PDA

View Full Version : Guess What Word Is Missinig In The Dictionary?

NoVista
December 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
ubuntu

Error while looking up definition

No definitions found for 'ubuntu''

forestpixie
December 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
what about missinig :)

weblordpepe
December 19th, 2007, 10:59 AM
What are all those cool desktop things you've got?

jordanmthomas
December 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
What are all those cool desktop things you've got?
Cool's not the word I'd use to describe them, but they look like they are screenlets. (Look them up, you'll find info easily enough)

sailor2001
December 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
ubuntu is nʇunqn in ozland

NoVista
December 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
The one on the very top is a gdesklet.
The others are screenlets, with the exception of gkrellm, which is in the lower right.

daynah
December 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
This post is cute, but "ubuntu" isn't english.

If we use the most liberal dictionary (MW) we'll find that "windows' (as an operating system) is also not in the dictionary. Considering this word is know by pretty much every english speaker in the western world, "windows" ranks higher on missing words from a liberal perspective. "Microsoft" is also missing.

I actually was pretty surprised that "windows" wasn't there (wasn't surprised that "microsoft" wasn't) but it just shows that even MW isn't going to put particular products in the dictionary, no matter how widespread their use is.

Oh, and "linux" is not in the dictionary. Probably because MW sees it as a particular OS. MW is seen as too liberal already (remember woot?) I don't see them putting linux in and getting more junk from other dictionaries.

popch
December 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
If we use the most liberal dictionary (MW) we'll find that "windows' (as an operating system) is also not in the dictionary. Considering this word is know by pretty much every english speaker in the western world, "windows" ranks higher on missing words from a liberal perspective. "Microsoft" is also missing.

Just a few years ago I found out that both 'Microsoft' and 'Windows' were missing from the dictionary supplied with Microsoft Office. Presumably, they have fixed that by now.

vishzilla
December 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM
The definitions are taken from The Collaborative International Dictionary of English, that's why Ubuntu isn't included

fuscia
December 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
'gullible' isn't there either.

vishzilla
December 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
'gullible' isn't there either.

nope, its there

mellowd
December 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think ubuntu will eventually enter the English language as a word as long as people continue to use it. English is almost entirely made up of borrowed words.

Currently there are already 2 Zulu words in standard english - Impala and Mamba. (As in Black Mamba, you don't want to go near one of those)

In South Africa we use a few other Zulu/Xhosa/Tswana/Sotho... words but usually as slang.

fuscia
December 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
nope, its there

really? what does it mean? ;)

vishzilla
December 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM

:D you got me there

Ebuntor
December 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The one on the very top is a gdesklet.
The others are screenlets, with the exception of gkrellm, which is in the lower right.

I just installed Gkrellm, great app. Imo better than conky because it's window-like instead of just text on the desktop like conky does.

EDIT: NoVista, what theme are you using with Gkrellm?

fuscia
December 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
:D you got me there

made my day, if that's any comfort to you. :guitar:

vishzilla
December 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
made my day, if that's any comfort to you. :guitar:

no problemo! :popcorn:

Lostincyberspace
December 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Only one word. Vishzilla

weblordpepe
December 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Now I'm confused. At least programatically made sense kinda.

NoVista
December 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ebuntor -- the theme is called D.A.E. gkrellm.

Ebuntor
December 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Ebuntor -- the theme is called D.A.E. gkrellm.

Thank you. :)

daynah
December 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I think ubuntu will eventually enter the English language as a word as long as people continue to use it. English is almost entirely made up of borrowed words.

Currently there are already 2 Zulu words in standard english - Impala and Mamba. (As in Black Mamba, you don't want to go near one of those)

In South Africa we use a few other Zulu/Xhosa/Tswana/Sotho... words but usually as slang.

Ubuntu will not be added as long as it is being used as a technical term; being used as a name for a product (albiet a free one). Ubuntu would only be added if it were being used in the sense it is used it Africa, and it would have to be used frequently (how frequently? maybe about as frequently woot is used).

Another possibility is if the word Ubuntu started taking over correct terms "linux" "gnu" "gnome" "operating system" ect. similar as to how kleenex is used unwaveringly in some areas for tissue (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/kleenex). On the other hand, "windows" is said by MANY people when they really mean "operating system" now, so maybe the dictionary makers are already calling that too technical.

I wanna make dictionaries when I grow up and be a big girl!