PDA

View Full Version : ThinkPad Owners Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 02:15 AM
If you own a ThinkPad, you are probably very happy.

The ThinkPad series has been known for "exceptional build quality, system reliability", according to wikipedia, and I support that phrase.

So, what ThinkPads have you owned, own, or wish to own.

If you have any problems or exception stories (good or bad) let us know.

Articles and other interesting ThinkPad related links are welcome.

I recently bought, in October, a ThinkPad R61. I love it so far and hope to for a long time.

It has:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2 GB RAM
160 GB Hard Drive
DVD +RW Drive

It works perfectly with Gutsy, however, Feisty had issues with the DVD drive, but that was fixable.

toupeiro
December 20th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I've had a T40 and currently have a T60.

I am at a crossroads right now where my job is giving me the option to upgrade, and i have two options:

T61p or the HP 8710w. As much as I love thinkpads, I am opting for the HP here. The config I am getting trumps the T61p in every way (CPU, disk options, screen, video card, and ram) and is only 300 dollars more than the best configured t61p I can get my hands on.

It is by no means a knock against Thinkpads, I know how good they are, and I want to test out HP's mobile workstation line of laptops to see how they compare.

HP will have:
Intel T7800 CPU
8GB of RAM
17" Display (1920x1200)
Nvidia FX 1600m (512MB of RAM)
120GB Sata
DVD/RW, Wireless, all the other standard goodies.

Sunflower1970
December 20th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I have an R40. Love it. Really haven't had any problems with it at all...Even dropped it once and nothing broke or went wonky on it. It had been sitting on a cooling pad at the time, and both fell to the floor. The cooling pad pretty much busted apart while the R40 keeps on ticking :D

hvac3901
December 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM
T61 relatively brand new.

duo core.
2gb
3100 graphics
integrated fingerprint reader

overall pretty happy, still wish i had the original think pad functions working though.

K.Mandla
December 20th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Count me in.

http://omploader.org/tMnY3Mg (http://omploader.org/vMnY3Mg)

An 1161-41j (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:I1200), dating back to 2000 or so. It's definitely one of the best (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/hardware/) machines I've ever owned.

jrusso2
December 20th, 2007, 02:55 AM

I am at a crossroads right now where my job is giving me the option to upgrade, and i have two options:

T61p or the HP 8710w. As much as I love thinkpads, I am opting for the HP here. The config I am getting trumps the T61p in every way (CPU, disk options, screen, video card, and ram) and is only 300 dollars more than the best configured t61p I can get my hands on.

It is by no means a knock against Thinkpads, I know how good they are, and I want to test out HP's mobile workstation line of laptops to see how they compare.

HP will have:
Intel T7800 CPU
8GB of RAM
17" Display (1920x1200)
120GB Sata

I would not trade my Thinkpad for any HP and I have used both. The one you describe is more of a desktop replacment.

I have desktops I use my laptop because its small enough to be portable.

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM

HP will have:
Intel T7800 CPU
8GB of RAM
17" Display (1920x1200)
120GB Sata

You are going to carry that around?!

Great specs, but for what I use my laptop, such a size would be impracticle.

(Could you post a picture?)

50words
December 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I have a T43 and love it. I owned a Dell Inspiron for five years before this computer, and replaced two screens, two keyboard, three motherboards, a disk drive, a hard drive, and probably more. I have had my ThinkPad for 2.5 years, and have only replaced a button on the touchpad (too much Morrowind will do that to you). I take my laptop everywhere, and need ThinkPad durability. Nothing else cuts it.

4.5-5 lbs is still too heavy for my liking, though (no, I am not small, I just like to travel light).

Unfortunately, I have an ATI Radeon Mobility video card, which means either screwing around with configuration files and third-party crap, or waiting for better drivers. In 7.10, at least I can use some of the Compiz enhancements.

I am hoping that another six months with the open ATI information will mean a better driver for Hardy Heron. If I can ever get dual monitors working, I can start thinking about ditching Windows entirely.

Onyros
December 20th, 2007, 03:35 AM
My sig pretty much says it all :D

First X of the poll, yay!

I owned a T23, too. I should have kept it... but the X31 replaced it, completely. I wouldn't trade this little laptop for anything.

jimrz
December 20th, 2007, 04:39 AM
1 -TP 600x - PIII 500 Mhz / 384 Mb ram / 12Gb hdd

Have had this old friend for what seems like ever and never a problem. Has been running ubuntu since breezy and currently running gutsy beautifully.

2 - TP T42 - Pm 1.8 Ghz / 1Gb ram / 80Gb hdd

My current everyday laptop. Great box, again never any problems. Running ubuntu (dual boot w/xp) [yeah,yeah, work stuff, can't avoid it but getting closer all the time] since dapper and currently happily using gutsy.

Wouldn't trade either of them for the world.

steelcap
December 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM
T61 here - Centrino Duo 2.0Ghz - 2Gb Ram - Intel graphics.

My CTO loves HP and always want to buy them when we get notebooks, but I held out for a Thinkpad. After playing with my T61 for about 5 minutes he asked me to order him one too.

I need XP for my windows sysadmin tools at work, but this thing dual boots Kubuntu like a dream. There are a couple of things that don't work out of the box, but can be fixed in a few minutes (when I get the time) - the page forward/backward buttons and small issues with screen brightness. Wireless works beautifully without any configuration.

nat6138
December 20th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I own a ThinkPad T30, works great. Very durable.

And worked right out of the box on Ubuntu!

zcal
December 20th, 2007, 05:45 AM
ThinkPad R40
1.8 ghz Celeron
512 mb RAM
20 gb hdd
ATI Mobility M6 LY 16 mb

I bought this on eBay for around $500 a couple of years ago. I think it must've been owned by a business and licensed to an employee in its previous life...

It's run a gauntlet of Linux installs with me. Ubuntu Breezy all the way through Gutsy, Gentoo, Zenwalk, Debian Sid, Lenny, and now Etch...even FreeBSD.

I like the ThinkPad's design better than any other laptop's (even Apple's line) just because it's all business. I've always hated how Dells and Compaqs and HPs look like little spaceships. ThinkPads are simply elegant, they pack useful features, and they're solid.

Now...if only the previous owner hadn't effectively drained the battery on mine. :(

toupeiro
December 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM
You are going to carry that around?!

Great specs, but for what I use my laptop, such a size would be impracticle.

(Could you post a picture?)

Yes, I am. :-) I have an Ogio (http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=126) bag, so its no thing whatsoever to carry. It's 1 pound heaver than a t61p.

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/HP-Compaq-8710w-notebook.jpg

As far as being a desktop replacement -- My work linux desktop is a dual chip dual core opteron with 16GB of ram and a Quadro-FX 5500. (and no, it is not overkill, I've taxed this box on many occaision depending on what I'm doing)

You may never replace your thinkpad for an HP, and thats fine, you shouldn't. thinkpads are great. I have a practical reason to (not to mention the opportunity to do so with no cost to me) from a resource standpoint, and I'm curious to see how the integrity of these laptops compare. If it fails in three months, then I guess I have my answer, but I doubt it will. You can't simply slam it because its an HP and you've had a crappy HP. This is not your bargin bin laptop line, much like the thinkpad line is not. HP Proliants are some of the best servers built, but you wouldn't know it from a crappy presario desktop..

Plus, the 8710w docking station has a built in NAS! Now that, I don't need... but there is a definate drool factor in effect. :-D

steelcap
December 20th, 2007, 06:15 AM
I like the ThinkPad's design better than any other laptop's (even Apple's line) just because it's all business.

I agree, I bought my wife a Macbook just before I got my Thinkpad in September and the Macbook is definitely "consumer" grade compared to the pro feel of the Thinkpad. Both cost about the same.

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Yes, I am. :-) I have an Ogio (http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=126) bag, so its no thing whatsoever to carry. It's 1 pound heaver than a t61p.

As far as being a desktop replacement -- My work linux desktop is a dual chip dual core opteron with 16GB of ram and a Quadro-FX 5500. (and no, it is not overkill, I've taxed this box on many occaision depending on what I'm doing)

You may never replace your thinkpad for an HP, and thats fine, you shouldn't. thinkpads are great. I have a practical reason to from a resource standpoint, and I'm curious to see how the integrity of these laptops compare. You can't simply slam it because its an HP and you've had a crappy HP. This is not your bargin bin laptop, much like the thinkpad line is not. HP Proliants are some of the best servers built, but you wouldn't know it from a crappy presario desktop..

Wow, your specs are certainly impressive, I am envious.

I have a Compaq Presario, and it works great (I am an HP fan too), good specs (not as high as yours though).

Let us know how the laptop works out, any good laptop is a good laptop no matter who built it.

toupeiro
December 20th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Wow, your specs are certainly impressive, I am envious.

I have a Compaq Presario, and it works great (I am an HP fan too), good specs (not as high as yours though).

Let us know how the laptop works out, any good laptop is a good laptop no matter who built it.

I will definately do so. :-) It will be a dual boot system. 64-bit vista and 64-bit feisty. The vista is for my work and R&D for cross platform 64 bit applications. The Feisty is for me because I do not like vista.

:edit: No offense about the crappy presario remark I hope, lol! I was making a point in comparison, not to say that all presario's are crap. <inserts foot in mouth>

Whiffle
December 20th, 2007, 06:31 AM
T43 here...

1.86GHz Pentium M
2 GB Ram
120 GB seagate momentus HD
Intel GMA 910 Graphics
IPW2200 wireless
bluetooth
Slackware
Windows XP

I love this little machine. It works great, is silly fast (to me anyway), pulls in wireless wonderfully (better than my friends shiny new macbook pro), and is a tank. The keyboard is great too, almost as good as my IBM model M keyboard on my desktop. I've also been very impressed at how cool this thing stays, tis wonderful! Only thing wrong with it is I'm missing a screw off the bottom left corner under the wrist rest. I've also been very impressed

Oh and since I havn't seen it mentioned yet, great info to be had here:

www.thinkwiki.org

I'm using the tp-fancontrol script from thinkwiki as well, it works nicely to keep the fan noise down.

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM
:edit: No offense about the crappy presario remark I hope, lol! I was making a point in comparison, not to say that all presario's are crap. <inserts foot in mouth>

I understand what you meant, it was kind of funny on my end.

I added a lot of the hard ware, so it isn't the same computer I bought (well, the processor and motherboard are the same as is the case, but most of the devices are added on)

regomodo
December 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thinkpad 570e - 448MHz P3 - 312MB RAM - 30GB hdd - belkin wifi

I use Debian Lenny and Arch Linux on it. Used to use Xubuntu and Ubuntu server+fluxbox but there were too many issues

Scarath
December 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I have the old T40, it works 'out of the box' with Ubuntu and has really sold me as far as thinkpads go, they are just a wonderful little machine and like many people have said, they are all business! Which i love.

Although one of my friends did ask me if i stole it from a bank ... lol

p.s. Need Some Advice!

Anyway can anyone vouch for the 9-cell batteries than Lenovo put out? Are they worth the £100 (rather than paying £40 for the 6 cell)???

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/europe/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_92P1102

I have just got the factory shipped batt on this thing and its starting to die (i can only charge it to about 70%).

insane_alien
December 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
had a nice R50e. only thing i can fault it on is its crappy performance under 1.2 tesla magnetic fields. though all consumer PC's and laptops suffer from this unless well shielded but prefferable at a good distance.

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
p.s. Need Some Advice!

Anyway can anyone vouch for the 9-cell batteries than Lenovo put out? Are they worth the £100 (rather than paying £40 for the 6 cell)???

I would get it if I used my battery a lot. If you don't use you run on battery only for longer periods of time, I would recommend staying with the less expensive battery.

zcal
December 22nd, 2007, 05:40 AM
Here's a little treasure I just dug up that I think y'all might find interesting. It's a ThinkPad 360Cs. We got it a few years ago from a friend of the family when the company he worked for was getting rid of it. I have no idea what made them keep it as long as they did, but here it is now.

I yanked the included image from this (http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360003706022) eBay item, so you can see what mine looks like. (That's not me who's selling, by the way!) The specs on the auction are the same as mine...Intel 486, 12 mb RAM, 360 mb hdd...but I have a power cord and battery. Indeed, mine STILL WORKS!

It's got Windows 95 installed on it, which must have been done from floppy disk, interestingly enough. But, I'm not terribly interested in keeping it that way.

Any suggestions as to what I could do with this thing?

LaRoza
December 22nd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Try puppy or another OS in the Other OS Talk forum sticky on old computers.

Looks like a good machine.

dedmonds
January 27th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I own ThinkPad T61, T41, and T22 laptops and have been very, very happy with each of them. I run Ubuntu of all of them without any significant problems.

(I do have a small problem on the T41 with the video card after the laptop has been running for some time, but that was caused by my 2-year-old standing on it while he tried to get on the couch. :))

-D-

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I own ThinkPad T61, T41, and T22 laptops and have been very, very happy with each of them. I run Ubuntu of all of them without any significant problems.

(I do have a small problem on the T41 with the video card after the laptop has been running for some time, but that was caused by my 2-year-old standing on it while he tried to get on the couch. :))

-D-

Cool. I have the R61, perfect with Ubuntu.

ThinkPads can survive a lot, but I doubt 2 year olds are factored in :)

hvac3901
January 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
i actually aquired a T22 for my five year old recently. And chose to load edubuntu on it, works like a champ except for the wireless card (no OS problem its dead, and the battery needs replacing) other than that owrks fine. and pretty fast considering.

IvanI
January 29th, 2008, 05:26 AM
In the past 4 years Ive gotten my grubby paws on several thinkpads.
In no particular order:

701cs ; butterfly keyboard 70mhz intel cpu and 8 mb of ram
390e ; pentium II 333mhz 128 mb ram
570e ; pentium 3 500mhz 192 mb ram (I wish they had continued making 13" notebooks)
T40 ; pentium m 1.5 Ghz 786mb ram

I bought the T40 off ebay for school stuff, and I have had trouble finding anything so far that rivals it in terms of build quality; other than the rest of the T series of course :P

regomodo
January 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
i was curious about IBM thinkpad mini-cpi whitelisting due to the BIOS. Has anyone come into trouble with using the mini-pci slot. The reason i ask is what i found when i added (http://regomodoslinux.blogspot.com/2008/01/overcoming-ibms-treacherous-thinkpad.html) a random wifi card to my 570e.

I also added internal antenna (http://regomodoslinux.blogspot.com/2008/01/internal-antenna.html) to my 'pad and works rather well.

Omnios
January 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I have a dead thinkpat t-20 in the closet. A chip on the motherboard is dead as per looking up the boot error.
If I can find a t-20 motherboard I could get it up and running but so far only motherboard I have found the buy wanted like $70 for it so that is not worth fixing it at this time.

Whiffle
January 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I have a dead thinkpat t-20 in the closet. A chip on the motherboard is dead as per looking up the boot error.
If I can find a t-20 motherboard I could get it up and running but so far only motherboard I have found the buy wanted like $70 for it so that is not worth fixing it at this time.

