PDA

View Full Version : Why does 'everyone' want their theme to look like other OS's?

Vaelrith
December 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Why is it that 4 of the top 5 most downloaded themes on gnome-look.org are based on other OS's? ie: Mac OS X and Vista

Mac
Something kinda macish
A pretty nice non-look-a-like theme
Something appearing to be Vista inspired
Something else Vista inspired

Nobody wants a unique, attractive desktop anymore?

aysiu
December 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I have not found many unique and attractive themes. Others will disagree, of course, but this is my opinion based on my tastes. There is one wonderfully attractive IceWM theme called ThinBlack that I use. But in Gnome I go with Human or a Mac OS X imitation theme. In KDE, I stay with Plastik, since I think all the other KDE themes are ugly.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is. Many of us like the looks of other operating systems (I think Mac OS X looks fantastic), but we don't appreciate the other operating systems' usability, license restrictions, or price. There's nothing wrong with admiring the way another operating system looks but not liking the functionality of that operating system.

Another reason people might create those themes in the first place--just to show they can do it... just to show how flexible Linux is that it can even look like Vista or OS X.

fatality_uk
December 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
To be honest, I dont like the Mac interface. I DO love the Vista icons and theme. I actually have Human default theme which I also love. If I could get the Vista icons into Ubuntu, I would.

sh1v
December 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I have not found many unique and attractive themes. Others will disagree, of course, but this is my opinion based on my tastes. There is one wonderfully attractive IceWM theme called ThinBlack that I use. But in Gnome I go with Human or a Mac OS X imitation theme. In KDE, I stay with Plastik, since I think all the other KDE themes are ugly.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is. Many of us like the looks of other operating systems (I think Mac OS X looks fantastic), but we don't appreciate the other operating systems' usability, license restrictions, or price. There's nothing wrong with admiring the way another operating system looks but not liking the functionality of that operating system.

Another reason people might create those themes in the first place--just to show they can do it... just to show how flexible Linux is that it can even look like Vista or OS X.

People miss their macs or Windows machine. They want to make Ubuntu as close to them as possible so when they use it, they dont feel for any of these OS.

Vaelrith
December 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM

That's a good point, didn't think about that.

However, I still find it hard to find themes that are attractive, usable, unique, etc. There are a few out there, but nothing that really blows you away, at least from the themes I've seen.

derekr44
December 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I kinda agree with the OP. There are so many Vista-ish themes out there for Emerald and Gnome, it's difficult to find something unique.

I haven't gotten used to Openbox or Fluxbox yet, so my Gnome themes are more original for the time being.

hessiess
December 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM
i dont want themes to copy outher os's, thats just boring!

smartboyathome
December 19th, 2007, 09:28 PM
What I use usually doesn't copy another operating system. I don't try to avoid them like other people, but I just get bored with them.

Incense
December 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I don't see a problem with it. Some people just like the look of the other os. Projects like flyakiteosx (www.flyakiteosx.com/) make windows look like OSX, clearlook for windows (www.deviantart.com/deviation/18591720/) will give XP a gnome feel. Just use what you find attractive. I'm sure apple spent a lot of money to make leopard look the way it does, same with MS and vista. So hey, why not take advantage of that design if you like it right?

When I first installed linux for my wife, I made it look and feel like XP, just to help her adjust to everything. Now she has customized it to her liking, but the windows look did help her out in the beginning. When I first came to linux from OS9, I really liked KDE because I could get that mac type menu for my applications at the top of the screen. It was what I was used to, and it helped the transition. Just my .02

PrimoTurbo
December 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
It's not EVERYONE and the question should be "Why not".

But people like the look of certain setups.

the_darkside_986
December 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
That clearlooks for Windows looks cool, I think I'll try that whenever I boot into Windows XP again.

I've been trying to customize Windows XP to look more like Gnome but I don't plan on resorting to REGEDIT. I did change my color scheme to silver and I installed the Bitstream Vera fonts and tried to set all the text properties of my theme to use those fonts. The default, MS Sans Serif font looks hideous anyway IMO.

I change my Linux and FreeBSD desktops to look like Windows only if I am going to show it off to someone. But I have no one to impress right now so I've got my current theme in Ubuntu set to clearlooks.

PurposeOfReason
December 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
IMO, it's because modern day OS are chosen on how pretty they are thus a lot of work being put into looks. Then someone comes along and makes a linux version. Icons are a great example. Usually I only see one icon, the folder. 99% of icons I've ever seen are ugly. The nice ones are vista or osx based (and most of the time the osx ones are done poorly).

