house and get him to give Ubuntu a go. Wow, I'm a regular Linux evangelist!! LMAO!!

Lostincyberspace
December 22nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
I have given out a bunch most have been to people who have heard of it before.

Mateo
December 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
1, pretty sure they never used it.

Zack McCool
December 22nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
I've given out 2, both to people that had either seen my PC or my laptop, and were interested in trying it. Both installed 7.04, and after asking some questions, got it running, and fell in love with it.

I don't bother to "sell" it. If someone decides they want to try it, I'll gladly supply the disc, though. I figure once someone gives it a chance, no pitch is necessary. And if you have to sell them on it, they'll likely never bother to install it anyhow...

criskat777
December 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
I don't want to sound like i don't want people to use Ubuntu but i kind of am afraid of handing out disks i am a tech in a small town in Puerto Rico and my customers barely survive in WinBlows imagine if i give them a Ubuntu cd they will probably wipe there Win part then say that i gave them a defective cd.:lolflag: P.S they do ask for them after seen my Desktop but i just tell them to first read the forums and decide if it's for them.

lordawesome
December 22nd, 2007, 03:21 AM
I have given out about 4 CDs so far. One feisty, a couple gutsys and a ubuntu studio. I like ubuntu studio for home, but not my laptop due to several issues with networking and some of the software included. It is a great desktop solution for the artist though. I have Vista and gutsy on my laptop. I booted into vista today for the first time in a while, and I was enraged!! I use to think that vista was ok when it worked and that people shouldn't put down windows as much as they do, But with as many bugs as there are in ubuntu (almost ALL hardware related due to greedy hardware vendors not releasing code) there are truly not as many problems with it as windows has. The best part is if you go to ubuntuforums, you are almost gauranteed to find a fix to your problem. Ubuntu is one of the most supported and user-friendly operating systems available by the linux community and, in my opinion, blows away almost every OS out there. Be sure to see more distributions of linux leaving my hands in the future.

sr20ve
December 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
I keep a stack of the latest release sitting at my desk at work. About five 32 bit and five 64 bit.

I've given away about 10 or so.

sstusick
December 22nd, 2007, 04:02 AM
I've given out 1 Ubuntu CD while I was using wifi in a public place. The guy, I guess, glanced at my screen and said "You're not running Windows, are you?" and I said "No, it's Linux." He said a friend of his suggested Ubuntu to him one time but he had never got around to trying it. So I gave him a Ubuntu CD and told him to try it out. Of course, he asked a lot of questions about Ubuntu, so I answered them to the best of my ability and he was amazed at the fact that he didn't have to worry about virii anymore on Ubuntu (if he converts).

We didn't exchange any contact information, but now that I think of it, I should have given him my email so he could contact me and let me know how he made out with Ubuntu. Oh well, next time. At the time, (and even now) I felt pleased doing a good deed for the community :-D

Ptero-4
December 22nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
i a member of the ubuntu user group in my country .. i cant keep track of how many pple i have given ubuntu cds to.. and because of the poor internet connection in my country .. i have to make aptoncd for them so that installing packages would be easy... i get to install ubuntu for at least a guy a day.. sometimes it soo overwhelming keeping up... but its fun being able to do something for the community

Wow. That's a really nice day job you got there, where's the recruitment center, lol.

bigbrovar
December 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ptero-4 Re: How many ubuntu disks have you given out?
Quote:Originally Posted by bigbrovar

Wow. That's a really nice day job you got there, where's the recruitment center, lol.

lol am actually a student soo most pple i install ubuntu for are actually my school mates and occassionally pple i meet online

Lord DarkPat
December 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM
about 2. I keep getting requests at skl.

barbedsaber
January 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
because i'm bored bump

ice60
January 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
i gave one to my neighbour once, i told her how it was a livecd and she could run it without touching her MS install, and when she turned off the computer and booted up again her windows install would still be there.

about an hour later i saw her outside, and see said thanks for the CD, but gave it back to me. later on i noticed it wasn't a livecd, but a straight install :shock: (it was before most ubuntu CDs were livecds) i never asked what happened lol