Tried ebay?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=t20+motherboard&category0=

clayts450
February 4th, 2008, 06:15 AM
T22 bought for £150 off eBay about 2 years ago. Like a true laptop it lives on my lap whilst I watch telly.

Dual boot Windows 98SE/Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
40GB HDD
384MB RAM
900MHz PIII

Ubuntu works fine, if a little sluggish at times, and these are my outstanding issues before I kiss Bill Gates goodbye on this laptop (what a horrible thought) :

- get another 256MB stick of ram to up it to the max of 512
- install a replacement motherboard (acquired for £20, also has a 1 Gig processor on it !) to replace this rapidly failing one (suffers from the blink of death, workround is to bend the base manically on boot up, and it works too !)
- get Ultrabay working again (probably related to motherboard issue)
- get scrap T20/21/22/23 to replace some of the plastics (cracked in all the usual places)
- get to grips with wireless once and for all - got further than ever before using WICD, but still having problems connecting (can see the SSIDs but cannot get connected via WPA) plus Ubuntu completely freezes up if I boot up with the WG511 v1 card in the PCMIA slot
- get the Harmony Remote package working on Ubuntu

That should give me a good few years yet with this beastie - she may be falling apart but man, these things are indestructible :) Will reduce Windows 98SE partition to the smallest possible and run with Ubuntu thereafter. Can't remember the last time I used Windows on this laptop actually...

unbuntu
February 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'm writing this post on a Thinkpad T60p (T7400-2.16G, 2G DDR, 100G 7200rpm SATA, FireGL 5250, 14-inch). Has been running Ubuntu as primary OS for over a month now due to school work. Most hardware work under Ubuntu perfectly except for the crappy ATI 3D driver and no hibernation...

ThinkBuntu
February 4th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Loved my T43, but $500 towards the Creative Web Premium Suite from Adobe was worth selling it to supplement my MacBook. That also allowed me to increase RAM from 768MB to 2GB, which has been great.

50words
February 6th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Is anyone using a ThinkPad with an Nvidia video card and a second monitor?

I am looking to get a new laptop, and I prefer ThinkPads, but I need to be able to use a second monitor at the office.

zachtib
February 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Is anyone using a ThinkPad with an Nvidia video card and a second monitor?

I am looking to get a new laptop, and I prefer ThinkPads, but I need to be able to use a second monitor at the office.

i'd look up the model you want on thinkwiki.org

hellion0
February 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Proud ThinkPad owner since 2006. I bought mine off eBay for about $160, then it cost about $60 for the accessories (car charger, battery, larger HD.)

TP 600 - 300MHz Pentium II - 352MB RAM - 40GB HDD

It used to run Ubuntu Feisty, but when I decided to upgrade to Gutsy, I switched it to Xubuntu in the process. Even with a newer HP also around (a Pavilion ze4300), as well as my desktop (which has the most muscle among my machines), I've been heavily using the Thinkpad. It stands up to everything from kids and falls to hardware faults and STILL chugs along. The only thing that's failed on it is the CDROM drive, and of course, the usual Thinkpad battery problems. It was hell getting the sound working, but worth it. It was my workhorse for almost all of 2007, and even now, it still sees use as a recovery machine.

50words
February 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
i'd look up the model you want on thinkwiki.org

Unfortunately, the wiki does not explicitly say whether it does or not. I would appreciate a report from someone actually running a ThinkPad with a second monitor, especially if the second monitor is a different resolution.

Specifically, I am looking at getting the ThinkPad T61 with the NVIDIA card.

pieisgood4589
February 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I have a really old a21m that I fixed up. Runs Linux like a champ- only 192mb RAM, and a 846mzh processor!

zachtib
February 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Unfortunately, the wiki does not explicitly say whether it does or not. I would appreciate a report from someone actually running a ThinkPad with a second monitor, especially if the second monitor is a different resolution.

Specifically, I am looking at getting the ThinkPad T61 with the NVIDIA card.

I managed to get dual monitor support working on my R51 with an ATI card, so I would imagine that an Nvidia card would work even better. I'd expect it to work.

That said, I'd opt for an Intel video card, which I think would be almost guaranteed to work.

iMav
February 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I own both a T23 and a X60s. Both are maxed out ram-wise (1 and 2GB, respectively). Both run Gutsy beautifully.

I absolutely HATE touchpads, so I'm happy to have two Thinkpads that are trackpoint ONLY! ;)

Vadi
February 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
T40 right now. Love Trackpoints, but wasn't really looking toward Lenovo 'quality' - went with a system76 laptop instead. I'll have to get used to a mouse :(

Redrazor39
February 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
What's a thinkpad?

haylocki
February 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hi,

- get to grips with wireless once and for all - got further than ever before using WICD, but still having problems connecting (can see the SSIDs but cannot get connected via WPA) plus Ubuntu completely freezes up if I boot up with the WG511 v1 card in the PCMIA slot

Have you tried disabling ipv6 to get the wireless going ?

I know the devs frown on this behaviour, but it was the only way I could get my wireless cards to connect using WPA encryption.

Now have wireless on a T21 and 770ed using RT2500 wireless cards, and using the nm-applet. :-)

The easiest way to disable ipv6 is to :

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

and add the line :

blacklist ipv6

Save the file and reboot.

if

lsmod |grep ipv6
does not return anything then ipv6 should be disabled

Does not disable ipv6 for all systems, but works for me, and there are threads about disabling ipv6 in the forums, if you need more help.

HTH, Ian

LaRoza
February 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
What's a thinkpad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

They are known for their quality.

MRCeltic
February 14th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Currently Have a R40

OEM Specs:
Windows XP Professional
1.4GHz Centrino
256MB DDR2700
40GB 4200RPM HDD
ATi Radeon 7500 32MB
Intel 2100B Wireless

Current Config:
Windows XP Professional
Ubuntu 7.10 Dual Boot
1.4GHz Centrino
1GB DDR400 PQI
100GB Western Digital Scorpio 5400RPM HDD
ATI Radeon 7500
Intel 2200B/G Wireless (BIOS Crack for it to work)

Comparison:
This is my first laptop. I have worked on other laptop's for many people though, and IBM Thinkpad's are by far the best that i have dealt with. My Roommate currently has a Brand new Toshiba A215 with Vista and Ubuntu Dual boot. with all the icing. Ubuntu doesn't like his Graphics Card or his wireless. I have been able to get everything to work on Ubuntu with my thinkpad. I have had one problem with it since i have owned if for the past year, and that was the hard drive crashed which is to be expected It was a hitachi hard drive and was quite old. There is not a laptop that is made today that i would choose over a Thinkpad Regardless of specs.

Omnios
February 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
What's a thinkpad?

Thinkpads are laptops with a repetition of being tough as nails.

LaRoza
February 16th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Thinkpads are laptops with a repetition of being tough as nails.

Tougher, and it is "reputation". Sorry to correct you.

amingv
February 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM
It suddenly came to me:

James Bond -
007 in
Thinkpads
are
forever
A novel by Ian Flemming

I've seen Thinkpads fall from a considerable altitude with unnoticeable results.

LaRoza
February 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I've seen Thinkpads fall from a considerable altitude with unnoticeable results.

I don't recommend doing that however.

amingv
February 16th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I don't recommend doing that however.

Yes, that's something I had to learn by chocking several "waterproofed" watches. There's use, there's abuse and there's the scientific method :KS

Pekkalainen
February 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
OUCH! I fell and accidently bumped the thread #-o

Im in the process of buying a refurbished Thinkpad and have 2 choices. The X40 and the X60.

Which one would you say works best with Ubuntu? Performance is a non-issue for me. Both are strong enough to do what I need. What I wonder is which one has the best compability with GNU/Linux in general?

The X60 has a lot of bells and whistles such as fingerprint reader and other "security" gadgets that I dont really need. The wireless chip seems to be Intel but Im not sure. The price is at roughly $1400 (8995 SEK, whoah the dollar is worthless these days!)

The X40 goes for less than half the price and does not have a bunch of useless gizmos, however it does have 11b/g mini PCI adapter that I presume is an Atheros chip and hence a pain to set up? Also I presume this does not support booting from USB stick? It would kinda suck to have to buy an external CD drive just to install an operating system once or twice :???:

So as I said, which one is best from a compability and ease of use/install perspective? Price and performance is irrelevant.

Thanks.

LaRoza
February 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
OUCH! I fell and accidently bumped the thread #-o

Im in the process of buying a refurbished Thinkpad and have 2 choices. The X40 and the X60.

Which one would you say works best with Ubuntu? Performance is a non-issue for me. Both are strong enough to do what I need. What I wonder is which one has the best compability with GNU/Linux in general?

The X60 has a lot of bells and whistles such as fingerprint reader and other "security" gadgets that I dont really need. The wireless chip seems to be Intel but Im not sure. The price is at roughly $1400 (8995 SEK, whoah the dollar is worthless these days!)

The X40 goes for less than half the price and does not have a bunch of useless gizmos, however it does have 11b/g mini PCI adapter that I presume is an Atheros chip and hence a pain to set up? Also I presume this does not support booting from USB stick? It would kinda suck to have to buy an external CD drive just to install an operating system once or twice :???:

So as I said, which one is best from a compability and ease of use/install perspective? Price and performance is irrelevant.

Thanks.

Intel is always easier, but you might not be able to use Compiz.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2701

The X60 should be the best. (The fingerprinter reader really doesn't add to it, they all have that now)

The X40 should also work, but has much less specs so it probably isn't going to run Ubuntu well.

Get the X60, if you can.

Compucore
February 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I've been very happy with the IBM thinkpads for the longest time over here. I have an earlier think pad and my r32 both running linux onboard both of them with a good version for each due to memory restrictoins on the slower one. Never really had any big problesms installing any operating system that I have used over here. They are good old reliable machines. Eventually I will upgrade into something larger. But for now both are good for what I need to do with them.

Compucore

Pekkalainen
February 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Intel is always easier, but you might not be able to use Compiz.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2701

The X60 should be the best. (The fingerprinter reader really doesn't add to it, they all have that now)

The X40 should also work, but has much less specs so it probably isn't going to run Ubuntu well.

Get the X60, if you can.

Why I even consider the X40 is because it is just about enough for ordinary tasks and of course because it is under half price of the X60, I will run more lightweight apps anyway so it might even fly with 1,2 Ghz and 512 MB of RAM. And RAM is upgradeable :)

The reviews I have read about the X60 says it can run rather hot while the X40 reviews say the opposite which is also a factor. My current 14" semi-gaming laptop gets pretty hot on the bottom and on the palm rests and it is really annoying. This time I just want a machine built for ordinary office tasks to keep the temperature down, no Compiz or other eye candy, just a functional machine :)

Thinkwiki says its possible to get the Atheros Wifi working, the question is how smooth it is to handle compared to the Intel 3945ABG I have in my current laptop that does not require any tinkering at all basicly.

My prime concern with the X40 is if it can boot from USB stick or not, it will be rather hard to wipe it and install Ubuntu without that feature :(

I realise it seems like I have already made my mind up but Im just thinking out loud to get feedback and advice :)

edit: found another feature that could almost be a "killer app" about the X40: no windows keys :D

LaRoza
February 27th, 2008, 01:45 AM
My prime concern with the X40 is if it can boot from USB stick or not, it will be rather hard to wipe it and install Ubuntu without that feature :(

I realise it seems like I have already made my mind up but Im just thinking out loud to get feedback and advice :)

I don't know. It is up to the BIOS mostly, and booting from usb has been spotty even in compliant systems.

Sorry. Perhaps it would be possible to try out the systems?

Pekkalainen
February 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I don't know. It is up to the BIOS mostly, and booting from usb has been spotty even in compliant systems.

Sorry. Perhaps it would be possible to try out the systems?

No I can't try them out, both companies that offer these are very far away :(

I will keep looking on thinkwiki and other places but anyone is free to give their thoughts about it of course :)

Vadi
February 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM
If you're a compiz user, you'll realize that no windows key is not a killer app at all... as I did on my old thinkpad.

LaRoza
February 27th, 2008, 02:01 AM
No I can't try them out, both companies that offer these are very far away :(

I will keep looking on thinkwiki and other places but anyone is free to give their thoughts about it of course :)

If the price is not an issue, I really recommend the X60. The quality of ThinkPads doensn't go away, and a new computer can only serve you longer and better.

Naturally, if the X40 can satisfy your needs, get that one.

I have an R61 (comparable in features to the X60, but a little higher spec), and just recently (today, actually) got an old iBook for a very low price. If I were lacking both, and had to choose, I would get the ThinkPad for ~$1000 instead of the iBook G3 for $75.

Pekkalainen
February 27th, 2008, 02:20 AM
If the price is not an issue, I really recommend the X60. The quality of ThinkPads doensn't go away, and a new computer can only serve you longer and better.

Naturally, if the X40 can satisfy your needs, get that one.

I have an R61 (comparable in features to the X60, but a little higher spec), and just recently (today, actually) got an old iBook for a very low price. If I were lacking both, and had to choose, I would get the ThinkPad for ~$1000 instead of the iBook G3 for $75.

Yeah thats logical thinking indeed. The price isn't a problem really, I can afford the X60. But for my performance needs I have my desktop with my nice 24" screen and all the gizmos I will ever need. The Thinkpad will be more of a light travel companion that I will do IM/E-mail/surf stuff on while on the run so the cheaper price isnt just nicer for the wallet, it is also nicer for my mental health in case it is stolen or broken while moving around. I used to be really into the Asus EEE but the X40 sells for roughly the same price and has slightly more juice under the hood and a functional screen, that's a huge selling point and I'm seriously leaning towards it instead of the X60. The performance wont last as long of course but it should hold together nicely from a physical standpoint since it is sold in refurbished condition.

Thanks for playing devils advocate with me, I have a hard time making my mind up :D

LaRoza
February 27th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Yeah thats logical thinking indeed. The price isn't a problem really, I can afford the X60. But for my performance needs I have my desktop with my nice 24" screen and all the gizmos I will ever need. The Thinkpad will be more of a light travel companion that I will do IM/E-mail/surf stuff on while on the run so the cheaper price isnt just nicer for the wallet, it is also nicer for my mental health in case it is stolen or broken while moving around. I used to be really into the Asus EEE but the X40 sells for roughly the same price and has slightly more juice under the hood and a functional screen, that's a huge selling point and I'm seriously leaning towards it instead of the X60. The performance wont last as long of course but it should hold together nicely from a physical standpoint since it is sold in refurbished condition.

Thanks for playing devils advocate with me, I have a hard time making my mind up :D

Both will fulflill you travel and usage, from what you describe.

The way I see it:

X60: Newer, mostly likely will work with no problems with Linux, more specs, will last longer

X40: Less expensive, likely to need tweaking to work with Linux, less specs, will give you ThinkPad quality

Both are good systems, as they are both ThinkPads.

