PDA

View Full Version : The UFOs Thread

Prisma
December 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I am curious about what the Ubuntu community thinks about UFOS. Are they space probes from another planet? are they unexplained aerial phenomena? are they secret US military projects?

Solicitous
December 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071218/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_ufo
Well apparently the Japanese government beliece in them.

fatality_uk
December 18th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I am curious about what the Ubuntu community thinks about UFOS. Are they space probes from another planet? are they unexplained aerial phenomena? are they secret US military projects?

I'm curious to know why you are curious? Hmmmm a CONSPIRACY me thinks :D

Kingsley
December 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071218/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_ufo
Well apparently the Japanese government beliece in them.
I feel sorry for the spokesman embarrassing himself like that. Clearly, he believes that the existence of UFOs is ********.

PrimoTurbo
December 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM
A UFO simply refers to a Unidentified Flying Object. Essentially it could be a large number of things, weather phenomena, birds, planes, meteors etc.

I think it's highly unlikely that they are aliens.

Prisma
December 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I'm curious to know why you are curious? Hmmmm a CONSPIRACY me thinks :D

LOL are you a man in black? :lolflag: I have always been intrigued with this topic, I mean, even the remote possibility of been visited by beings from another place far away from earth is fascinating. Some people say that space travel at speeds faster than light are impossible because it violates Einstein's laws of physics. However, I believe that we humans have a huge ego. We think that if we cant travel at such speeds then its impossible, what if is possible?

dizee
December 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM
All of the above? ;)

There are some seemingly unexplainable sightings amidst the masses of hoaxes - they could be anything really. Most likely they are secret military aircraft. But if even one of them was found to be extra-terrestrial (and intelligently controlled), that would be the single biggest event in human history. Of course the odds against them finding us are massive - but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

It would be pretty damn cool if it happened, until they started enslaving us anyway. :)

fatality_uk
December 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
My 2p. There is without question intelligent life within the Universe. You only have to count, the numbers. Up to 100 billion stars in the Milky Way. Which seems to be an fairly ordinary galaxy. And there have to date been about 100,000 galaxies surveyed. Thats a LOT of potentially habitable planets. Not saying they are heading along InterStella Highway 73 bound for Earth :D

Now take into account that first powered flight for man was 1903, 104 years ago. Think how far we have come since then! We, as a species have been around for about 35,00 years, so getting of the ground has only just happened. Now, think about a galaxy, with a star that twice as old as the Earth ;)

Makes ya think!!! I'm off to don my silver foil hat now, JUST IN CASE :D

popch
December 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM
In that case you might be interested in the book 'light years' by Gary Kinder. Google 'Gary Kinder'.

Investigation into a swiss guy claiming sightings of and visits of ET friends in the backwoods of Zurich. Not great stuff, but good for a chuckle or two.

And no, I do not think that we have been visited by ETs during historical times.

LaRoza
December 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM
UFO's are airborne but unknown, they can be anything, so saying they are: <insertTheoryHere>, makes no sense.

It could be a bird, a plane or superman, or just me with a remote control flying saucer (fun, by the way).

vambo
December 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Apparently, quite a few have been seen close to this (http://www.discovering-distilleries.com/lagavulin) place ;)

jinx099
December 19th, 2007, 01:32 AM
What do you all think of this Bob Lazar guy? He claims to have worked on real alien craft in Area 51.

jrusso2
December 19th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I have done extension research on this subject and there is still no real evidence UFO's are from outspace.

At the present time their cause remains unknown.

I am sure some people have seen something. Their have been some very credible reports but at this time no real evidence has been presented.

Auria
December 19th, 2007, 02:01 AM
The problem with alien theories, is "what do these aliens want?". When you see them they flee, but then if they don't want to be seen why would they fly at night with all lights on or something :) I can't say aliens don't exist, but I can at least say nearly all reports must be crap.

gn2
December 19th, 2007, 02:15 AM
To paraphrase Monty Python, there must be intelligent life out there because there isn't any down here.

jflaker
December 19th, 2007, 02:28 AM
The problem with alien theories, is "what do these aliens want?". When you see them they flee, but then if they don't want to be seen why would they fly at night with all lights on or something :) I can't say aliens don't exist, but I can at least say nearly all reports must be crap.

