PDA

View Full Version : Toner vs Ink

Black Mage
December 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Toner vs Ink....which do you use, which do you want to use, which is cheaper so basically which is better?

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
One is no better than the other these days from a quality standpoint. Your paper will make the difference.

I use ink. I also print something once a month if that.

If I needed to crank out 35PPM in full color (and could afford the upfront costs for the printer), I would go laser (toner)

If I needed to print a picture every now and again, I would go ink.

If I had a once every so many month need to print in bulk color, I'd go to Kinko's. :-)

I would not buy a printer, ink or toner, that would only do black and white, regardless of how much I used color. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

sr20ve
December 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Ink is cheaper. Toner is better (in most cases).

Laser printers are better than most household inkjets, but they can be expensive, especially if you want color. Laser printers are more durable and print faster than inkjets.

I have a monochrome laser printer, a toner cartridge is about $80.

A set of toner for a color laser printer can run you $300-400, but that will last much longer than ink.

Inkjet printers are basically disposable printers, once the heads dry out or start messing up, the printer is totalled, as the cost to fix it will be more than the printer itself. Whereas a laser printer, if maintained properly can last 10 years or more.

mellowd
December 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Toner, because I managed to get a laser printer that work was throwing out. It's not the best printer in the world but its printing is still 100% and its perfect for most uses

popch
December 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM
The faster ink jet printers print faster than the slowest laser or LED printers.

If photo quality images is your main concern, use either an ink jet suitable for photo work or use a commercial service which does actual photo prints. I have yet to see a color laser printer which matches that quality.

For printing other stuff:

Ink jet printers and consumables are usually cheaper to buy than laser (or LED) printers and their consumables. However, the consumables per page printed cost much more with ink jets than with lasers or LEDs.

Thus, if you print but rarely, an ink jet is the better choice. The larger your print volume, the cheaper the laser or LED gets (per page).

Where I work I usually summarize that by saying:
If you are not going to print anything, buy an ink jet. Otherwise buy a laser or LED.

There must be loads of web sites which compare the costs per page for different printers/papers and whatever.

fatality_uk
December 19th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I just take my images from my Nikon D50 into work and use this:
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/photocopiers/dp-c264/index.htm
Cost per page: £00.00 :D

If forced to print at home, ink.