(To me, if I have the money, get the biggest toy :))

kaens
February 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have a T30 and an R61e. Love them both.

americanLoki
February 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I had a Xsomething a couple of years ago, installed Fedora Core on it, eventually it just died.

I then had a T43p through work since October (Ubuntu worked great on it), it was my boss's machine, and he preferred it over his other work laptop (it was a Gateway so I can't really blame him) so I had to give it back 2 weeks ago :-(. But he budgeted for a new laptop so I got a shiny new T61 last week. My only complaint is it only came with 1GB of RAM (and it had Vista Business, I can deal with XP, but Vista...ugh :-&). A couple of 2GB sticks from Newegg will fix that problem.

DogFoodTaster
February 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I have an x40 that I bought used about 8 months ago. 1.2 Ghz, 512MB of RAM. So far it has been one of the best computer purchases I have ever made. The two things I was worried about before buying were whether or not I would like the trackpoint and whether or not it would be able to virtualize XP fast enough to get work done. I can say that both are in no way problems. I love the trackpoint. Battery life is really good to. I get about 4 and a half hours with the 8 cell battery pack. As a nice bonus wireless worked out of the box with Gutsy.

DogFoodTaster
February 28th, 2008, 06:08 AM
[QUOTE=The reviews I have read about the X60 says it can run rather hot while the X40 reviews say the opposite which is also a factor. My current 14" semi-gaming laptop gets pretty hot on the bottom and on the palm rests and it is really annoying. This time I just want a machine built for ordinary office tasks to keep the temperature down, no Compiz or other eye candy, just a functional machine :)

Thinkwiki says its possible to get the Atheros Wifi working, the question is how smooth it is to handle compared to the Intel 3945ABG I have in my current laptop that does not require any tinkering at all basicly.

edit: found another feature that could almost be a "killer app" about the X40: no windows keys :D[/QUOTE]

I am writting from an x40 over wi-fi with an ubuntu that was installed from a bootable usb drive. Wi-fi works right out of the box so there is no setup needed. It supports wep, wpa, and wpa2.

Booting from usb is easy to. You just need to set usb as a bootable option before your hard drive in the BIOS booting options.

Heat is no issue at all either. My x40 never gets hot enough to cause any sort of discomfort. I almost use it exclusivly sitting on my lap.

You said you don't need Compiz, but if you change your mind you'll be happy to know that it works flawlessly.

u5man4
February 29th, 2008, 07:19 PM
:( my thinkpad r50e wod rock if i can knw how to turn my ipw2200 into ipw2200-ap but im a n00b at linux

Pekkalainen
February 29th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I have an x40 that I bought used about 8 months ago. 1.2 Ghz, 512MB of RAM. So far it has been one of the best computer purchases I have ever made. The two things I was worried about before buying were whether or not I would like the trackpoint and whether or not it would be able to virtualize XP fast enough to get work done. I can say that both are in no way problems. I love the trackpoint. Battery life is really good to. I get about 4 and a half hours with the 8 cell battery pack. As a nice bonus wireless worked out of the box with Gutsy.

Great! I just ordered one of those puppies with the exact same specs from a company that sells refurbished computers and I was worrying about the wireless working or not. I found out it comes with a docking station so if I want I can install from cd as well. It sounds like this will be the best machine I have ever owned :D

satishputcha
March 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I 've had Thinkpads since 2004 and I really like them. Earlier I was using an Acer. However since I bought the TP G40 (got from a Family and Friends sale at IBM) I am loathe to part with it. In fact its now still in use though its just 20 GB HD.

I later bought a Z60m. Again through the sale and its been quite good. The one thing that strikes me with the Thinkpads as opposed to any other brand is that these machines seem to be exude toughness. Many other laptops while being great with features look too delicate.

Anyway, now for the bad part.

I installed Gutsy 7.10 on the Z60m around a month ago. The laptop is hanging way too frequently on Ubuntu. Is there any hardware issue which could be causing this?

Regards,
Satish

upforthedownstroke
March 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Even budget thinkpads rock, like mine. I have 2 R60e's that totally rock; one for Windows and recording software, the other for Ubuntu.
not to mention my ancient I1400 with it's MMX Pentium.

Pekkalainen
March 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I got my used X40 today and I must say it kicks some serious ammount of butt :)
Even the atheros card worked out of the box and wanted to connect upon first boot with the live cd. Only problem is the fn key combo doesnt work so I can never shut it off, is there some kind of fix for that? :lol:

I seem to have a problem with the hard drive as well. It makes a noise infrequently that sounds sort of like *blipp* with a hint of clicking in it. It happens anywhere from every third minute to every third second. It can happen both on battery and on AC. My Load_Cycle_Count is in the billions range (!!) and Power_On_Hours is somewhere around 30 000. Is it just old age or do I need to worry about the famous hdd bug? I have tried different temporary hdparm fixes but none of them make any difference on the noise. Guess in the end I can always buy a new disk since these 40 gig 1,8" drives go for pennies at the nearest computer webshop.

Other than that I must say my previous laptop is for sale as of now :lol:

dcast
March 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Just ordered myself a new R61 to replace my aging 600X, specs are:

14.1 Inch WXGA, Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 3MBL2 Cache, 1GB Ram in single dimm, 80GB hard disk (for now), Intel X3100 Graphics, Card reader, 6 Cell battery. I am going to run either Kubuntu Hardy, OpenSuSE 10.3 or Debian Lenny. Lenovo estimates a 2-3 week shipping date. Can't wait! :)

LaRoza
March 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Just ordered myself a new R61 to replace my aging 600X, specs are:

14.1 Inch WXGA, Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 3MBL2 Cache, 1GB Ram in single dimm, 80GB hard disk (for now), Intel X3100 Graphics, Card reader, 6 Cell battery. I am going to run either Kubuntu Hardy, OpenSuSE 10.3 or Debian Lenny. Lenovo estimates a 2-3 week shipping date. Can't wait! :)

I have Ubuntu 8.04 beta on my R61, couldn't be happier.

(Everything works, wireless, Compiz, etc)

dcast
March 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Excellent, I had thought everything would work, although I knew there were a couple issues with 7.10 and I am glad they have been resolved in Hardy! Thanks for the info LaRoza.

LaRoza
March 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Excellent, I had thought everything would work, although I knew there were a couple issues with 7.10 and I am glad they have been resolved in Hardy! Thanks for the info LaRoza.

The Intel models (video, and wireless) will work with Linux fine. The graphics didn't work with Compiz (in 7.10) because of blacklisting, but they do in 8.04.

I am somewhat disappointed, because I don't use Compiz normally.

dcast
March 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I didn't go with the Intel Wireless, I have read some poor reviews of its reception and I just went with the ThinkPad a/b/g model. I understand this is an Atheros chipset and is supported by MadWifi though, so I think it will be fine.

Pekkalainen
March 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I didn't go with the Intel Wireless, I have read some poor reviews of its reception and I just went with the ThinkPad a/b/g model. I understand this is an Atheros chipset and is supported by MadWifi though, so I think it will be fine.

It is supported and works wonderfully, however if you turn it on and off with the Fn+F5 shortcut you will not be able to turn it off. Ever. That is my experience with both Ubuntu, Debian and Suse so far. All fixes I have found (scripts) have been for the Intel cards. If your specific model does not have a hardware switch (a switch instead if a key combo) I would probably go with Intel in spite of the reception issue.

This is the only issue I have with my X40 as of now.

BOBSONATOR
March 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have a T60, love it, everything works flawlessly, I LOVE THINKFINGER! best app ever

steelcap
March 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The Intel models (video, and wireless) will work with Linux fine. The graphics didn't work with Compiz (in 7.10) because of blacklisting, but they do in 8.04.

I can confirm this. I just install Hardy (8.04) on my T61 w/Intel X3100 and Compiz is working. Although it has crashed a couple of times (but it's Beta, so I'm not complaining). Seems pretty smooth

The X3100/965GM is picked up as a Generic Vesa compliant video card.

dcast
March 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
It is supported and works wonderfully, however if you turn it on and off with the Fn+F5 shortcut you will not be able to turn it off. Ever. That is my experience with both Ubuntu, Debian and Suse so far. All fixes I have found (scripts) have been for the Intel cards. If your specific model does not have a hardware switch (a switch instead if a key combo) I would probably go with Intel in spite of the reception issue.

This is the only issue I have with my X40 as of now.

Luckily the R61 has a hardware switch so this won't be a problem. Thanks for telling me your experiences.

Islington
March 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hey guys! I am so glad to see this thread! A question:

I own a x41 tablet and although I hate to admit it tablet xp is pretty good. Unfortunately I sorely start to miss ubuntu when I have to work for long periods on this machine. Is there any tablet support in linux?

era86
March 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi all!

I have a T61 wide and i'm proud of it! Does anyone have a skin tight sleeve for their computer? (T61 to be exact) I want to get one that hugs my T61 while it sits in my messenger.

Let me know. Thanks!

Kokopelli
March 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hey guys! I am so glad to see this thread! A question:

I own a x41 tablet and although I hate to admit it tablet xp is pretty good. Unfortunately I sorely start to miss ubuntu when I have to work for long periods on this machine. Is there any tablet support in linux?

The short answer is yes. Check out thinkwiki.org on how to get tablet functions working on the X41. The only Ubuntu instructions are for 6.10 but they should point you in the right direction.

I have not gotten a tablet yet but have been very happy with my X31 and my X60S.

Yes
March 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
My school recently got a $500000 grant for new technology. We're getting a Thinkpad laptop for every student in every class. I'm not sure what model they are, but they're *really* slow. I think they've only got 256 MB of RAM, so that probably has something to do with it...

They seem really solid, though. If I ever got a laptop, I would definitely consider getting a Thinkpad. Can't you get them with Linux preinstalled?

dcast
March 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
ThinkPads can come preconfigured with SLED (SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) from Novell.

LaRoza
March 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
My school recently got a $500000 grant for new technology. We're getting a Thinkpad laptop for every student in every class. I'm not sure what model they are, but they're *really* slow. I think they've only got 256 MB of RAM, so that probably has something to do with it...

They seem really solid, though. If I ever got a laptop, I would definitely consider getting a Thinkpad. Can't you get them with Linux preinstalled?

...and they are probably running Windows, with anti virus, and such.

Yes, you can get them with SUSE.

Pekkalainen
March 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Oh happy day!

I just got the LED indicating wireless state working on my X40 :D
I will post the solution here because google really need to index it!

This is how it is done;

fire up ye olde terminal and execute these commands:

sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=1

then:

sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=1

Did the LED light up?
Then make it permanent by opening sysctl.conf and paste the 2 lines at the end of it:

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf

That solved half of my only problem with this laptop. How do I make the Fn+F5 combo turn wireless on and off? :-k

Edit: Should not have cheered so much... upon second reboot (worked after first) the fix doesnt work anymore...

dcast
April 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
LaRoza, out of curiosity, how long did your R61 take to ship? On Lenovo Canada it says that they will be shipping within 2-3 weeks, although I have read about people's configurations shipping within one and then taking upwards of a week from China. Unfortunately there is no tracking with Lenovo Canada and I am hoping you could give me an estimate as to how long yours took to build and ship. Thanks,

DCast.

LaRoza
April 2nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
LaRoza, out of curiosity, how long did your R61 take to ship? On Lenovo Canada it says that they will be shipping within 2-3 weeks, although I have read about people's configurations shipping within one and then taking upwards of a week from China. Unfortunately there is no tracking with Lenovo Canada and I am hoping you could give me an estimate as to how long yours took to build and ship. Thanks,

DCast.

Sorry, I got mine from a store. Hopefully, you'll get yours will come quickly.

dcast
April 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Rats, its a shame I am so impatient... The suspense is killing me.

LaRoza
April 2nd, 2008, 03:46 AM

It is worth it. (Assuming you get it in one piece, which is likely, given that it takes a lot to break them)

I remember when I first got mine...I put it on my chair (which is black) and forgot about it and sat on it. Obviously, it wasn't damaged.

aroth87
April 2nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
I just got an R61 2 weeks ago.

2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
160 GB HDD

I had it come preloaded with SUSE since it was cheaper, but replaced that with Ubuntu immediately. Everything is working great, except my wireless disconnects itself quite a bit and I'm still working on getting connected to the wireless at school (WPA Enterprise, I just need to sit down and work it out when I get some free time).

I absolutely love it so far. The keyboard is better than my desktop's and I love being able to bring it on campus to work on reports and such.

Mine shipped fast and was to my door about a 1 week after I ordered it. I've heard horror stories about Lenovo's shipping, but my experience was great.

Adam

Edit: I'm running 7.10 and got Compiz to work fine. You just need to go and comment out the line that blacklists the X3100 card. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I saw that came up earlier in the thread and thought I would offer my input.

LaRoza
April 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Edit: I'm running 7.10 and got Compiz to work fine. You just need to go and comment out the line that blacklists the X3100 card. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I saw that came up earlier in the thread and thought I would offer my input.

Mind telling the rest of us what file this is in?

I never run Compiz for myself, but I sometimes show it to people.

It works out of the box with Hardy beta.

K.Mandla
April 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM

Maybe this one?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582112

I had the same problem with my Radeon XPress 200M: Gutsy blacklists it but Hardy enables it by default. Go figure.

aroth87
April 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM

Sure can! I didn't include it in my previous post because I couldn't remember which file it was, but a quick Google search reminded me.

sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz

Comment out the line that reads:

T="$T 8086:2982 8086:2992 8086:29a2 8086:2a02 8086:2a12" # intel 965

Everything works fine for me. I had to mess around with VLC to get it to play movies but it works fine now.

Adam

Yoooder
April 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM

HP will have:
Intel T7800 CPU
8GB of RAM
17" Display (1920x1200)
120GB Sata

Check out the Lenovo Outlet for Thinkpads on the cheap. You have to choose from the existing configurations (no customization) but I bought mine for $1100 shipped (priced at $1750 w/out shipping for a near config on the regular lenovo site).

Specs:
T61p 15.4"
WXSGA+ TFT (1680x1050)
Core 2 T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
CD/DVD-RW
Vista Home Premium
Bluetooth
2GB PC5300 RAM
256MB nVidia 570M
100GB 7200rpm HDD
Intel ABG Wireless
Verizon WAN card (internal)

hvac3901
April 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM

I didn't have alot of luck with LENOVO when i ordered my T61. There customer service leaves alot to be desired in my opinion. I had a fowled order, and they never confirmed it nor did they tell me to correct it, nothing was noted online in the order as being problematic. Well after waiting 6 weeks, i called and then they told me about the problem, OUCH so it took me like 9 weeks to get mine.

Love my Thinkpad, hated the order process.

MountainX
April 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Check out the Lenovo Outlet for Thinkpads on the cheap. You have to choose from the existing configurations (no customization) but I bought mine for $1100 shipped (priced at $1750 w/out shipping for a near config on the regular lenovo site).

