PDA

View Full Version : Why Gnome instead of KDE

shallow
December 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Why did ubuntu deciede to use Gnome instead of KDE?

Inxsible
December 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Because they decided to give Kubuntu the KDE :)

Josh1
December 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM

No idea, but you can install Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu), which installs KDE Instead of GNOME. KDE is really bloated though (just my personal view).

rsambuca
December 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Because the founder, Mark Shuttleworth prefers it.

PmDematagoda
December 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Because they decided to give Kubuntu the KDE :)

:lolflag:. If you do want to make Kubuntu look like Ubuntu, then all you will have to do is change the full theme including the boot splashscreen to a Ubuntu look-alike, that should fix your problem:).

Now the problem comes when it is time to find the themes:D.

Inxsible
December 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
No idea, but you can install Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu), which installs KDE Instead of GNOME. KDE is really bloated though (just my personal view).That could start flame wars :o

just kidding !

coldswede
December 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Some of us actually prefer Gnome

psusi
December 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Because it is a simpler, cleaner interface which fits the design goals of Ubuntu better than KDE, which is more of a flashy glitzy interface for people who like lots of bells and whistles ( and flashing lights ).

philinux
December 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
If you want to try KDE the correct way see this.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

kellemes
December 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Because it is a simpler, cleaner interface which fits the design goals of Ubuntu better than KDE, which is more of a flashy glitzy interface for people who like lots of bells and whistles ( and flashing lights ).

Yeah right.. that's why most Ubuntu-users use Gnome with Compiz and other flashy crap. :popcorn:

PmDematagoda
December 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hey people, stop the flame wars. The fact is that we do not really know, so if you do really want to know, all you need to do is find out Mark Shuttleworth's e-mail address or telephone number and ask him yourself:).

hyper_ch
December 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM
could it be:

mark DOT shuttleworth AT ubuntu DOT com ?

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Why not?

If they used KDE people ask why not GNOME?

Why not Fluxbox? Enlightenment? RatPoison?

You can install and use other DE's and WM's, so the defaults aren't written in stone.

SunnyRabbiera
December 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
well from what I heard Mark Shuttleworth, our beloved leader did develop gnome apps here and there, or was donating money to gnome.
But honestly Ubuntu has one of the best gnome setups out there, I feel gnome on ubuntu to be very smooth a good percent of the time... its second only to gnome on fedora and debian in my opinion (gnome on fedora is practically perfect, the one in debian is also top notch)
But really if you dont like gnome you can get KDE on it or use kubuntu.

by the way i severely disagree with your sig shallow, I find todays linux just as easy as windows if you allow it to be.

shallow
December 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
thanks
yeah i know i could download kubuntu and use it
i was just wondering why they picked gnome

i dont know enuff about the difference between the two.
i did try out kubuntu today (only got to use it for 30 min so no yelling)
but from the surface it seemed more like a windows type area. it seemed to have more of a gui interface is that true?

are there major flaws between ubuntu and kubuntu?

jachymc
December 20th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Because of development model. GNOME is released twice a year, what corespondes to the ubuntu development model. KDE is released "when it is done", which is not bad, but less good for distro like ubuntu is.

SunnyRabbiera
December 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
thanks
yeah i know i could download kubuntu and use it
i was just wondering why they picked gnome

i dont know enuff about the difference between the two.
i did try out kubuntu today (only got to use it for 30 min so no yelling)
but from the surface it seemed more like a windows type area. it seemed to have more of a gui interface is that true?

are there major flaws between ubuntu and kubuntu?

nothing to report here, to be honest you really dont need your disk to install kubuntu as you can just install the kubuntu desktop in ubuntu, its in the repositories.
If you need instructions I can give them to you.
Right now I have kubuntu-desktop installed as for some odd reason its working better then ubuntu-desktop right now for me when most of the time its the other way around.

Because of development model. GNOME is released twice a year, what corespondes to the ubuntu development model. KDE is released "when it is done", which is not bad, but less good for distro like ubuntu is.

yeh but KDE does seem better to me in that respect, it means they actually do work on bugs instead of meeting the deadline of six months...

Linuxratty
December 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
KDE, which is more of a flashy glitzy interface for people who like lots of bells and whistles ( and flashing lights ).

That would be me.):P:mrgreen::twisted:

rsambuca
December 21st, 2007, 12:32 AM
yeh but KDE does seem better to me in that respect, it means they actually do work on bugs instead of meeting the deadline of six months...

