PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

mjr2k
December 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I didn't see this particular forum when it showed me "similar forums", so I apologize in advance if I'm copying someone else's.

I've only been a part of a few forums, so this is almost new to me.

I've been a Windows user for 90% of my life and since I hit college, I've gained a lot of exposure to and am still experimenting with linux.

My first exposure to Linux has been with Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon and I've also worked with PCLinuxOS (class assignment(s)).

If anyone out there has experience with VMWare and know how to make .vmdk images without paying $180 on the workstation, I'd like to know how to. My AIM is currently not up, but I suppose you could reply to this post. Thanks

Murrquan
December 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hello and welcome!

I don't know all that much about VMWare, but I think Xen's a free virtualization program. It comes with Fedora ... I don't know how you'd get it working in Ubuntu.

Good luck either way!

Lord_Dicranius
December 20th, 2007, 07:49 PM
You can use the first part of these instructions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209&highlight=vmware) to setup the VMWare server. This is what I used to setup my VMWare stuff not too long ago, and worked without any problems. These include instructions on setting up Windows XP too if that's what you're looking to setup.