Specs:
T61p 15.4"
WXSGA+ TFT (1680x1050)
Core 2 T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
CD/DVD-RW
Vista Home Premium
Bluetooth
2GB PC5300 RAM
256MB nVidia 570M
100GB 7200rpm HDD
Intel ABG Wireless
Verizon WAN card (internal)

That's a nice deal. But why is your screen only 1680x1050? Mine is 1920 x 1200.

One trick I used was to order the least amount of memory and the smallest HDD from Lenovo. Then I ordered premium RAM and a nice 7200 RPM Hitachi HDD from NewEgg and I saved a bunch of money. I ended up with 2 HDD's for less than the price of 1 through Lenovo. Plus I have my stock Windows (XP) install on the original HDD. I have Ubuntu running on the 7200 RPM HDD. (And the Windows drive sits in my closet -- it'll never see the light of day.)

8.04Linux_god
April 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Ha Im new to Linux but i plan on starting soon as ubuntu 8.04 comes out but i need a good laptop im thinking of a thinkpad please help me and tell me your opions of this laptop pros/cons please help a newbie
here are the specs:
Quantity
Part number
Description
Availability
Item price
Line total

7649CTO ThinkPad R61e - 1Yr Depot Warranty Ships within 1-2 weeks** $1,025.00
$768.75
$1,025.00
$768.75

Processor1 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2)

Operating system12 Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

Operating system language Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic US English

Display type 15.4" WXGA

System graphics Intel GMA X3100, GL960, PC Card

Total memory8 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

Keyboard Keyboard US English

Pointing device TrackPoint (TrackPoint Only)

Optical device5 CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24x/24x/24x/8x Max Combo Ultrabay Enhanced

Wireless cards10 Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Battery60 6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah )

Power cord Country Pack North America

Language pack Language Pack US English

41C9335 2 Year Depot Upgrade with 2 Year ThinkPad Protection $199.00 $199.00

Subtotal: $ 1,224.00

Sale Price: $ 967.75

Estimated total: $ 967.75*
Total savings $ 256.25
:)

matchstich
April 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM
i have a really old thinkpad 701c with the butterfly keyboard i would like to get a distro on.

dcast
April 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You might be able to get Damn Small running on the 701c, no idea how thouch since it doesn't have a CD drive? or does it?

Update on my R61: Just got an e-mail from lenovo that it shipped today and it should be here some time next week. Yeeha!

matchstich
April 11th, 2008, 03:15 AM
[QUOTE=dcast;4685648]You might be able to get Damn Small running on the 701c, no idea how thouch since it doesn't have a CD drive? or does it?

no, no cd drive , all it has is a external floppy drive,

thanks

dcast
April 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Is the external floppy bootable?

matchstich
April 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
yes, the floppy is bootable.

been playing with it to get to know it.

say it has 20 mb of ram cept i can not find disk size, only that it is type 7.

i am guessing that is the 750 mb hd.

i read where only 2 hard drives were available for it, the 530 and 750.

or something along those numbers.

thanks

tirant
April 14th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Got a T42. Installed 7.10 and it takes forever to boot to desktop. And once you log in, every app takes at least at minute to load, from xterm to everything.

I even thought it was my new HD failing (Seagate 7200rpm), but then tried FC 8 and everything booted as usual.

What could it be?

LaRoza
April 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Got a T42. Installed 7.10 and it takes forever to boot to desktop. And once you log in, every app takes at least at minute to load, from xterm to everything.

I even thought it was my new HD failing (Seagate 7200rpm), but then tried FC 8 and everything booted as usual.

What could it be?

How much RAM do you have?

Do you have the video drivers installed?

arnicainthemembrane
April 14th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I rock a T40. Got it off some sketchy guy f. Craigslist. After a year, the video card's solders cracked and I lost all video. I did however find a whole new mobo for $250, installed for free. Now I figure this arcane *** computer will last another couple of years, or until it is truly obsolete.

NOTE TO POTENTIAL THINKPAD OWNERS: I am told that the T43 has surpassed the design flaw which allows the video card solders to crack. It has something to do with the flexibility of the palm rest area.

QUESTION FOR THINKPAD OWNERS: Which thinkpad should I go for once this one loses it's ****? What' the least expensive, but the best equipped for today's world?

dcast
April 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Missed the UPS guy that has my R61 today, apparently he came to the door while I was at school, so it's going to be here tomorrow :).

tirant
April 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
How much RAM do you have?

Do you have the video drivers installed?

RAM shouldn't be a problem. Live CD is quick and fast.

Anyway: it's 512MB RAM and standard ATI driver (ok for 2D). Something similar used to happen to my old T23 Thinkpad, loading apps took forever on 6.04 or 5.10 IIRC.

intense.ego
April 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I rock a T40. Got it off some sketchy guy f. Craigslist. After a year, the video card's solders cracked and I lost all video. I did however find a whole new mobo for $250, installed for free. Now I figure this arcane *** computer will last another couple of years, or until it is truly obsolete.

NOTE TO POTENTIAL THINKPAD OWNERS: I am told that the T43 has surpassed the design flaw which allows the video card solders to crack. It has something to do with the flexibility of the palm rest area.

QUESTION FOR THINKPAD OWNERS: Which thinkpad should I go for once this one loses it's ****? What' the least expensive, but the best equipped for today's world?

The R Series is cheaper than the other models, but still has that Thinkpad build quality.

LaRoza
April 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM

R series.

My R61i has:

* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 160 GB hard disk
* 2 GB RAM
* DVD +RW
* 14.1" screen

and works perfectly with Linux. (the 'i' in "R61i" means Intel, wireless, video and processor are Intel which means it works with Linux).

dcast
April 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Coming to you guys from my new R61! UPS delivered it this morning and it is already running Ubuntu. Have to say I love the quality of it, feels much better than my old 600X. I installed 8.04 Hardy Heron and it took absolutely no effort from me, all my hardware is working perfectly as far as I can tell. Hurray!

LaRoza
April 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Coming to you guys from my new R61! UPS delivered it this morning and it is already running Ubuntu. Have to say I love the quality of it, feels much better than my old 600X. I installed 8.04 Hardy Heron and it took absolutely no effort from me, all my hardware is working perfectly as far as I can tell. Hurray!

Congratulations!

The only problem is that you are likely going to be stuck with this computer for a long time...

matchstich
April 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM
would damn small linux allow me to use the mouse?

it uses trackpoint lll for the mouse functions.

it has a joy stick in the middle of the keyboard. to move the curser

around. and two buttons for right and left click.

with no where to plug in a external mouse.

the external mouse plug in is on the

multiport ll , cept i do not have that piece.

thanks

read somewhere that this laptop was in a james bond movie.

LaRoza
April 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM
would damn small linux allow me to use the mouse?

it uses trackpoint lll for the mouse functions.

it has a joy stick in the middle of the keyboard. to move the curser

around. and two buttons for right and left click.

with no where to plug in a external mouse.

read somewhere that this laptop was in a james bond movie.

Thinkpads don't have joysticks. The Trackpoint doesn't move, it responds to pressure.

There is no USB?

The Trackpoint and touchpad work in Linux.

matchstich
April 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM
no. no usb, it is really old.

the manual talks about AT connections with the multiport ll.

cept i do not have that part. all i got with it was the external floppy drive.

and the ac adapter.

the battery is dead. needs a new one. to expensive for me right now.

has 95 on it.

does have a dial up modem.

and a infrared window to transfer files.

cept i am on cable. no land lines here

thanks

jennifer_c_richards
April 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hello :)

I received my T61p; 6457 BQG, for the technically minded. The machine has the Penryn T9500, 200gb full disk encryption, 4gb ram, Vista Ultish*t 32bit, etc.

Tried to install Etch on it with some success after I used Envy to install the Nvidia drivers, however after a botched install of Novell SLED [that wiped my Visa - very upset - but good test of the Thinkvantage utilities] I decided to give other distro's a try and after a lot of playing I found Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and am really delighted with it.

The Nvidia Quadro FX570 worked out of the box as did the Intel wireless adapter, so basically all I need to get started. Found it a little buggy [no surprise] but much better after the updates.

Only problem so far seems to be with the power management which didn't notice my battery running flat and the machine died disgracefully.

Great distro though, and coming from Debian is ideal, especially for me as I'm pretty much a newbie. I use Grub for the bootloader and I'm very happy with the Debian based distro's are good at finding the other O/S's unlike other type Distro's that can't seem to find them!

Still learning the ropes. In case your interested I've had loads of lappy's but this is my first Thinkpad, and basically I chose it after the most careful consideration, and for my money [sadly a lot of!] I don't think there's another machine that comes close to the T61p Penryn. Very happy!

Only thing is that you don't get bragging rights with the Thinkpad as it looks so dull - but on the plus side I think this makes it less nickable to the average scag-head that may want to remove it from my TLC.

So far I've had it a week and it's survived a car crash where it took the full weight of me and the seat squishing it into the dashboard, so it's pretty tough - an attribute I'd rather not have tested!

So all in all V impressed with the T61p with Ubuntu 8.04.

I love it when they work out of the box and I would recommend that distro to any T61p owners, it will find Vista and Thinkvantage and boot them both from Grub installed in the MBR - yes you loose the Blue button functionality, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some talented Grub hacker makes it work - hint, hint ;)

[ you can boot the Thinkvantage partition from Grub so you don't loose any functionality ]

Looking forward to installing Ubuntu Studio amd64 next.

Jenny

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
We have a group now. Join and be happy with the knowledge that you have the best notebooks around!

http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=45

AlphaMack
May 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Left Apple behind for a new R61i. It's still running Gutsy as I'm playing wait-and-see with Hardy (perhaps 8.04-1). ThinkWiki has been an invaluable resource in getting my machine up and running.

My only two showstoppers have to do with screensavers and Compiz-Fusion freezing the entire system.

LaRoza
May 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Left Apple behind for a new R61i. It's still running Gutsy as I'm playing wait-and-see with Hardy (perhaps 8.04-1). ThinkWiki has been an invaluable resource in getting my machine up and running.

My only two showstoppers have to do with screensavers and Compiz-Fusion freezing the entire system.

The video problems are fixed in Hardy if you have Intel graphics.

50words
May 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
My T43 died about a week ago. After waking it from suspend, I plugged in my USB mouse, and that was the end of it. I poked around the web, and it looks like it was a problem with the Intel chipset. The laptop is unusable now, which sucks, because I wanted to hand it down to my wife, whose laptop is dying a slow death due to a shaky power connector.

On the bright side, my brand-new T61 with SLED preinstalled shipped yesterday! I was pretty excited to be able to get Linux installed, and I look forward to playing with a new Linux distro.

persev
May 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
T 23 bought off of ebay. Had to replace the HD after about a year and probably a hundred distro installs. Originally got a used Cisco aironet pci card but have since replaced that with a Trendnet card with Atheros 5212 chipset.

stelloscuro
May 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I have 3 :) A T43 for home use, a T21 bulletproof travelling lappy (been around the world in the hold of a plane with luggage) and a tiny 240 destined for gps and mp3 duties in the car!

osxdude
May 9th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I've got a 4 year old R40 and it's doing very well. I have an 8.04 and Windows XP Home dual boot. No internal parts have shown signs of wearing out. Everything works great, except that there is only 256MBs of RAM in the computer and there is the Tab. left Alt, and space bar missing. It's also very dirty. Otherwise it's in good condition.

illu45
May 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM
My T61 is coming up on about 10 months now, and I'm still very impressed by it. It does everything I need and the discrete graphics card is very nice for gaming and desktop effects (nVidia FTW).

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM
My T61 is coming up on about 10 months now, and I'm still very impressed by it. It does everything I need and the discrete graphics card is very nice for gaming and desktop effects (nVidia FTW).

I hear they can last over 10 years. I use Intel graphics, so Intel FTW.

jimrz
May 9th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I hear they can last over 10 years. I use Intel graphics, so Intel FTW.

my 600x is older that that (12 I think) and still going strong, including original hdd & power connector etc. In fact, other than main power batteries (several times), the only thing I have had to replace was the cmos battery (about 2yrs ago).

Bubba64
May 9th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Since this is a think pad thread I am curious what keyboard set up people are using. I have a IBM A21m it is listed as a 76 key keyboard when I upgraded to hardy the left alt as win stopped working it is running with generic 105-key (intl) PC as the keyboard setting. I have searched for the actual keyboard set up for this computer in order to get back the left alt as win setup but have been unable to find any answer that works. This is the 3rd rendition of Hardy I ave used due to freeze ups and on all others including Gutsy the alt key set up worked.

K.Mandla
May 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Any suggestions on parts resources for Thinkpads? I have a beat-up A21e that just needs a new screen and it will be pristine. ebay seems scarce for screens, and the few available are from resellers who want $150 for one (that's one of the reasons I gave up on ebay) before shipping.

Bubba64
May 9th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Since this is a think pad thread I am curious what keyboard set up people are using. I have a IBM A21m it is listed as a 76 key keyboard when I upgraded to hardy the left alt as win stopped working it is running with generic 105-key (intl) PC as the keyboard setting. I have searched for the actual keyboard set up for this computer in order to get back the left alt as win setup but have been unable to find any answer that works. This is the 3rd rendition of Hardy I ave used due to freeze ups and on all others including Gutsy the alt key set up worked.

Yipee I found the answer it was the IBM Thinkpad 560Z/600/600E/A22E, intl.
I have the 2 key gnome do access back.

Whiffle
May 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Any suggestions on parts resources for Thinkpads? I have a beat-up A21e that just needs a new screen and it will be pristine. ebay seems scarce for screens, and the few available are from resellers who want $150 for one (that's one of the reasons I gave up on ebay) before shipping.

Why not just buy the whole thing and have a whole bunch of parts? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-ThinkPad-A21e-Pentium-Laptop-Internet-Ready-NICE_W0QQitemZ330234303873QQihZ014QQcategoryZ177QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dragonbite
May 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Is a Thinkpad really worth the extra cost? And is it fully compatible with Linux or does it still take some hunting-and-pecking for restricted drivers and such?

I'm getting a Thinkpad from work, but I am not allowed to install Linux or anything like that on it (and the entire hard drive is being encrypted so I am not fooling around with it).

jimrz
May 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Is a Thinkpad really worth the extra cost? And is it fully compatible with Linux or does it still take some hunting-and-pecking for restricted drivers and such?

I'm getting a Thinkpad from work, but I am not allowed to install Linux or anything like that on it (and the entire hard drive is being encrypted so I am not fooling around with it).

Both of mine have been and still are worth it. TP's, in general, are very linux friendly , although which wifi and video card options you choose determine if you will need restricted drivers. For example my T42 has:

IBM a/b/g mini pci - Atheros 5212 chipset - works out of the box using the madwifi driver

ATI Radeon mobility 9600 vid - also works out of the box with the open driver, but requires the restricted driver if you want to run desktop effects.