The flee because we are not ready for this type of relationship. We are ready for the theory of others from other worlds, ALMOST. They LET us see them, but only for a moment. If they have the ability to get here, they certainly should have cloaking ability....

Have you noticed how many wars are are going on or on-going.....and this is between humans! We can not possibly handle interstellar diplomacy, we can't do it with our next door (LITERALLY) neighbors!.

In a general reply to this subject:
The case of life existing elsewhere other than earth is very plausible. Religious zealots will fight you on this, but scientifically and based on probability, you can't deny that life has developed elsewhere. Although, we keep searching for life as we know it.......life may exist as we never knew it could.....

billions of stars with several orbiting rocks each are too high of a number to deny the possibility.

Certain things in our past bother me:
How were the pyramids built to such exacting rock cuts in tractor-trailer sized blocks of 45 ton GRANITE, the next hardest stone to diamonds. The cuts made in MOST of the stones are so exact that the seems between the stones are non-existent. The ENGINEERING alone for a 500+ foot high structure that is the average error being less than a ten-thousandth of the side in equality, squareness, and level. And that is over 4000 years later it is still true to square and level.. Another feature are air vents that go from the most inner rooms to the outside.....Those "holes" were pre-cut into the stone before being put into place. The structure was put together with each block precisely set so each block had it's adjoining channel line up with the next to create the air vents. 50 ton doors on sand traps were also put into place....as the room was done and the body or jewels put in place, the doors were closed and "sealed".......these stones were also places inside of channel tracks....all precut miles from the location!!!!!!!

With the help of computers and "state of the art equipment", we can not come close the the cut accuracy, trueness of level and square on this scale......oh, yeah, the whole structure is interlocked so no cement or mortar of any type holds the structure together!

Over 4000 years ago, the ability to cut granite off site, transport it many miles, LIFT the 45 ton stone into place over 500 feet off the ground and do it accurately.......THEY MUST HAVE HAD HELP. The technology did not exist to do that in a Pharaoh's lifetime..........They had help.....and not from another country, from another place and/or time!!!

Some food for thought

init1
December 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I think it's impossible to say that all UFO's are extraterrestrial presence, or that all are fake. I believe that it is possible that there is life elsewhere in space, and that we have been visited. It is also possible that earth is the only source of life (or at least life how we have defined it).

Nano Geek
December 19th, 2007, 02:43 AM
The flee because we are not ready for this type of relationship. We are ready for the theory of others from other worlds, ALMOST. They LET us see them, but only for a moment. If they have the ability to get here, they certainly should have cloaking ability....

Have you noticed how many wars are are going on or on-going.....and this is between humans! We can not possibly handle interstellar diplomacy, we can't do it with our next door (LITERALLY) neighbors!.

In a general reply to this subject:
The case of life existing elsewhere other than earth is very plausible. Religious zealots will fight you on this, but scientifically and based on probability, you can't deny that life has developed elsewhere. Although, we keep searching for life as we know it.......life may exist as we never knew it could.....

billions of stars with several orbiting rocks each are too high of a number to deny the possibility.

Certain things in our past bother me:
How were the pyramids built to such exacting rock cuts in tractor-trailer sized blocks of 45 ton GRANITE, the next hardest stone to diamonds. The cuts made in MOST of the stones are so exact that the seems between the stones are non-existent. The ENGINEERING alone for a 500+ foot high structure that is the average error being less than a ten-thousandth of the side in equality, squareness, and level. And that is over 4000 years later it is still true to square and level.. Another feature are air vents that go from the most inner rooms to the outside.....Those "holes" were pre-cut into the stone before being put into place. The structure was put together with each block precisely set so each block had it's adjoining channel line up with the next to create the air vents. 50 ton doors on sand traps were also put into place....as the room was done and the body or jewels put in place, the doors were closed and "sealed".......these stones were also places inside of channel tracks....all precut miles from the location!!!!!!!

