PDA

View Full Version : Gates Foundation influence over disease poor, possibly negative

phrostbyte
December 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gates16dec16,0,3743924.story
(http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gates16dec16,0,3743924.story)

The article is basically claiming the Gates Foundation methods of spending money are largely not effective. Most of the money apparently is going to pay from AIDS medication. Remember AIDS has no cure, so the current AIDS medication just slows the disease and does not cure it. It's also very expensive, and it doesn't help contain the disease. So basically the article claims that the Gates Foundation helped lower the number of deaths of AIDS but also helped sharply increase the amount of people with AIDS at the same time because they aren't doing enough to educate people to avoid spreading the disease. What this does is sort of a snowball effect, now more people need to be on AIDS medication (for the rest of their lives), and it makes the situation very unmanageable because AIDS medication is very expensive that at some point even Bill Gates won't have enough money to support them all.

Personally if I had billions to spend on Africa I would buy the kids lots and lots of OLPCs. Inexpensive and gives Africa what they really need, education. The way to stop AIDS and other diseases and poverty at this point is to education the population on how to avoid catching them and how to improve their lives. Maybe if we find a real cure for AIDS that may be a real solution but simply distribution of AIDS medication isn't really helping the fundamental problem.

rsambuca
December 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
This is just more stereotypical Gates Bashing. Yes, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation donates hundreds of millions of dollars to AIDS treatments, but they also donate hundreds of millions towards AIDS vaccine development research, awareness and educations programs, etc. This is a very one sided and biased article. Would you suggest that all of the money goes towards vaccines and cures and just let the current group of infected individuals die untreated? Ship them off to colonies? Obviously not. There has to be a balance, and the Gates Foundation is doing way more than their fair share.

[h2o]
December 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Oh ffs...
Can we please stop demonizing everything that has touched Microsoft in any way?

The guy gives away more money than you will ever see in your entire life to charity, and you critize it because "it could have been used better"?

forrestcupp
December 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'll bet if you had AIDS, you would appreciate Bill Gates helping you out with medication.

SOULRiDER
December 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
;3980299']Oh ffs...
Can we please stop demonizing everything that has touched Microsoft in any way?

The guy gives away more money than you will ever see in your entire life to charity, and you critize it because "it could have been used better"?

+1.

Help, effective or not, is still help. IMHO the article is rather biased.

lespaul_rentals
December 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Ahaha, wow. Let's play a new game I thought up, "HOW CAN WE THROW POOP AT BILL GATES TODAY?"

Listen, as much as I dislike some of the things Microsoft does, as much as I hate their marketing strategy, Bill Gates gives a lot of money away, and does good things. This article is as moronic as seeing someone donate a 20 dollar bill to a homeless shelter, then telling them it could have gone to a better cause to fight poverty.

KiwiNZ
December 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Yep time to move on