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Extra cost? If they are not, then Macs are totally out of the question ;)

ThinkPads start at $536.25 according to the Lenovo site, and that computer is pretty good.

Plus, they all are robust. They are very strong and will take a beating although I don't recommend one intentionally beat their Thinkpad.

In addition, the ones with Intel hardware work perfectly with Linux as far as I can tell. Wireless, video, and the trackpad and Trackpoint.

The non Intel models do work with Linux also, but often require enabling the driver for the video I think.

Thinkpads were the first notebooks to have Linux support from the company.

They are worth every penny and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My specs (R61i):

Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
160 GB hard disk
DVD +RW
PC Card slot, three USB (not all on one side), VGA and ethernet.

For less than 1000 USC, that is pretty good, no?

Whiffle
May 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Not to mention, thinkpads have some very handy features that may seem like gimmicks when you're reading the specs, but they do come in handy from time to time. Things like:

ultrabay hot swappable drive bays, you can put in a battery, extra hard drive, cd/dvd...

thinklight. Its this little light at the top of the screen that lights up your keyboard, its nice if you're working in the dark. Also works great as an IM indicator with the pidgin-thinklight plugin.

keyboard with drain holes... need I say more?

HDAPS- hard drive active protection system. If you have it running, it parks your hard drive if it detects that the laptop is falling. Also handy for playing games and other goofy things since the accelerometers also have a joystick output

tp_smapi - its a linux module that lets you access more about the battery system, including setting charging thresholds to keep your battery happy.

Yeah, I like my thinkpad.... heck I got it used too.

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
thinklight. Its this little light at the top of the screen that lights up your keyboard, its nice if you're working in the dark. Also works great as an IM indicator with the pidgin-thinklight plugin.

I thought that was cheesy when I read about it, but it is very effective when using it in the dark. Not that I look at the keyboard.

Dragonbite
May 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Not to mention, thinkpads have some very handy features that may seem like gimmicks when you're reading the specs, but they do come in handy from time to time. Things like:

ultrabay hot swappable drive bays, you can put in a battery, extra hard drive, cd/dvd...

keyboard with drain holes... need I say more?

HDAPS- hard drive active protection system. If you have it running, it parks your hard drive if it detects that the laptop is falling. Also handy for playing games and other goofy things since the accelerometers also have a joystick output

tp_smapi - its a linux module that lets you access more about the battery system, including setting charging thresholds to keep your battery happy.

Yeah, I like my thinkpad.... heck I got it used too.Oh, I didn't know about the light, that is sooo cool! (even with Windows XP).

regomodo
May 9th, 2008, 08:24 PM
just bought a used 570 off ebay for £12. Not bothered if it doesn't boot as I need it for spares on my 570e. Hinge is worn, broken top plastic, and screen has a weird dark patch.

aniepras
May 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I’m purchasing a T61 15” widescreen today. So should I get the SLED version or Windows with a slightly better network card, about $50 more, and a week off the expected ship date? I intend to put ubuntu on it either way.

71CH
May 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
My new R61 is coming next week with Opensuse on it. Should I keep that or put Ubuntu? Any problems on the R with Ubuntu?

illu45
May 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Laptop screens tend to be very expensive (mostly due to lack of demand). As Whiffle pointed out, I would recommend getting a used one off of eBay, and possibly salvaging the screen if something else doesn't work.

illu45
May 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM

I'd say so. The Thinkpad premium isn't very much at all (although Lenovo doesn't have very cheap basic computers, their prices for mid- and high-range laptops are fairly competitive) and I have heard that they tend to last a very long time. I had a Dell Inspiron that had cracks and broken keys after just two years of use (no accidental damage, just wear and tear), so I'm willing to pay a bit more to make sure that the laptop doesn't get worn out before the parts inside it do.

adi_8079
May 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Got a T61p with these specs:
Intel Core2Duo T9300
nVidia QuadroFx 570M
4Gb Ram (actually 3.8 due to hardware limitation)
160Gb HDD 7200rpm
WiFi 4965agn
Bluetooth

The bad is that I can't get suspend work properly :( Has anyone found a solution to this?

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I’m purchasing a T61 15” widescreen today. So should I get the SLED version or Windows with a slightly better network card, about $50 more, and a week off the expected ship date? I intend to put ubuntu on it either way.

Whatever one you want. If the Windows versions network card is easily used in Leinux (and the video) you could get that one instead. The fingerprint readers for the newest Thinkpads use a new vendor and do not work (as far as I know) in Linux well yet.

My new R61 is coming next week with Opensuse on it. Should I keep that or put Ubuntu? Any problems on the R with Ubuntu?

Dual boot? No problems with Linux.

Jordanwb
May 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I have a T21

Intel Pentium 3 @ 800Mhz
256 MB RAM PC100
20GB Hard drive
Savage S3 video chip with 4 MB of RAM
DVD-ROM

I had problems with Ubuntu 7.10 when it would stall during boot up but I don't have the problem with 8.04. Other than that I haven't had any problems.

[Edit] I just noticed I contradicted myself.

K.Mandla
May 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Why not just buy the whole thing and have a whole bunch of parts? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-ThinkPad-A21e-Pentium-Laptop-Internet-Ready-NICE_W0QQitemZ330234303873QQihZ014QQcategoryZ177QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Laptop screens tend to be very expensive (mostly due to lack of demand). As Whiffle pointed out, I would recommend getting a used one off of eBay, and possibly salvaging the screen if something else doesn't work.
That'll probably be what happens. I thought perhaps there was something like parts-people.com (http://parts-people.com/) for Thinkpads.

gameryoshi600
May 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I got an IBM thinkpad t40

Taoye
May 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I just ordered a new X61s off of eBay that should arrive here by friday. After upgrading bios I plan on wiping off Vista to make room for Ubuntu... we'll see how it goes :-D

ssam
May 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
just got an X31 off ebay for £150. works great.

50words
May 14th, 2008, 01:47 AM
My new ThinkPad arrived today, and WOW, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! It is HUGE! There is at least an inch of wasted space on all sides. The trackpad is tiny--it is smaller than my previous ThinkPad, and nearly useless. It is big, heavy, and will not fit in any of my computer bags.

I will happy pay the $232 restocking fee to send this brick back to Lenovo, and Lenovo has lost a customer today, not because of their service, which is fantastic, but because of the poor product.

jimrz
May 14th, 2008, 03:21 AM
My new ThinkPad arrived today, and WOW, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! It is HUGE! There is at least an inch of wasted space on all sides. The trackpad is tiny--it is smaller than my previous ThinkPad, and nearly useless. It is big, heavy, and will not fit in any of my computer bags.

I will happy pay the $232 restocking fee to send this brick back to Lenovo, and Lenovo has lost a customer today, not because of their service, which is fantastic, but because of the poor product.

what model is that?

LaRoza
May 14th, 2008, 03:27 AM

Perhaps you weren't looking for a thinkpad like computer? The strength and durability of the Thinkpad are probably the cause of the size that you don't like. Remember, the screen doesn't flex and the motherboard won't be bending. I have seen lighter laptops that felt like paper compared my Thinkpad.

50words
May 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Perhaps you weren't looking for a thinkpad like computer? The strength and durability of the Thinkpad are probably the cause of the size that you don't like. Remember, the screen doesn't flex and the motherboard won't be bending. I have seen lighter laptops that felt like paper compared my Thinkpad.

My T42 was near-perfect. This is far from it. But I guess the beautiful hardware is why you spend the dough for a Mac. Save $1,000, get a brick.

Compucore
May 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I'm running a r32 over here with a gig of ram and a 120 gig drive on it. and a dvd player on it.

hvac3901
May 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM

See thats strange my thinkpad rocks, but the service and five month lead time, Dont ask, SUCKED. My story is vice versa.

everythingsused
May 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have an i1300! Built in 99-00ish and still works like a charm; it's in way better condition than my 4 year-old HP laptop. Granted, it's not fast but it does the job for browsing, paper writing and programming.

Lostincyberspace
May 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
think pad 600 200 MHz runs wmii fine. no sound yet though and the sound does not work.

archer6
May 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Greetings,

New Ubuntu user here. Just finished getting my ThinkPad R51e set-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon. The install went really well, I had a CD with the OS on it. Simply booted from it, and chose install. The only problem I had was with the Wi-Fi. After a few tweaks I finally got it working really well.

I used my most basic ThinkPad to test Ubuntu and Linux in general to see if I would like it. Here's the very modest configuration of my 14" R51e: 1.5 GHz Celeron, 768 MB ram, 40GB 4200rpm HD. ! About as basic as you can get. In fact when I purchased it, the idea was to buy the least expensive ThinkPad laptop so I could just toss it in my backpack for weekend use no matter where I was. Therefore saving my prize T60p from being damaged. At that time I had no idea I would be putting Linux on it a year later.

Speed!.... now here is the shocker (at least for me) with a measly 1.5 Celeron, and 768 of shared memory, this baby is really fast! Even when running disk intensive Firefox on this slow 40GB 4200 rpm HD.

Now that I have it up, running and stable, it's on to learn what the heck I'm doing.......:)

sajro
May 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm really wanting an R61i, or if I can scrounge up the money, a T6* or such. I'm getting a laptop (definitely a ThinkPad) next year for high school. I will put Arch on it with my favourite things like Openbox, FF3/{Midori|NetSurf}, OOo, VLC, etc.

How's the battery life under Linux? Does CPU throttling help?

archer6
May 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm really wanting an R61i, or if I can scrounge up the money, a T6* or such. How's the battery life under Linux? Does CPU throttling help?

I find the battery life very good. No need to mess with the CPU, especially with a low powered one such as this. I have a lot of ThinkPad experience as I've been using them as my main computer for the last ten years. So if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. Here are the ones I have experience with.

My ThinkPads: 600, 600x | T20, 21, 22, 23 | T30 | T40, 41, 42p, 43 | R51 | Z60m | X60s | T60 | T60p

Cheers

Ub1476
May 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I really want a Thinkpad.. Might buy one in July. How light are they? Good quiet fans and cool computers? Screen is okay? Matte? Anyone know if some will come out with Intel Atom maybe?

decoherence
May 23rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
My main computer is an x30. Yes, it's slow by today's standards but it is and always has been trouble-free.

I bought an Averatec 2370 to replace it but I mainly use it for Blender because of its sheer speed. I still prefer the x30 for everything else. I bought it used for $800 a year or two after it came out.

Over the years I max'd the RAM and replaced the whiny Fujitsu drive with a quiet Seagate one. Been running like a champ since!

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
How light are they? Good quiet fans and cool computers? Screen is okay? Matte? Anyone know if some will come out with Intel Atom maybe?
ThinkPads are the finest laptops money can buy. Believe me I've had Dell, HP, Compaq, Asus, Avertec, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Sony, Apple, Gateway, NEC, Panasonic, Sager, Sharp, and nothing comes close to a ThinkPad.

They are very quite, cool, fast, stable, with excellent matte displays, the best full size keyboard ever, long battery life and a terrific service record. I deploy nearly 200 in the company I founded over a decade ago and would not consider anything else period.

zmjjmz
May 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I'm getting my Mom's T42 when her new fancy schmancy T61 arrives in a week or so. I'll also be able to connect my T20 to the interwebz when I get that D-Link wifi card from Amazon.
Happy days.
EDIT: I also have a 1997~6 IBM Thinkpad 560 (not listed on the poll), with 40MB RAM (a lot to me >.>), 233MHz Proc, and a 2GB HDD. Due to the lack of a built in CD-ROM, I may have to result to removing the HDD and installing DSL to it on another computer. It currently runs BasicLinux, but that is meant for computers that are _way_ older.

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm getting my Mom's T42 when her new fancy schmancy T61 arrives in a week or so.

The T42 was and is, one of my all time favorite ThinkPads. I still have mine, and it's a real gem. A bit lighter than the T43 & T60 series, the T42's were exceptional. Take good care of that one, and enjoy!

Cheers

zmjjmz
May 23rd, 2008, 03:29 AM
As it turns out, Ubuntu will work _perfectly_ on that T42 (wireless and all, this one has the Intel wireless).

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
As it turns out, Ubuntu will work _perfectly_ on that T42 (wireless and all, this one has the Intel wireless).

I'm too new to Ubuntu to know if it will work on my T60?
If so, I'm ready, as the R51e was just a test to see if I would like it and I'm very enthusiastic now.

My T60 config:
2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Intel WiFi, ATI X1400 128MB graphics card.
Please advise if you think this will work.

Thanks
Archer

nabl
May 23rd, 2008, 05:08 AM
I'm too new to Ubuntu to know if it will work on my T60?
If so, I'm ready, as the R51e was just a test to see if I would like it and I'm very enthusiastic now.

My T60 config:
2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Intel WiFi, ATI X1400 128MB graphics card.
Please advise if you think this will work.

Thanks
ArcherThat should work with a little bit of configuration. :)

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is an entire website devoted to Linux on Thinkpads, called ThinkWiki (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki). There is a section for the T60 (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60) that you have, and it looks like the only potential problem you'll have is with the graphics card (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_X1400) (and even that should work well). Here is a guide for (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_8.04_%28Hardy_Heron%29_on_a_Thin kPad_T60)installing Hardy Heron (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_8.04_%28Hardy_Heron%29_on_a_Thin kPad_T60) on the T60.

Also, this is my first post in this thread. I have an old Thinkpad 380ED with a Pentium MMX 167 MHz Processor, 3 GB hard drive, and 60 MB of RAM. All I've had to do is replace the BIOS battery--not bad for such an old laptop! I have it running Debian with Openbox and some lightweight applications. Some take a while to start up (PCManFM, Abiword, and others), but that's my fault for picking the large alternatives. I don't use it much at all (it's mainly an experimental linux laptop), so I didn't mind having some larger applications. I opted for Debian over Puppy, DSL, and others so that I could start from scratch. Still, there's a good bit of bloat in Debian that I wasn't fully aware of at the time. Perhaps I'll do Linux From Scratch on it this summer when I have more time.

In addition to that, I've been looking at Thinkpads for a while now... I'm undecided between a T61 and a Macbook. I really like both designs; the Macbook is much simpler and more elegant, while the Thinkpad is much more rugged and durable (and still elegant in its own way). I also enjoy OS X (with its UNIX underpinnings, it's similar to Linux), which I would boot alongside Arch Linux or Ubuntu (the Thinkpad would be Linux-only :)). Very tough decision... :confused: I'll see what happens at Macworld and what happens with the new line of Intel processors.

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
That should work with a little bit of configuration. :)

I don't know if you've seen it yet,

In addition to that, I've been looking at ThinkPads for a while now... I'm undecided between a T61 and a MacBook.
Thanks for all the great links and info!
No I have not seen that ThinkPad specific site you linked so that's going to be a great read for me.

Regarding ThinkPads vs MacBook here is where I may be able to help you.
Short history, I've been using a laptop as my main computer for a decade.

