PDA

View Full Version : Engineers using Ubuntu?

hambone79
December 19th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I'm just curious if there are any engineers out there that are currently using Ubuntu for engineering work (just a little research for my website: http://linux4engineering.org)? If so, what are your likes and dislikes?

I ran Kubuntu and Pro/Engineer on my Dell M70 laptop at work for a while but I started having weird video delay issues with Pro/E. After that I switched to CentOS and found it to be a little better at running Pro/E (probably because PTC supports Red Hat). Either way, Linux seems to run Pro/E much faster than Windows XP.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, is there anyone out there that is currently running Unigraphics NX on any version of Linux? Before I started my current job most of my CAD experience was in Unigraphics due to my senior design project and an internship that I did. Back then I found it very easy to learn and very easy to use, but it was horribly slow on Windows XP. Does it run faster on Linux? Thanks!

jpittack
December 19th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I am so glad to hear someone is using Linux in the engineering field! I am a student of engineering, in my first year of study. I have been worried about having to switch to windows to support the applications that my business would like me to use.

I have not started using an applications related to engineering. I have downloaded a CAD application but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I will report back in the future!

selda
December 19th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I use Ubuntu on my laptop and planning on running Ubuntu on a new workstation in lab at school (I am PhD student in chemical engineering). I use Comsol extensively and some models require a lot of memory. I have tested Comsol on my laptop and found that Ubuntu has much better memory management than Windows.So my guess is that if you have a program that requires a large amount of memory (several GB) linux might be a better choice.

dsplabs
December 19th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Hi, we use a number of different distros for engineering research at our Signal Processing Laboratory (http://maxwell.me.gu.edu.au/spl/) and we do have a Ubuntu PC for speech recording as well as perception experiments.

ycason
December 19th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Hi, I'm in college right now as a mechanical engineer and I am able to do most things on my Ubuntu laptop. I've got Pro/E, Matlab, and Maxima which covers everything I do in my classes. I've been hearing good things about Solidworks though, so I might be tempted to dual boot for that functionality.

All in all, my computer runs all of the software such as Pro/E much faster than my classmates' computers. This is probably in part because the new laptops around all have Vista sucking all the power out of them. ;)

toupeiro
December 19th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Define: engineering?

I work with Earth Scientists and Petroleum Engineers, but is that the kind of engineering you are referring to?

CAD is a broad term.. Something you design in a Structural or mechanical CAD program will probably have no relavence to GoCAD (http://www.earthdecisionsciences.com/index.html) for example.

hambone79
December 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
toupeiro,

By engineering I just mean anyone who's primary job function is to design, analyze, or simulate something. I guess I really shouldn't narrow this down to just engineers because I imagine that scientists use many of the same programs that engineers use.

I should have been a little more specific about "CAD". Many people interpret CAD as Computer Aided Drafting, but I have always seen it as Computer Aided Design. I believe that CAD is anything that helps you model, simulate, or analyze something.

By the way touperio, are there any other programs that you use in your field?

rajeev1204
December 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
QCAD .Its a good substitute for Autocad .Linux version is opensource.

xl_cheese
December 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Lot's of big gun companies use linux. IBM uses it heavily. Google, Sun...

markusfarkus
December 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I work for a research group part of the Electrical and Computer Engineering department of the University of IL and they are using all Ubuntu including a cluster.

I also work with another admin who works for Physics and they are using Ubuntu for most of their needs.

tech9
December 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
QCAD .Its a good substitute for Autocad .Linux version is opensource.

Cool, I will have to check QCAD out!

atomkarinca
December 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm studying civil engineering and here's the softwares I use on my Ubuntu:

Matlab (has a native client)
ideCAD (both statics and architectural version, through wine)
SAP2000 (through wine)
Autocad 2000 (through wine)

All of them work flawlessly.

kazuya
December 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I access my work tasks using the citirx or web browsed portal to my work environments. I run most of my apps off a server. Working for an Engineering EPC company.

Even in office, although we run on windows XP desktops, we work or login through a citirx client to terminal services or what not. I am still new at this. It works great for us.

phrostbyte
December 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on Engineering on Linux since I work for an Engineering college as a sysadmin and I am surprised with the number of mainstream Engineering suites that run on Linux natively. It would lead me believe that SOMEONE is using them. :)

timr10
May 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Hi Touperio and others

sorry to restart an old thread but I am very new to umbuntu and am interested in installing Gocad on it but could not find any mention of anyone doing it. Have you tried? Does it work? I am pretty new to Linux and am still not across the differences between umbuntu and Red Hat.

Cheers and thanks

tim

Define: engineering?

I work with Earth Scientists and Petroleum Engineers, but is that the kind of engineering you are referring to?

CAD is a broad term.. Something you design in a Structural or mechanical CAD program will probably have no relavence to GoCAD (http://www.earthdecisionsciences.com/index.html) for example.

Giora Rozmarin
October 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on Engineering on Linux since I work for an Engineering college as a sysadmin and I am surprised with the number of mainstream Engineering suites that run on Linux natively. It would lead me believe that SOMEONE is using them. :)

Well, I'm new comer to Ubuntu. My profession is civil engineering (30 years experience) resident in Kenya.

I'm looking for Road (Geometry) design, estimating and project management.

It seems to me that I have very limited choices?

TeoBigusGeekus
October 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, I'm new comer to Ubuntu. My profession is civil engineering (30 years experience) resident in Kenya.

I'm looking for Road (Geometry) design, estimating and project management.

It seems to me that I have very limited choices?

You are wrong my friend. You have NO choices...

Zoot7
October 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I worked as a Design Engineer using Cadence under Red Hat 2 years ago.
My main engineering app nowadays is Matlab which I've running under Ubuntu like a charm. :)

vinutux
October 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Wow..... there are a lot of engineers in ubuntu....