PDA

View Full Version : A small project I'm starting

sean22190
December 20th, 2007, 10:25 PM
giving away is Ubuntu

Anyone else do something similar to this?

Lostincyberspace
December 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Why only Connecticut?

mister harbies
December 20th, 2007, 10:32 PM
And why a New Zealand domain?

sean22190
December 20th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Why only Connecticut?

Because I plan on doing it in person. :)

sean22190
December 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM
And why a New Zealand domain?

For sketchiness obviously.

Henry Rayker
December 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM
The Ubuntu portion of your stuff sounds almost as useless as those traveling evangelicals who stand and shout about how faggots are ruining America and that by shrugging him off and continuing on my way, my children will be born into a world much worse than the one I grew up in...

The jokes on him, though...I'm not having any kids!

I'd say a very large percentage of people who would be curious enough to try Linux are capable of finding it on their own. The only types of people who will be swayed by this type of concept are the same kinds of people who will bitch, whine, moan and basically ruin the concept of linux to anyone and everyone they talk to just because, they can't go to Wal-Mart, buy the newest copy of TurboTax, pop in the cd and work out their taxes or some other ********.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All rants aside, giving out disks with free windows software on it is a rather neat idea, and might get people to the point that they would be willing to try something like Linux. In a way, you're furthering "the cause" or whatever...but it's a little too preachy sounding as it stands...people will use what they are comfortable using...and for the majority of people who barely have enough knowledge to use the windows machines (knowledge that it has probably taken them years to amass) switching over is a burden too great to bear any fruit...

Tundro Walker
December 21st, 2007, 02:57 AM
...people who will bitch, whine, moan and basically ruin the concept of linux to anyone and everyone they talk to just because, they can't go to Wal-Mart, buy the newest copy of TurboTax, pop in the cd and work out their taxes

Odd...that's the very reason why I can't talk my dad into trying out Ubuntu. I even explained to him that he can do his taxes online now...he doesn't have to buy the stupid software. But, he insists.

Also, oddly enough, he insists on using Win98 even though my brother bought a copy of WinXP to install on his machine. He wants to stick with what works. But, ironically, the tax software will force him to upgrade sooner or later, because last year, he almost couldn't get it going under Win98. Wow...10 year old OS. That's like...like still using an Atari 2600 when you could be using an SNES...:) Well, not quite THAT bad.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 03:05 AM
Should have read the thing.