With the help of computers and "state of the art equipment", we can not come close the the cut accuracy, trueness of level and square on this scale......oh, yeah, the whole structure is interlocked so no cement or mortar of any type holds the structure together!

Over 4000 years ago, the ability to cut granite off site, transport it many miles, LIFT the 45 ton stone into place over 500 feet off the ground and do it accurately.......THEY MUST HAVE HAD HELP. The technology did not exist to do that in a Pharaoh's lifetime..........They had help.....and not from another country, from another place and/or time!!!

Some food for thoughtThey did have help.
Lots and lots of slaves.

init1
December 19th, 2007, 02:54 AM
They did have help.
Lots and lots of slaves.
Actually I have heard that archaeologists have discovered recently that the pyramids were most likely made by paid laborers, rather than slaves. Doesn't really matter though.

Prisma
December 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM

We probably cant understand their behaviour because we don't have the same brain structure and connections they do, we probably see reality in a very different way. Lets not forget that we humans have a tendency to judge everything under our own morals, so just because we spy to each other plotting invasions to other countries, and live in a world were billions of people live in poverty while the other halve live comfortably taking advantage and consuming all the resources that doesn't mean they live the way we do or have even the same intentions and morals.

To give you an example, if somebody punch you in the face, you will automatically feel the urge to punch that person back (even if you actually don't do it). If somebody turn the other cheek we said, "oh, he or she is very spiritually advanced". But for what we perceived as altruism for other species of sentient beings could be a normal behaviour. If you attack an alien, he/she could not respond to the aggression, and its not because they have great morals or higher levels of spirituality but because, if you look it in a very logical way, there is no point in returning the aggression.

We humans have evolved to hit back, and is a evolutionary response to an aggression in a group, Punching the aggressor back gave early humans more chance not to be attacked again by other members of the group and increased their chance to mate, therefore those who responded that way passed their genes to us.

popch
December 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM
We humans have evolved to hit back, and is a evolutionary response to an aggression in a group,

It is a bit hard to prove wheter hitting back is by nature or by nurture, i.e. an intrinsic property of humans or a culturally acquired reaction.

The 'urge' to hit back can be overcome quite easily and normally is when we are 'attacked' (hit, bitten or otherwise 'threatened') by youngs of our own species or by pets.

Among dogs, wolves and chickens the urge to hit back heavily depends on the respective social status.

I rather suspect that it's the same with humans. You hit back against peers or 'subordinates', never against 'chiefs', unless you think you can get away with it or alter your own status with respect to the chiefs'.

LaRoza
December 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I was just thinking of the poll's option "Time Machines From the Future".

What about those from the past?

Prisma
December 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I was just thinking of the poll's option "Time Machines From the Future".

What about those from the past?

Well some people said that will explain the elusive nature of UFOs. Because travellers from the future will be terrified to interact with today's humans and therefore change irreversibly the space-time continuum which basically, according to some physicists, is the grandfather paradox. Let me explain it briefly. Say for example that you go back in time and for some reason you kill your biological grandfather before he met your grandmother, then what? you altered the future, you should not exist. if you go back to the future your existence is the physical prove that your grandfather still alive in the past, how come if you kill him? This is a very complex paradox, and some said the evidence that time travel is impossible. However some solutions to the paradox have been proposed.

Here is the link to wikipedia if anybody is interested to know more about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

some_random_noob
December 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM
The idea of aliens visiting earth is trash. All these stories seemed to pop up RIGHT WHEN the American government started running a high-tech aircraft program. I saw something on tv ages ago, some guy made up the idea of an aircraft which was like a hovering silver disk thingy. Then the US Gov bought the rights to it and then the whole thing went top-secret.

Let's not forget those stories of animals in farms being mutilated. One of the farmers said he got up at night and saw a helicopter which was dressed to look like some kind of spacecraft. Sounds like the work of a government cover-up to me. The story of UFOs was made to mask US Gov aircraft projects.

If aliens did exist and if they did visit us, we wouldn't have known and they wouldn't want to have any business with our crappy little war ravenged planet anyway.

Agreed?