In that period I have had these ThinkPads:
My ThinkPads: 600, 600x | T20, 21, 22, 23 | T30 | T40, 41, 42p, 43 | R51 | Z60m | X60s | T60 | T60p | X300

In that same period I have had these Apple Laptops:
My Apples: PowerBook: 140 | 180c | 540c | 3400 | G3 | G4 | G4 1GHz DVI | G4 17" | MacBook Pro | MacBook | MacBook Pro |

I'm a big Advocate of ThinkPads, while not quite as pleased with Apples. The main reason is that ThinkPads consistently have much better build quality. While Apples look stunning, as the design is very beautiful it's what's under the skin that causes problems. Some models have been very close to the perfect image that Apple portrays. For example my 2002 PowerBook G4 1GHZ Superdrive machine had a very good keyboard, not quite as good as a ThinkPad but very good for an Apple. It had a good display, battery life, and OS X. If is not for Leopard, I would not have a MBP now. I just purchased the latest Model of MBP the one with the new Penryn Chip, and the LED back light. Before the purchase at the Apple store I explained that I wanted to use it to run BootCamp and XP Pro SP3 so that I could run Outlook and BlackBerry Desktop Manager. They assured me that would be no problem, especially since I added 4GB memory.

So I set it up and found that when booting out of XP to Leopard, the clock would reset itself one day and 7 hours ahead. When I corrected it in Leopard then booted into XP, the same thing occurred requiring me to reset the calendar and clock again. Apple tech support said nothing could be done but I could buy VMware or Parallels and that would fix it. Well I didn't want to run a virtual machine environment but caved in, so that I could run Outlook which I must do for business. After installing VMware the clock problem was fixed. Whew! Now I can use my new MBP.....WRONG! Why?

Because there is a KNOWN problem that again I was not told about. I travel in my business and meet clients at Starbucks. I use their WiFi constantly as well as having WiFi at home and at the Office. Well, the MBP will not stay connected and drop outs are common place. It's well documented all over the net, however I had no idea prior to experiencing it. I took my 3 day old MBP back to the Apple store, they claimed they never heard of it and gave me a new computer. OK.... so I try that one....same problem. At that point the "Genius" at the bar suggests a Black Mac Book as it's plastic as we know, as opposed to aluminium and he says they are not having a problem. Long story short a week and 2 MacBooks later, same problem. I was so incredibly frustrated at the loss of time and that I could not use one. I really like Leopard and OS X in general and the fact that they have had this WiFi issue, for over TWO years! That's what my research revealed. So I'm certainly not bashing Apple, but providing a true report so as to hopefully save someone else from the same fate.

Conversely, I've had nothing but really great results from ThinkPads, not only on a personal basis but I have deployed 100's of them in the high-tech company that I founded over a decade ago. When you buy a ThinkPad, you are buying into a very reliable platform with a long history of corporate usage. The web site alone, provides so much info, drivers, tutorials, service videos, you name it. It's vast, comprehensive and everything you want is there. Including all the info on the older models, as IBM still provides the support even though Lenovo has it's name on the machines. It remains a IBM/Lenovo partnership of sorts. I have never been let down my a ThinkPad and they are continuing that tradition with the Lenovo transition. Many people ask... are the Lenovo ThinkPads as good as the IBM ones... to which I say absolutely. I have compared them very carefully and they are doing a very good job.

Finally there is a completely new line coming out, one of which is already here and that is the X300. The line-up will be as follows:

1) X200 12"
2) X300 13"
3) X400 14"
4) X500 15"

I have an X300 and it's fantastic, the first quantum leap in design for some time. Built quality is vault like. The legendary keyboard is there, the display is brilliant, and the overall experience is exemplary. The very moment the X500 is released I will have one of those as I do like as much display area as possible as I'm a designer / creator / software engineer.

Hope this info helps you.

Cheers!

via my Ubuntu ThinkPad....:)

DeliriousNor
May 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have a thinkpad x41 tablet that I use with Ubuntu! The computer is great, allthough maybe a little outdated. After all it works great with ubuntu. Haven't tried to setup the tablet screen yet.

The x300 looks amazing, but the x41 still works great. When this one gets toasted or gets to slow I will probably buy a new thinkpad. It's the best of the best!

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have a thinkpad x41 tablet that I use with Ubuntu! The computer is great, allthough maybe a little outdated. After all it works great with ubuntu.

I look at it this way, if your ThinkPad is working for you then it's _not_ outdated....:)

There just happens to be newer models, however newer is _not_ always better. I do have one tip for you, since memory is so inexpensive now depending on how much you have in your X41, you may want to ad more. Especially with the architecture of the X series, I have found they respond really well to more memory, no matter what the processor speed.

Me? Sheesh...I'm too sick, too far gone, out of warranty, a ThinkPad Addict....:shock:

Cheers!

Ub1476
May 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
ThinkPads are the finest laptops money can buy. Believe me I've had Dell, HP, Compaq, Asus, Avertec, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Sony, Apple, Gateway, NEC, Panasonic, Sager, Sharp, and nothing comes close to a ThinkPad.

They are very quite, cool, fast, stable, with excellent matte displays, the best full size keyboard ever, long battery life and a terrific service record. I deploy nearly 200 in the company I founded over a decade ago and would not consider anything else period.

Thanks! Expect me to ask in the forums for ThinkPad suggestions!

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks! Expect me to ask in the forums for ThinkPad suggestions!
Sounds good! Please do not hesitate to take advantage of all the ThinkPad experience I have.

I'm eager to give back here in the forum as for me, that's what it's all about. It's how I got up and running quickly with Ubuntu, a few posts answered by some members here took care of the issues I needed guidance on and I'm set! Now it's a matter of studying all the great info, and links that people here have provided.

Cheers.....:)

DeliriousNor
May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I look at it this way, if your ThinkPad is working for you then it's _not_ outdated....:)

There just happens to be newer models, however newer is _not_ always better. I do have one tip for you, since memory is so inexpensive now depending on how much you have in your X41, you may want to ad more. Especially with the architecture of the X series, I have found they respond really well to more memory, no matter what the processor speed.

Me? Sheesh...I'm too sick, too far gone, out of warranty, a ThinkPad Addict....:shock:

Cheers!

Thanks for the fast reply:D I have already added more memory to mye Thinkpad and it currently has 1,5 gb of ram. I am pretty sure that is highest amount of ram it supports, I am not a 100 % sure though. Does anybody know? I got the model with 1,5 ghz prosessor so I do not know how much ram that would be reasonable in combination with a 1,5 ghz processor.

archer6
May 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the fast reply:D I have already added more memory to mye Thinkpad and it currently has 1,5 gb of ram. I am pretty sure that is highest amount of ram it supports, I am not a 100 % sure though. Does anybody know? I got the model with 1,5 ghz prosessor so I do not know how much ram that would be reasonable in combination with a 1,5 ghz processor.

The X41 provides much better performance than your average ultraportable due to the fact it has a low-voltage 1.50 GHz Pentium M that uses the latest Intel 915 chipset. According to Intel there's about a 10% performance gain from the older 855 chipset. It also supports and takes advantage of a full 2GB ram.

The hard drive speed of 4200RPM is often pointed to as being too slow. And the problem with the hard drive size on the X41 (1.8") is that there is no upgrading to a faster hard drive. With _extra_ RAM_ that will provide _less need to hit the hard drive_, you'll be able to overcome performance issues, and with the included processor, the speed increase by installing a total of 2GB of ram is astounding.

It's important to know that by having a pair (same capacity, and speed) of 1GB Ram modules, the computer will run at it's fastest and utilize the full 2GB. Whereas with a 1GB module and a 512MB module as you have now the "actual" performance is equivalent to about 1.1GM of ram. All due to the way the processor "sees" and manages the available memory. So you are actually slowing the performance with mis matched ram.

DDR2-PC4200 is the proper spec ram for your machine. Thus you can easily remove the 512 module, and replace it with a 1GB module for just $21.99. You would then be enjoying the fastest speed from your lapotp.

This is Crucial memory which is top of the line and on sale here: Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145097)

I run this setup in my X41 and it's fantastic.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

nabl
May 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the great links and info!
No I have not seen that ThinkPad specific site you linked so that's going to be a great read for me.

Regarding ThinkPads vs MacBook here is where I may be able to help you.
Short history, I've been using a laptop as my main computer for a decade.

In that period I have had these ThinkPads:
My ThinkPads: 600, 600x | T20, 21, 22, 23 | T30 | T40, 41, 42p, 43 | R51 | Z60m | X60s | T60 | T60p | X300

In that same period I have had these Apple Laptops:
My Apples: PowerBook: 140 | 180c | 540c | 3400 | G3 | G4 | G4 1GHz DVI | G4 17" | MacBook Pro | MacBook | MacBook Pro |

I'm a big Advocate of ThinkPads, while not quite as pleased with Apples. The main reason is that ThinkPads consistently have much better build quality. While Apples look stunning, as the design is very beautiful it's what's under the skin that causes problems. Some models have been very close to the perfect image that Apple portrays. For example my 2002 PowerBook G4 1GHZ Superdrive machine had a very good keyboard, not quite as good as a ThinkPad but very good for an Apple. It had a good display, battery life, and OS X. If is not for Leopard, I would not have a MBP now. I just purchased the latest Model of MBP the one with the new Penryn Chip, and the LED back light. Before the purchase at the Apple store I explained that I wanted to use it to run BootCamp and XP Pro SP3 so that I could run Outlook and BlackBerry Desktop Manager. They assured me that would be no problem, especially since I added 4GB memory.

So I set it up and found that when booting out of XP to Leopard, the clock would reset itself one day and 7 hours ahead. When I corrected it in Leopard then booted into XP, the same thing occurred requiring me to reset the calendar and clock again. Apple tech support said nothing could be done but I could buy VMware or Parallels and that would fix it. Well I didn't want to run a virtual machine environment but caved in, so that I could run Outlook which I must do for business. After installing VMware the clock problem was fixed. Whew! Now I can use my new MBP.....WRONG! Why?

Because there is a KNOWN problem that again I was not told about. I travel in my business and meet clients at Starbucks. I use their WiFi constantly as well as having WiFi at home and at the Office. Well, the MBP will not stay connected and drop outs are common place. It's well documented all over the net, however I had no idea prior to experiencing it. I took my 3 day old MBP back to the Apple store, they claimed they never heard of it and gave me a new computer. OK.... so I try that one....same problem. At that point the "Genius" at the bar suggests a Black Mac Book as it's plastic as we know, as opposed to aluminium and he says they are not having a problem. Long story short a week and 2 MacBooks later, same problem. I was so incredibly frustrated at the loss of time and that I could not use one. I really like Leopard and OS X in general and the fact that they have had this WiFi issue, for over TWO years! That's what my research revealed. So I'm certainly not bashing Apple, but providing a true report so as to hopefully save someone else from the same fate.

Conversely, I've had nothing but really great results from ThinkPads, not only on a personal basis but I have deployed 100's of them in the high-tech company that I founded over a decade ago. When you buy a ThinkPad, you are buying into a very reliable platform with a long history of corporate usage. The web site alone, provides so much info, drivers, tutorials, service videos, you name it. It's vast, comprehensive and everything you want is there. Including all the info on the older models, as IBM still provides the support even though Lenovo has it's name on the machines. It remains a IBM/Lenovo partnership of sorts. I have never been let down my a ThinkPad and they are continuing that tradition with the Lenovo transition. Many people ask... are the Lenovo ThinkPads as good as the IBM ones... to which I say absolutely. I have compared them very carefully and they are doing a very good job.

Finally there is a completely new line coming out, one of which is already here and that is the X300. The line-up will be as follows:

1) X200 12"
2) X300 13"
3) X400 14"
4) X500 15"

I have an X300 and it's fantastic, the first quantum leap in design for some time. Built quality is vault like. The legendary keyboard is there, the display is brilliant, and the overall experience is exemplary. The very moment the X500 is released I will have one of those as I do like as much display area as possible as I'm a designer / creator / software engineer.

Hope this info helps you.

Cheers!

via my Ubuntu ThinkPad....:)Thanks for all the information. I will certainly keep those points in mind in the future... Perhaps when I'm truly ready to make the decision (as I said, I'm going to wait a little longer), I'll ask you some more specific questions.

I was aware of the wireless issues with the Macbook Pros (mainly reception rather than dropouts) in comparison to the regular Macbooks; however, I haven't heard of anything this critical. Of course, for the other problem, I don't plan on using Windows at all (I don't now), so the clock issue wouldn't be a problem (unless Linux did the same thing, which I doubt it would).

zachtib
May 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
So, i originally voted "R series" but now I have a T61p, and it's awesome. 100% linux supported :D

LaRoza
May 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
So, i originally voted "R series" but now I have a T61p, and it's awesome. 100% linux supported :D

Sorry, you voted R and you can only use R from now on. Please relinguish the T61p to me now.

Joeb454
May 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I just noticed the last option in the poll, so I had to vote :p

I don't own one (may do in the future, who knows) and I like the poll's ;)

LaRoza
May 24th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I just noticed the last option in the poll, so I had to vote :p

I don't own one (may do in the future, who knows) and I like the poll's ;)

People who don't own one by definition want one.

52rockwell
May 24th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have an old a21p. I use it in a dusty, humid machine shop and it is unstopable.
Thinkpads were the first toughbooks.

Lord Xeb
May 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I own an IBM T43 Model 2669

specs:
CPU: Pentium M 1.86GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon X300
RAM: 1.5GB
HDD: 40GB

legolas_w
May 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hi

Does any of you use your Thinkpad for developing applications?
Specially J2EE based applications?

What are thinkpad benefits over Dell and HP?

Thanks

Ub1476
May 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Been looking at the x300. From Amazon it`s 2,700$, but from Lenovo it`s 3,000+. Why is that? I can`t configure it without shopping from Lenovo though, can I?

I think I don`t need the DVD drive (only use it to install Linux), but maybe a 6 cell battery. Is it sticking out, worth the extra money?

Is it possible to buy a laptop without an OS (Windows) and don`t need to pay for the license? I know Lenovo already sells some laptops with SUSE.

I`ve read the the x300 fans is a bit noisy too. But it`s very cool (50C)? I had an old Fujitsu which were at 60-70C and fan was very noisy. The last thing I want is such a laptop..

I will probably purchase a Thinkpad in July, from Texas, Houston. Is there any news if a new (ultra)portable (like x300) will be released at that time?

Thanks for your help:)

Dragonbite
May 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM
If Thinkpads are Lenovo's business laptop, does anybody know if their consumer-orientated laptop includes such nice amenities ad the keyboard drip pan?

I'm curious as to what features they remove between the two and if it is worth to even look at those.

archer6
May 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
If Thinkpads are Lenovo's business laptop, does anybody know if their consumer-orientated laptop includes such nice amenities ad the keyboard drip pan?