Espreon
December 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Well my desktop is unique. I think the reason why some peeps try to imitate the looks of other OSes is because:

A. They don't wanna or don't have the artistic vision to make a unique desktop
B. Nothing else appeals to them
C. They wanna imitate the look of another OS to easily convert people to Linux

selda
December 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I guess it's because they are used to the look of their previous OS.

toupeiro
December 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Some people geniunely like the look and feel of other OSes. That doesn't mean they want to run them.

I like the look and feel of the last AmigaOS released. Should I be forced to run AmigaOS to get that look and feel environment?

oldb0y
December 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I have the deafult desktop i Ubuntu, and I like it very much:grin:

atomkarinca
December 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Until I read this post I hated the wannabe themes. But, as always, aysiu has a good point. The important thing is not how it looks, it's how it works. Me? I use the default theme of Ubuntu Studio, that looks very nice.

popch
December 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Frankly, I do not greatly care what the theme looks like. Rather, I have a lengthy list of properties my themes must not have. It all boils down to optimum usability. Usable for me, that is. I do not expect anyone else to be able or to want to use my virtual desk. Also, I do not expect my band saw or screw driver to boast any special looks. It has to saw and to drive screws or whatever.

Besides, on my smaller screens I scarcely ever see the desktop. I see the documents I am perusing or writing. The best theme would be the one leaving the most space for the thing I am working on. That would, in fact, make the theme invisible, sorts of.

Samhain13
December 19th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I love the chocolatey goodness of Ubuntu. The only things I do (for prettifying) on a new install are change my background, place launchers of my frequently-used applications and set window colours to something brownish. :)

~LoKe
December 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Now that I don't use a GTK based desktop, I just grab a theme that will apply well to Firefox (since Minefield supports GTK themes). No mac themes for this guy. Bleh.

Lostincyberspace
December 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Believe it or not apple and Microsoft both spend a lot of time working on how their things look.

I use a mac-os based icon set since it looks nice.

popch
December 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Believe it or not apple and Microsoft both spend a lot of time working on how their things look.

It shows with one of those. The other should start hiring designers.

Scarath
December 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
In reply to the OP - What? Most screens of people linux i see on the net are nothing like Vista of OSX

I for one try to make my setup look as different as possible to other OSs cos i dont like them (and hence dont use them)

criskat777
December 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
If i wanted Vista i would use vista or OS X X86 mac i have Ubuntu because i can mod my Desktop how ever i fell like. My Desktop is running Compiz fusion with all the toys + 40 transparent windows with a carbon fiber tint look to it on everything + AWN with all custom Icons. All i can say is that Linux in general can be so flex that it can be what ever you want it to be. The sky and your imagination is the limit. :popcorn:

qazwsx
December 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
My KDE combination:Knifty borders+Domino (strongly modified from defaults, nowhere near Aqua)+Crystal Project icons. Quite unique if you ask me as well as many other's desktops. There are Mac themes for Windows as well.

ericesque
December 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM
The attempt to mimic those themes seems fairly logical to me. They're familiar, they're aesthetic (for many people), and they're complete.

Think of all the time that has gone into the Human theme-- icons, window border, and GTK theme. We've had the Human theme for how many years? They're still polishing it! This isn't to knock the art team, it's to point out that there is a lot of effort and testing required to complete a theme.

Why aren't there many unique and attractive themes? Because it takes time and teams of people to complete them. Tango icon set has been successful because it has rallied support as an ongoing project maintained and contributed to by many people. Many themes on gnome-look are developed by a few or even one individual. Once the theme bears resemblance to their vision, it's typically on to the next project. The time is not taken to tweak out bugs and refine aesthetics.

This is why I have such a hard time with new folks on the forum asking 'Why don't we make Ubuntu prettier'. They have no concept of what it takes. Granted the orange/tan default color of Human window borders is not everyone's favorite. But pick the theme apart a bit. In +90% of the theme, it's pixel perfect. I wouldn't even give Vista the same credit.

ehh... [/rant]

bigbrovar
December 20th, 2007, 12:04 AM
i guess the reason i use themes for other OS is because i can.. one of the reason i came to linux was because of its freedom to allow customization .. its not eg i hate vista .. it is not easily themable unless u are ready to pay for 3rd party suits like window blind which would just succeed in slowing down your system.. but with Ubuntu i can make my system look just the way i love it to look.. depending on my mood.. sometimes i love dark themes,other times i love to have the look of mac or vista.. the fact that i can do all this is why i do them

jviscosi
December 20th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I want my Windows machine at work to look like Fluxbox. :-(

PurposeOfReason
December 20th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I want my Windows machine at work to look like Fluxbox. :-(
Google windows blackbox. ;)

BSDFreakNo2
December 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I like my KDE the way Suse has it now with the modifications that makes it not look like Suse at all, but kinda, not really but sorta...