Just because Gnome has a new release every six months, it does not mean that they release everything that they are developing whether they are working or not. Generally the Gnome releases are not as 'major' as the KDE releases. But over time, both DE's make good strides, so whether you get them all at once, or a little bit at a time more often, it isn't a big deal.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 01:52 AM
There was a reason in the 4.10 documentation. It was along the lines of "KDE is/was not properly free".

Don't shoot the messenger.

rsambuca
December 21st, 2007, 01:59 AM
There was a reason in the 4.10 documentation. It was along the lines of "KDE is/was not properly free".

Don't shoot the messenger.

That issue has been discussed ad infinitum, and is no longer factual anyways.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 02:17 AM
That issue has been discussed ad infinitum, and is no longer factual anyways.

I know, it was the documentation that said it, not me.

The default desktop environment for Ubuntu is GNOME, a leading Unix and Linux desktop suite and development platform.

Another leading Unix and Linux desktop is KDE. Ubuntu does not install the KDE desktop by default. The project currently lacks the resources to maintain both KDE and GNOME desktops with a high level of quality. However, you will find all the KDE packages you could want in the universe component of Ubuntu. In the future, Ubuntu users will have a choice between these most excellent desktops. Work on this front is being done by the Kubuntu team.

The default desktop environment for Ubuntu 5.04; is GNOME, the emerging standard for free software desktops. GNOME provides a modern desktop environment for users, a powerful platform for developers and is fully translated into over 40 languages. You can learn more about the GNOME project at www.gnome.org

I suspect a look at the mailing list archives (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/) may give reasons.

Looking at the archives is very interesting, the developers were going to have Epiphany by default for instance.

undine
December 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM
Because Gnome is better? :P

I wish Ubuntu was even more Gnome-centric -- starting with using Epiphany as the default browser.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
I wish Ubuntu was even more Gnome-centric -- starting with using Epiphany as the default browser.

I doubt this will ever happen, but in Hardy, you could remove Firefox as Epiphany is now built with XULRunner 1.9.

People don't seem to realise that there won't be a properly stable version of KDE until 4.1 which I hear will be in August. By then, GNOME will be nearing 2.24.

If GNOME has done 11 releases so far in the 2.x series, it must still have some life in it. KDE has changed series 3 times, GNOME only once in about the same time.

daynah
December 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM
(deleted)

wolfen69
December 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM
because gnome is better. i have yet to find a kde based distro that is 100% stable. go ahead and flame away, but i have tried 50+ distros, and it's always kde that buggers up on me.

i suppose my hardware is 100% gnome compatible? last time i checked, it's not about the desktop you use, but if your stuff is linux compatible. yet kde screws up every time. i WANT to like kde, but until the bugs get worked out, you can have it.

also, i dont care how "configurable" it is. i do work on my pc. i couldnt care less how many options i have regarding the "look and feel" of my OS.

kubuntu is definitely the red headed step-child. it will always play second fiddle to ubuntu. if kubuntu was all that, IT would be the default DE, not gnome.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Actually, I read that SABDFL uses KDE.

Where?

What about Linus? It would be obvious but, he wrote all those patches (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=408898) for Metacity.

tehet
December 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Where?
Somewhere on this forum. He uses KDE on the laptop and Gnome on the desktop or the other way around, in order to keep track of both efforts.

wolfen69
December 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM
kde needs ALOT of effort.

Fixman
December 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Simple: there are of us who don't like searching things from bloated menus while waiting programs to start up on a slow computer and seeing stupid and nuisante mouse-icons.

oddin85
December 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
I don't know why I like gnome....

I tried KDE, it was ok, but I'm happier with gnome :-)

undine
December 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Simple: there are of us who don't like searching things from bloated menus while waiting programs to start up on a slow computer and seeing stupid and nuisante mouse-icons.

Or, to put it another way: some of us have work to do.

wolfen69
December 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
my guess is that kde appeals to 15-25 yr olds. bling is everything to these people.

tehet
December 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
15-25 yr olds.
Flatter will get you nowhere :lolflag:

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
my guess is that kde appeals to 15-25 yr olds. bling is everything to these people.

Really? I'm 18.

happysmileman
December 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Because the founder, Mark Shuttleworth prefers it.

In his opening remarks at the start of the conference Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth announced that he was using Kubuntu on his desktop machine and said he wanted Kubuntu to move to a first class distribution within the Ubuntu community.
From here (http://www.kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-commitment.php).

Also Mark Shuttleworth is the first patron of KDE.