----------
While it's true that the primary focus of ThinkPads used to be expensive, corp business laptops. Over the last several years the pricing has dropped. Now the R-series are available from $500 & up. They feature the same high quality keyboard, build quality & other high quality components as the more expensive models. Yes they also have the drains in the event of a spill over the keyboard. This pricing is due to Lenovo' huge sales volume. I can attest to the quality & it's the best. Even better than that of my MacBook Pro.

Regarding Lenovo's other line I have no experience with those & see no point as they are as expensive and somtimes higher than the ThinkPad line.

darksider415
May 28th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I have an R61 and I'm sold on ThinkPads. My Toshiba may have been a decent machine, but it and the PowerBook kept overheating, while my R61 hasn't even hit 50C, yet.

Best laptop I've ever owned, by a long shot.

71CH
May 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi I have a question that's a bit off topic. I'm going to Korea for the summer and was wondering if my R61 needs a transformer/voltage converter. I know I need the adaptor plug but was hoping I wouldn't need a converter because the computer is from China/Asia and I was thinking the adaptor it comes with can handle it. Anybody know?

IvanIvan
June 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
hello everyone!

T60p owner here.

archer6
June 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Does any of you use your Thinkpad for developing applications?

What are thinkpad benefits over Dell and HP?

I have used ThinkPads for a decade. I use my ThinkPad T60p for 3D design, animation, modeling and rendering, the p series are IBM/Lenovo's designation for workstation class laptops. I use Autodesk Maya, and Inventor applications. This resource intensive work that a Dell simply could not handle, or at least for very long. The Dell product line is a line of mostly consumer based laptops, and the ones that are designed to handle business tasks are more oriented to your average set of apps like MS Office, etc. Nothing against Dell, but they simply cannot measure up. ThinkPads have full size keyboards that are very robust, have very comfortable solid build quality and keys that are designed for those who touch type. The system boards, the hard drives, pci boards, everything about them is top of the line. There is simply no comparison. When it comes to support they have a vast array of drivers, and other software components that go back as far as ten years. When you buy a ThinkPad it's designed to last a very long time. The structural rigidity is beyond what any other laptop offers. These are very strong, durable and made from the finest materials. No cheap weak plastics to crack, or distort. BIOS updates are regularly available where I recently read there is a class action lawsuit against HP, as they have no provisions for updating the BIOS as well as some other critical software elements. If you go to Lenovo online and read about ThinkPads you will come away with an entirely different perspective and a new appreciation for these world class business machines.

archer6
June 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Sounds like perhaps it was chosen in haste, without looking at the specs. I have a ThinkPad that only weighs 2.7 lbs, is less than an inch thick and has great battery life.

As far as track pad size, I have found that the reason it's not _giant sized_ is because it's of such high quality that it is very efficient and one does not have to move a finger 3 or 4 inches to get it to respond. It is very accurate and responds immediately. To judge any laptop the moment it's taken out of the packaging and only used for one day, then claim it's a poor product suggests more about the way it's being evaluated, than the truth about the product, no matter what brand. Somehow I think that when one looks around to see all the fortune 500 hundred companies that rely on ThinkPads, as well as so many other businesses, they must have something going for them. They have been the gold standard in business before Dell or HP even thought of having laptops made by ODM mfgs for them.

50words
June 6th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Attacking the individual is always a good way to make your point.

More on my assessment: http://solosmalltech.com/index.php/2008/05/16/ibm-lenovo-thinkpads-then-and-now/

archer6
June 6th, 2008, 01:46 AM
My new ThinkPad arrived today, and WOW, what a DISAPPOINTMENT! It is HUGE! It is big, heavy, and will not fit in any of my computer bags.
Why would this be a surprise if one reads the specs of the machine they are ordering? And why would the response be so negative and strong? The size, and weight are facts clearly stated for all to read. Prior to decision making and ordering.

There is at least an inch of wasted space on all sides.
This is either an assumption, or an opinion that the engineers had no clue of what they were doing. Just because there was a link provided written by another person in agreement is meaningless, as every one has different preferences, which does not mean a certain product is "a poor product".

The track pad is tiny--it is smaller than my previous ThinkPad, and nearly useless.
Track pad size is clearly visible in the images of the product. How can one determine it's nearly useless without giving it a chance?

This condescending labeling "brick", because the specs were not read by the buyer, therefor the "surprise", seems like an over-reaction.

How could this discussion of a product, based on another's sharing of thoughts and observations which is a normal forum dialog, possibly be misconstrued as a personal attack? Seems truly confusing.

It is duly noted to always agree with you, in order to avoid being targeted. My humble apologies for participating.

LaRoza
June 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I have used ThinkPads for a decade. I use my ThinkPad T60p for 3D design, animation, modeling and rendering, the p series are IBM/Lenovo's designation for workstation class laptops. I use Autodesk Maya, and Inventor applications. This resource intensive work that a Dell simply could not handle, or at least for very long. The Dell product line is a line of mostly consumer based laptops, and the ones that are designed to handle business tasks are more oriented to your average set of apps like MS Office, etc. Nothing against Dell, but they simply cannot measure up. ThinkPads have full size keyboards that are very robust, have very comfortable solid build quality and keys that are designed for those who touch type. The system boards, the hard drives, pci boards, everything about them is top of the line. There is simply no comparison. When it comes to support they have a vast array of drivers, and other software components that go back as far as ten years. When you buy a ThinkPad it's designed to last a very long time. The structural rigidity is beyond what any other laptop offers. These are very strong, durable and made from the finest materials. No cheap weak plastics to crack, or distort. BIOS updates are regularly available where I recently read there is a class action lawsuit against HP, as they have no provisions for updating the BIOS as well as some other critical software elements. If you go to Lenovo online and read about ThinkPads you will come away with an entirely different perspective and a new appreciation for these world class business machines.

Not to mention their support for Linux, their keyboards that are made to resist spills and are widely considered the best keyboards, the fact the motherboard and screen won't be flexing, and the ease of use.

archer6
June 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Not to mention their support for Linux, their keyboards that are made to resist spills and are widely considered the best keyboards, the fact the motherboard and screen won't be flexing, and the ease of use.

Thanks for adding those points as it's really important to those that have not seen or used a ThinkPad before.

Cheers!

LaRoza
June 6th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Thanks for adding those points as it's really important to those that have not seen or used a ThinkPad before.

Cheers!

I always felt uncomfortable holding my mother's Dell laptop, it fell like paper to me. I got my Thinkpad and am most pleased. It is solid, but not heavy.

50words
June 6th, 2008, 03:56 AM
It is duly noted to always agree with you, in order to avoid being targeted. My humble apologies for participating.

What you can take away from this exchange is not to assume the person you are writing to is an idiot.

If you read my review, only part of my negativity stems from disappointment. The other part of my negativity stems from the fact that the 15.4" T61 is an objectively big and clunky laptop when compared with the competition. This is a laptop whose engineers supposedly "obsess about being thin." The product, however, falls far short in the thin and light department when compared with other 15.4" laptops.

LaRoza
June 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
If you read my review, only part of my negativity stems from disappointment. The other part of my negativity stems from the fact that the 15.4" T61 is an objectively big and clunky laptop when compared with the competition. This is a laptop whose engineers supposedly "obsess about being thin." The product, however, falls far short in the thin and light department when compared with other 15.4" laptops.

Well, the competition breaks easier. Having a car made of paper isn't an advantage because it is lighter than the one with a steel frame.

Of course, it depends on your needs. A Thinkpad is a laptop for use, travel, and work. It is meant to survive and function as well as it can.

Light and thin for its strength perhaps?

50words
June 6th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Light and thin for its strength perhaps?

Maybe. But my T43 is thin and light and strong, both objectively and when compared with the competition. From what I can tell, the 14.1" T61 is also pretty comparable to the competition on the thin and light scale.

The 15.4" is nowhere near the competition. There lies my surprise and disappointment.

archer6
June 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Attacking the individual is always a good way to make your point.

What you can take away from this exchange is not to assume the person you are writing to is an idiot.
Be very clear these are _your_ assumptions. I have nothing further.

I'm sure you will respond, so as to have the last word.

Ub1476
June 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Any rumors on when the X200 will be out? I might be buying a new (thinkpad) computer in 2-3 weeks.

archer6
June 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Any rumors on when the X200 will be out? I might be buying a new (thinkpad) computer in 2-3 weeks.

It's my understanding that the X200 as well as T400 & T500 should be shipping around the 15th of July.

ch_123
June 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Im hoping to get myself a T61 within the next week or so. Looking forward to it :D

archer6
June 17th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Im hoping to get myself a T61 within the next week or so. Looking forward to it :D
Sounds great! If you have not had a ThinkPad before you are really going to be amazed how nice your new T61 will be. Often long time ThinkPad users like myself tend to forget just how great they are until I notice someone else with another brand when I'm using mine in Starbucks. From the little, but important things like the precision stainless steel hinges that are so strong & keep the screen from wiggling while typing. To the big things like how cool, quite, & fast they are.

Cheers....;)
sent via: BlackBerry Curve

Ub1476
June 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Do you know what it will be priced, the X200? X300 is only around 2,700$ on Amazon now, and I wonder if the X200 is worth the extra cost (it's probably more expensive). I know it includes a CPU around at 2GHZ, but are there any other new features except for that (and small screen)?

I think I can manage to wait till July 15. Maybe the X300 (if I decide to buy it) will be cheaper when the new models are released?

cookieofdoom
June 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
If you don't have to have the CD ROM drive to carry around with you (or you can use an external), and the higher resolution screen. The X61 is a great little machine, and it's a lot cheaper.. The docking bay thing has a DVD ROM built in.

archer6
June 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
If you don't have to have the CD ROM drive to carry around with you (or you can use an external), and the higher resolution screen. The X61 is a great little machine, and it's a lot cheaper.. The docking bay thing has a DVD ROM built in.

I could not agree more. I have used an X41 for a long time, then 18 months ago I bought my X60s and could not be happier. I have large hands, and yet the 97% of full size keyboard is wonderful. So much larger than that on any other 12.1" laptop. I like to carry it with the slim battery which does not protrude out the back or down below the computer, it's flush and keeps the laptop very thin and light.

Here are the specs of my X60s (X61, is nearly the same)
I weighed mine on a calibrated industrial scale at work and it's only 2.3lbs. It also has a small footprint: 10.5" x 8.3" x .83 - 1.00" thick. I have the "UltraLight" TFT display that is 20% brighter and 25% lighter than the standard X60s. The magnesium housing is ultra strong and also reduces the weight. I have the low voltage 1.66GHz CoreDuo, which benchmarks at 30% faster than the 1.5GHz regular voltage chip that was in my X41. In addition I regularly get over 5 hours on Transatlantic flights, whereas the X41 only returned 2 hours 45 min. I loaded it up with 2GB ram which makes this one very fast, quite, compact, laptop.

The only exception is it lacks Ubuntu.....soon to be remedied by yours truly.....:)..... as it has 100GB 7200rpm HDD, so lots of room.

Current pricing on the X61 is far below what I paid for mine and for those of you who do not _have_ to have the X300, I would highly suggest you take one of these into consideration. They are a great bargain at this present moment.

50words
June 19th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Any rumors on when we can expect an update to the T series?

wyclif
June 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I thought I'd reply here with this common problem, since there are a lot of ThinkPad users here. I have a T40 here and really love it. No problems at all with Gutsy.

Today I tried to upgrade to Hardy, but now I have no ethernet/wireless. I've tried many of the solutions offered in the "wireless" threads, to no avail. :-(

I understand this is an ndiswrapper problem? How do I solve this?

Thanks in advance!

hvac3901
June 28th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I thought I'd reply here with this common problem, since there are a lot of ThinkPad users here. I have a T40 here and really love it. No problems at all with Gutsy.

Today I tried to upgrade to Hardy, but now I have no ethernet/wireless. I've tried many of the solutions offered in the "wireless" threads, to no avail. :-(

I understand this is an ndiswrapper problem? How do I solve this?

Thanks in advance!

if i find out what happened i will tell you (dont count on me to fnd out though), what i do know is that public wireless areas don't give me any issues, but my home router, the one locked down and firewalled, reboots every time try to log into it wirelessly.

wyclif
June 28th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Additional information:

ndiswrapper -l returns no result.

ifconfig -a has an entry under lo that includes, UP LOOPBACK RUNNING. Anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Any rumors on when we can expect an update to the T series?

I just received an update from my Corp Sales Rep that the new T series will be released mid July. I should have a date soon, as of now the unconfirmed date is July 16, 2008. Any other questions?

Cheers!

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

Yes, I had the exact same problem on my R51, it ran flawlessly on 7.10 Gutsy. I performed the upgrade and then experienced this same issue you described. I did a lot of lot of searching and some diagnostic work, to no avail. However that said, it's important to know that I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux.

So what I decided, was to do a complete wipe of the drive and start fresh. I performed a clean install of 8.04 Hardy. Now everything works perfectly. I'm very pleased. I also did a clean install on a T42 for a friend and that went perfectly as well.

So going forward I believe that I will avoid upgrading when it's a new version, and start fresh with a clean install.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers!

50words
June 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I just received an update from my Corp Sales Rep that the new T series will be released mid July. I should have a date soon, as of now the unconfirmed date is July 16, 2008. Any other questions?

Cheers!

Yup. Do you know what the update will be? Just specs, or also changes to the form factor? LED screens?

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Yup. Do you know what the update will be? Just specs, or also changes to the form factor? LED screens?
First, looking at the big picture they are updating all ThinkPads in terms of a completely new design, housings and all. This is the first time in many years that ThinkPads have been completely redesigned.

I'm including a link that's a bit old, but the only one so far that shows pictures of the prototypes. This link calls them X series in the various sizes. The latest I have is that the 14 & 15 inch models will be called T400 & T500. They are also reverting back to the 4x3 aspect ratio (optional on some models)(non-widescreen) for those of us like myself that are software engineers and prefer the taller standard format display.

Also there is rumor that the IPS display technology which IBM (yes prior to Lenovo) calls FlexView, will return. The T60 I'm writing this on is one of the last to have Flexview, before it was discontinued due to a screen shortage. The advantage for those of you who have not heard of IPS is that it provides a very wide viewing angle which is great if several people are viewing the display at the same time.

Here's the Link New ThinkPads (http://gizmodo.com/378504/lenovos-entire-new-thinkpad-line-leaked-x300-gets-siblings)

Cheers!

50words
June 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Fantastic news all around. I am waiting to see the new Macbook Pros as well as the new ThinkPads. If I can sort out my video editing issues in Linux ("issues" = I can't), I will almost certainly stick with Lenovo.

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Fantastic news all around. I am waiting to see the new Macbook Pros as well as the new ThinkPads. If I can sort out my video editing issues in Linux ("issues" = I can't), I will almost certainly stick with Lenovo.

I'm a huge fan of ThinkPads as I've enjoyed incredible reliability from every one I've had, and I upgrade each year as new models are released. Since it's my main computer and I'm a developer/scientist/designer, I need all the resources I can get. I use a laptop because I travel so much.

