PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N800 - to upgrade or not to upgrade

Onyros
December 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
As some of you may know, the new version of the Internet Tablet OS (2008 ) is out and among its features are the fact that they clocked the N800's CPU appropriately. Meaning, it was underclocked in Internet Tablet OS 2007, and now it's back to the original CPU speed (400MHz). They also introduced a new Gecko-based browser.

Now, the thing is, the new OS is supposed to enhance performance a little bit, but the quantity of software around - I'm not a developer, just a user - still is mainly for Internet Tablet OS 2007.

Any N800 users that care to give me some feedback on whether or not to upgrade? Shall I wait a little longer before taking the plunge?

What do you guys think?

BTW, don't be too shy about making this an N800 app & repos recommendation thread, too.

bruce89
December 19th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I upgraded when they released the beta, have never looked back.

There might not be as many applications ATM for ITOS2008 over ITOS2007, but I find the ones I want are there already.

ssam
December 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
i upgraded to the beta of 2008, once xournal was updated for it. (i use xournal for taking lecture notes).

updating to the official version now.

you might want to wait a few days for the servers to quiet down. currently most people are getting the firmware via mininova ( http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13424 ) because the nokia mirror is too slow. the application repos are pretty slow at the moment too.

are there any particular applications you need? if so check if they have been updated for 2008 before updating.

in general it seems like a good improvement over 2007. it is impressive that they can keep squeezing more out of these tablets.

Onyros
December 19th, 2007, 11:13 PM
First of all, thanks for the feedback :)

Xournal is one of those apps I definitely need and use, along with Claws-Mail. I also use the trio of Contacts + Dates + Tasks. I also Skype a bit, as I have a few contacts which use that, and Pidgin handles pretty much all my IM'ing.

I've been reading about WeBot which looks like a great complement for the N800, anyone tried it yet? I thought it was a Windows only app, but supposedly it has been ported to OS X and Linux.

pastormick
December 26th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Just ordered an N800 from TigerDirect here in Canada. They mysteriously went missing from the product base about a month ago, but when they re-appeared two nights ago, it didn't take long for me to order.

I've been pouring over everything I can find out about them; in particular the differences between 2007 and 2008. So far, I don't think I'll be waiting long too update. I am looking forward to this little gem! \\:D/

Mick