I like KDE with the Suse2 window decorations, the oxygen icon theme and some random hot chick as my girlfr... wallpaper.

All in FreeBSD Current.

BSDFreakNo2
December 20th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Well, to tell you the truth, for Ubuntu, i love Gnome, no other distro has a Gnome like ubuntu, Dropline for Slackware used to be king but Ubuntu has definently taken that crown, it's simply amazing to me how they could implement gnome out of the box to be this good.

Kubuntu on the other hand is the worst implementation of the K desktop environment i have ever seen on ANY distro or even operating system, it's better compiled out of the box, it's horrid.

And yes i do realize that cuts deep into some of the Kubuntu devs hearts who have poured their thoughts into this, but they should STOP doing that.

Kynaptic works great, Adept is a horrid package manager frontend, Kontact and Koffice make up the office packages of KDE, they are FAR superious to any other competition, firefox does not compete with Konqueror, it's left in the dust, leave it out of the equation, you don't like something about Konqueror, improve it.

There are about 112 other issues i have with Kubuntu that i don't have with FreeBSDs or OpenSuSE's implementations of KDE but i'll save that for another thread.

fuscia
December 20th, 2007, 03:53 AM
i never want to see another mac theme. it's like looking at a thousand 25watt lightbulbs and trying to figure out which one's the brightest.

BSDFreakNo2
December 20th, 2007, 04:08 AM
i never want to see another mac theme. it's like looking at a thousand 25watt lightbulbs and trying to figure out which one's the brightest.

Lol, i've been looking for a definition, this one fits so perfectly.

Personally, i've waded through E17 (which i abhore), Fluxbox, which is kinda.. it's just not me, and you know what...

I've got two favourites and the first to guess why gets a signed picture of an angry Theo de Raadt.

KDE and Ratpoison.

What do they have in common?

tylerspaska
December 20th, 2007, 04:36 AM
i agree with the OP and i agree 100% with fuscia. i can't stand to see the mac icons anymore. i use osX at work. it makes me sick. the main problem for me is that mac icons are everywhere now. i can't seem to get away from them, and every new device has some cheap knock-off of the icon set.

on the other hand. i think there are very few well designed icon sets for gnome. most of them seem very functional. that's ok, but i would like something with a little style (i'm very, very open to suggestions). i also have to say that most of the icons for OOo make it very hard to distinguish, especially when working quickly, between writer, calc, impress, etc...

aysiu
December 20th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I wish there were a complete Tux icon set.

TeraDyne
December 20th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Personally, I'd welcome anything that is unique. Right now, I'm using KDE's "Web" window decorations and a pink colour scheme. (I actually like pink now) If there were something else that looked good and WASN'T a Win\Mac theme wannabe, I'd jump on it.

Heck, if someone could start porting some of the themes I've seen on for WindowBlinds, I think we'd have plenty of unique and beautiful skins and colour schemes for Linux. All it takes is effort and a knowledge of creating the theme package. Of course, if you make your own theme, you'd need some artistic skills. >_>;

BSDFreakNo2
December 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Oh and hi fuscia, i am "le back" as they say in France. :D

I hope all is well with you

hhhhhx
December 20th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I have a different usr accound wich i made to look exactly like XP, the only reason bieng that when im at school people dont make fun of me for using linux. (one of my friends actualy got his laptop broken just because he was showing some people the advantages of linux :()

SunnyRabbiera
December 20th, 2007, 05:01 AM
well not everyone, but its good for transition

derekr44
December 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM
After thinking about it for awhile, I think the OP is asking the following:

Why are there so many Mac and Vista Aero themes for theming xwindows?

I was looking at a theme site for Emerald and I saw about 15 themes named Vista, with almost the exact same glossy look with short and long window control buttons. People can mimic their desktop whichever way they want, yes. But how many Vista and Mac themes do we really need?

In terms of originality, I really like the Solidline Compiz theme. Clean and original IMO.