LaRoza
December 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Well some people said that will explain the elusive nature of UFOs. Because travellers from the future will be terrified to interact with today's humans and therefore change irreversibly the space-time continuum which basically, according to some physicists, is the grandfather paradox. Let me explain it briefly. Say for example that you go back in time and for some reason you kill your biological grandfather before he met your grandmother, then what? you altered the future, you should not exist. if you go back to the future your existence is the physical prove that your grandfather still alive in the past, how come if you kill him? This is a very complex paradox, and some said the evidence that time travel is impossible. However some solutions to the paradox have been proposed.

Here is the link to wikipedia if anybody is interested to know more about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

I am familiar with it, and was making a very vague reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which Douglas Adams make a brilliant chapter on Time travel and paradices involved.

Ebuntor
December 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I feel sorry for the spokesman embarrassing himself like that. Clearly, he believes that the existence of UFOs is ********.

I wouldn't say that, his government sure wouldn't be the first one to take an interest in this subject.

The French government has researched the UFO phenomenon for over thirty years. They released their research in March.
http://www.cnes-geipan.fr/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/188750/french_government_release_ufo_files.html

If they think it's complete BS they sure wouldn't invest the millions they did in this research.

The same goes for the FBI and CIA, they too researched the UFO stuff, for more than 50 years IIRC.
All the FBI's reports are available online and just like the French's research they have many cases they simply can't explain.

No matter what the UFO phenomenon is it sure is serious enough for government agencies around the world to invest tons of money and hours in this stuff to get a clear picture.

ice60
December 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM
there are loads of cool UFO videos at google video and youtube. like here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_7XqJ5CfUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOCQk4Kh5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0mSEYXtRoQ
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=aceBryan7ox
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=melah65&page=7
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ufo+files

if it wasn't for online videos i'd know so much more about linux lol.

astromech
December 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I have seen one, it was not of this earth. Lookout.

Lostincyberspace
December 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
UFO: any thing that can not be identified.

popch
December 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM
UFO: any thing that can not be identified.

INFO: Identified non-flying object. Anything which you know what it is and which is not flying.

criskat777
December 19th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I truly believe that you see what you want to see at night. TBS 103 years flying is not even a millisecond in time. And in 65 yrs of flit we went to the moon. why do we think that we are soooooo special that there is no life other then us in the universe. Then add to that that if there is life, they may have been flying for a longer time then we have. Just imagine what humans could do in another 200 yrs. Now imagine what could be done in 10,000 yrs of flit or 100,000. How knows there probably running Ubuntu on there space crafts and keep coming back for upgrades.:lolflag:

Lostincyberspace
December 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
At least its not Microsoft if it was then we would already be dead because their view screen put up the blue screen of death and they crashed because they couldn't see where they were going. and their antimatter containment field malfunctioned and it blew up.

Prisma
December 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
How knows there probably running Ubuntu on there space crafts and keep coming back for upgrades.

:lolflag:

At least its not Microsoft if it was then we would already be dead because their view screen put up the blue screen of death and they crashed because they couldn't see where they were going. and their antimatter containment field malfunctioned and it blew up.

:lolflag:

LaRoza
December 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I make the move than aliens do use Windows.

Take note, in Independence Day, a virus killed an entire mothership, there are technical issues with this: http://computerjokes.net/073.htm, but that doesn't matter.

In the War of the Worlds, they were also killed by a virus.

ctt1wbw
December 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have done extension research on this subject and there is still no real evidence UFO's are from outspace.

At the present time their cause remains unknown.

I am sure some people have seen something. Their have been some very credible reports but at this time no real evidence has been presented.

I have done extensive research on typos, and that's a big one. :)

tech9
December 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM

unidentified flying object

Prisma
December 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
unidentified flying object

We already know that, we are just hypothesizing about what they are and where they come from.

Scotty Bones
December 21st, 2007, 12:24 AM
We are but a tiny spec in the universe. To assume that we are the only intelligent life out there is somewhat arrogant. Statistically speaking it's not entirely that improbable, you just need the right conditions for life to evolve. Have we ever been visited? I hope so. With all our satellite and radio communications we have sure turned ourselves into a large enough beacon.
I have always said "To obtain true world peace and have humanity unite as one, we need someone else's *** to kick :)"