That said, I've also had several PowerBooks & three MacBook Pros, that I use as an alternate choice for personal work / play only, just for fun and to have something different. My biggest complaint and a deal breaker which prevents me from taking a MacBook Pro on the road is it's defective WiFi / Airport operation. I use WiFi everywhere, everyday, at the office, at my home, and on the road at Starbucks, thus I must have functional, and reliable WiFi.

In fact I just bought a brand new MBP two weeks ago, hoping they had it fixed, as it's been an ongoing problem for nearly two years now. It does not affect the MacBooks as they are plastic, so no interference as the aluminum cased MBPs suffer from. Unfortunately even my new MBP would not stay connected to WiFi for more than about 20 minutes, before dropping the connection. Again, when calling AppleCare / Tech support they finally admitted that it's not fixed yet. So I returned the MBP to my local Apple store where they waived the 10% restocking fee as they promised they would if the WiFi did not work. And it was not just that one, as they gave me two replacements before I finally gave up as all three unable to maintain a WiFi connection.

I'm hoping that the upcoming new MacBook / MacBook Pro models that are rumored to be released at Mac World SF this year will finally have that problem resolved. They will never replace my ThinkPad but I like to have some variety in what I use as my personal laptop for fun stuff.

Cheers!

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
New Thinkpads? I hope they continue the tradition...

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 10:26 PM
New Thinkpads? I hope they continue the tradition...

I just took delivery of the new X300, and I can tell you from experience that this is every bit as nice as when IBM owned the ThinkPad division. They put the Red Trim back on the mouse buttons, and it's really nice. Build quality is exemplary as is the design.

As a long time ThinkPad user, I simply could not help myself, the first day I had it I took it apart to look inside and inspect the differences, component placement etc. WoW! is all I have to say. This is one very well engineered laptop. Space utilization is the best I've seen, and there is ample room for a very good airflow path around everything.

Cheers....;)

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I just took delivery of the new X300, and I can tell you from experience that this is every bit as nice as when IBM owned the ThinkPad division. They put the Red Trim back on the mouse buttons, and it's really nice. Build quality is exemplary as is the design.

As a long time ThinkPad user, I simply could not help myself, the first day I had it I took it apart to look inside and inspect the differences, component placement etc. WoW! is all I have to say. This is one very well engineered laptop. Space utilization is the best I've seen, and there is ample room for a very good airflow path around everything.

Cheers....;)

I have an R61, I was referring to the "yet to be released" models.

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I was referring to the "yet to be released" models.

I understand, I was also referring to the "yet to be released" models. They are not going to be released all at the same time, but rather over a period of time.

Even though the X300 is here, it's the first of the "New ThinkPad Family" to be released. Next in order will be the release of the T400 & T500, after which the 200 (12" and possibly 700 (17") models will be released. While they will be the same style as the X300, Lenovo made a last minute decision to change the names of the 14.1" and 15.4" models to T400 & T500 removing the X designation.

The "61" series models are the last of the "old style" ThinkPads.

See this link for clarification.
(http://gizmodo.com/378504/lenovos-entire-new-thinkpad-line-leaked-x300-gets-siblings)

Cheers

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I understand, I was also referring to the "yet to be released" models. They are not going to be released all at the same time, but rather over a period of time.

Even though the X300 is here, it's the first of the "New ThinkPad Family" to be released. Next in order will be the release of the T400 & T500, after which the 200 (12" and possibly 700 (17") models will be released. While they will be the same style as the X300, Lenovo made a last minute decision to change the names of the 14.1" and 15.4" models to T400 & T500 removing the X designation.

The "61" series models are the last of the "old style" ThinkPads.

See this link for clarification.
(http://gizmodo.com/378504/lenovos-entire-new-thinkpad-line-leaked-x300-gets-siblings)

Cheers

Can't wait! :-) Hope I have the funds, I would hate to have to be without shelter to buy a new Thinkpad (yes, a Thinkpad is more important)

zmjjmz
June 28th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I hope my 560's HDD isn't failing...

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Can't wait! :-) Hope I have the funds, I would hate to have to be without shelter to buy a new Thinkpad (yes, a Thinkpad is more important)

I must admit I was very concerned when I first heard Lenovo was completely redesigning the ThinkPad lineup. The T series ThinkPad has been my constant companion since October of 2000 when the first T series debuted. It was a T21 and an instant hit. I've had each of the T2x, T3x, T4x, and T6x models since. Therefore in my case it's been the very computer I've made my living with for a long time. The cornerstone of my computing world.

You are going to be really impressed with the new models. I got a sneak peek at a few of them in their pre-production state, as I have a close friend that is the project leader, and I was quite surprised, and relieved at how nice they are.

What size / model are you interested in? Perhaps I can get some additional info for you.

Cheers!

archer6
June 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I hope my 560's HDD isn't failing...

What are the symptoms you are noticing?

Have you owned it since new, and if so, how many hours (approx) do you have on it?

zmjjmz
June 28th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I couldn't of owned it since new, I was 4 when we bought it.
And the symptom is the fact that no matter how many times I partition the disk with fdisk, it won't reread it or mount it.
I've restarted too.
This is with BasicLinux 3.5, (which uses 2.2.16).
I've posted the problem to the list, and am awaiting a response.

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
You are going to be really impressed with the new models. I got a sneak peek at a few of them in their pre-production state, as I have a close friend that is the project leader, and I was quite surprised, and relieved at how nice they are.

What size / model are you interested in? Perhaps I can get some additional info for you.

That is good news.

What would I be interested in? I have four computers, including two notebooks (R61i, and iBook). I'd probably want to get something I could really show off, perhaps an X series. I don't see the point of desktop replacements and a full features small computer would be hot (in a good way)

hvac3901
June 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
That is good news.

What would I be interested in? I have four computers, including two notebooks (R61i, and iBook). I'd probably want to get something I could really show off, perhaps an X series. I don't see the point of desktop replacements and a full features small computer would be hot (in a good way)

I recently had an X series shipped to my house for someone. NICE laptop, when its seperated thin, light, when its docked to the expansion bay (the place where the DVD buner extra USB ports all reside) when it is docked they kinda look like an scaled down version of the older thinkpad (the self defence series of laptops, heavy, bulletproof, and thick)

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM
That is good news.

From my perspective there are three choices that might suit you well. It comes down to your preference of size of display and overall size and footprint of the laptop.

I have an X60s which is very small, thin, and just 2.3lbs. The display is 12.1" and it's the computer that I carry when I don't want to carry anything larger. The battery fits flush with the back and the bottom so it does not protrude at all. What I particularly like about my X60s besides it very diminutive size, is the all magnesium housing which gives it great strength and makes it very rugged. I routinely put it in a Waterfield sleeve and pop it into my backpack. You hardly know it's there. Also the power supply has very small & light brick.

They can be had new for about 40% less than I paid for mine. They are selling briskly since it's the end of the line for these. Lenovo is clearing them out, as the new X200 will be out shortly. Between those two the X61s (same as my X60s)and the X200, the difference will be small enough, that one might want to take advantage of the very good prices on the X61s, now.

If you want a larger display in a form factor that is still small then you might want the X300. Although I have both of these listed below, I still prefer the X60s for it's smaller footprint. The extra 2" width and 1" depth of the X300 does make a difference when carrying it.

The Dimensions are as follows:

X300 12.4" x 9.1" x 0.73" - 0.92"

X61s 10.5" x 8.3" x 0.83" - 1.0"

jimrz
June 29th, 2008, 01:51 AM
... What size / model are you interested in? Perhaps I can get some additional info for you.

Cheers!

T400 ... would love additional info. Might even make me think hard about upgrading from my T42 (have not seen anything else compelling enough,yet ... this one may be, though)

thanks

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 02:04 AM
From my perspective there are three choices that might suit you well. It comes down to your preference of size of display and overall size and footprint of the laptop.

I have an X60s which is very small, thin, and just 2.3lbs. The display is 12.1" and it's the computer that I carry when I don't want to carry anything larger. The battery fits flush with the back and the bottom so it does not protrude at all. What I particularly like about my X60s besides it very diminutive size, is the all magnesium housing which gives it great strength and makes it very rugged. I routinely put it in a Waterfield sleeve and pop it into my backpack. You hardly know it's there. Also the power supply has very small & light brick.

They can be had new for about 40% less than I paid for mine. They are selling briskly since it's the end of the line for these. Lenovo is clearing them out, as the new X200 will be out shortly. Between those two the X61s (same as my X60s)and the X200, the difference will be small enough, that one might want to take advantage of the very good prices on the X61s, now.

If you want a larger display in a form factor that is still small then you might want the X300. Although I have both of these listed below, I still prefer the X60s for it's smaller footprint. The extra 2" width and 1" depth of the X300 does make a difference when carrying it.

The Dimensions are as follows:

X300 12.4" x 9.1" x 0.73" - 0.92"

X61s 10.5" x 8.3" x 0.83" - 1.0"

Thanks. It won't be for a while though. I'd have to have enough spare money (and I have student loans, and I am going back to school. I don't have a job at the moment, but God willing, I will be getting one this week (favourable interview))

50words
June 29th, 2008, 02:27 AM
What are the chances the new T-series will have a decent-size trackpad, for a change? I like having the trackpoint option, but I use the trackpad more for web browsing, and it would be nice to have something bigger?

Like jimrz, I haven't seen anything worth upgrading to from my T43. I briefly had a 15.4" T61, but it was too big and clunky for me, so I sent it back. Can't wait to see how the new T400 measures up to my T43.

50words
June 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I have a T43. Do I have two fans, or only one? How can I tell if it/they are running?

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM
T400 ... would love additional info. Might even make me think hard about upgrading from my T42 (have not seen anything else compelling enough,yet ... this one may be, though)

I know how you feel about the T42, of all the T series ThinkPads I've owned the T42 stands out as one of my all time favorites. I kept mine to use a backup to my (then) new T60. I expect to have some info on the T400 soon, and once I have something solid I will follow up here.

Cheers!

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks.I don't have a job at the moment, but God willing, I will be getting one this week (favourable interview))

I will send positive thoughts your way about obtaining the job you want.

Cheers

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I have a T43. Do I have two fans, or only one? How can I tell if it/they are running?
The T43 has one fan.

You are very lucky that yours is operating properly. There were many T43's, a huge number with noisy fans, as a result of a problem with the embedded controller program. What was happening was that it would adjust the fan speed (what it's designed to do) up and down too frequently, as a result it caused a surge in the fan speed, which in turn caused quite a bit of noise. It's normal mapping was to maintain a certain constant fan speed according to load, not the increase and immediate decrease in rpm that those users experienced. IBM created several different versions of the controller program in an effort to arrest the problem but the effectiveness was marginal at best.

I had the problem in my T43, the only reason I finally got it under control within reason was that I'm fortunate enough to have a tremendous amount of patience and desire to stick with it, as I enjoy the learning opportunity that those truly difficult issues present. In my case I worked on it on and off for months as the different updates were released. What was particularly unique about this issue what that as it ended up there was not a single solution for all users. Vexing indeed.

Therefore if yours is quiet consider yourself very lucky. As far as how to tell if it's running, if you put your ear to the exhaust vents you may hear it. Another option, if you cannot hear it which is possible (some are incredibly quiet) is to take a tissue and hang it over the vent and it should move just enough to indicate the fan is running. Remember that it only runs when the system is being taxed, as the thermal management of the T series beginning with the T4x models is so effective that the fan does not run during basic usage such as working in Word, or on the web.

Cheers

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I will send positive thoughts your way about obtaining the job you want.

Cheers

Thanks.

(I'll let everyone know if/when I get it :-))

50words
June 29th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Well, the one fan is definitely running, albeit quietly, but ever since I got the motherboard replaced under warranty, my laptop has been running really hot. I have seen the processor at 96*C in the last few days!

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 03:19 AM
What are the chances the new T-series will have a decent-size trackpad, for a change? I like having the trackpoint option, but I use the trackpad more for web browsing, and it would be nice to have something bigger?

They are increasing the size of the trackpad on all new ThinkPads.

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Well, the one fan is definitely running, albeit quietly, but ever since I got the motherboard replaced under warranty, my laptop has been running really hot. I have seen the processor at 96*C in the last few days!

I would highly encourage you to send it back asap. The motherboards are known to fail due to high temps.

Vorian
June 29th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I have a T61 and <3 it very much.

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I have a T61 and <3 it very much.

I find the T60 and T61 models to be my current favorites.

They are very well sorted out, and run well under any circumstances. I have a tremendous amount of hours on my T60, more than I've put on any of the prior models and this one is stellar. One of the features that I have on the T60 (which sadly is no longer available) is the display technology known as IPS, which in turn IBM/Lenovo calls Flexview. For those who may not know what this is, it creates a display that has an exceptionally wide and deep viewing angle. It's great when you want to show others what's being displayed. They can either stand or sit next to the computer with you behind the keyboard and see it as well as the user. It also offers better color saturation, and color balance. It was an optional display that was only offered on a few of the T60 and T60p models with the conventional 4x3 aspect ratio (not widescreen). For that reason, as well as others I plan on using my T60 for a long time.

Cheers

50words
June 29th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I would highly encourage you to send it back asap. The motherboards are known to fail due to high temps.

Done. I love Lenovo service. They are sending a box, which should be here next week.

This laptop is already four years old. I wonder if they will let me extend my warranty even further.

zmjjmz
June 29th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Oh, I'll be getting a T42 soon, does it have the same (or similar) problems?

VChief
June 29th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I've had my T61 for about a month. I love this thing.

jimrz
June 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Oh, I'll be getting a T42 soon, does it have the same (or similar) problems?

Have had my T42 for several years and had no such problems, nor have I seen complaints about them. It's a great machine ... enjoy.

archer6
June 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM
This laptop is already four years old. I wonder if they will let me extend my warranty even further.
That I rather doubt. For clarification, while Lenovo took over the ThinkPad division IBM still provides support at the Atlanta facility. They are extremely good about taking care of issues that are ongoing even beyond the warranty period. They key is to keep your case or ticket numbers so that in the event of a repeat problem you have that to reference.

Cheers

frustschieber
June 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
T61p running Kubuntu 8.04
not functioning: Thinkvantage, fingerprint, external Monitor

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
T61p running Kubuntu 8.04
not functioning: Thinkvantage, fingerprint, external Monitor

The Thinkvantage button boots a seperate partition with a version of PC-DOS on it for recovery. Obviously, when you install Linux, you don't have that option anymore...

Fingerprinter readers can work, but they are not secure. Don't use them if you value security.

For the external monitor, try starting the computer with the monitor plugged in. There is probably an easier way, but that works.

PmDematagoda
June 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM
For the external monitor, try starting the computer with the monitor plugged in. There is probably an easier way, but that works.

I do believe that you can use XRandR to do that, but as to how to use it is something I have no idea about.