Mellowdrone
December 20th, 2007, 05:49 AM

There's something I'm wanting to say here, however unfortunately I can't muster the words for it. To better describe, the uniqueness of a Gnome or KDE desktop is only as fitting as Gnome or KDE would allow, and both of these environments have a similar desktop by default to that of Windows and MacOS. Alternatively, even advancements made in AWN or Kiba-Dock (both of which I actively use depending on the needed preference), fall somewhere in a mix of MacOS's docking system and an "alternative" user preference fitting with the system's current theme. Furthermore, third-party developers for programs such as gdesklets have been introducing minimal desktop tweaks (calendars, picture placings, etc.) that give the desktop a more personalized feel.

I'd suppose what I'm attempting to state here is that desktop environment features have always tended to overlap no matter the OS. I can remember as far back as Windows 3.1 and GeOS that features tended to do such things. As a result and upon reading this thread, I felt it necessary to add something I'd hope is a bit more fruitful.

The better question to introduce isn't whether or not the system loses some perk after having been in use for the last fifteen or twenty years, no matter the stated environment any user is attempting to copy. No, the better question to ask without a doubt is what you can offer to the current environment of your choice to both propose and (furthermore) work towards a more positive change in your view. I'm not stating or even proposing that each and everyone wanting something new within their desktop environment needs to construct such a beast from the ground up. However, what I am stating is that instead of complaining or actively insulting persons choosing such decisions regarding their decorations, I think the energy would be better spent on concentrating your efforts to better tweak current environments to your perfections. Whether it's by writing code or making donations towards a certain enhancement or feature you believe the developers need to take note of, the premise is clear: if you're using Linux and wanting change, you're prepared to either support those doing the development by contributing somehow or suffer consequences as a result of the lack of it.

GSF1200S
December 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Well, im using KDE, and its set up almost exactly like Gnome in terms of button placement, system tray, taskbar, etc... I have found Gnomes default layout to be the most effecient way of using an OS.. At the same time I like KDE's swiss army knife approach...

So, let me ask- Is my "theme" and layout unique? The answer from the windows/mac community would undoubtedly be yes, while the answer from most Gnome users would be that I copied Gnome.

First off- I dont really care what it looks like, as long as it works. Second- Who classifies what is a copy and what is not?

chris4585
December 20th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Not everyone has their system looking like another OS, alot do, but i have a mix i suppose

kiba-dock looks like the mac bar in a way
my icon theme is black/white
and i have a gnome-panel that lookis like vista's panel but i dont think that really makes it look like vista, its black glass with black/white icons on it, vista? lol no, and a nice green background
effects of course i have compiz fusion

thats what i love about linux, you can do anything and make your computer look like anything too

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/456281/large/1_snapshot7.png

SomeGuyDude
December 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
One big thing to me is unity. The hardest thing I have to deal with is finding a way to make my OS look like it's one smooth theme as opposed to disparate parts, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to go with OS-replicating theme packages.

I can try and find an emerald theme that matches my GTK theme that goes with an icon set and a skin for my AWN dock, but it was easier to get the damn fine looking OSX package and put all that on there. I'm not using it now, but it's certainly amongst my favorite looking themes because everything blends beautifully.

Unless you can make themes for yourself, it can be damn tough to find things that mix well.

erlyrisa
December 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
just to butt in....

I used to be like that (when it was starting to bceome popular to copy the OSX theme for KDE/Gnome ... and I didn't mind having the menu bar at the top on KDE)

--but Ubuntu Human out of the box is just great!!!

--one thing I still do is use Fierfox with the Vista theme -- and this is for practical reasons (if I could be bothered I'd get rid of the blue clouds) ... the vista style layout and space saving (once all extraneous buttons are disable, and the menu bar hidden) is actually a good idea (somewhat like the OSX dock was a corny but good marketing idea)

---,by the time touch sreens become more popular, I would expect that most of the UI features we're used to will have disappeared.
Msoft has realised this and is preparing for it with the 'iconified, tabbed, menubar' ... one whichmaybe even a thumb could point at.

--so themes... yeah whatever... where all going to be talking to computers soon anyway.

Tux.Ice
December 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM
i have to agree i do not like vista or anything to do with microsoft for that matter- but thats another story.

mac os x and mac os xi thems are ok but my favorite themes have to be the unique ubuntu human themes or some interesting themes from gnome look if anyone here wants to develop themes for an os me and some buddies are developing message me or email me at adam@techotec.com

tux

dramek
December 20th, 2007, 05:20 PM
From a tech support viewpoint Linux ability to look and feel like another OS is huge. One of the worst aspects of tech support and user adoption of software is when its a big change to the look and feel of what they are used to. Especially for non-technical people.

