PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Symphony Beta 3

laser_in_your_eye
December 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Has anyone had success with Lotus Symphony Beta 3? I was able to get it installed using the various guides for Beta 1, but now I can't open the program. When I click on the icon in the Applications menu, I get the following error:

There was an error creating the child process for this terminal

If I try to open it manually via terminal, I get the following error:

/opt/ibm/lotus/Symphony/framework/shared/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.productivity.tools.standalone.addin_3.0.0. 20071213-2212/apps$ IBM\ Lotus\ Symphony
bash: IBM Lotus Symphony: command not found

If I manually go into this folder and try to open the Symphony icon, nothing happens. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

thanks.

Sandlot
December 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Do not upgrade in Ubuntu 7.10. Completely uninstall the previous version before attempting installation of Beta 3

Uninstall completely:

sudo /opt/ibm/lotus/Symphony/_uninst/uninstaller.bin

Close the wizard and make sure the hidden "/home/[user]/.lotus" file is deleted completely. You may have to take ownership of it to delete it:

sudo chown -R [user] ~/.lotus/

Place the bin file in your root directory and use the following commands in order one at a time.

sudo chmod +x IBM_Lotus_Symphony_linux.bin

sudo /IBM_Lotus_Symphony_linux.bin

Allow the installation to complete and close the wizard.

Use the following line before trying to launch from the menu:

sudo chown -R [username] ~/.lotus/

I have done this on two machines now and it is working well on both.

The OO.org speed tweak also works well.
File>Preferences>Symphony>Memory> change cache size to 128 M.

I hope this helps everybody.

smartboyathome
December 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
When trying to run the installer, I get this:

java: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
JVMDUMP006I Processing Dump Event "abort", detail "" - Please Wait.
JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting System Dump using '/home/aabbott/core.20071221.185351.17530.dmp'
JVMDUMP010I System Dump written to /home/aabbott/core.20071221.185351.17530.dmp
JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting Snap Dump using '/home/aabbott/Snap0001.20071221.185351.17530.trc'
JVMDUMP010I Snap Dump written to /home/aabbott/Snap0001.20071221.185351.17530.trc
JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting Java Dump using '/home/aabbott/javacore.20071221.185351.17530.txt'
JVMDUMP010I Java Dump written to /home/aabbott/javacore.20071221.185351.17530.txt
JVMDUMP013I Processed Dump Event "abort", detail "".
Aborted (core dumped)

I would like to try beta 3. Please help. Thanks. :)

benjamin1840
December 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Smartboyathome:

I had the same Java Dump problem with Fedora 8, but this is how I got around it:

1) Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to exit X.

2) Log in with your name and password at the prompt.

3) Make the .bin file executable, as described by sandlot: "sudo chmod +x IBM_Symphony_Linux.bin"

4) Execute the file in console mode: "./IBM_Symphony_Linux.bin -console"

5) Go through the questions, which offer default responses. (For me, there was a 10-minute gap between each question.)

6) Receive word that installation is complete.

7) Start X back up. (I actually rebooted my computer at this point, since I do not know the correct command for getting back to gdm.)

8) Cross your fingers that there is a new menu entry: Applications > Office > IBM Lotus Symphony.

One last note: since you are a Ubuntu user, you might have to start by hitting sudo-Ctrl-Alt-F1. This could be a problem, since very few keyboards have a sudo button nowadays.

I hope this is helpful.

-Ben

laser_in_your_eye
December 26th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Do not upgrade in Ubuntu 7.10. Completely uninstall the previous version before attempting installation of Beta 3

Uninstall completely:

sudo /opt/ibm/lotus/Symphony/_uninst/uninstaller.bin

Close the wizard and make sure the hidden "/home/[user]/.lotus" file is deleted completely. You may have to take ownership of it to delete it:

sudo chown -R [user] ~/.lotus/

Place the bin file in your root directory and use the following commands in order one at a time.

sudo chmod +x IBM_Lotus_Symphony_linux.bin

sudo /IBM_Lotus_Symphony_linux.bin

Allow the installation to complete and close the wizard.

Use the following line before trying to launch from the menu:

sudo chown -R [username] ~/.lotus/

I have done this on two machines now and it is working well on both.

The OO.org speed tweak also works well.
File>Preferences>Symphony>Memory> change cache size to 128 M.

I hope this helps everybody.

Worked for me! Beta 3 is running... THANKS!

DeadSuperHero
December 26th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Also, don't forget to navigate to:

/home/username/.lotus

then sudo chown -R userame:username .lotus

prince_niceguy
January 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
you can go back to x using ctrl + alt + F7... I am trying to install symphony. Hope this time it works. I have tried in windows and it is impressive.

old_salt
February 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm unable to get either Beta3 or 4 to install on any of my Ubuntu systems both 64bit and 32bit.

Here's my error logfile.