RudolfMDLT
December 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah right.. that's why most Ubuntu-users use Gnome with Compiz and other flashy crap. :popcorn:

+1

Though if the functionality of KDE and KDE app's could be integrated into/made to look like or work like, the rounded off simplicity of gnome I'd die a happy guy...

p_quarles
December 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Man, this thread is seriously circling the drain. Let me preface the following by saying that I have no interest in changing Ubuntu's flagship distro, or in convincing anyone that my choices are somehow better or more "serious" than anyone else's. I just want to address a few of the absurdities that have been tossed around here:

-- "KDE is 'bling' for younger users." Why, because of the bouncing busy cursors? What about all the extremely powerful and versatile applications? E.g., Konqueror, Kate, K3b, Kontact?
-- "KDE always crashes + various other anecdotes from personal experience." Amarok crashes sometimes, but that's the only app I've had a problem with. When I used Gnome, I found that Evolution and Liferea would both crash on a frequent basis.
--" KDE's menus are too big." Yes, they are big. So is Gconf. Choose your poison.
-- "What Linus Torvalds (a self-professed troll) and Mark Shuttleworth prefer makes a bit of difference." Umm, false.
-- "I have work to do, therefore the customizability of KDE is simply cruft." I can't make any sense of this statement. It's as though people think the sole purpose of KControl is to change the wallpaper. No: many of the options allow the user to configure the GUI so as to optimize it for his/her favored working conditions.

Gnome fans, I implore you: enjoy your DE, but please stop the silliness.

samwyse
December 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM
I use KDE for the functionality. I disable all "bling". The bouncing cursor is annoying, you can disable it in kcontrol. They forgot to add the module for it in System Settings.

malangaman
December 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM
All the names starting with K are annoying. It is pretentious and unnecessary. A big turn off.
Simple is better and functionally both do the same thing. They provide access to the programs one wants to use.
Essentially equivalent, either one suffices.

bruce89
December 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
From Also Mark Shuttleworth is the first patron of KDE.

I remember feeling a bit annoyed about that.

Kubuntu was the main sponsor for Akademy, I remember thinking that Canonical better sponsor GUADEC a bit more the next year. They did.

Incense
December 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM

Maybe I'm missing out on something, but what is all this "bling" that everyone keeps referring to in KDE?

23meg
December 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Actually, I read that SABDFL uses KDE.

Where?

On his desktop computer. On his laptop, he uses GNOME (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2011037&postcount=28).

p_quarles
December 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing out on something, but what is all this "bling" that everyone keeps referring to in KDE?
It's located right next to the "looks too much like Windows" argument, and across the street from the "Konqueror tries to take over your desktop" canard.

Seriously, I don't know how people can get so worked up over all of this. Gnome, KDE and Xfce are all perfectly functional desktops, and they are all fit for people ranging from point-and-clickers to serious power users. Saying otherwise is flamebaiting, pure and simple.

CCNA_student
December 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Kellemes is right. It is Ubuntu that comes with that desktop on a cube thing and the windows that can bend as you move them. And I just like KDE better than Gnome, I guess I do not like the dirty brown colors that Ubuntu comes with.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

23meg
December 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
Note to new visitors: this thread is now in "I like $DE more; I don't know why and don't care to say why, and even if I say why, the subject isn't what DE people like more, so I'm a red herring in any case" mode. Please post unbacked positive statements for your DE of choice, and unbacked assumptions and generalizations about other DEs, so that the flame war will start sooner, and we'll get rid of the thread sooner. Thank you.

I like KDE. My mother, however, doesn't like the dirty blue color it comes with. My uncle likes GNOME. Most of my relatives like XFCE. But XFCE is slow, so I use GNOME.

new2*buntu
December 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
I like KDE. My mother, however, doesn't like the dirty blue color it comes with. My uncle likes GNOME. Most of my relatives like XFCE. But XFCE is slow, so I use GNOME.

:lolflag: That doesn't make sense at all.

bruce89
December 22nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
It is Ubuntu that comes with that desktop on a cube thing and the windows that can bend as you move them.

Compiz is not part of GNOME, Metacity is.

On his desktop computer. On his laptop, he uses GNOME (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2011037&postcount=28).

I meant "where's the evidence", but I have it now.

Incense
December 22nd, 2007, 02:51 AM
It's located right next to the "looks too much like Windows" argument, and across the street from the "Konqueror tries to take over your desktop" canard.

Seriously, I don't know how people can get so worked up over all of this. Gnome, KDE and Xfce are all perfectly functional desktops, and they are all fit for people ranging for point-and-clickers to serious power users. Saying otherwise is flamebaiting, pure and simple.

:lolflag: I agree though. I am a KDE guy, but I have no problem with Gnome or any other DE. Some days I'll load of gnome just for a change of scenery. I personally think the DE wars are funny, and great watching.!