If your new to Linux, making your desktop look like another OS, like Windows, can be a great way to settle the feeling of unease when trying to adopt Linux as your Primary OS. Its hard thing for some people. As you become more familar its easier to move into personal customization.

kellemes
December 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM
From a tech support viewpoint Linux ability to look and feel like another OS is huge. One of the worst aspects of tech support and user adoption of software is when its a big change to the look and feel of what they are used to. Especially for non-technical people.

Very very good point, I feel this great 'freedom' GNU/Linux has to offer also is one of the bigger reasons for not becoming mainstream. Not for a long time I'm afraid.

Vaelrith
December 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a 'look-a-like' theme, I can understand how it can help people transition. However, how many themes do we need that look the same.

The real point I was trying to state was 'Why are these themes being downloaded most?' They were all in the top 5, and even further down the list there were a lot more Vista themes.

I saw a trasition pack that made the desktop look completely like mac, so I tried it out, just to see if it could be done. To my surprise, it worked quite well. A guy actually walked in and asked me if I was using Mac OS on a regular PC. I told him no, it's just linux. However, I didn't use the theme long because it just felt like the same old Mac OS theme, which it was.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mac OS X and Vista have some very very nice looking themes. I was just wondering why they are the most downloaded on gnome-look. Are there no better gnome themes out there?

kellemes
December 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I was just wondering why they are the most downloaded on gnome-look. Are there no better gnome themes out there?

I think Apple has fine taste when it comes to theming there systems, people know this and get the look-alike-theme.
Windows-themes will probably be popular because people tend to stick to what they're used to.. mostly Windows I guess.

el_ricardo
December 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
i have a mix of mac OSX and windows vista .... i thought the vista default background looked pretty cool so i have that as my background now, and a vista style window decoration. the top bar, dock, and icons are the mac aspects

i like it because uninformed idiots are always puzzled as to whether its mac or windows vista

check the screeny

aimran
December 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM
IMO most themes out there look unprofessional. This is most likely why people want to copy other OSes themes.

cprofitt
December 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Why is it that 4 of the top 5 most downloaded themes on gnome-look.org are based on other OS's? ie: Mac OS X and Vista

Mac
Something kinda macish
A pretty nice non-look-a-like theme
Something appearing to be Vista inspired
Something else Vista inspired

To be honest -- Apple and Microsoft have come up with some fairly visibly stunning GUIs. Does it matter for function; no... but they make them look pretty.

SunnyRabbiera
December 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
IMO most themes out there look unprofessional. This is most likely why people want to copy other OSes themes.

well there are a few good ones though, I especially like the glossy theme in gnome and qtcurve in KDE

jviscosi
December 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Google windows blackbox. ;)

I actually ran LiteStep with the BlisterSilence theme for a while, but Windows doesn't seem to like it when you replace the shell ... I would develop forms that looked fine on my machine but displayed strangely on a computer running the regular shell, and vice-versa, so I eventually had to give it up. Heck, some of our application forms would get messed up even when I just changed the Windows color scheme. Stupid OS. (Or possibly, stupid custom forms, but I'll just blame Windows anyway.)

SomeGuyDude
December 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM

A-yup. Say what you will about Windows or OSX, those people put a whole lot of time and effort into their default themes and they do tend to look pretty nice. I think Vista's a dang slick look by and large.

It's been an uphill battle to give Ubuntu that same "polished" look that the two big guys have.

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Because GNU/Linux is a geek OS created by programmers not artists. Just take a look at the default theme for Ubuntu, the most popular distro.

MS and Apple employ not just programmers, but talented, well trained commercial artists.

kellemes
December 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Because GNU/Linux is a geek OS created by programmers not artists. Just take a look at the default theme for Ubuntu, the most popular distro.

MS and Apple employ not just programmers, but talented, well trained commercial artists.

There is some truth in there for sure..
Still.. Fedora shows default-themes can be pretty nice.

Incense
December 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM
There is some truth in there for sure..
Still.. Fedora shows default-themes can be pretty nice.

One thing I've always liked about openSUSE is the very clean and professional look of the default desktop.

K.Mandla
December 21st, 2007, 12:51 AM
I'm guilty of this, several times over. I even cut-and-paste one distro to look like another sometimes.

It's not because one is particularly better looking than another, it's just because the challenge is there.

aysiu
June 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Discussion appears to be continued in another thread: Why We Use Mac/Vista Themes (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476242)